Author Topic: Writting Music  (Read 952 times)

Choren

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Writting Music
« on: March 08, 2006, 09:14:21 pm »
I know that music in greanl has been talked about before, and that you\'re planing on making an interment skill in game.

I just thougt, that there sould be a skill for writing music.  

Like in real life you can write music for the peiol.  You should be able to write it in game.  This would be a job skill, to go algon with the insterment skill.

Why should I speak, if no one speaks?  Why should I approach, if no one approaches?  Why should I hear, if no one hears?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:18:38 pm »
Well, \"Musician\" is listed as a possible job, so in the future, I think it\'s very likely that you\'ll see something like that :)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Pestilence

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:46:40 pm »
hhmmm well that will be difficult to program in such a way that skill means anything.

Not in the very near future I would think I\'m afraid.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 11:05:04 pm »
Bah, it\'s not realistic.  Being a musician isn\'t a real job. :-D
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Vaylos

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Byte-Mixer
    • View Profile
    • Byte-Mix Sound Design
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 01:24:47 am »
Going to have to agree with zanzibar on that one heh, unless you make it big in the videogame or movie industries :P

*gazes at the sky and dreams a bit*
\"For Art to appear, you must disappear\" - Stephen Nachmanovitch

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 02:06:36 am »
Originally posted by Vaylos
Going to have to agree with zanzibar on that one heh, unless you make it big in the videogame or movie industries :P

*gazes at the sky and dreams a bit*

Commericals and country music are common sources of income as well.
Immaturity is FTW.

Vaylos

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Byte-Mixer
    • View Profile
    • Byte-Mix Sound Design
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 02:55:10 am »
Ah right commercials, that\'s another good source.  Er...and...I kinda avoid country music like the plague, so I dont\' know anything about how lucrative it is lol.  After growing up with my dad listening to it on the radio all the time, especially on the road, I can\'t bare to listen to it anymore.  It grates on me like rap music hehe.

I can see how it might be a good way to start.  I think one of the voice actors from Baldur\'s Gate 2 was a country singer. The lady who voiced Viconia.  Don\'t know the name though.

Anyways, so I\'m at least a -little- on topic, I think adding minstrels or musicians would be a good idea, and I guess it\'s planned since those skills exist. But I don\'t know about actually writing music....I suppose it could be possible in a crafting system...much like writing a book. Need certain skills, materials, etc.  Not sure how that could be made to be practical within the game though, er...the end result I mean.

If you\'re writing vocal music, I can see maybe having randomly generated stories or something being sung by a minstrel.  But if it\'s purely instrumental, I\'m not so sure that could work too well, since writing music generally implies writing new music. Stuff that\'s never been heard before.

I dunno *shrug* maybe it could be done, maybe it\'d be too much work.  I could see having words to go with someone\'s musicianship within the game though, so that might be feasible.
\"For Art to appear, you must disappear\" - Stephen Nachmanovitch

mbr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 03:29:21 am »
Music skills... reminds me of bards. In another game, where one can RP as a bard, music skills can be trained too. But the training infuriates people as they are considered disturbing, much like the kids next door starting to learn the trombone or violin...

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 03:38:03 am »
Originally posted by Vaylos
Ah right commercials, that\'s another good source.  Er...and...I kinda avoid country music like the plague, so I dont\' know anything about how lucrative it is lol.  After growing up with my dad listening to it on the radio all the time, especially on the road, I can\'t bare to listen to it anymore.  It grates on me like rap music hehe.

I never said that the people who write it necessarily like the music....
Immaturity is FTW.

Choren

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 07:54:41 am »
Who do you think writes the music for your fivorwit artis.

You also need to consder the time perod of the game, and a person offen writen there own music.  Do you think you can get a sheet of music for free.

How much do you acully know about the music insdutly to begain with.

Rember we are talking about in the game, and not in real life.  Some one could become a reully good musinetion and get paid a lot of tries.  Dose he wont to buy otheres music, or to paly his own.

To put a music stemt in you just accluy would need to record each note spratly in to the progarm.  Then you could probley do it, but I don\'t know progarming.

Then when you play the instrument, you would just look at the notes, and play them, and in the begain make lots of mistakes.

It is spaly puting notes on to a sheet of paper.  The hard part with acculy be progarming the notes that condersapen to the musitcal notes on the insterment.  

The notes may not even be the notes you see in this world.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 08:07:27 am by Choren »
Why should I speak, if no one speaks?  Why should I approach, if no one approaches?  Why should I hear, if no one hears?

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 08:12:11 am »
My favourite artists are poor. :-D
Immaturity is FTW.

Choren

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 12:58:17 pm »
I was not talking about how rich you can become, most macition are poor.  I am not a maction.

We just noict the ones that are rich more offen then not.  The thing is you should enjoy your job in my appone, and it dose not matter if your rich or not.

Clayzekiel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 01:54:34 pm »
The thing Choren said

Sorry I don\'t understand Swedish... Or any other demon language to that matter.

Anyways, I don\'t see how they could actually implement music composing depending on character skills.. At first you could only use a part of the notes, and when you\'re better, you can make chords and all? : P

Maybe certain songs become available meanwhile you gain with the skill? At first you could sing something which would sound like a kran in a shower and afterwards something better. Same would go for playing of an instrument.

Personally I\'d like to see real composing in the game, but on the otherhand that could lead us hearing some IRL music ingame :/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 02:13:57 pm by Clayzekiel »

Choren

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 02:34:33 pm »
Then there would need to be rules, that apple to music.

Rerogo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 05:15:43 pm »
not being farmiliar with the PS netcode, I\'m not sure how hard it would be to pipe midi over it. but I am fairly sure midi playback isn\'t very hard, so this could concievably be implemented very quickly, if it was a priority

Disclaimer: Rerogo knows nothing about the PS code, so the above is probably very wrong

Waurelie Rerogo