Author Topic: Servers.  (Read 757 times)

killercow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Servers.
« on: January 30, 2003, 08:33:48 am »
This is probabily the most obvious post ever but...

It would be a good idea to create several servers for different functions. I.e. There would be one server allocated to noobs and 2 or 3 others to the rest of the world.  The noob land would be a place of no PKing and would teach them basic skills. Once a certain level was reached then off they\'d go to the real world. The real world would have different areas, or themes to them...i.e. there would be a snowy land to the north and a desert land somewhere south and a more lush area elsewhere. And in order to reduce server problems between each area the player would be transfered from one server to the other.

Of course, yes i am aware of the initial cost of these beasts (the servers), so yes i do think it is a good idea to take it one step at a time. :P
But as we are all well aware of, there is even lag now with simply 2 or three players at a time! So this problem needs to get sorted.  :]
A Killer Cow will always beat the Clever Cat.

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 08:40:41 am »
Actually, the lag that you have in Atomic Blue, is because the graphics aren\'t fine-tuned in thet demo. In MB, this should be a lot better, since the CS engine we use keeps improving. (go jorrit :)))
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 08:47:59 am by ParaSite »
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

killercow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 08:47:14 am »
Oh ok, but I do still think that there should be a noob area etc... (i know this has probabily been mentioned before, just too tired to look). Oh but about the different areas...Im sorry i didnt realise it was all meant to be based in a cave island thingy.

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 09:02:27 am »
newbie-areas are often praised by new players. But without knowing it, those areas are really the worst start you can have. Every thing lies around waiting for you to do it, without the beginner knowing how to get it etc..
 The best way to learn things is by asking players who already know it and by learning it in the \'big world\'.

-Xolon-

killercow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 09:18:38 am »
I do agree somewhat to what your saying. But if a PKing system were to be introduced there would HAVE to be a noob land, otherwise noobs would be easy targets in the main land from stronger, more experienced players, and yes there are evil people who would literaly steal candy from a baby and until the noobs get a fair control over the different commands, attacking, defending, movement etc... and begin to learn how to survive in the planeshift world, they shouldn\'t have to suffer to the hands of evil tyrants  :P  
Let them have a chance first and then when they get into the mainland they\'ll still be noobs to some extent and will still need the help of more experienced players.

Creathor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 12:27:01 pm »
I thought that there will be no PKing, there were numerous discussions and the Devs decided that there will be no player killing. Some people still try to change this fact but the final word is with the Devs.

so if u want a noob server for their protection it\'s unnecassary.

visit Mirth @ http://www.mirth.34sp.com/
Join BISM @ http://bism.tk
Member of the Communist Party

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2003, 12:36:15 pm »
*EDIT* Want to make this clear so nothing is missunderstood. There is another game in development, I will not say its name, that has a very promissing PK, woops I mean PvP system. It has even me, a very hard core anti PvP person thinking twice about it. If this game can make this PvP system work and it eliminates everything that was ever bad about PvP, like it claims, then their might and I stress MIGHT be a new arguement with strong facts and figures to reopen the PvP issue. But until this system prooves itself there is no thought of adding a PvP system other than arenas and guild wars.

About the servers though... I have to be completely honest with you. If you happen to have the servers to donate to the team then I would not expect to see too many different servers, let alone ones dictating to a style of play.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2003, 01:48:55 pm by Kendaro »

Creathor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2003, 12:43:03 pm »
Originally posted by Kendaro
A new system is in development that if it works, just might change our stand on that matter... *Grins Evily*

Am I hearing things? Does this mean that...
I don\'t wanna get too excited yet, but keep us updated.

Just one final note, u guys rock :)

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2003, 02:28:04 pm »
DON\'T get your hopes up, just because one developer wants PvP, that doesn\'t mean everyone is going to want it, and fans don\'t count they have no say.
The Great Linksunius

Creathor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2003, 08:27:21 pm »
That sounds even better Kendaro, see no need to worry Link, PS is safe from PvP.

But I guess all that is far off in the future, so I\'ll just focus my enthusiasm at MB. :)

david

• Traveller
    • View Profile
hahaha
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2003, 03:59:25 pm »
link hopes there is no pvp cuz to many ppl will beat his arse

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2003, 04:18:09 pm »
Did I miss something?  Link has another new person trying to annoy him?  That never works out....

Anyways, I don\'t see PvP happening in PS, but if they eventually change their mind, I don\'t think it will matter much because it will probably be a lot more restricted than most others.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 04:21:33 pm by Kiern »

david

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2003, 04:22:55 pm »
seems like link is not very popular hhmmmm wonder why could that be his lack of interpersonal relationship skills???????   or maybe he does not get laid enough. hhhmmm I wonder why maybe he is just a grammer geek that why!!!!!

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2003, 04:29:49 pm »
Actually, david, a lot of the people who have been here for a little while (and some new) do not hate Link...just because you seem to like following him around does not mean others do too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 04:30:17 pm by Kiern »

david

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2003, 05:18:38 pm »
plz read thread in general discussion Link is killing the game
« Last Edit: January 31, 2003, 06:02:24 pm by david »