Author Topic: The horse, to PS  (Read 1218 times)

Avangard

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: The horse, to PS
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 09:04:38 pm »
WARNING: I have not been playing for more than a week, and it is getting late over here so my ideas might go hayewire (did I spell that right?), but I have read the wishlist rules.

Well... if you want a revolutionary idea, there are only three things that I haven't seen sugested in this thread yet:

Submarine Creatures - Maybe something along the lines of fish, or perhaps more along the line of serpents. It would be VERY hard to hold your breath for a long amount of time, but there are ways to tie that in. For one, there could be an amphibious race, or the submarine creature could have a "bubble" which could hold the player inside (wierd idea, but it would actually make it even more unique), or the creature would be rather fast, but the rider would have to hold his/her breath... If you're interested, I have more ideas, but it would make the post into a rant if I wrote all of them.
:thumbup: Pros:
  • Entirely revolutionary - I have played a lot of other MMORPGs, and I have yet to see a submarine creature of any kind other than fish. (By the way, thumbs up to the PlaneShift dev team for the crafting system, no other free 3D MMORPG has such a system! \\o// )
  • Opens up a door to a big submarine world and port cities - I think this would make gameplay very unique since physics in water is entirely different than physics on dry land. The world might be easy to model, but the physics might bitte, then again, I have no idea X-/
  • (I think) much less hastle in navigating the transport, assuming you can travel on, or below the surface of the water.
:thumbdown: Cons:
  • It would be very bad for gameplay unless there was an underwater universe. Such a world would have to mave some sea creatures, and maybe a submarine town (I have a seperate idea for that)
  • A surfacing mechanism, a docking mechanism, and a cargo loading/unloading mechanism would have to be present.
  • Waves for when you go above water...
  • :-X It might just be too hard to implement in such a way so as to provide good gameplay

Marine Creatures - Ones that float on water, and maybe even walk on land... very slow on land though... like... turtles, but maybe a more unique shape.
Almost the same pros and cons as the submarine creatures... it would be a good idea to have huge seas or lakes, and a few islands if you plan to implement practically ANY sea creatures on or below water. Which may or may not be hard to do.

Subterrain Creatures - I'm not sure about this one... but you couldn't ride it under ground, you could only lead it from above ground. It would be a cargo creature.
:thumbup: Pros:
  • Not much to implement, maybe a mound that moves around behind you to represent the creature following you around, and perhaps a script for the creature popping up for you to load and unload cargo.
  • You could add unique features such as the creature actually finding ores as it moves below ground, or it could even help you battle.
:thumbdown: Cons:
  • Mainly a con for the players: You can't have it follow you through mountainous or rocky terrain, I mean, how do you expect it to keep up with you?
  • I'm not exactly sure if the surfacing would be hard to implement or not.
  • You would have to leave it outside of town because you wouldn't want to ruin the pavement when it surfaces.

And then if none of those ideas are to your liking...
Giant Fleas:devil: heh, Might sound strange, but who says that crawling, walking, and running are the only ways to get around? We've all heard of fleas, those little bugs that jump... eh... FAR for their size... wouldn't that be a sweet ground-based transport or what? Hey, it could have disfunctional wings too which do nothing except give it the ability to glide. Theres room for it to become a cargo creature as well, with such powerfull legs, when you weigh it down it will move like a rabbit, one small hop at a time... or like a dinosaur, one heavy step at a time... whichever... And it doesn't have to look as good as a flea either  \\o//

Well... that's my 4 cents on the subject.

Eh... I'll take a look tomorrow to check if there is anything I should change or organize, but I had to jot the ideas down or I would lose them in my sleep ;D

Natrina

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Dark Empire
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 09:20:42 am »
 First of all, one sees you haven't read much of the PlaneShift settings, as there is actually supposed to be some levels of the Yliakum that are underwater and some of the races can breathe underwater, such as krans that don't actually breathe at all.

Other then that, I do agree submarine creatures should look more like serpent and dragons and being like that other the just fishes, even though a fish race among them wouldn't be bad. The means of transportation of underwater being will have to be dependent of the means of how underwater cities are, but I think they don't have a sistem for air breathers, so underwater creatures only have to care with transportation and not with providing air to the occupants.

The idea of marine creatures that are turtule-like is nice, there should be an implemention of some water-land animal, should save us merchants having to go around lakes and the like.

Subterrain creatures, that's wierd. And I can't actually see how you can guide those beings (or even know where they are) if you can't mount them as, well, you can't see through the earth. Still, a being big enough to carry people, something like a giant mole would be nice as they can store things in their cheecks - imagine putting some round occupant boxes, big enough for the mole not to swallow it, that would take people around -, ahaha, that's really strange.

"I had a dream of a Golden Darkness."
Guild Leader of The Imperial Trades.
Hail the Dark Empire

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 10:03:05 am »
Imagine putting some round occupant boxes, big enough for the mole not to swallow it, that would take people around -, ahaha, that's really strange.

That is the strangest thing I have ever heard!  :D
I love it!
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Avangard

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 02:18:28 pm »
Subterrain creatures, that's wierd. And I can't actually see how you can guide those beings (or even know where they are) if you can't mount them as, well, you can't see through the earth.

I mentioned up above... you could just have a mound of dirt following the owner around... the real problem is loading the cargo...
EDIT: As for the not being able to mount the creature... you could try surfing on that mound of dirt... that would be sweet.

I still like the mole idea, especially the cheeky part, but  it wouldn't exactly be subterrain.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 02:20:58 pm by Avangard »