Author Topic: Carrying weapons  (Read 2134 times)

Zhaxor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Carrying weapons
« on: October 25, 2007, 09:33:38 am »
I looked around but couldn't see if this has been mentioned as a wish, but, carrying weapons at all times?

------------------------------------------------------

Scenario:

Zaxor walks into the shop waving two double bladed battle axes around and says "give me a philter of intelligence".

Shop owner dives behind the counter gibbering in fright and screaming "HELP, I'M BEING ROBBED!"

------------------------------------------------------

Now that's what should happen, but what actually happens is that the shop owner blithely ignores the axes and chats away in a friendly manner.

I personally try to be consistant to the setting, if I am in the wild I carry my axes out, in town I put them away, after all people in the tavern swinging axes and swords and all sorts of weapons would surely attract the guard. Now I am not saying that if someone does walk around with drawn weapons they should be set upon by the guard, a much simpler wasy of doing it would be to have the NPC's refuse interaction if the player has a weapon equiped.

A simple, "now friend put the weapons away while in my shop or I will call the guard," type blanket response would suffice

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Carrying weapons
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:47:51 am »
In general yeas, people should not trade with someone with weapons in his/her hands.
Sounds easy to script, but:
how will you distinguish people who carry their weapons just for the sake of carrying <-(weird) or they intends attacking someone from people who are just trying a weapon to see if it works good for them. Yeah, in the middle of trading they equip weapon. Or maybe they are repairing it and someone want to trade?
In short, if you have weapon equiped, it doesn't mean you want to kill or threaten doing so.

It's just never as easy as it looks. Though a complex of features enforcing different behaviours are needed, i don't think they came into the game fast. behaviour which is normal for real world, isn't normal for a game anymore, because of lack of different enforcements. All you can do, is RP well, although it doesnt always work.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Drakon

• Traveller
  • Its all whatever from whoever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:05:42 am »
Game vs real life:

Weapons vs Cell phones.

A weapon in the hand of a make believe character on the screen of a computer isnt really a big deal. Consider it like a cell phone. There are always those who don't use them sensibly according to other peoples standards.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 11:09:18 am »
You have to consider it from an IC point of view so take your post and swap cell phones with guns and you have the general idea.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 11:12:32 am »
how about this, you need both hands 'free' to trade at all... since you will need to in essence grab another item with your hands.

Though I would like to see a animation one day where whatever weapons you have equipped could be sheathed away, onto your back.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 11:31:30 am »
how about this, you need both hands 'free' to trade at all... since you will need to in essence grab another item with your hands.
No, read above.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 11:34:15 am »
But there is a physical limitation on being able to trade and carry weapons is what he is saying. You can't repair a weapon and take the item you are purchasing at the same time can you?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 11:47:34 am »
yes you can.

You approach the shop salesman and ask, can i have this apple? Do you need your hands free in this moment? No.
You need them when you pay or take the apple.

If not this you basically ask for something like this: Open trade window to see what is there, Close trade window, open inventory to se if you can carry it, close it. Open trade to see which of these swords exactly you are interested, close trade as you need to open inventory, equip a sword you got a hour ago, to see how it feels, close inventory. Open trade, sell the weapon and buy another.

Add to this technicall issues, like lagging cursor and you faster go to guns shop and shot yourself in the head.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 11:51:48 am »
Or.. open window, buy weapon?

The moment that you open the trade window is pretty much you initiating the question 'Can I have X.' That means that when you click to confirm you should have a single free hand at least, maybe two depending on the item.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 12:00:58 pm »
You can't buy weapon when you don't know if you want it.
You open trade when you want to look what's in shop.

but yeah, to hell with ergonomy.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 12:09:56 pm »
...That means that when you click to confirm you should have a single free hand at least, maybe two depending on the item.

Carry on and look. Its still weird to run into a shop with weapons drawn and say that you'd like to see their wares. How about people just don't run around with weapons? In most muds if you don't have free hands items drop to the floor. Seems to me to make sense.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 12:55:59 pm »
...That means that when you click to confirm you should have a single free hand at least, maybe two depending on the item.
so, two hands, because you have to analyze always  the worst situation.
Its still weird to run into a shop with weapons drawn and say that you'd like to see their wares. How about people just don't run around with weapons?
Yeah, i gues everyone in this thread thinks like that, but there is no word about how to accomplis it in relation to what i said.
In most muds if you don't have free hands items drop to the floor. Seems to me to make sense.
With one hand, you hold your kid with ADHD, with the other you try to get off the money to pay, finally you pay, the ice-cream guy gives you the change, you take it into one hand and then he drops the ice cream on the floor, along with the MUD rules making sense ;P Especially that its the ice-cream guy floor he will have to clean and thats why he drops ice cream there ;P

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 01:04:30 pm »

so, two hands, because you have to analyze always  the worst situation.

I don't get what you mean.

Yeah, i guess everyone in this thread thinks like that, but there is no word about how to accomplis it in relation to what i said.

Unless, now I know this is really out there but, unless people actually realise how silly it is.

With one hand, you hold your kid with ADHD, with the other you try to get off the money to pay, finally you pay, the ice-cream guy gives you the change, you take it into one hand and then he drops the ice cream on the floor, along with the MUD rules making sense ;P Especially that its the ice-cream guy floor he will have to clean and thats why he drops ice cream there ;P

Usually a product is received before any monetary transaction. You take ice cream and give it to child. You pay and take change.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 01:27:30 pm »
So, be it anything, something you have to pay attention, a ringing cellphone, you have to check, the ice cream must land on the floor and pring that situation inside a game, i'm sure someone grab it the moment it is dropped^^

btw, we now don't drop things when suddently we can't wear all what we have, exactly because of that, it was silly, but yeah, call what i say silly and ignore fdifferent points of viev.

They could be valid, but it doesnt matter, you want people to walk with hidden weapons and the means doesnt matter.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 01:31:27 pm »
I think you misunderstood. I meant that its silly to run around with weapons all the time, not that everything you say is silly. I just find it really strange that people can have their hands ful yet have things magically appear and disappear from their pockets.