Author Topic: Herbalism  (Read 2279 times)

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Herbalism
« on: January 15, 2009, 01:38:23 am »

As an herbalist that RP's healing daily I would like to request a diversity in what items can be made with herbs. It appears that potions will be the main stay but I am speaking of being able to create healing recipes...salves, herbal teas, smelling salts, poultices. I imagine it could work much like cooking, for example, you could boil down tefulsang lard and herbs to make a salve. That would make Siteya a very happy Priestess!

Thanks for your consideration

Kempeth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Herbalism
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 02:40:03 am »
I second that. Some diversity beyond the omnipresent potions is a great idea. I could imagine that the strong potions with immediate effect would be much more demanding to produce - both in terms of skill and amount of ingredients - while salves, teas and the sort would be simpler but weaker or simply work slower.

Teas could simply be a weaker form of potions.
Salves could provide slow but prolonged benefits like increased healing speed.
And Potions would be more the quick bang solutions.

This would be especially interesting if additional conditions would be introduced like bleeding, broken bones or diseases (like TES Oblivion) which require specialized treatment.

There's also the potential for drug like substances and of course poisons...

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 03:34:14 am »
This is good for the development of the skill itself indeed, and for its fun part.
For customers, on the other hand, I wonder if the lesser forms of healing would have any appeal at all. Considering how fast we heal naturally, the use of magic makes sense only during fights, in which the fastest and most powerful formulas, i.e. potions, will be chosen.
I believe lesser forms of healing would work with non-regenerating characters. And as well with healing being a higher level spell, thus a less common one.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 03:38:42 am »
I too think this is a cool idea, especially since there are so many herbs and plants out in the wilds. It would make the harvesting of them more of a skill, and like spells, the combinations could be a learned/ taught art form, aw well as invite some cool rp opportunities.
 :thumbup: says I!
Oh, I am,
Roled
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 03:57:48 am »
I think this is a great idea as whenver things are more fully implemented and I feel like actually leveling things, my character is intended to be good with herbalism and applying it to healing. Having a diversity of things would be great to separate it from alchemy.

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 05:10:43 am »
Maybe the standard regeneration rate will be nerfed to make such products useful (poultices, salves etc) as always we must remember that nothing is set in stone, and also that the current regen rates are still based on a time when to regen you died or waited.

I also would love to see such things available ;o)
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

zinder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:24:29 pm »
Aside from additional recipes, perhaps some things need preparations? Some herbs can't be used fresh, but need to be dried, smoked, boiled or otherwise processed before they are usable as ingredients. Maybe different preps of the same herb can have different effects in recipes.

And the more powerful potions could have side effects? There is a similar trend with real life medicines: the stronger they are, the more unpleasant side effects are possible and likely. So the strong potion causes a hit on stamina or temporary lowers some stat, possibly as a delayed reaction, the char might develop an addiction or a (temporary) resistance.

Bguy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 06:05:12 am »

smelling salts

Stamina is fully or partially healed (the jolt to the system) and damage is taken (the strong smell).
That way, there can even be diversity among the herbalism-bade items. Who says that potions can only heal health?

Akeera

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 06:48:13 am »
*Trepor sprays poison*
*Your armor takes damage of 35%*
*You are infected by trepor bacteria*
*Trepor bacteria lowers your health for 3 points each second*
*Trepor bacteria lowers your mana for 1 point each second*
*You'll need a herbalist's help...*

auction by Akeera: EMERGENCY! need a Potion of Cure Poison as soon as possible. also interested in buying a Potion of Poison Resistance

:devil:

TomT

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:04:46 pm »
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I am always looking for ways to try to get as many people contributing as possible.  So I created the following document to see if we can get some new crafting material.  Remember it is usually easier to choose from items that are already in the game. No guarantee that these will make the game but I hope we can have some fun with the salve idea.

Creating Simple Craft Content
Crafting in Planeshift is a series of processes that change one or more items into new items.  The steps for creating simple crafting such as adding new steps to an already existing craft are the same as creating a complete new set of crafting skills.  It is just a matter of scale.

The first step is defining the craft content – how you want the craft to play out.  Then the craft definitions are formalized in the form of a spreadsheet to make it easier to add to the game’s database.  Finally, all the support work is done by different groups of developers; creating new artwork, integrating the craft into the game settings, creating placing items in game, programming the NPCs, etc.

Let’s just talk about the first step, defining the craft. Here are the things we need to define:

1.   Design item.  This is the crafting or recipe book that needs to be equipped.
2.   Final item with descriptions.  These are useful item(s) and the descriptions the attributes that make them useful.
3.   Base ingredient(s).  These are usually somewhat common items that are easily found or bought.
4.   Optional intermediate item(s).  These can also be useless items that lead nowhere.
5.   Process.  The process is how the items are made.  Each process is defined by one or more of the following:
a.   Tools.  Any needed items that need to be held while crafting.
b.   Containers.  Anything used to contain items while they are being crafted.  This includes containers used in combining items.
c.   Skills.  The primary skill needed to perform the craft and an optional secondary skill.

Now we need to describe how everything interacts to create the final item.  One way to show that is in a simple diagram.  For example:
 [Item 1] --- [Process] --> [Item 3]
[Item 2]/

Let me start.

1.    “Simple Salves.  A large random set of salves collected from many difference sources.â€
2.   Jolt Salve.  Does small increase in stamina recovery over a fairly long time.  Also does small amount of damage each time it is applied.
3.   Blessed Nettle Leaf, Sugar, Water and White Oak Sap.
4.   Blessed Nettle Tea.
5.   Processes:
  a.   Seeping.  Combining with water on a small stove with very little herbal skills.
  b.   Reducing.  Cooking slowly on a small stove with very little herbal skills.

Blessed Nettle Leaf --- Seeping --> Blessed Nettle Tea
          Water /

Blessed Nettle Tea --- Reducing --> Jolt Salve
           Sugar /
            White Oak Sap /

Prolix

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:19:55 pm »
So you seep the nettle until it becomes tea and then you reduce it to a salve while mixing in the sugar and the white oak sap. Is the nettle specially blessed in a previous step or is it just "blessed nettle" in name?

sounds like a reasonable transformation.

TomT

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 07:24:28 pm »
blessed is part of the name - probably because of its value - but that is an interesting idea

zinder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 10:53:35 am »
I don't know which items are already ingame, so i will give a description of the properties.

1.   â€œSimple Salves.  A large random set of salves collected from many difference sources.â€
2.   Burn Salve.  Treats skin irritations including rashes, hives and simple burns. Numbs the skin and costs a little stamina each application.
3.   lightly poisonous fruit, alcohol, solid vegetable fat
4.   poisonous liqour
5.   Processes:
  a.   Pickling. Combining a fluid and a fruit in a jar with very little herbal skill.
  b.   ???. Combining with fat on a stove with very little harbal skill.

lightly poisonous fruit --- Pickling ---> poisonous liquor
   alcohol /

poisonous liquor  ---- ??? ----> burn slave
  solid vegetable fat /

Rigwyn

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 04:04:50 pm »
* bump *

Just curious, is someone actively working on populating the db for herbalism ? I get the impression that there is some interest in this ... Perhaps people would reach out and help if given the opportunity and perhaps an outline for what sort of concoctions are desired.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 09:38:14 pm »
right now no, it's postponed