Author Topic: Traveling Time gets old fast.  (Read 4113 times)

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Traveling Time gets old fast.
« on: October 04, 2003, 11:12:29 pm »
What are everyone?s thoughts on travel?  I believe that the developers have decided against things like teleporting.  Right now I think teleporting in PS is not needed.  If the world gets substantially larger some sort of magical travel would be good.

I say this because if the towns are far apart and the spaces are generally empty it will add a bit to realism but will not add much to the enjoyment of the game.   One square virtual tree begins to look a lot like the next set of pixels real fast.  Heh, usually in the amount of time it takes to find the next tree.

I have read a few posts on the subject, and some people do not realize just how much time it takes to travel. Even if it only takes ten minutes of real time to get to where you are going that time can be an eternity if you are on a corpse run.  Assuming you have to do such a thing in PS.  Some might think I am too lazy, and I am spoiled because I played a teleporting class in EQ.  I think I have been spoiled by real life.  I am used to traveling at 100kmph or faster. Watching my character walk through town is painful.  One of the first keys I find is the run key.  I don?t think I am alone on that.  

On the other hand flying does sound like it would rock.  In EQ I would cast levitate and cheetah speed (or SOW)and run off a hill to get the effect.  Real flying would be even better.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 11:13:33 pm by derwoodly »

Nikech

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 01:47:58 am »
There will be flying creatures for travelling and carrying items in Planeshift if I\'m not completely wrong. But if cities are far from each other a magical way of travelling would be good, no one wants to spend half of their time online moving from place a to place b.

Loremaster in the Arcane Order

\"That was when I realized that the light I\'d seen at the end of the tunnel was actually the headlight of an onrushing locomotive. \" -George R. R. Martin

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 03:44:37 am »
I am also against the idea that no magic travel will be made available whatsoever... In a game as huge as PS undoubtedly is going to be, if there isn\'t going to be any teleporters (or other means of fast-travelling apart from the flying creatures) the game will be majorly crippled IMO.. the people who actually enjoy walking extreme distances ingame aren\'t a common sort!

If you have ever played daggerfall, or morrowind, imagine having to WALK all around the game area, without any other means to travel than your horse (in daggerfall) and no fast travel being available....! booooooooooooooooring....

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 07:45:34 am »
I found that teleporting ruined EQ. So I think that it should be limited. Maybe by having a room in a few cities on each lvl where u could pay to teleport to one of the other cities which have a teleport pad, or a level one above or below yours. This allows quick travel between levels, and quick travel between cities which are far from each other.. At a fairly large price. You have to pay again each time you teleport. I think that this allows people who need to travel far quickly to do so, but because of the cost, make it too expensive to do very often.

Does this make everyone happy?

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 10:47:41 am »
\'Sigh\', this \"teleportation\" thing is starting to annoy me.
Read this old thread instead and maybe you understand why teleportation would ruin the game.

http://www.planeshift3d.com/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=2382&boardid=11
« Last Edit: October 05, 2003, 10:48:38 am by Fanomatic2000 »

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 11:11:07 am »
Originally posted by Xalthar
If you have ever played daggerfall, or morrowind, imagine having to WALK all around the game area, without any other means to travel than your horse (in daggerfall) and no fast travel being available....! booooooooooooooooring....

Actually, I did walk everywhere in Morrowind...  I hated silt striders, and boats were no fun.  I have been known to use an Intervention now and then (mainly in combination with mark/recall to carry heavy loads), but not usually.

Teleportation would completely ruin the game.  Transportation is supposed to be a hassle for commoners in Yliakum.  Now, if you have access to a Pterosaur or a lift, that\'s traveling in style.

Since lifts are mainly owned by merchants, I think the most reasonable way to handle those would be allowing players to use them after completeing a quest (or series of quests) for the merchant.  Or by paying some sort of insane toll.

I\'d also like Pterosaurs (or that other one, I forgot its name) to be two seat, allowing people to transport each other.
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus

KwartzTheKran

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 11:13:52 am »
Travelling should be a main aspect, seeing all of planeshift, and travelling itself being part of the questing-ness teleporting skips so much, and walking keeps u healthy, teleposters should be fat...

-----I\'LL LEAVE YOU ALL BEHIND-----      ( *hugs Moogie* - sorry )

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 12:39:09 pm »
Originally posted by Grakrim

Actually, I did walk everywhere in Morrowind...  I hated silt striders, and boats were no fun.  I have been known to use an Intervention now and then (mainly in combination with mark/recall to carry heavy loads), but not usually.

I did that the first time too.. but when I became a vampire the second time I played the game through, it bored the crap out of me.

You are able to \"complete\" Morrowind, you aren\'t able to \"complete\" PS since it\'s ever evolving, so you will be stuck with your own two feet when having to go vast distances. Now I\'m sure I\'ll still play PS if there is no fast travel (I\'m not easily scared) all I\'m saying is that there will be a good chance that no fast travel equals boredom for a whole lot of gamers.. And I\'m sure I\'ll become one of those eventually... (poor me huh :P)

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2003, 01:30:44 pm »
If there comes a time where it is needed by everybody, I\'m sure that it will be put into PS in some limited form.

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2003, 01:50:37 pm »
I can\'t figure out why so many of you seem to imagine there be large expanses of nothingness to travel across.  I haven\'t really played any other MMORPGs, so I don\'t know if that\'s common there, but I can\'t imagine why the world designers would do something like that.  Getting there is half the adventure, so I imagine that there will be plenty of things to deal with on a journey, and plenty of places to find you weren\'t looking for I should hope.
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
Truth
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2003, 02:44:31 pm »
I dont have to worry ill be rich and have a flying dude faster than you can recite the complete english french spanish german italian chinese japanese and others languages
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2003, 02:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by Wedge
I can\'t figure out why so many of you seem to imagine there be large expanses of nothingness to travel across.  I haven\'t really played any other MMORPGs, so I don\'t know if that\'s common there, but I can\'t imagine why the world designers would do something like that.  Getting there is half the adventure, so I imagine that there will be plenty of things to deal with on a journey, and plenty of places to find you weren\'t looking for I should hope.

If you haven\'t played any other mmorpg\'s you wouldn\'t know what you are talking about... Most online games, such as Anarchy, Everquest, Asheron\'s Call 2 and Dark age of Camelot, have VAST and i really mean VAST area\'s of nothingness that you would be forced to traverse were there no teleporters (And guess what, these teleporters are far from abundant, but they ARE there, and that is a great help)
In all of the games mentioned above the landscapes are beautiful to behold the first one or two times you pass them by, just like in real life, and then they become as boring as everyday life... What I\'m trying to say is, that it just gets boring to walk the same distances over and over again, and you will be going to do that, trust me...

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2003, 02:53:54 pm »
Wanna bet?

*Starts on English*

A
AA
AAA
A & R
AAP
Aardvark
Aardwolf.......... and so on.......
Zymotic
Zymurgy

*French next......*

:D  :D

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2003, 03:47:40 pm »
Originally posted by Xalthar
If you haven\'t played any other mmorpg\'s you wouldn\'t know what you are talking about... Most online games, such as Anarchy, Everquest, Asheron\'s Call 2 and Dark age of Camelot, have VAST and i really mean VAST area\'s of nothingness that you would be forced to traverse were there no teleporters (And guess what, these teleporters are far from abundant, but they ARE there, and that is a great help)
In all of the games mentioned above the landscapes are beautiful to behold the first one or two times you pass them by, just like in real life, and then they become as boring as everyday life... What I\'m trying to say is, that it just gets boring to walk the same distances over and over again, and you will be going to do that, trust me...

Well, maybe that\'s the problem, eh? Instead of using the traditional solution (i.e. teleporters), why not kill the problem at its source: Lack of content!  Wouldn\'t you much rather walk to the next town if there was the chance for exciting adventures?  

The problem is, that\'s a difficult problem to solve...  I think one thing could be our biggest strength and weakness, the volunteer team.  Biggest strength because it would be possible to raise a huge dev team, perhaps even the biggest in MMO history; biggest weakness because, well, you know, volunteers.
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus

Wedge

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2003, 04:05:04 pm »
Well yeah, and it\'s not like you have to spread content over a vast expanse, just a more moderate region.  Skewing realism, in this case, the realistic distance to travel between places in favour of better gameplay should always be taken.  These are video games, and logic needs not apply where it is inconvenient.  Now obviously there has to be some level of traveling so that the flying creatures aren\'t made worthless, but given the value of those creatures, you even less want to devalue them with teleporting.  

And certainly going places is something I don\'t see me doing anyway, I plan to wander wherever I feel, with no particular destination.  It would be cool if places weren\'t all known or listed, if they weren\'t official areas, but the world was more a cohesive place that the majority of was not specifically labeled as being one thing or the other.  Now obviously the entire world would be desinged with regions in mind for certain things, MOB fighting, player settlements, resource searching, whatever.  But if all the gameplay elements had the potential to exist almost anywhere, with only different %\'s of what was where, it would lend to a more natural flow that makes the world feel more whole, as opposed to a bunch of connected levels.  Ummm but I guess I\'m wandering into a whole nother\' topic here now...

So while I\'m at it this thing-> :baby: looks like a guy with a little bit of hair and a beardstache instead of a baby.
Ninjas have feelings too.  Mostly they feel like dancing.