Author Topic: weapons are rare.  (Read 9673 times)

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
weapons are rare.
« on: February 17, 2004, 08:49:40 pm »
Well i think weapons should be very hard to get in this game. Weapons should be some of the rarest most precious items in the game. Espcially good ones. Weapons should not be found on monsters, except select humanoid creatures. Weapons should also only be created by smiths. You get good weapons, by finding a good smith, and showering him with money and excelent materials. I feel way too many game put swords and weapons EVERYWHERE. But whatever. It doesnt matter. As i have found out my oppinion doesnt mean much around here.

Cyrandir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 08:56:25 pm »
I think i agree for once with whemmy, though for possibly slightly different reasons.  The relative scarcity of weapons in a game llike this would help to downplay the hack-n-slash idea that everyone has about MMORPGs.  Almost everyone may have a pockt knife or small dagger, but few people may have a claymore or greatsword.  This would help bring emphasis on RP and on working a regular job, instead of being an adventurer who just happens to do something else on the side when monsters are scarce.  Also, non-dungeon quests would come into higher usage (i.e. get less ridicule) as people try to accumulate enough resources to create a decent weapon to enter those dungeons.  I think this is a good idea and a good step towards creating as realistic an environment as possible.

\"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.\"    - Galileo Galilei

Keitac2000

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 09:06:31 pm »
ok good weapons should be rare and defenatally cool ones should be too, but serously if i only have a 2 inch pocket knife, how in hell am i gonna get that rare glowing bastard sword?  i think generic weapons should be farely common, atleast enough so that you can get started with something semi decent

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 09:16:57 pm »
you can use that penut knife to kill. it wouldnt take that long to get a sword. there are other ways to get money, to earn materials and get a sword crafted. If you cant do much other than fight, you can always use your penut knife to kill npcs and take thier money. This brings up that fact that battles shouldnt take forever. Battles should be fairly short actually. If your stronger than a rat or beaver, you can kill a beaver in a short time. if 2 people fight with pocket knives they can only physically take 9 to 10 stabs. even in a fairy world where your 10 times the normal strength you still would physically not stand 10 stabs in the gut. I dont know, i like the idea of realistic fighting but i guess some would not as this would radically change idea of the game and it would almost be unrecognizable. But anyways back to the point. It should be very hard to get weapons, but hardly impossible or very lengthy at all. However i am not asking for this to be implemented in cb. i would rather cb be what it is supoosed to be, a tech demo. We should get a feel for combat and good weapons, then the devs should take them away and start making a realistic game.

Cyrandir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 09:26:17 pm »
what whemy said. execpt that I don\'t think they should take them away completey, just make them more expensive like MB
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 09:27:45 pm by Cyrandir »

\"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.\"    - Galileo Galilei

Dalec

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 09:26:44 pm »
I would agree with you except I think this would detract from the fun factor of a game. Sometimes, you must sacrifice realism for fun in games. I don\'t know about you, but I would rather be able to jump into a gaem and find weapons and treasures off things I killed right away. Perhaps a limit on the number of weapon drops per day could be used-however I don\'t think this would really be very doable.

I think that monsters should have weapons, but maybe only special Boss monsters. Not Boss as in epic or quest, but perhaps like the \'Gang Leader\' would have the money and intelligence to use weapons, and therefore you would have to kill a group of enemies to get one weapon.

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 09:35:44 pm »
first of all i didnt mean \"take them all away for ever, hahaha you lose\" but i meant as in a realistic fashon like i will now describe. If weapons were rare, people would value them alot more. This would be fun to me. I get on forums, games like outwar.com, newgrounds.com and other places where really fun things you get are earned (experience points, posts, money and stuff). I dont know why I am addcited to them but every thing i have earned that has taken me along time to earn, i REALLY enjoy. i would like weapons to be one of them. The only reason i dont have a galkard right now is cus the game is too laggy and i need a new comp. I dont know, maybe im screwed up in the head, but i really enjoy things that take me days, weeks or years to earn. This is probally why I enjoy rpgs so much. Not so much the killing and rping but collecting and making a cool character which i can stand back and say \"wow that took me 2 months to create.\" But oh well, i like games and things i earn like that so i would love weapons to be one of them. Plus the small fact weapons are hard to create in real life (years of work in some) and they shouldnt be as easy to get as in other mmorpgs (and rpgs in general)

Samoth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 11:42:11 pm »
I think this is an excellent idea!

First it will give more value to the weapons that smiths do create.  This encourages crafts which is good.

Second keeping weapons rare will be more realistic and I think it?s possible without detracting from game play.  Especially if some common weapons (staffs, knives, poll arms, etc.) are still readily available.  Historically, a good broad sword cost as much to a medieval knight as a car costs to us today.

Third, common treasure should only be ? well common.  A good weapon is invaluable and making them common only waters down the fine name of the warrior caste.  I always thought it was weird the random treasure thing.  Killing mobs should not just be a mechanism to populate the world with +1 swords.  The treasure should be only experience unless another player actually lost items when they got killed.

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 11:56:07 pm »
ahh good thing my hands are my weapons. Of course I\'d have to buy some combat gloves, claws, katars, or something, dOh! Oh well since I don\'t plan on ever using a bladed weapon, polearm, axe, or ranged, it doesn\'t really matter to me :)
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

Limping Pimp The Penguin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 08:48:55 am »
The Idea of making weapons rare is an interesting one, but would probably be more acceptable to more people if specific weapon types are made rarer or more expensive that others, or if you make certain weapons rarer depending on wich part of the world you are in.

for instance- a basic spear is nothing more than a pointy stick, and a quarterstaff is even more basic than that- it stands to reason that a weaker person could do a reasonable amount of damage with a quality made spear, but a quarterstaff would be- and is easier to make, find, yet it takes some skill to use one properly- meanin that anyone could bash around with one, but after a little training and it could easliy match a group of well trained swordsmen- though if they ever DO get a hit in it sould be far more devastating.

another weapon that could be deadly- but may take more training, and would be pretty easy to find and use- would be the basic bow, -though Im really not sure what the plans for missle combat are .

so basically I agree that SOME weapons should be made rare, a sword or solid warhammer would and still do cost a small fortune in this world. but bows and staves, basic spears and clubs, were weapons that wouldnt be found out of place in any commoners home, and might not do the potential dammage of more expensive weapons, but in the right hands could be devastating and cheap

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 08:59:17 am »
*has only read the first post*

In the middle ages, in real life, good weapons were prety hard to get if you were poor... Though almost every peasant had a normal butcher knife, or a simple hand axe for choping wood...

So if you want to make the game more realistic in the sence of having good weapons be less common, you should make good quality weapons VERY expancive and normal weapons cheep so everyone can buy them.

Example:

Butcher Knife=50 tria
LongSword=10000 tria

Simple Hand Axe= 100 tria
Minitour Axe= 15000 tria

Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.

Ald'Amun Dungeonrunner

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2004, 09:18:51 am »
Object to Buy Trias Hexas Octas Circles
a pint of good beer 2 tria - - -
a lunch in a tavern 5 tria - - -
leather pants and shirt 25 tria 2 hexa, 5 tria - -
a good steel sword 350 tria 35 hexas 7 octas 1 circle, 2 octas
farmer\'s one month salary 250 tria 25 hexas 5 octas 1 circle
healthy, trained pterosaur 45,000 tria 4,500 hexas 2,400 octas 180 circles

and there you have it...so this entire thread was a waste...this is just my way of saying I wholeheartedly diagree...

^Made by jcterminal

Limping Pimp The Penguin

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2004, 09:45:32 am »
so by disagreeing are you stating that you beleive weapons should be cheaper?
even if this is a useless topic, its just adding an agreement with the current state of affairs, in wich case, by your responce you are agreeing with the topic at hand
even though its redundant, its okay to agree.

Ald'Amun Dungeonrunner

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2004, 10:20:20 am »
I am disagreeing with the idea that weapons should be expesive, and stating that we should just go the way they already have it...and I think you\'re confused...you\'re contradicting yourself...1 does not = 0...sorry bud

^Made by jcterminal

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2004, 10:40:54 am »
did you see that a farmers monthly wage couldnt even get him ONE longsword. I would think that would stand to say that it would be pretty difficult to obtain one. Its not like you should find them laying out in the street somewhere. It should take many days to earn enough money through odd jobs and the such to earn enough money for a weapon as deadly as the longsword. really you just contridicted yourself right there in saying its already done and done. But whatever its up to the devs anyways. They can do whatever they feel is prudent and wise. BUT in my opinion weapons should be very rare and should take time to earn, not just find somewhere.