Author Topic: weapons are rare.  (Read 9747 times)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2006, 04:22:45 pm »
Good point about the economy at the end of your post.

Originally posted by BrotherCaine
I agree with your statement:
I mean what happened to the gear of the intrepid adventurer who failed to slay that ulbernaut.  Are all monsters finicky about peeling that adventurer out of his armor before eating him?

You can sure bet that the armor will be damaged beyond all repair by the time it\'s in something\'s stomach :P Or not beyond repair, but simply not worth the effort - chewing, grinding, swallowing, digesting, can have various interesting effects.

I do think that if monsters drop weapons they should generally be rusty and/or broken.

Damaged/broken weapons aren\'t going to sell for a high enough price to give you what you want, and they\'re certainly not going to come out in a good condition. Moreover, I honestly do not know of any critter that can handle swallowing (large) blades, and survive through it.

Hides having value makes sense, other stuff not so much.  Maybe when alchemy gets implemented they can be components in preperations.  Or perfumes, ala ambergris.

Or just crafting :) Everything can be used.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2006, 06:41:07 pm »
Currently, the thing I find most unrealistic is looting monsters for money... Why would a trepor carry trias around?

Speaking of equipment, I find it strange that adventurers carry their belongings to the Death Realm. In my opinion the equipment should stay in the realm of the living, while the body moved to the dark asilum. People would value life accordingly in Yliakum this way...
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2006, 11:37:26 pm »
Corpse runs, Yeah Baby!

Bring back the good ol\' days.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2006, 12:51:22 pm »
Originally posted by Sangwa
Currently, the thing I find most unrealistic is looting monsters for money... Why would a trepor carry trias around?

Speaking of equipment, I find it strange that adventurers carry their belongings to the Death Realm. In my opinion the equipment should stay in the realm of the living, while the body moved to the dark asilum. People would value life accordingly in Yliakum this way...

If there some sort of banking system, then yes.  Otherwise, it would be as inconvient as taking /tells and guildchat out of the game.  Keeping your items is unrealistic, but necessary.

If you loose a random item that you have equipped, I\'d be down with that.  But not your entire inventory.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2006, 05:06:29 am »
Yes, no one likes to loose all there stuff and be forced to go back to there corpse and collect it.  But, it sure adds to the pain of death, and it makes a bit more sense then taking it all with you.  And, as a side benifit, fighting in the death realm will have to be hand to hand.  

Even with that system, you still don\'t have loose all your stuff because is can be set up so only you are allowed to loot your own corpse.  It makes the looting of corpses a bit *unrealistic* but in the PS world it is consistant because you are already not allowed to loot the kills of other players.  

If for some wierd reason the Development team does go with an EQ style corpse run system, I would hope that they would add more moster drops.  In other words, if I loose all my stuff, the monsters should too.  I like the good ol days when every rat dropped an eye, and rat fur.  Now that they drop tails, they should drop all three.

Mindari

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2006, 08:03:44 am »
yea, and consumers should drop 1,000 teeth, 2 antena, 6 legs, hides, internal organs, and the remains of whatever they had for lunch, evertime you kill one :P

but a magic forcefield stops other people from picking up the teeth e.t.c. and if you dont \"loot\" it within 26.763 seconds of killing it, laanx spirits the remains away to the land of the magic purple hamsters. :P :P :P

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2006, 12:48:43 pm »
Originally posted by derwoodly
If for some wierd reason the Development team does go with an EQ style corpse run system, I would hope that they would add more moster drops.  In other words, if I loose all my stuff, the monsters should too.  I like the good ol days when every rat dropped an eye, and rat fur.  Now that they drop tails, they should drop all three.

If you kill the rat by smashing it in the eye, then it won\'t loot an eye.

If you step on its tail or crush it or cut it in half during battle, it won\'t loot a tail.

If it\'s fur is too damaged, then you can\'t loot it as a pelt.

It makes sense that you can only loot some things some of the time.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2006, 07:31:03 pm »
That would be good if the system compaired your fighting skill, weapon or spell used and caculated the drops based on some complicated formula, but usually the game just drops one or two items on a master list of drops and does not care weather or not you were using a wet sponge to kill rats or a spell of disintegration.

I don\'t want better looting to increase my coffers, I want to be able to complete a rat tail quest without killing 200 rats just to get 20 rat tails.  I also don\'t want to fight a humanoid creature who is weilding a sword and wearing armor and finding not even a scrap of leather armor or a broken sword.

Idealy if I kill with a spell of disintegration there would be nothing to loot, and if I kill with a well placed arrow I should be able to loot everything, but this seems like a long way off in the level of *realism* in games.  I would just like to see more attention given to what drops.  

If I understand the new loot code, PS is going in the oposite dirrection of what *I* would like to see.  I don\'t expect my one opinion to change how PS is done. It is just my hope that I am not the only one who feels this way.

[edit grammer worse than my normal bad grammer]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 07:33:09 pm by derwoodly »

bushidobull

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2006, 03:52:49 am »
Originally posted by Kixie
Well i think weapons should be very hard to get in this game. Weapons should be some of the rarest most precious items in the game. Espcially good ones. Weapons should not be found on monsters, except select humanoid creatures. Weapons should also only be created by smiths. You get good weapons, by finding a good smith, and showering him with money and excelent materials. I feel way too many game put swords and weapons EVERYWHERE. But whatever. It doesnt matter. As i have found out my oppinion doesnt mean much around here.

hey Pick up a rock and it is a weapon
what weapons are you talking about,,.

*edit*

Originally posted by Cyrandir
I think i agree for once with whemmy, though for possibly slightly different reasons.  The relative scarcity of weapons in a game llike this would help to downplay the hack-n-slash idea that everyone has about MMORPGs.  Almost everyone may have a pockt knife or small dagger, but few people may have a claymore or greatsword.  This would help bring emphasis on RP and on working a regular job, instead of being an adventurer who just happens to do something else on the side when monsters are scarce.  Also, non-dungeon quests would come into higher usage (i.e. get less ridicule) as people try to accumulate enough resources to create a decent weapon to enter those dungeons.  I think this is a good idea and a good step towards creating as realistic an environment as possible.

OMG how boring ..

*edit*

Originally posted by Keitac2000
ok good weapons should be rare and defenatally cool ones should be too, but serously if i only have a 2 inch pocket knife, how in hell am i gonna get that rare glowing bastard sword?  i think generic weapons should be farely common, atleast enough so that you can get started with something semi decent

I agree

*edit*

Originally posted by Kixie
you can use that penut knife to kill. it wouldnt take that long to get a sword. there are other ways to get money, to earn materials and get a sword crafted. If you cant do much other than fight, you can always use your penut knife to kill npcs and take thier money. This brings up that fact that battles shouldnt take forever. Battles should be fairly short actually. If your stronger than a rat or beaver, you can kill a beaver in a short time. if 2 people fight with pocket knives they can only physically take 9 to 10 stabs. even in a fairy world where your 10 times the normal strength you still would physically not stand 10 stabs in the gut. I dont know, i like the idea of realistic fighting but i guess some would not as this would radically change idea of the game and it would almost be unrecognizable. But anyways back to the point. It should be very hard to get weapons, but hardly impossible or very lengthy at all. However i am not asking for this to be implemented in cb. i would rather cb be what it is supoosed to be, a tech demo. We should get a feel for combat and good weapons, then the devs should take them away and start making a realistic game.

Yeah there is other ways to get the sword/dagger/Claymore/ Steal it.(aka Grab and run)

[ Your senseless posts are utterly unnecessary, and your double-double-double-posting makes kittens cry. Please try to be useful, or don\'t use the Wishlist. ]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 04:14:23 am by bushidobull »

A true warrior is always armed with three things: the radiant sword of pacification; the mirror of bravery, wisdom, and friendship; and the precious jewel of enlightenment.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2006, 05:31:45 am »
As about the player death:
As always, i propose the idea which came out with the first information about DR (dig the ps news)

When you die, only your spirit move to DR and body together with all items are left in the world of living where you died. The body and items are protected by DR god aura which don\'t allow to touch it and steal whatever was in the possesion of died person. The body could possibly rot very slowly if nobody take care about it. So the faster you manage to escape from the DR, the better for you.
As many people pointed out in some very old topic, we would have loads of bodies everywhere which you can\'t touch or you die.
The answer is simple. We have cult of Laanx and Talad, so it\'s obvious there should be also cult of DR god. Besides doing all the stuff what worshipers like to do, they would take the bodies from the streets to places where they would be no problem. They have trust of DR god and thus he gave them right to touch the dead bodies. Of course this allow for robbery, but you don\'t want to steal from the God of death, don\'t you? Besides not first better guy from street can have this job.

Once you die, your body, your soul and your iteams are all DR God possesion. But only your soul move to the world of death and body with items is always present in the world of living.

So, obviously when you escape from DR, you dont appear always in the same spot! That is the most silly and unlogical idea ever. And if we have it now, I hope it is only because of programing issues. When you escape DR, you wake up in the place where your body was in the moment you escaped. In many cases it is the place where you died.

It is so very old and so very good idea. And i can\'t look at the half ideas people propose instead.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2006, 01:49:46 am »
Originally posted by Nikodemus
As about the player death:

So, obviously when you escape from DR, you dont appear always in the same spot! That is the most silly and unlogical idea ever. And if we have it now, I hope it is only because of programing issues. When you escape DR, you wake up in the place where your body was in the moment you escaped. In many cases it is the place where you died.

I think what your saying here is that when you die in game all your equipment stays on a corpse at the spot where you were killed and a spirit avatar of your character is sent to the death realm.  Then when your spirit avatar escapes the death realm your characters body would come back to life at the spot your corpse was at.

That would work if when you \"come back to life\" you have at least 50% of your health so you can run away if need be.  Even still it could be a bad situation if you are faced with certain death when your corpse comes back to life.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2006, 06:25:27 am »
I think what your saying here is that when you die in game all your equipment stays on a corpse at the spot where you were killed and a spirit avatar of your character is sent to the death realm.  Then when your spirit avatar escapes the death realm your characters body would come back to life at the spot your corpse was at.

Exactly.
That would work if when you \"come back to life\" you have at least 50% of your health so you can run away if need be.  Even still it could be a bad situation if you are faced with certain death when your corpse comes back to life.

It indeed wouldn\'t be good if you came back to life with almost 0% hp. 50% sounds good in my opinion.
It is true that you can die in very unfortunate place so that everytime you escape from DR, in few seconds of life, you die again ;)
But it is all our fault then, it is important to not overestimate ours skills. But if it happen that we do, then i gues it is good to have friends or find in DR someone who would be willing to help you clear from monsters the are where your body is.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Hirogurth

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2006, 11:09:44 pm »
I think everyone already agrees so whats the point of putting more post up accept making it into a petition so heres my vote yes weapons should be rare
(only read the first page)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 11:11:21 pm by Hirogurth »
Gravity's a myth... Earth sucks

Alose

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2006, 12:29:44 pm »
Hello PSers,

here my 2 trias.

I think good weapons should be rare. There ruined weapons of the rare should also be rare. But I think ruined blades should not. I also think that you should be able to loot armer and ruined armer. That said I would be nice to have the skill smiting and repair weapons/ armer so those who practice it can make the ruined ones good again.
Greetings and good health,

Waoredo Aluse
Walker of the Death Dealm

We live on unstable grounds

a19183

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Niko's idea
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2006, 02:19:24 pm »
Hi,

from all the ideas to realize a \"Death-System\" i like Nikodemus\' idea most.
First if all it is something different than realized in other Games, as far as I know.

I would suggest to do as the following:
1. You die ;-)
2. Corpse and belongings stay where they are
3. Soul enters DR or something like that
4. Soul has to find a way out of DR
5. Soul respawns at a random place in PS (maybe limit in radius as the PS-world grows)
6. Soul and corps have to reunion

Maybe even the lost of a item should be integrated,
but then i would like to have something like a storage.
(As in real life I don\'t allways have all my belongings with me, do you?)

Just a suggestion!!

Greets
Markus