Author Topic: weapons are rare.  (Read 9674 times)

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2006, 02:20:04 am »
I think Kixie missed my point about a dozzen posts ago.  So I will restate it.  Wheather or not I can make a weapon in modern times should have nothing to do with weather or not my character in the PS world can get one.  As far as I can tell, PS is set some where in the iron age.  Metal is expensive, but available to even peasants in the form of plows and nails.  

I believe Kixe propose making adverage swords and axes rare and having most fight with hands and feet.  I thought this to be a little limiting and also begging the question, how come they don\'t pick up a pitch fork or some thing to fight with.  I also believe Kixe does not think an improvised farm tool can kill as it would be too weak to stand up to heavy abuse.  To this arguement, I would say some farm tools are designed to kill.  As tough as it might be to craft a reliable killing weapon it would be even harder to slaughter your livestock bare handed, and even harder to butcher them without even a sharpened jaw bone to help you.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY! It shoud be the quality of the weapon that is rare.  Fine well pollished steel weapons should be rare.  And Enchanted weapons should be almost unheard of.

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2006, 05:44:17 am »
Originally posted by derwoodly
I think Kixie missed my point about a dozzen posts ago.  So I will restate it.  Wheather or not I can make a weapon in modern times should have nothing to do with weather or not my character in the PS world can get one.  As far as I can tell, PS is set some where in the iron age.

No, it seems you MISSED my point, which I posted a dozen times.

Being able to craft a weapon yourself is extremely relevant, seeing as we are in a day and age where finding metal or other very sharp surfaces is extremely common. However, the point to my experiment was the fact that even though you may find a vast library of implements to use, you would still find it extremely hard to make a weapon due to the fact that anything you craft would most likely fall apart in less than a minute of beating.

Sure, you may be able to chop a guy in half, but I doubt it would last less than 30 seconds of beating. That\'s the whole difference between a weapon of any quality, and a low quality mass of melted steel. That\'s why those japanese katanas you get from the flea market cost 30 bucks, while the authentic ones made from actual weapon smiths cost over $1000.

Prevelant amounts of ore and metal wasn\'t the point to my thread. The difficulty of making a real weapon that could withstand the stress of actual killing was the real reason I made this thread.