Author Topic: weapons are rare.  (Read 9656 times)

Ald'Amun Dungeonrunner

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2004, 10:44:29 am »
Farming is a poor profession...adventuring is high risk, but also pays extremely well...That\'s also not just any longsword, it\'s a \'good steel sword\'...there\'s a difference...I agree that extremely powerful weapons must be rare, but just basic iron longsword\'s wouldn\'t be....they\'re essential to survive....

^Made by jcterminal

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2004, 10:46:01 am »
Personally, I don\'t think a scrub adventurer should make very  much at all.

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2004, 10:47:58 am »
yeah really it adds to the romaticism of it all... hehe im at school... hehe im such a horrible student... oh well....... the forum troll strikes again!

Ald'Amun Dungeonrunner

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2004, 11:22:55 am »
Adventuring is an extremely profitable profession, the only reason more people don\'t do it is because it takes so much skill and is so risky...you kill stuff...doesn\'t get much more profitable than murder, sadly enough....you kill an adventurer and you can double your money...if that\'s poor, then I\'d like to see rich...;)

^Made by jcterminal

Deddarus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2004, 11:47:46 am »
consider this:

PS has a high number of adventurers
if swords are easy to find in loot adventurers will find, say, 10 a day
adventurers will have about 40 swords by the time a farmer can afford 1
adventurers will not want to use the duplicate swords
adventurers will sell their unwanted swords
prices that adventurers sell swords for will drop due to competition
farmers will now buy swords from adventurers for much less than the original (quoted) price
Smiths will become useless

in summary.. if the cost of an item is high then it should be rare or other industries will suffer

Ald'Amun Dungeonrunner

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2004, 11:51:45 am »
and that\'s what we call depression...good items=expensive...average items=cheap...just a basic sword would be cheap, while a vorpal great sword of wounding+5 would be expensive...you do realize we are completely agreeing here...don\'t you?

^Made by jcterminal

Deddarus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2004, 12:11:24 pm »
the point i was making was that the devs (from what was quoted) want the value of \'a good sword\' to be such that a farmer would have to save for a month to get it.. and that if such swords were common then that wouldnt be the case

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2004, 12:14:53 pm »
well even if the so-so items should be somewhat expensive. I dont want to see \"rusted longsword\" on ever monster i encounter, or around every corner on the ground. there shouldnt be any spawns for something as important as a weapon of death.

Olig

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2004, 01:26:29 pm »
In medival times, hardly any farmers had swords. You know what they had? Rusty scythes, pitchforks, or maybe a heafty branch.

I say yay to the rare good weapons, for I had posted a similar thread before about super weapons.

http://www.planeshift3d.com/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=7528&boardid=11&styleid=3&sid=615143c51e598cbc48ec63385878e018

However, dealing with enemy loot is a sensative issue. While not being able to loot their stuff will keep the immense wealth at bay, looting their items is more fun and realistic. How about you receive a rusted or damaged version of the weapon after you loot the enemy? That way, the weapon will break easily and be almost worthless compared to a new one, yet still handy for a farmer for one or two battles if he has no farm tools to use (I\'d use the farmer\'s scythe. :D)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 01:27:34 pm by Olig »
Beware that I am distorted in my wording if you do not understand me at all.

SnowWolf

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2004, 01:49:04 pm »
First off, I have to tip my hat to Whemy who has been arguing very intelligently in this post - a very pleasant surprise!

Next I have to say that I agree with him 100% - keeping the number of decent weapons in circulation down is critical to the idea of the PS experience system.

I won\'t repeat the finer points of this arguement because they\'re well known by anyone who knows their stuff.

Instead I present for your approval the following analogy...

In Hollywood MANY people are trying to make it big and score hot acting jobs, however, only a SMALL percent of these people ever make it to the point where they can consider it \"profitable\" - instead they take on small parts in addition to their normal jobs for the shear love of what they do, in the small hope that they\'ll one day get lucky. So when someone says, \"Is acting profitable?\" the answer is really no, save for the exceptional few who have the right mixture of talent and luck.

This is what I imagine the adventurer in PS to be like and this is why it is key to make good weapons hard to come by - everyone who tries their hand at adventuring cannot succeed (or at least succeed with ease) if it is too easy it is not fun for anyone - this is universally true.

Another note is that although peasants would have things like knives and axes they would be TREASURED items even though they were of little value. Losing a key tool like your ax or knife would be a major loss in medieval times and could even prove fatal.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 01:51:24 pm by SnowWolf »

From the Ranks of the Arcane Order

SnowWolf

Ald'Amun Dungeonrunner

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2004, 02:06:43 pm »
and here we are still agreeing...powerful items need to be rare, but average items should be at least fairly easy to come by for an adventurer...by average items I mean nothing with magical properties except maybe extremely weak ones such as a one time use scroll with weak effects or whatever. If adventuring wasn\'t a profitable occupation...then why take the risk? It\'s illogical and inefficient according to what you say....I wouldn\'t want the world\'s most dangerous job if I wasn\'t getting payed well or at least getting some major benefits...

^Made by jcterminal

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2004, 02:08:23 pm »
I have an idea! Maybe metal should be rare in Yliakum. Most swords people start out with are hand-crafted wooden swords that will break quickly, but are easy to make.

Nice?

rumblebelly

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2004, 02:27:04 pm »
staying on the farmer idea even farmer\'s would go to war in certain circumstance\'s and they would take the metel from around the farm and puond them into sword\'s and such. most farmer\'s have to learn to be a smith in one form os another by neccesity.
then after the war they would turn there weapon\'s back into farm tool\'s .
if man didn't take chance's the moon would still be made of cheese  8)

Ald'Amun Dungeonrunner

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2004, 02:29:51 pm »
I\'m done with this discussion, as it is clear that we are all firm in our views and we are going nowhere...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 02:30:09 pm by Ald'Amun Dungeonrunner »

^Made by jcterminal

rumblebelly

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2004, 02:38:07 pm »
wow i just read my post sorry for the spelling ?(
but i also agree with keeping the good weapon\'s rare or else everybody and there dog would be running around with great axe\'s ,sword\'s etc. and that would take the fun out of trying to get the good stuff. a great deal of the fun i have in rpg\'s is upgrading weapon\'s and armor and if they were easy to get where would the fun be  :D
if man didn't take chance's the moon would still be made of cheese  8)