Author Topic: weapons are rare.  (Read 9737 times)

WiseKran

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2004, 12:44:25 pm »
*claps furiously* mr. Dalec  i couldnt have said it better CHEERS to you!!

Farewell Moogie, Farewell Draklar, Farewell Drey. you will be missed.

odinriko

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2004, 07:21:17 am »
Ok, the idea that ALL weapons of a given type should be expensive  is bad.  If our characters can start with skill in a given weapon, yet it is so expensive that there is no realistic way for that character to have ever even held a cheap version of that weapon, where does any realism kick in?  

And also to think about balance issues.  If weapons are all expensive, then a monk style character that would use unarmed combat would have a definate advantage.  I\'m sure there is a similar argument about magic, so I won\'t mention that, but the realms of armed combat should not be made so difficult to do because someone would prefer to use a weapon over a bare fist.

Toadhead

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2004, 01:08:48 pm »
*has only read a few posts*

I agree, in most games you find alot of weapons by killing a monster..
or worse just an animal who can\'t think or wear anything.

Shops should only sell some starter weapons, for fighters. Most people wouldnt need good weapons becuase not everybody is gonna be a fighter in the game. And I think most of the people will use magic to fight. Civillians should use simple knives to protect themselves abit and they should take a few defence lessions to protect themself.

Swordmans or dwarves with axes etc. should start with some simple weapons that could be bought in a shop, these weapons will be quite expensive. This will let them start training, and in the main time they can search for a good smith. When they found a good smith with cheap prices (everybody prefers his own non-NPC smith becuase some are cheap and create newbie weapons and some masters will create very good weapons for profesional swordmans, but are rather expensive).

Alot of materials will be used to create a sword or axe or whatther other weapons can be used, and the smith should also be able to smelt special rare crystals into the weapons to give the weapon a special magical effect. This could be negative or positive, and the weapon could be wasted (just destroyed) when they smelt one in it, the better the smith skill, the better the higher is the change on succesfull smelting of the crystal(s). Smelting combinations of crystals in it should give other effects, after some time the smithy should know wich combinations are possible to get good effects.

Ofcourse smiths should only create weapons for players when they ask, I mean they could also just create alot of weapons and than sell them (just like normal shops). I think smiths should also be able to sell the weapons for the half of the price on normal NPC shops and than other people will be able to buy them in there.

Meach2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2004, 02:05:14 am »
Animals should give bone clubs when you skin them, because you can use their leg to beat crap.  Also-- maybe use a few of their bones as crude arrow tips.. I.e. fingers etc.  Animals can have their advantages/ weapons :)  Monsters... well- ogres n stuff.. they got big ugly clubs... maybe they killed somone and took their nice.... SHINEY .... pretty sword... and left it in their loincloth, BAM! they got loot on em... see how that works?

Zellgadess

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2004, 04:11:02 am »
Cheep Rusty Old = Cheep, Common
Glowing Sharp and Forged in the fires of MT Doom... = Rare, $$$$$$$$

Drops should only be the weapon the monster has, and this only happerns occationaly. The weapon is cheep, and no one wants them. Its a monster.....

Im with Ald\'Amun
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 04:13:22 am by Zellgadess »

\"For You, Death Is But A Minor Invonvenience\"

Toadhead

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2004, 05:08:25 am »
In my opninion it realy sucks that \"only gods can create powerfull \"l33t\" weapons... With this smithy\'s sucks, I mean no advanced swordmans or master etc. are going to buy weapons from the smiths since its better to get one from monster (when you are storng enough).

I think it would be better to have the power in some crystals, and these crystals can be dropped by huge strong monsters. Than the smiths with high skills will be able to smelt it into a weapon to create powerfull weapons for fighters.

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2004, 11:08:29 am »
Smiths should be able to make swords similar to \"godly\".  Of course as Grono said, Godly swords can only be dropped.  That\'s understandable, however, smiths should be able to make swords that hit just as strongly.  Auras, special abilities, certain magical powers should only distinct Godly swords from crafted swords.

Toadhead

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2004, 12:20:24 pm »
I agree sashok20,

Smiths that can only create bad swords.. that sucks :(
When your a master in blacksmith you should be able to create the most powerfull weapons in the game, thats my opinion.

Zellgadess

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2004, 03:57:56 pm »
Same, Smiths need a Stable place in society!

\"For You, Death Is But A Minor Invonvenience\"

IceCold

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2004, 11:17:09 am »
Hummm... lets see....

I sort of agree with the fella banging his head on the table about a low quality item being easy to get and something realy good being hard to get. That seems pretty logical and the only thing you can argue there is the balance in the low quality(cheap) / high qualith (expensive).

So a sword, a knife, a wooden stick or a rock. As long as it lets you into some adventuring should be easy enough to get for people not intrested in rping a farmer / miner /magician.

But the benefficts you get from basic item should not be so far off from a farmers salary.  (and pleaze do remember the killing by kindness mentioned that prevents overpopulation, adventuring is risky ;) )

You can have fun adventuring, shure, you can kill some weaklings, but dont expect to get redy to kill the ancient evil that lures in the labirith and get uber riches right away.

Another thing I truly dislike is people with no life camping the same monsters over and over. just doing the same thing for countless hours and getting an uber item at the end. Yes they worked for it but its so not rping to deserve something good it hurts... Its just like boredom resistance to doing the same thing over and over...

I realy have no idea how to solve this problem, but maybe the ancient wepons can only be obtained from quests (hence theyr uniqueness) and not farmed from some monster that respawns every 2 hours or so with the same uber wepon. (think this is wat gronomist mentioned).

Now one thing Id like to see implemented is the following and it would also improve the value of smiths in the society leaving ancient items to have its value:

Wepons atributs should be mostly not visible. What I mean here is that you cant tell the quality of a wepon just by looking at it. Why must a wepon forged in ancient times have to glow and say +200 dmg ?

Its imposible to forge 2 swords exactly the same, may be the same model, but why not had some modifiers depending on the skill of the craftsman.

So we will end up with several longswords, all of them slightly different. A smith with a high reputation would provide a longsword with possibly very good modifiers.

These modifiers could even be implemented in shops, wouldnt it be great if you went to the shop and end up with a sword that was really well forged and was selling for the same prices of the others :)

Ho well just some ramblings...

PS: Sorry about the spelling mistakes, Im to lazy to run an auto corrector on it. Iv read it over and think its understandable

PS2: Dang I read after I posted and it wasent real clear so edit :P

PS3: Dang 3rd edit.... grrr... its my first post Im bound to improve so bear with me

PS4: OMG... Not only had I mentioned the wrong forum godess, I spelled her name wrong.... I was afraid a severe spanking was headed my way so had to edith a 4th time
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 11:59:17 am by IceCold »

Frarda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2004, 01:17:49 pm »
There will be smiths in game. If they make anything, they\'ll lower their prices to compete. If they lower their prices, their competition will lower their prices.

Things will be come cheap because of good economy.

You can\'t have all weapon types rare either, because there will always be smiths making them, always.

dannythompson

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2004, 01:25:50 pm »
I think some of you are missing the whole point of the thread. When I was writing this my whole point was, \"Any weapons should be rare\". The only weapons you should be able to use for a good while are sticks and stones. Do any of you realize how rare a good slab of steel, iron or bronze was back 300-400 years ago? I mean it was punishable by death to steal someones weapon. Why? Because they were a HUGE ticken item. Bigger than cars are to us now a days. Good weapons were UBER rare, if you could slice through a foot of good sized wood, that weapon was regarded as the best for miles. Anyone with this would be VERY respected. You wouldn\'t just get one after passing some ridiculous test or paying 3 cents.

All weapons should be rare IMO, it should take someone a good month or 2 to get a weapon that could do any real good damage, untill then we should have to forge cheap sticks, pikes and staffs or throw rocks out of slings.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 01:26:48 pm by dannythompson »

I\'m back.... Perhaps in black.

Enter_the_Xero

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2004, 03:41:37 pm »
NOTE: I did not read the whole thread...

Weapons should be sold...

1) The better the weapon, the bigger is the price
2) There should be the abile to sell//buy//sell weapons
3) Weapons with magical attributes should cost more
4) Weapons that have a spot for a powerup should cost more *

Weapons should have some rules...

1) The better the weapon, the deadlier it is
2) The better the weapon, themore EXP you need to have to wield it
3) The better the weapon, the harder and more expencive to fix it
4) Weapons can have magical attributes

Weapons should be made...

1) It should be a long process
2) It should cost you less to create the weapon then for the buyer to buy it
3) To add magical properties you must know some softmore magic
4) To add a place for a magical powerup you need to know some minor magic

Weapons should be found on Slain Demons...

1) These wepons need to be \"identified\" to be used properly
2) These weapons should be worn (aka: a bit dameged)
3) The Wapon(s) carried should be different for each demon
4) The stronger the demon, the better the wepon should be
5) A demon that cant use a weapon must pay no attention to it

Weapons should be rare...

1) Rare weapons should have special properties
2) They should cost large sums of money
3) They should be found in secrets//gurded be powerfull beasts//both//etc-

Ummm.... Whacha think? Suggestions?

Also, I have some suggestions for Super-Rare Super-Powerfull Super-Deadly Weaponry (that should be guarded by Super-Bosses) if anyone want to I can tell about em....

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2004, 03:42:51 pm »
danny I agree to a point, but I think that\'s too extreme...  this is not stone age, since smiths are around, metal work is quite common.

some of you missed my point, or maybe not :D  i see some of you agree.. let me make it clearer some more..

Just understand that any profession in game should be able to make best stuff, while it could be very rare, but still possible... Otherwise, and I hope you see my point on this, there is absolutely no need for those professions that will not function to it\'s fullest..
If a smith cannot equip a best warrior in game, smithery is not needed.. If you say that it\'s still needed to dress up noobs or intermediates, you are showing some sort of pity towards smiths, i cannot swallow this.

How may you ask should godly swords be different from smith created swords.  Auras and special abilities and names.  Smith cannot possibly create for example there\'s a legendary sword \"talad sword\".  
Now, this \"talad sword\" may be able to hit with 200-300hp ponts for ex.  Smiths should be able to make a sword (although rare ) that also hits 200-300hp and no less if not more.  That being said, this \"talad sword\" is unique and has its own unique features.
this \"talad sword\" could have \"talad aura\" which is an aura that spreads health regeneration, stamina regeneration, faster running aura across some area from player.  This sword could have an ability that when player reaches certain demon cave, this sword lights up, and auras get stronger and maybe even it hits harder.
Finally this sword has a legend, a story behind it, that noone can take it away from it.

Smith cannot possibly make these auras because he is not talad and cannot comprehend such, so he\'s limited to simple auras, simple abilities, etc.  but not the power of strike.

dannythompson

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2004, 06:10:14 pm »
Originally posted by sashok20
danny I agree to a point, but I think that\'s too extreme...  this is not stone age, since smiths are around, metal work is quite common.

Even at the height of the Dark Ages only about 1:400 had a weapon of some sort. Even if there are lots of smiths, the required material and craftsmanship needed to make anything more than a sharpened hunk of metal was enormous. I think that the list of weapons obtained should read something like this.

1: Fists
2: Simple bali stick, or staff
3: sling or sharpened stick
4: Pole arm or handle with iron tip
5: Progressive short sword or dagger
6: Full longsword
7: Claymore
8: Galkard caliber weapon.

Extreme? Perhaps. Fun? IMHO yes. It would be nice to see your simple peice of stick evolve more and more untill its a complete galk. It\'d give your weapon a bit more importance and you wouldn\'t be as hasty to wonder into a place where you might lose it.

I\'m back.... Perhaps in black.