Author Topic: Resurrect the PVP Zones  (Read 2239 times)

Pierrette

Re: Resurrect the PVP Zones
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2016, 01:55:58 am »
Players were Rping and RPer were Playing

This is the best.  My favorite grinders could RP with the best of them, and conversely my favorite RPers both ground out what their characters needed and roleplayed the rest (e.g. would rp an aggro warrior if they had stats/skills for it, or a healer if their crystal way was high enough (didn't need to be maxed at all) and if not, would rp that they were semi-pacifist or not able to heal - hope that makes sense).

Anyway, it's certainly my goal.

Eonwind, is this going to happen?  Or have we dissipated the energy by YAPPING about it for ages?

Vaneal, if we can't have it in the dlayo pit, do you want to advocate for a PVP area filled with dlayos who drop unique loot in another area?  Or did you lose interest?

Vaneal Serozen

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2016, 12:15:17 pm »
Players were Rping and RPer were Playing

This is the best.  My favorite grinders could RP with the best of them, and conversely my favorite RPers both ground out what their characters needed and roleplayed the rest (e.g. would rp an aggro warrior if they had stats/skills for it, or a healer if their crystal way was high enough (didn't need to be maxed at all) and if not, would rp that they were semi-pacifist or not able to heal - hope that makes sense).

Anyway, it's certainly my goal.

Eonwind, is this going to happen?  Or have we dissipated the energy by YAPPING about it for ages?

Vaneal, if we can't have it in the dlayo pit, do you want to advocate for a PVP area filled with dlayos who drop unique loot in another area?  Or did you lose interest?

It is still something I would like to see be brought back to ps.  Eonwind already mentioned making some changes to the platinum mine but I'm not a big fan of the area due to the crazy geography.  I have not said much do to nothing new being brought up and I still think that being rewarded per kill is a flawed reward system for pvp.  I have played enough pvp oriented games to realize that this is not what ps needs and perhaps not ideal for any game but it is easy to implement so it is the preferred system.  I thought I was really clear about what would be an easy reward that people have always liked,  good loot.  Maybe not unique loot pools but good loot in the form of named gear drops. Npc type could be changed but I personally would prefer humanoids.  Some of the other ideas are good ones but as of right now I think the devs have more than enough to focus on.  I don't know for certain but I think the loot is the most simple solution for rewards atm. As to would I like a new pvp zone with dlayo like mobs in a relatively flat area?  Yes, I would love to see this.  BD is freaking huge and has a ton of potential for areas like this.

I've not lost interest.  I just have not said much for a while as I am having a hellish time with classes.

Sming1985

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2016, 02:05:13 pm »
To integrate role play with PvP fighting, one needs to consider the motivation of characters who fight. In my (admittedly limited) experience with PlaneShift, there are four basic character motivations:
1) Characters are evil, demented or perverse (eg: Kisoji)
2) Characters have some kind of grudge against each other, not resolvable diplomatically, so they have to fight.
3) Characters are gladiator types, either forced into an arena or who enter voluntarily for glory and fame.
4) In Character political, financial or social machinations lead one character to feel the need to eliminate another character.

In addition to considering motivation, I would also like to remind everyone that PS does only have dozens of players, rather than hundreds, and producing areas attractive to veterans that are obscure, distant or hidden from new players only adds to the sense that Hydlaa is a ghost town.

I suggest considering the plaza up by Amidison Stronghand's house as a PVP area, if one is implemented in Hydlaa. I'd suggest boundaries in the center of the plaza, leaving a strip near the buildings where it is safe, so access to guild houses and NPCs is maintained, and so people could come to watch any fighting from relative safety. This plaza seems to be where the local old families live, and over time old families develop grudges with each other (think Montagues and Capulets). Also, the Boralises work nearby but outside the plaza, and could warn people that it is a dangerous area, as could Amidison herself, as she progresses around town. In addition, the statue of Yllian/Enkiduki amity in the plaza is a nice ironic touch.