Author Topic: Group encouragement (because of the 12 juni Q&A)  (Read 528 times)

Gaheris

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Group encouragement (because of the 12 juni Q&A)
« on: June 12, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »
Hi all,

On 12 june 2016, at the Q&A i asked the status for group encouragement. This was asked before during Q&A.
Since some attendants, joined the request and such things can easily lead to a hectic / chaotic Q&A, i proposed to move to discussion to here,
There was a thread about it before. You can find that one here. http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=42804.30

In general, I wish, besides for RP, to use groups to actually play the game. But currently there's no real reason for it.
So, very plain and open. What do you think we can do to make players group more?

Let's not move this thread to a discussion we need more players. We all know that. Let's pretend they will come one day. What do you want that groups can offer them?
Regards,
Gaheris Silverhair
Commander in Iron Claw
http://planeshift.teamix.org/myplane/profile/Gaheris_Silverhair/

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
Re: Group encouragement (because of the 12 juni Q&A)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 03:58:30 pm »
If you ask me, it would be better to just move to another game if you want group combat.Normal mobs arent enough powerfull to stand against groups, so that would mean we need more bosses. but bosses arent compactible for RP. In another game, you could just gather group and casually kill stuff like Demon lords of hell. but here? It would jus break immersion.

#1: hey, how are you?

#2: Im fine, i just slained ancient lich lord.

#1: again? i thought it wouldnt come back after i killed it few days ago.

sgtkwol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 05:14:08 pm »
I'm sure there are ways to RP around it. Or ignore parts of the game while you are RPing day to day. Your current knowledge of how to deal with the boss may be coming from a someone who dealt with the boss long ago. I feel if every argument for realism was answered, we wouldn't be left with much of a game. Why do so many people just want the game stripped of all the game stuff and left with a 3d chat room?

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 05:58:45 pm »
It's not a question of realism. I dont mind if PS isn't realistic if its enjoyable. I wasn't even talking about realism. It was a question of immersion. Those are very different things and shouldnt be mixed. Also i think ignoring problems is only attempt to avoid solving them, hence why it doesn't sound promising.

And maybe 3D chat room is actually what we want xD

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 02:07:34 am »
I think group PvE does not have to break immersion. Maybe there will be some nice challenges in context of future arena developments? I know quests are a single-player thing right now, but maybe some quest mechanics could be used for a group fight against some top tier gladiators. A fight does not always have to end with death, and even if it does, there's a chance to return from the death realm.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 08:44:09 am »
Just to clear up a bit, im not against group combat, and i think it would be great way to get more players. Even while this is mostly RP game, we need to remember most started as non RPers. Just that i dont see group encouragement as a think that would come in a long while (long while as in, counted in years  :-X)

There is allready like, 3 boss type of enemies that less older players can group against, but there's quite simple ways to solo every single NPC to the more older players (without OP looted items).the problem is that i think the bosses cant be the typical lords of hell and dead kings awakening because that wouldnt make sense that they come back all over again, but something like hordes of stone labyrinth monsters could work and make sense since labyrinths are quite restless area.

There's still few problems like, allowing people to play solo efficiently aswell without making groups OP. Also i wouldnt like to see classes in game, and i doupt many wants to, making it so that players can make any kind of skill set they want to. And while this would be a great thing, i think we need to be wary that PvE doesnt take over RP right?  ;D

Gaheris

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 07:29:12 am »
Thanks Dilihin for the reply.

I think we mostly agree.
And RP and group combat are not two things that rule eachother out. They can exist both and actually stimulate eachother.
And yes, we don't want classes. People should not be bound to a certain path in this game, however defining roles (classes) can help in group combat. So the roles/classes idea can help new players to first focus on a certain path (while adding more later) and experienced players, can, as they can perform multiple roles/classes in the gaps in a group.

PlaneShift is a Mmorpg. Mmo stands for massive-multiplayer online. We are online, i'm not gonna discuss the massive part in the words. That would be a different discussion, but more group combat / encouragement can help with the multi-player part, just as RP does.
Regards,
Gaheris Silverhair
Commander in Iron Claw
http://planeshift.teamix.org/myplane/profile/Gaheris_Silverhair/

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »
Gaheris, you mean that we research the most optimal way to act as healer, ranged, dps etc.? that would be quite usefull actually, without need to make any system chances whatsoever.
There is even those skill sets in char making that give starting skills depending what kind of char one wants to play, maybe we need more of those (without OOC ofc, like tank, but healer, knight etc.).

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 05:29:24 pm »
If only we still had that nifty, handy spell shortcut bar... Or the ability to spawn as many windows as we needed to place our combat shortcuts in them.

wink wink nudge nudge

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

sgtkwol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 11:20:30 pm »
I think a threat system is most necessary. Along with a way to increase as a "tank", dump as others.