Author Topic: Horses  (Read 1780 times)

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2002, 06:33:17 am »
I would like this question answered.
If u r flying one of these things, and all of a sudden decide to land, and go on foot, what will happen to your bird?
Will it just dissapear, or will it sit there waiting for u?
And if it will just sit there, what if u get killed while on foot, and u respawn somewhere REALLY far way (ex: u died and left your stuff on lvl 6, and u respawned on lvl 2) how will u be able to get it? And from what i got on the site, thses things are really expensive, like 400 good steel swords!!!!!  Can you answer to any problems that can be asociated with that?

Hmmm, things like this are details, we\'re going to think of that as soon as it\'s neccesary. In other words, we don\'t have a clue yet :)
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

Corvette

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2002, 07:55:04 pm »
If you\'re going to have horses, I think that it would be cool if there was different breeds of horses, some are better but more expensice.. and so on.

Darkmoon

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Resident
  • "----------"
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2002, 11:47:06 pm »
How about instead of horses, we think along different lines?  For example, in the Underdark, Drow ride giant lizards and spiders that walk on any surface with the rider strapped into the saddle.  An underground environment, in my opinion, is not suitable for horses (which is an above-ground, needs-wide-open-spaces-to-run creature).  We\'re not trying to fool or convince players that they\'re not underground.  A new species of mounts could even be designed, unique to PS.  There could even be several different species of trained mounts at varying costs, so as to be affordable to most everyone.  The more expensive the mount, the better it is.  Can also be used to display character status.  Thoughts?

Cyonamie

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2002, 11:59:09 pm »
horses have been brought up many times, and pets would be no biggy, on every quest, with about 40 people to a zone, and most of um could summon pets, it didnt lag much on a 48k modem(yeah they make those:) ).  i got a cable tho, it was my neighbors computer lol

WarLeader

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2002, 07:48:15 am »
Slow down the server not at all if you have a horse with a max of 1000 polies that should be nothing for the server and 40 of them is that much i mean terran is around 50,000 polies why would horses slow down the server?

Models dont make the game textures do!

WarLeader

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2002, 07:49:49 am »
oh and one more thing not just that horses are added in an animation with your character lol so you would be add the horse below you character so there shouldnt be no lag

elKano

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2002, 10:12:55 am »
I think the problem of lagging when you have lot of polys at a scene is not a problem of the setver but the client, because the server just sends the position of each character, but the client has to render it.
I don\'t know if the server sends the position of all the characters in the world or just the ones you can see; if it sends, as I think, all of them, it doesn\'t matter at all to have 40 or 10000 characters visible, if all of them are in the world, at least from the server side.
_ _Tired of hyerarchies?
?Aqui estan los Otros!
__join the anarchists__

WarLeader

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2002, 10:20:56 am »
You are right and wrong it does hafta render it but that doesnt cause that much lag depending on how you render and knowing what your are doing polies play alot in lag if you have a low poly model of 100 in a field of 50,000 you are gonna less lag then 1000 char poly of 100,000 terran

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2002, 03:19:27 pm »
Horses shmorses, who need them when you can fly? :))
And if it is some sort of transportation for noobs, just make a bunch of portals that lead to the main areas, kind of like in D2! :D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2002, 03:19:56 pm by TheGeneral »

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Idealist

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2002, 01:05:55 am »
Yes I am glad to see that you are all thinking... now who was it that said something about the breeds of horses this would be a veary veary good idea... also we could implement a means of a stable... and you could breed horses and buy horse items there... and also it would be nice if you could possibly race the horses in an arena and get cash or other prizes speacial saddels and grains that would impove the attributes of your horse
as for breeding you could make it so that each player can own 2 horses at a time... a male and a female... once you breed the two animals you must sell an one of the parents to the stable for money(of corse the money will depend on the attributes of the horse stamina vitality dextarity ect.)or both of the animals and buy new bloodlines and such also there should be a title to all the horses so that players could sell there horses to others I honestly think that it would be nice to sell your prime mare to somebody for any price you ask instead of selling to the stable all of those who need more info on what i am getting at check chochobo farming on ff7

also Thegeneral your an idiot horses would not be for n00bs and also the wp\'s on d2 sucked  we want an item of quality
« Last Edit: July 06, 2002, 01:08:45 am by Idealist »
I will Hunt you... I will find you... I will ctrl alt Delete you... Bounty Hunter Goodness

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2002, 03:28:41 pm »
What kind of a moron would buy a horse when he can fly? R u thinking, or completely blacked out by your ignorance?
And as for the portals, i believe that the dev team has already decided that they will introduce some sort of a portal system to other places.
As you said yourself, we want an item of quality, WTF would u put horses in the game ?(
No self respecting player would want to be seen on a horse when he can fly a massive bird!

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

WarLeader

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2002, 03:31:34 am »
well some people prefer staying on the ground then flying some advantage will also be on ground that flying doesnt have. On the ground you can see all the nifty trees :P and stuff at close view. I think flying will be two hard to control if you trying to click something you can maybe fall to the ground and get ganked by orcs

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2002, 11:53:12 am »
I am sure there would be an option of flying down low, like the tree level, or up high to reach the other levels of the crystal. And as for the controls, it\'s not going to be like flying an F16 fighter plane, with all the buttons and controls you have to press just to get in of the ground :D , this is a game for crying out loud, they will make it simple to operate. (And if not, that could be the fun part, making fly properly :] )

Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

WarLeader

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2002, 02:00:19 pm »
well, in that case if your able to do that im guessing horses are no use but i would still like to see horsies :)

Tearlach t'an Ailech fin Leros

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2002, 07:14:23 pm »
I rather ride a gigantic spider than some boring horse and a spider is more realistic than an horse in a underground world, you mentioned forset, the developers have said that there won\'t be any or very very few trees because of lag, besides this is an underground world and trees need alot of ultraviolet light.
three, portals will probably not make it in the game cause developer have said that it will be more fun if the world looks bigger, if you can teleport around, the world will look small and it won\'t be as interesting to go and explore and if you have to drag your lazy body everywhere instead of teleporting it could be more \"hidden\" cities and things to encourage people to go and discover.
Join The Order Of The Hand .
The rules are being updated, mail me if you are interested in knowing them.
\"Down in their hearts, wise men know this truth: the only way to help yourself is to help others.\"
Never take life seriously; nobody gets out alive anyway.