Author Topic: Reputation  (Read 981 times)

Zig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
This is a continuation of the cow tiping idea. Im interested in what other people think about my idea. The is an issue about the penalty of tipping cows. I think that there should be some kind of system that your char has reputation for doing eather good heroic deeds or for doing acts of delequency or even evil. Another rpg that has this system is Baulder\'s gate.  Some benifits with a high reputation would be like the shop keepers would like you better and you might get small discounts on buying stuff and if for some reason a player needed to gather information for a quest or something it would help to have a good reputation so that npc would be more likely to help that person. A bad reputation would bring about penaties of its own like incresed prices in stores or towns people being rude to you and sometimes getting attacked by farmers if you tip too many cows. Man thats lengthy. :D  well anyways tell me what you think about it.

~ZiG~
~ZiG~?

elKano

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2002, 12:34:15 pm »
I think I have already post what I am going to say now, but I am not sure... so here it is (again?)

I do agree with reputation, but I thing it should be composed by two parts: the first, from 0 to ?, which codes how much reputed you are. People who has done nothing in their lifes will have 0, but also those little children who tip cows a lot... that sort of ridicoulous thing should low your reputation level, as other things like quests, good smithery, and so on, should rise it.
The second  would code your alignment. Doing \'good\' things would push it to one side, \'evil\' things to the other. Some things wouldn\'t touch it at all (smithery, for example, I think, unless you do it for free perhaps).
_ _Tired of hyerarchies?
?Aqui estan los Otros!
__join the anarchists__

Zig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2002, 02:02:07 pm »
well the reputation doesnt have to go an a number value scale some one in another post had an interesting idea about having titles maybe you could get it that way like neutral reputation would be common and good would be heroic  and bad would be dispised or something like that and there could be diffrent ranks that you could earn. The alignment thingy would be a deciding factor about it too and maybe if you did too many good deeds your alignment would change to a more suiting one.

~Zig~

~ZiG~?

elKano

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2002, 02:25:40 pm »
Well, numbers were just a graphic way to see it... a programming way if you prefer... but of course your not obliged to show the number in game.
Anyway, I don\'t know if you have understood me because I don\'t really understand you. but my point of view is that being a hero has nothing to see with being good or evil or neutral. It just depends of the great things you did. Alignment (good, neutral, evil) would be independent of that. And both of them would decide of your title.
_ _Tired of hyerarchies?
?Aqui estan los Otros!
__join the anarchists__

MagiBountyHunter

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Thats right
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 02:29:01 pm »
Hero\'s can be either good or bad its not like you have to be good to be called king arthour or sir lancealot. I mean i dont think all the Bad guy Hero\'s get enough recognition like the overmind in SC (starcraft) because he had to tell all his stupid kids everyday every hour every minute what to do because they were so stupid and noone noticed that. I think it should be reconized so there i said it and now you reconize it. :]

Death is only the beginning you dont want to know the rest.:evil:

\"Hunt This\"

OutKast Tha Profet:evil:
Secondary Leader of \"TOB\"
\"The Order of the Blade\"

\"Hunt This\"

MagiBountyHunter

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Hmm..
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 02:29:39 pm »
Sorry about that up there i was sorta high i been painting dwarfs all day and i got a little carried away.

\"Hunt This\"

OutKast Tha Profet:evil:
\"The Order of the Blade\"

\"Hunt This\"

Zig

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2002, 02:37:52 pm »
yeah you dont have to be good to do good things but the only thing that the reputation system would be about is how well liked you are by the npcs in the game and nothing more now if the game creators want to take it beyond that its up to them :O

ps your right i dont understand you elkano :P

~ZiG~
~ZiG~?

kcirbmab

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2002, 10:37:22 pm »
maybe u could choose whos side to be on, u could be evil attacking good people and live with enemys so theyll be ur allies. maybe...

elKano

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2002, 06:27:47 am »
I\'ll explain me again.
I agree with you that there should be a reputation showing how much NPCs like you.
But I think there also should be another one showing how much NPCs KNOW you.

Because a hero is someone very well-knowed, but neutral at the same time. And the NPCs should know of him anyway.

Have I explained it a little better now?
_ _Tired of hyerarchies?
?Aqui estan los Otros!
__join the anarchists__

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2002, 10:02:22 am »
now wait a minute...penalties for doing evil stuff and benefits for doing good deeds? lets think about this. this would not be very fair to people who want to play evil characters. obviously evil characters are not likely to help others just because its right or save someone getting attacked by bandits or whatever. there is no point in saying your good or evil if you are just going to do any quest an npc gives you.for example, an evil character is not likely to go on a wild goose chase to slay a bunch of demons in the name of rightousness.if they did he/she would be straying from their alignment which is not something you should do.if a good character does this,he/she would get advantages basicaly for staying in character,and for example,an evil character could be hired as an assassin to kill some paladin who is highly respected among his people or whatever.if he/she manages to succeed in that quest then that character would recieve PENALTIES FOR BEING IN CHARACTER! and forcing penalties on players that do evil deeds and stay with their alignment like they should,or giving advantages and benefits good chaacters getting benefits for just doing what they are supposed to do anyway does not seem very fair.it would be very difficult for an evil character with a \"bad reputation\" to get anywhere because if this idea was implemented then they would constantly be hounded by city guards,things would cost more at shops etc. i am hoping most of you will agree with me on this.

im not saying this idea has no potential,but here is my idea to balance it out a bit.I say,if someone is known for doing evil things like killing random people simply for their amusement,then storekeepers would give them a discount out of fear of what would happen to them if they didnt. people would help them on quests out of fear of what would happen to them if they did not help.while one who is known for good deeds,gets the exact same benefits but for a different reason. you see what im saying. however for people who want to play neutral characters because they would be at a disadvantage because they would not get the advantages good and evil characters do. but this is an instance that compliments elkano\'s idea. if a storekeeper gave a neutral character a quest and the neutral character completes this quest,that character would recieve special discounts from that particular storekeeper because the storekeeper knows the character and knows what the character did for them.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Funhouse

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2002, 10:46:44 am »
I really like what your saying there Aelya.  If we didn\'t use a system like this it would almost force you to play as a good character, and we all know how boring a world where everyone is always nice to each other would be.  Anyway, I think this would actually work and I hope its used cause I want to be evil myself  :D

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2002, 10:59:30 am »
yea me to hehe. arnt many people who will be playing evil characters yet though.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Golbez

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2002, 03:40:22 pm »
I will be playing a neutral character (if I see he will be in disadvantage, I\'ll probably drive him to evil a bit) so I have thought about this for a while. Aelya is right, evil characters would not gain respect (like good characters), but the citizens will fear them and thus give them certain benefits only to protect their own lives.

Now...neutral characters are a bit harder, since their actions are neither good or evil. They should be able to go on both good and evil quests (but there should be some quests available only to those who align themselves to good or evil, I will explain this later). Now, neutral characters are very unpredictable, since they can go to one or the other side. The benefits should be, then, not as extreme as in a good or evil characters.
 What I mean is, the discounts are not that big (they still get some discount, only because they look strong/dangerous), but they may get them from both evil and good NPCs. Evil characters would get penalites with good alligned NPCs (priests, paladins, clerics and the like) and, on the other hand, good characters would get penalties with evil alligned NPCs (assassins, thieves, criminals, etc). Neutral characters would get slight benefits from both types of NPCs, but should not be able to take full advantage of the interaction options.

Let\'s see if I can explain myself better with an example. We got a Paladin, a neutral Fighter and an Assassin travelling together. If they come across an NPC priest, the assassin would have a hard time talking to him, and would not get any benefits from the NPC. The fighter would get only some of the options, perhaps healing or getting a simple/average quest. The Paladin would get the most out of the NPC due to his allignment. The priest would offer services, lifting a curse, casting a holy spell on him, or perhaps he could give him a special quest (for being alligned to good in an extreme degree, he would get a quest that only this kinds of character have the chance to do).
If they come across, let\'s say, an NPC bandit, the Paladin would probably be attacked, or would they not interact at all. The fighter would have the option to capture him or kill him, but he could also get some information out of the bandit or buy some of his treasures. The evil character can betray this evil alligned character by capturing him or attacking him, or perhaps he could make him join the party for a short period of time (plus the chance to buy something from the NPC).

So, while being a good or an evil character will have benefits and penalties, neutral will receive a little of both. They will get smaller discounts and the possibility of interacting with a good or evil NPC, but not at the same degree than other characters.

That is what I think of the subject (I hope everybody understood what I meant), I\'ll be waiting for your opinions

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2002, 03:45:35 pm »
This reputation thing could be the replacement for PKing, and PvP combat. Since when u do PK, u get a murder count, which identifies you as being evil. So reputation would be a safe alternative to PvP combat.

P.S. I also love evil characters:evil: , but you probably know :P

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

elKano

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2002, 04:57:48 pm »
Well Golbez, I do like neutral characters too (that\'s why I wanted to keep separated reputation from alignment... to recognise neutral celebrities).
I think your proposition is not bad, neutral heroes should inspire respect, but not fear nor gratitude.
Well, I thinked a lot in the problem, and can\'t see a better way... well not, defintevily is a good idea (I had some remarks but thinking it they disappear... sorry)
_ _Tired of hyerarchies?
?Aqui estan los Otros!
__join the anarchists__