Author Topic: Less OOC more RPG  (Read 812 times)

Darandeken

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Less OOC more RPG
« on: August 05, 2002, 03:14:44 pm »
I think that OOC chat should be restricted mabye to certian areas or somthing. Because lot\'s of people enjoy RPGing and it would be unfair on them to have to listen to OOC chat.
There could be a sort of OOC in brakets with an \'ignor text in brakets\' box.
Just a suggestion.
 8)  

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2002, 05:35:46 pm »
This is an often argued subject among game devs.

There are a few points,

1.  People should not be able to speak across vast areas.
2. mmorpgs can not control if people are talking about the football game on TV
3.   having different chat schemes is the best thing that can be done, but control would be arbitrary.

1. if people cant talk across vast areas they will just use IRC
2.  banns, exp loss, and other types of actions is one of the fastest thing to kill an online community.
3.  People complain if they are the ones that are used as examples?but policing a few thousand people is a pain.

If  good solutions fro these things can be brought up, please share them.
-Paxx

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2002, 08:08:54 pm »
ive played a few online games that actually have roleplaying as one of their rules. and most people do follow those rules.If you want people to roleplay than it is as simple as saying so in some kind of rules section.Sure some people ignore those type of rules but many people will follow them. if you dont have roleplaying as a rule then we are likely to have even less people roleplaying than if you did have that as a rule.And some games actually enforce penalties on players who dont roleplay enough.If this game stresses roleplaying then it will have more people that will actually roleplay.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Idealist

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2002, 09:03:49 pm »
I find a problem with the no long distance idea... well i mean for one in all honesty i have never used IRC... i have no real social life i dont need to talk to ones i dont know and when people are long distance talking on mmorpgs it is usualy about the task at hand for instance if you are selling your armor and the person agrees to buy walks back to his bank and discovers that he can make an offer with items he simply says hey will you trade your chest plate for my power ammulet? they usualy arnt talking about the game on tv... alot of gamers dont even watch tv just thier computer screens (or tv screens for all of us console gamers)
I will Hunt you... I will find you... I will ctrl alt Delete you... Bounty Hunter Goodness

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2002, 10:52:05 pm »
I think you should be able to \"whisper\" to one other person at a time over vast distances, because what about guilds? if they were not able to talk because they were too far away they wouldnt be able to be organized as efficently, of course maybe that could be solved by sending \"mail\" at a shop of some sort that are located all over the towns.....whichever, as long as you are able to do someth8ing of the sort  :D

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2002, 04:17:42 pm »
It really comes down to what your concept of role-playing is, while I love character emersion, I can argue the other side (something I enjoy doing on occasion so remember everything I say here can simply meant as a devil?s advocate position).

I?m playing a strong silent warrior type with an alter ego that is tied to a person in some far off land.

I?m playing a wizard type who has split his perception to another dimension, and in that dimension he is watching a football game.

All legitimate answers, what my personal plan is; To have in-game rewards for playing a character type, through granting bonuses for keeping with the philosophy they chose for their character.

The closest thing to it at the moment would be Faction systems on other games, I however would take it a step further.

There are several ways to do it and that is what we are working out (how ?Role Playing? can be tracked in an automated way, and what rewards are appropriate for what).

At the same time, I am not a fan of:

? Well met fair traveler, I am an adventurer from the 5th plain, seeking riches and fame, I am looking to join a party of other like minded adventurers to join me in raiding a dungeon I hear is in these parts?

I would rather have someone say ?Looking for Party for a dungeon Raid??but that is just me. I personally feel actions are louder then words, and what you do, who you do it with, who you do it for is more important then what you say while doing it.

That said ?I on occasion stay very much in character, but I rarely see people playing their stats or social type?. Most Bards don?t often rhyme when they speak, most thieves don?t speak with an uncouth tongue, Most people don?t tell people ? I got this cloak after doing a favor for a young lady I met at the Tavern? they say ? I got this cloak after doing the Lost Jonas Quest, that Dody at the West end Tavern gives?.

In the end there will be people monitoring Role Playing, but I would rather allow the Game to get a personality of it?s own, a vernacular all it?s own and be a fun place to go and hang out.

What it ends up being is any bodies guess really, We shall see.            
-Paxx

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2002, 04:53:35 pm »
Originally posted by paxx
It really comes down to what your concept of role-playing is, while I love character emersion, I can argue the other side (something I enjoy doing on occasion so remember everything I say here can simply meant as a devil?s advocate position).

At the same time, I am not a fan of:

? Well met fair traveler, I am an adventurer from the 5th plain, seeking riches and fame, I am looking to join a party of other like minded adventurers to join me in raiding a dungeon I hear is in these parts?

I would rather have someone say ?Looking for Party for a dungeon Raid??but that is just me. I personally feel actions are louder then words, and what you do, who you do it with, who you do it for is more important then what you say while doing it.

That said ?I on occasion stay very much in character, but I rarely see people playing their stats or social type?. Most Bards don?t often rhyme when they speak, most thieves don?t speak with an uncouth tongue, Most people don?t tell people ? I got this cloak after doing a favor for a young lady I met at the Tavern? they say ? I got this cloak after doing the Lost Jonas Quest, that Dody at the West end Tavern gives?.

In the end there will be people monitoring Role Playing, but I would rather allow the Game to get a personality of it?s own, a vernacular all it?s own and be a fun place to go and hang out.

i agree with all of that. im not much for words and erotic sentances.I say what i need to say and thats it,unless i feel like speaking i probably wont speak.but thats all probably due to the nature of the character ill be playing.

i think the idea of giving rewards for role-playing is a MUCH better idea than enforcing penalties on those who dont.that way its less likesly to get people mad and discourage them.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Cyonamie

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2002, 10:43:48 pm »
One of the best examples of role playing ive seen before is EverQuest, not all servers on there are like this, but Veeshaan(and of course the roleplay server:) ) roleplay a lot.  If you joke around in it, its in a tell, or within very short range, where u and the person u r talking to can hear it.  /ooc is used, but often if a newbie needs help, not to talk about a football game on tv.  Worst example would be Runescape, ok game, the people ruin it, no one in there role plays, and if they do its like 10 people over all.  Roleplaying can make or break a game, if u set the game to have a serious role play, enforce that, have the devs go in there and role play, it will encourage others to start role playing, and pretty soon, you\'ll BE your character ;)

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2002, 12:23:41 am »
I also agree with Paxx\'s goals of having RP in Planeshift be something you do, not something you say.  Talking in \"RP-ese\" should be optional, but if you do something contrary to your character\'s alignment or faction, that should hurt you in unknown and mysterious ways....

Regarding the RP-ese thing, I\'ve actually thought about writing a real-time translator which would take into account your race and class (highest skill) to translate what you say in certain cases like :

You type: \"L45 Wiz LFG in Ojaveda Mines\"
Everyone sees: \"A humble wizard of the 45th circle of Light seeks fellow adventurers to explore the Mines of Ojaveda.\"

Then people could set the option of whether they want to see the translated version or not, and people into RP talking could see that from everyone, not just fellow RPers.

Of course, most of you will be out of college or so before this feature is done.   ;-)

- Venge

Silverblade

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2002, 07:13:18 am »
That seems to be a very creative and original idea. If you do go ahead with it, I think it will make this game stand out from the rest.

And I think it will be close to impossible to create an automated system to enforce role-playing. If you want everyone to roleplay, you will need game masters to police it.

Aztra

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2002, 08:56:03 am »
The way i see it in terms of long distance chat if it is used in the final game.

OOC: for those who want to talk about the footy or whatever

Roleplayers: This way you can roleplay to your hearts content. And talk to others who are there to roleplay

Trade: this is for those selling things this is to keep out those players who otherwise will continually spam whatever item it is there selling

and OFF aswell to get rid of the annoying spam that will most likely be continually spammed across your screen.

In terms of Chat from your actual character. To those immediately around you. There should be no rules on this aside from the obvious banning of any insults or racist comments or the likes. This is because it would be impossible to police because game masters cant be everywhere. If you like roleplaying you will probably be partied up with other roleplayers anyway so the chat around you will be roleplayed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2002, 08:57:50 am by Aztra »