Author Topic: wanted spells and stealing system  (Read 520 times)

Rageburst

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
wanted spells and stealing system
« on: August 21, 2002, 12:19:12 am »
I\'ll just add a few that I find interesting:
Levitation (helps when you\'re fighting melee units), invisibility (good for stealing things or escaping), water breathing/walking.

Some particular ones in Everquest involved the enchanter who can make illusions. He can turn himself into another race/monster, a nearby object, and more such as a tree.

Naturally, being a thief involves stealth skills, lock picking, trap disabling, and so on... as listed in the alpha.

I was wondering how the stealing system be made. Can we only pickpocket npcs or can we do so with other players?

I\'m assuming you can\'t steal outside objects since more than one person is playing the game, and that money/items from npcs are randomly generated. Also, if your sneaking skills is low, the npc will alert a guard, and you have to pay a fine or go to jail... standard rpg stuff in games such as Morrowind...

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 04:17:15 am »
hmmm well there could be spells that raise your AC(armor class) or spells that raise your magical defenses. if the mage gets strong enough,he could cast death spells. for those of you who dont know what those are,they are spells than kill on contact.thus the name \"death spell\". but these spells should require you to use tons of mana points.most of it if not all your mana points would be drained.but spells like that should be unusable in pvp arena combat,because it would be lame for a fighter to charge a mage and get killed by a death spell before they got to slash at the mage.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Rageburst

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2002, 10:05:54 am »
Spells for each class should also complement other classes to promote team work. A cleric can depend on melee strength to kill although he/she can help by buffing, healing. In Everquest, all wizards have mana regeneration problems... easily solved by working with enchanters.

Rogues, thieves, and the likes are more meant to work alone though.

Fantasyfiend

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 11:11:52 pm »
It seems like most rpgs try to balance class choice to promote group activity anyway. But I can see how  ther would be groups composed of warriors, clerics, wizards, and maybe thieves.

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2002, 04:42:09 am »
i see the word \"class\" alot. remember there will be no classes in planeshift. only abilities. you can train any ability as much as yyou want. or at least thats what ive heard. but if you gain good skill in say...spellcasting you could call yourself a mage or a wizard or whatever.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2002, 09:59:00 pm »
Aelya is right,
There is nothing limiting a player to go one rout or another. A person can learn skills of stealth, thievory, and anything else a person might contribute to a thief class but will not be limited to thief restraints. You will still be able to learn to use magic, martial arts, even to use a broad sword. See in most games a player is limited to play a type cast. They have to choose a class and then suffer through its limitations. Here the only limitation is for you to make on yourself. Of cource though the more you train in the thinner you spread your experience. Meaning that if you choose many skills you will grow them slower than someone that has chossen a limited amout of skills. So if you want to be a master thief you can do so. If you want to be a master magician you can do that also. By limiting yourself to a small amount of skills means you will grow in those skills faster.

The main reason for class removal is that there is absolutly no practicality in the way most RPGs have it that if you are a particular class you can or cannot have access to a weapon, item, or piece of armor.

Rageburst

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 01:27:43 am »
A good example of this approach is Morrowind, where you can buy spells and train the traits you want. Running and jumping, for example, trains the atheletic skills. Pickpocketing people and sneaking improves stealth skills. Using particular spells improves either mysticism, illusion skills or whatnot.

I hope the developpers take a good look at Morrowind. It provides a VERY good standard for a non-restrictive character development design. Even though you can choose to have any spell or train any attribute you want, the design encourages specialization to ensure survival, something which would definitely make PS more interesting rather than trying to excel at everything.

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2002, 02:01:48 am »
Morrowind is the best game ive ever played.
The Great Linksunius

Rageburst

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2002, 03:05:07 pm »
The only thing I didn\'t like about it was that it was singleplayer, and it\'s really you who has to trigger all the events. I\'d like it if random non-linear events also occured... like a sudden army attacking a village.

Of course, the fact that PS is multiplayer doesn\'t really need random events.... It just gets really lonely in Morrowind.... such a friggin\' big world.

Did you download any of its maps? Whoa!! I\'d like to one day venture in that volcano-looking place at the center of the map. Of course, I\'d get my ass kicked on the way by those monsters that suddenly make sandstorms.... or is that only part of the weather?