Author Topic: Guilds  (Read 469 times)

Salizar

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Guilds
« on: August 30, 2002, 09:52:36 pm »
For the creation of guilds perhaps there could be a choice for the creator/founder of the guilds alignment.  Negatively aligned guilds would have tendency to be more offensive and be associated with aggresiveness and battle.  Perhaps being contracted to kill people or attack other guilds.  
Negatively aligned guilds would have aggresive guards and be very competative.
Positively aligned guilds would be opposite, getting contracted for trade, defence or rescue.  They would be passive and instead of warring with other guilds compete their best members against others in arenas and such like.
They would have more defensive structures, such as archer guards on battlements and a lock down gate preventing entry.

Each alignment would have good and bad points.  The negative alignments would not be so good at defending, but would have strength in attacking.  And vice versa.  

Perhaps when guilds become allies they could have a joint headquarters.  And the strengths of the allies would add up in the structure.  Two positively aligned guilds would have more guards and a larger defensive structure.  Two negatively aligned guilds would get bonuses in attacking.  
A negative with a positive would build a defensive structure with a good attacking force... and so on.
Just an idea.
Criticise all you want :)

Regards - Salizar

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 09:56:44 pm »
I dont think the alignments of guilds should be hard coded, it should be reflected in their actions, also there will be guild wars from what i know, but there wont be a constant battle between guilds (physically) but rather competition over wealth and power. If it were made to be a constant war...eventually some guild would come around and just PK newbies all day, and that wouldnt be good for the community

planeSHIFT

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2002, 10:09:57 pm »
I agree with Shanky. If you choose a alignment in the beginning you can never change anymore. Plus that there are more alignmens then just \"good\" and \"bad\"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2002, 10:11:16 pm by ParaSite »
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

Golbez

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2002, 10:52:21 pm »
I completely disagree with the idea. There is more to being evil than having an agressive attitude and an attacking fighting style, as well as there is more to being good that being peaceful and defensive. Ever heard of the expression \"chaotic good\"? And what about \"neutrals\"? As ParaSite said, you can\'t simplify a guild\'s alignment (or a character\'s one) with only two words.

What I mean is, you should be the one that determines the style of your character (as well as the members of a guild determine its style) by in-game actions.

For example, let\'s say I play a Paladin-like character (I know I am talking about characters and not guilds, but I\'m trying to make a point here). Now, he is good aligned, but does it mean he gets a boost on defense? Not necessarily, since his skills and stats depend on MY choices. I might want to make him specially strong so his attacking power is superior to his defensive one.
On the other hand, if I play an Assassin-like character, being him evil aligned does not translate into more offensive power.

I think the same goes to guilds, with the difference that it is not only one person who influences on the style of the guild, but all of its members. Besides, it should be possible to switch styles dramatically (perhaps the leader of an evil guild experienced some sort of enlightment and changed his ways), so being alligned to one side or the other doesn\'t have to restrict the actions of the players.

I probably rambled on and talked about stuff that wasn\'t really the one discussed in the thread, but that is basically my opinion.

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2002, 11:27:14 pm »
I agree with Golbez. Since his way you will have more options. I, and my guild to some extent is a \"Lawfull-Evil\" or \"chaotic good\" and i would like to somehow see it in the game. BUt if not, than i will be forced to play something like \"Evil\" and if that does not make it in the game than i will take whatever. But than again, this can be solved by just putting points in diff sections, making a HUGE amount of diff combinations, to suit every, or most type of players.

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2002, 11:30:54 pm »
But there is no real logical way of implementing an alignment system for guilds, plus it means you are stuck that way, what if one day the guild comes to a realisation that good is the way to go, or that there is too much corruption in the world of evil and you wish to combat it. It is best to just leave it out, and let the guilds decide how they want to play without being limited to alignments

planeSHIFT

Salizar

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2002, 12:18:48 am »
Hurrah, constructive criticism for a change :)
The idea is cast into the abyss then.
Enough said.

Kind Regards - sZ^

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2002, 12:30:32 am »
Dont be discouraged, it looks like that was your first post of an idea, and atleast you tried, there just unfortunately isnt room for it in PS, better luck next time though :D

planeSHIFT

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2002, 01:13:07 am »
WOW, WOW, who says that it won\'t happen. This is still in discussion, and nothing is in stone untill one of the developers posts about it, and says what they are thinking about this idea. Unless i am missing something?

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2002, 01:15:23 am »
Ah, you are indeed right Alucard, your idea isnt finished yet Salizar.

planeSHIFT