Author Topic: Should I Come Back?  (Read 1029 times)

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Should I Come Back?
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:46:33 am »
Hey guys, I'm Kaibane. I quit PS something like a month ago and uninstalled it from my computer. There were 3 reasons behind this:
1) The lag. Hydlaa took 10 minutes to load, and after that the game would freeze up constantly. The entire game, from when I clicked the application to when I pressed the "W" key to move, took literally 20 minutes to start up. I DONT HAVE A CRAP COMPUTER. It's a 2-year-old Macbook that runs WoW very well without lag. This is not a problem with my computer, it's a problem with Planeshift.
2) The changes to gameplay. This might be better if it wasn't for the lag. I wanted to do the winch quests and get a mount (why can't you just buy one???  :@#\) but I couldn't because with the lag in place, it would take too much time.
3) The community. After 0.5 was released, all my friends/a bunch of long-time players who everyone looked up to quit the game, and were replaced by some.... ahem.... less desirable people. Kind of like WotLK. I recall one time when people were making fun of me and calling me a noob, just because I still had stats of 200 after they were supposedly raised. Way to piss off a person who played PS for 3 years >:(

So feel free to comment on this, but my main 2 questions are:
Can I reduce the lag?
Is the game still running/worth playing?

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Come Back?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:11:20 pm »
no

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:17:15 pm »
Trollolololo

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:17:33 pm »
1) I have a laptop dated circa 2007. 2gb ram, core 2 duo T5500, windows xp media center, graphic card nvidia 256mb with turbocache. latest client settings at medium.
no lags.
maybe it's a problem with mac osx version of client, download the latest and give a try.
2) I understood this from the first times I played this game: you need patience. If you don't have it, don't play.
3) You can't react in character? they told you that on main chat? You should have reported the action to GMs...

The game for me is worth playing. but I'm not exactly the average player. In fact I find most games boring after few days. I used a wii for almost 2 weeks. the fact is... I hate Mario.
but no one can decide if this game is worth playing but you.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:54 pm »
Like you see, you can't ever expect much from a human community. You can't avoid meeting some jerks along the way, it's like people work. Don't take training too serious, or the people that brag about it, since it takes too much time to be taken seriously anyway.

You have to make sure your drivers are all up to date, mate. The game's worth playing if you like PS's type: you make some friends, stick around roleplaying mostly light hearted plots. It's also fun teasing some incredible human specimens of both great and low intellects.

My advise: come in game, see for yourself. Doesn't take too much time downloading and trying anyway.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:37:17 pm »
It's not a problem with my computer. It's the shizzle, I can run WoW with no lag at all (not like there was much there to begin with). I guess I'll come back to you guys. It's not going to be the same, but I hope the game still keeps its feeling. Btw, some guy mentioned that I need to delete some shader file or something, like, after I told him that Hydlaa wouldn't load for me. Is there anything I can do to reduce the lag besides turning the graphics down?

*edit

Well, it appears Planeshift doesn't want me to come back. I redownloaded it, opened it, and it just keeps bouncing up and down in my dock for 3 minutes before closing, without an error message.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:03:04 pm by Avathius »

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 07:13:56 pm »
You have to run PSlaunch and snag the update first :P
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 12:31:53 am »
there is for sure an error message in the terminal you just have to launch it from there.

as for the 2  years old claim i've a 4 years old computer which is perfectly able to run ANY game including just released commercial games well and ps runs from 60 to 180 fps (lately i'm locking it at 20fps in order to reduce the cpu use). All this with no lag at all (obviously with an nvidia card supported by current drivers and not legacy).
since the mass introduction of bad quality hw in expensive machines (like intel video cards) it's important to give all details about the configuration. As far as i remember back then normal macbooks where all shipped with intel cards so you can't expect much 3d rendering performance from there. And wow uses a more lightweight engine, but with less graphical features (the fact art is not up to it is another thing). Actually i can play ps with the software render of macosx decently in a virtual machine, likewise natively on my computer...

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:16:37 am »
Check /Utilities/Console.app and see what the messages are related to it starting. I assume you have a Macintosh, since you said dock.

Caraick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 08:47:49 am »

i've a 4 years old computer which is perfectly able to run ANY game including just released commercial games well and ps runs from 60 to 180 fps

:o

* Caraick tries very hard not to drool....  :thumbup:  I'd love to see the specs on that computer sometime, Weltall.... Most I can get mine up to is around 40 fps, and mine isn't even that old  >:(

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 10:40:28 am »
Heavens no.
"A new day will come when those who rudely interrupt are swept away!" -Lereal

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:00:32 am »

i've a 4 years old computer which is perfectly able to run ANY game including just released commercial games well and ps runs from 60 to 180 fps

:o

* Caraick tries very hard not to drool....  :thumbup:  I'd love to see the specs on that computer sometime, Weltall.... Most I can get mine up to is around 40 fps, and mine isn't even that old  >:(
NVIDIA 8600MGT 512MB, intel core2duo T7300 2ghz(2), 4gb of ram
linux/windows 7

suggestions: downgrade to leopard or move to windows/linux if using nvidia, windows if using ati. macosx snow leopard is well benchmarked to have worse opengl performance of up to 20% when using apple implementation (some manufacturers like nvidia provide a replacement stack but it's supposed to be used only in development areas). Additionally it's not possible to make a 64bit build while supporting tiger: this means you lose a lot of performance on the cpu side due to the use of the i386 instruction set.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:03:01 am by weltall »

Caraick

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 12:30:41 pm »
And here I went and upgraded to Snow Leopard a month or two ago... Is it really worth it to downgrade back?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 02:54:43 pm »
probably not considering lion is coming out (even though that's not an assurance apple fixed macosx finally)

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 07:24:33 pm »
All i have to say, is buy another gigabyte of ram.
I had 1.5 GB of ram, and PS didnt run so great...Lagged everywhere, had to minimize the window for anything to load at all, hydlaa took 10-15 minutes..ect ect
Sold the ram sticks i had, bought a 2 GB ram stick (thats only .5 GB extra :P) And now PS runs like a charm, Yes, i still have lag in hydlaa, a little, and hydlaa is the longest loading screen of em all, but the all load, very fast now, and i dont even have to minimize the window :)
So go to your local computer store, not one of em chain stores, but a small, one of a kind business, and buy a ram stick new, 1-2 GB it'll only cost 30-50 bucks, and its hella worth it.

And to those who judge people, based on their stats/skills, you probably dont even belong on the RP server
[assuming thats the one you play on.]
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?