Author Topic: Combat Used To Be Good  (Read 489 times)

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Combat Used To Be Good
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:07:09 am »
I was awesome. I could kill anything that walked the face of Yliakum. I spent a hell of a long time getting to that point. Then 0.5 came out. Can't manage to bring down a tefusang. I sit around b1ch-slapping arangmas and rats all day, until I try to kill a rogue (the one I used to beat the crap out of) and then die and get so pi**ed off that I log. Yeah, my sword skill isn't maxed. My stats aren't AMAZING (has the cap really been raised to 400???). That shouldn't matter too much. Yes, before 0.5 the 3 stats that mattered seemed to be endurance, strength, and agility, and I maxed all of those except endurance, which I got to 150 (this is with a 200 level cap). And then there were weapons skills. Those were the stats that mattered in PvP and PvE. And the player's skill in using offensive/defense stances mattered a lot also. It was this combat system that made Planeshift worth playing compared to many other MMORPG's "click-and-wait" system.
Now I just walk up to any mob and get 3-hit killed, no matter how much dodging, running, and defense I put into the equation, the mob still manages to cut through the heavy armor which is now at horribly low quality because (since the Gugrontid mining spot disappeared) I haven't been able to earn 20k to buy a new set. And now the sabres I used to be able to repair are at half quality and can't dent the tough hide of a consumer (and yes, I used to kill those all the time, too).
Planeshift was never easy. Killing mobs always presented some skill. But now even the stupid riverlings are able to kick my @$$.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Used To Be Good
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 01:03:32 pm »
Seems you've been gone a long time, indeed ;)

Back in the days of Steel Blue and before, you could indeed, as you said, beat up on things like Ulbernauts, the Brigand, and other tough NPC's with very low stats/skills, when compared to the levels required to take down an ulbernaut today.  Right around the time of the .5 release, things became (realistically so) much tougher.  However, many things, like the Dlayo Glads, were unable to be fought effectively by a player without the use of magic.  The devs   :flowers: fixed this little imbalance issue when they changed the cap for all stats to 400, and all skills to 200. 

So right now, I'm not surprised that after being gone as long as you have, you're having troubles with adjusting to the updated strength of the NPCs.  Though, I'd be willing to bet, that your armor and weapon levels aren't exceptionally high (if you're being 3-shot by a Riverling).  Keep in mind also that with 400 STR, END, and AGI, you have double the HP that you could have had when stats capped at 200 ;) 

Hope this helps some,
-CD
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:39:28 pm »
It helps him and anyone else who's joining the game very little. But yeah, it's how it currently is. It was slow before, it's slower now. Have fun :D
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:42:25 pm »
hate to break it to you, sir... but you are a noob. sorry.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »
The problem is exactly that he's not a complete noob. He does have some stats and whatnot. The problem is that even after 10000 hours playing PS you can only kill 5 types of creeps.

(I hope you guys get exaggeration.)
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 09:52:51 pm »
Sarras, you used to whine and moan about the same issue. Perhaps you need to work on your empathy skill a bit.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 03:53:45 am »
yeah, until i realized the mechanics changed. then i levelled up and now i'm a badass.  :D btw, empathy is for tools who can't speak truth.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 05:38:36 am »
Let's not expect too much from her.

Join the Dark Empire!

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 06:14:17 am »
@Caraick - to be honest, I really don't think the devs have 'balanced' anything. However I am not going to complain because it is better than before, I just don't really like how hard it still is for a new player to start off. However I still like the way the game was in 0.4.3 both being combat balance and PP balance.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Elkarway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:26:41 pm »
Let's not expect too much anything from her.

Fixed that for ya, buddy :P

And I'd never call combat 'good', we've been hearing since crystal blue that the training system will be changed, so keep in mind that this is just a placeholder (although it probably isn't at this point :P)

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »
@Caraick - to be honest, I really don't think the devs have 'balanced' anything. However I am not going to complain because it is better than before, I just don't really like how hard it still is for a new player to start off. However I still like the way the game was in 0.4.3 both being combat balance and PP balance.

I'm in no way calling the system completely balanced, far from it :P I just think that the devs did a great job putting the skills and stats up to equal levels, and also at levels that made combatting the stronger NPC's viable.  The increase in levels, and the balance of maximum training levels is something that I've been calling for for a while, along with others.  I still think that there's plenty that should be improved, see my links below, but I think that the system is definitely seeing major improvements, thanks to the hard work in the dev. department. 

Two of my posts on a few sighted issues in the combat system are linked to the below, Vaka.  The first is a comprehensive post on the entire system, and the second deals with the specific issues of the Knives and Daggers skill, if that interests you. 

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=38960.0

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=37912.0

Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »
Let's not expect too much anything from her.

Fixed that for ya, buddy :P

And I'd never call combat 'good', we've been hearing since crystal blue that the training system will be changed, so keep in mind that this is just a placeholder (although it probably isn't at this point :P)

Lmao...