Author Topic: Enter Icerra  (Read 3109 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Enter Icerra
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 03:05:37 am »
That's the end for 'Part 1' of the series. I'm going to go back and do A LOT of editing in the previous installments, as (you've might of guessed it) I pretty much was making it up as I went along :P  :whistling:

So, for continuity's sake, some changes need to be made before any more of the story can be told. That being said, after writing all of this and playing these two characters for a while, I have a very good idea of where the story is going next, who the old fenki in the DR was, who sent Jaxon after Aramara and why, what's the source behind Ara's pyromantic powers, how did Ara end up in Hydlaa and why, and how did Ara become such a devout follower of Xiosia. All of that will be explained in the second Act, so if you've enjoyed it so far, I implore you keep reading.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 03:52:58 pm »
"Splitting Apart. It does not further one to go anywhere."
-The Book of Changes

Father Akame was jostled awake as his wagon bounced over the ruts in the road. He made a low grunt and lightly tapped each cheek twice with his fingertips in a misconstrued attempt to keep his eyes open. It didn't matter, he thought smugly to himself, good Ol' Blue, his trusty rivnak, was smart enough to stick to the road, and lazy enough not to move at a pace faster than an evening's stroll. The good priest smacked his lips and reached for his canteen from underneath the wagon bench. He brought it to his lips and drank thirstily. With a satisfied "Aah", he settled back into his robes and took in the surrounding countryside.

The crystal was shining at its brightest; the Summer's heat oppressive in the open fields of the Barn. The season's crop of wheat was near ready for harvest, the wind creating patterns of golden waves as it swept across the fields. It's a wonder, the dermorian priest thought, how these enkidukai could produce such a bountiful harvest even with this years drought. He was not used to the summer crystal's heat, as he spent his days in prayer and isolation in the forested mountains outside of town.

As a Priest of Xiosia, his life was a simple one, of peace and balance. He kept to himself in a small hermitage which consisted of a living apartment, a small chapel, and a vineyard were he grew terrevan berries. Occasionally he had visitors, faithful from the surrounding countryside, who came to him for teachings, guidance, or for prayer. His guests would often bring him food and supplies in exchange. Every several days he tried to make trips into the outlying villages, to greet the masses and to offer help to those in need. His was a humble existence, no need for airs and pageantry, just service to the Great Mother and all her children.

This trip, however, had its own unique purpose. An old friend and former student of his had appealed to him to take in her eldest daughter as a student. He knew the child and her family well; it was only a few years ago the child had emerged from a brush with death only to remain mute and rather unresponsive to the world. It was then he had been called to their house to pray over the young girl, to bring the passion of life back into her body. His attempts had failed. Now, it seemed, the girl had regained her vigor and speech, but a new problem had arisen; an attempt had been made to capture her.

The news had travelled fast, as it tends to do in small towns. The story was told how  the fenki girl and her sister had been out camping when they were attacked by an avid Azure Way mage. It seemed the younger sister had acted valiantly and attacked the mage, destroying his mind by throwing the glyph he was psychically linked to into a fire. What a way to go, thought the good priest. The mage was dermorian, like himself, but was dressed in strange, fine clothes. It was obvious he had come from distant lands. Something about it didn't sit right with the priest; why would an advanced mage travel far distances to kidnap a poor young fenki child? Perhaps it was the same uneasy feeling that had prompted her mother to ask him to take her in.

Rivnak, cart, and driver meandered into town without much notice. The summer's heat had driven much of the townsfolk inside. Father Akame took note of the squat, round houses, made of thick walls of mud brick. It wasn't that he found this type of architecture distasteful, but it contrasted with his elven sensibilities. He preferred lofty wooden structures set in the shades of the forest. Yet, he understood how the earthen walls kept out the crystal's heat, providing a cool reprise for these hard working agrarian people.

He drove the cart through the dusty streets and came upon the healer's home, pulling up along side it. The sweet and spicy fragrances of the herb garden mixed with the warm air, wafting up to his nostrils and invigorating him from after the day's journey. He pulled from his canteen, cleared his throat, and called out, "Tacutsi, my child! Hail Xiosia! I am arrived!"

The dry red earth crumbled beneath his feet as he climbed down from the cart. The stiffness in his legs shot up his spine and he took the time to slowly straighten himself out. He placed his hands flat on his lower back and arched in an overextension, his spine aligning itself in a series of pops. He stood in idle recovery of newly released tension, contemplating the pink blossoms of a nearby tree, when the heavy wooden door to the healer's home opened inward.

A small fuzzy head poked out, silvery white with black markings, the younger of the two daughters, he remembered. He smiled with warmth and friendliness, as her azure eyes caught sight of him. Her head briskly withdrew back in doors, and he heard the familiar childhood alarm, "MoooOOOthERRR! There's somebody here!"

The good father stood patiently in the yard, pulling at the sleeves of his white robes, trying to look at least presentable. The heavy door opened fully, and within it's frame stood Tacutsi, the local healer of these parts.

She beamed, "Father Akame, how good to see you. Welcome in. Are you well?"

The priest returned the smile automatically. Tacutsi was among Xiosia's faithful and a former student; their friendship ran deep. He crossed the yard and accepted her invitation within. He placed a hand upon her shoulder as he crossed the threshold, "I am well child. The journey was pleasant enough, but I can stand to withdraw from this heat."

"Please, have a seat."

The good father found comfort on one of the silken pillows lain about a low circular table. Tacutsi rushed to the kitchen area and returned with a tray full of fresh fruit and cheeses, drizzled with golden honey.

"Girls!" She cried out in a motherly terseness, "Come say hello to Father Akame."

From the offices adjacent to the main home, the two young fenkis timidly emerged. Father Akame licked his fingers and smiled at them, "Ah, Aramara, you grow as beautiful as your mother more and more each time I see you, and Icerra, I can see you have gained your father's strength."

Icerra guffawed with pride at this flattery, while Aramara bowed her head in modesty, which made her appear like her mother even more. "Thank you Father, I hope you are well."

"Ah, it is good to hear you have your voice back Aramara. I was afraid our conversations were going to be one sided."

Father Akame chuckled lightly at his own joke, but the young fenki did not appear amused. Instead her eyes betrayed a hint of sadness as she looked at him, an expression he would grow used to over time, and only fully understand once it was too late.

"Aramara," her mother broke the silence, "Why don't you go gather your things while Father Akame rests from his journey."

The young akkaio bowed her head and began collecting her few personal items in silent obedience. Her sister bounded over to the table where Father Akame sat and grinned at him, her bright eyes expecting one of the tales of adventure he was fond of telling.

The good priest told Icerra of a proud fenki warrior princess, much like herself, who was out hunting one day when she came upon a giant jade rabbit. She chased the rabbit king through field and forest, across mighty rivers and over the tallest mountains until she had him cornered in a deep canyon. The rabbit king spoke to the huntress, "You have bested me in this hunt, but I am the King of Rabbits, and I hold great power. I can grant you life immortal if you choose to spare mine." The warrior princess took the Rabbit King up on his proposal, and he lifted her up all the way to the stone sky, where they live in eternity, watching the remaining mortals live out their lives below.

"What's a rabbit?" Icerra asked as Father Akame finished his tale.

He sat scratching his head, for he didn't know either. "Umm, well you see, it's a small furry animal, that hops around and, uhhh, has long floppy ears."

Icerra rolled on the floor laughing at the absurdity of such a creature. The dermorian cracked a smile, happy that his quick thinking had saved him from embarrassment. It is a shameful thing for an adult to not be able to answer a child's simple question.

By the time he had finished relating his tale, the crystal had begun to wane, and Aramara had finished gathering her belongings. Tacutsi had packed some a meal for them to take on the return journey, dried fruit and fish, bread and cheese. Canteens were filled from the cistern and Ol' Blue allowed to drink and graze. Father Akame packed the wagon while Aramara said farewell to her family. He was moved by the close bond they all shared, his heart filled with pride and love. He climbed aboard the wooden wagon and offered his hand to lift Aramara up. With tear filled eyes, she nodded solemnly and accepted it, as she had learned to accept fate.

Aramara strained to peer through the darkness. She was lost in the void of the Death Realm, a scared and frightened child, her only guide the strange old fenki she had met upon her arrival. But, without light, she could not see the way. She could not even see her paws in front of her face. She stood still, shivering, turning her head constantly until she caught a glimpse of her guide, the only light in the void, the glowing embers that were her eyes. She stumbled in their direction, until her guide turned to walk further away. So it went, and so it had gone for Aramara knew not how long. Time had no meaning in the void. She lost her sense of direction again, and again stood motionless, waiting for the two guiding flames to show themselves. In the distance they appeared, and again she made her way toward them, but this time the did not disappear. This time, as she approached, they stood fixed, burning in the dark.

Aramara noticed something else too. Next to the ancient fenki with burning eyes stood a squat little hut, shrouded in the mists of darkness. The ancient fenki stretched out a gnarled bony paw and opened a flap. "Enter," she spoke, her voice like a dry wind.

Aramara ducked inside. She was met with a burning fire with a clay pot sitting on top. "Sit," the dry voice commanded, and Aramara sat, her back against the stretched skins which comprised the walls of the hut. The ancient enki followed her inside and crouched over the pot, lifting its top and stirring the contents inside.

Aramara was met with a sharp odor carried with the steam of the boiling contents. The fenki seemed to be satisfied, as a curl appeared on the corners of her thin lips. She rummaged through a sack of items and pulled out a deep wooden bowl. Quickly, she plunged the bowl into the bubbling cauldron, seemingly unphased by the boiling brew within. With a toothy grin, she offered Aramara the bowl. She cackled, "Here child... drink."

Aramara took the bowl in both paws and looked up at her strange guide with eyes wide, "Wh..what is it?"

The fenki cackled again, the sound of wind blowing through a dead and hollow log, "Dear child, drink this and you will be shown the way back to your living world."

Aramara objected, "B... but, y.. you said..."

The flames in the fenkis eyes flared, "Drink!" she growled.

Aramara gulped in fear. Here she had followed this crooked and bent old fenki into an endless, deep well of darkness, was trapped in her hut, she saw no other option. She shut her eyes and crinkled her face as she lifted the bowl to her lips. The brew was sharp, hot and bitter.

"Drink all of it," her guide commanded. Aramara paused after her initial sip, then forced herself to drink the entire bowl.

The ancient fenki cackled loudly. She withdrew the pot from the fire, and replaced it with a bundle of dried herbs. The flames flares as the herbs caught fire, filling the small hut with a fragrant smoke. Aramara had flashes of her home, the scent of her mother. The fenki continued to cackle as she opened the flap of the hut and made her exit.

"Wait!" young Aramara cried out, and tried to lift herself up to follow, but suddenly felt her body grow unusually heavy. Her words seemed to hang in the air in front of her, mixing and swirling in the thick smoke. "Wait..." she repeated weakly.

A tingling sensation came over her. It seemed to start at the tip of her tail but it soon spread over her entire body. Her body began to vibrate at a high frequency. She felt warm, full of electricity. She lay back amongst the furs.

Strange lights began to dance amongst the smoke. Bright, vibrant colors would pop and disappear. The lights grew in number, popping in and out of existence before her. Soon the walls of the hut began to melt away into the black void beyond. Aramara found herself alone with the fire and the dancing lights.

The fire too began to dance and flash with color. It's hue changed from red, to purple, to blue to green. The colors began to flash so quickly that they blended into a brilliant white light. The flames lifted themselves from the ground and danced before her. Aramara heard her own voice echoing infinitely in all directions, "Wait!.... wait..... Wait!.... wait...."

Suddenly the fire erupted into a searing red and white inferno. Aramara stared into its depths. There were figures dancing within, living, burning skeletons. They leapt from within the flames and grabbed her, tearing off her flesh piece by piece, bit by bit. Aramara watched helplessly, somewhat amused as her body was reduced to a pile of ash. Somehow she was now floating above the whole scene, watching her body be destroyed by the flames.

Without her body, Aramara's senses all became one. The void of darkness was now filled with light, echoes of the flashing fire. Patterns of vibrant color radiated infinitely outwards in all dimension. Faces, eyes, mouths formed within the pulsating patterns, beaming love and warmth down upon her. The choir of infinite voices, her voice, chimed and reverberated, blended together in electric motor hum. The sharp bitter taste of the potion became swirling points of yellow light, the sweet smell of herb smoke was the warmth and glow surrounding her. She had become Spirit, was surrounded by Spirit, dwelt in the bosom of the Spirit Realm. The Fire Spirit before her announced her coming, became her guide, asked her simply, "What is it you want to know?"

"I want to know the way back to Life," she replied.

The fire now floated between her vision and the pile of ashes that was her former self. The flames began to form themselves into the shape of her old body, the form of the young fenki she used to be. Her ashes began to rise and form around the flames, creating a new body, a new vessel for her Spirit in the image of her old. When the formation of the new body was complete, Aramara felt herself drawn into it by the flames within. She entered in through the eyes, saw the light and felt the warmth of the Fire Spirit who now shared her body with her. What Aramara felt was love, completion. A voice, her own voice emerged from within, "I am." Aramara opened her eyes.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:28:40 am by Aramara Meibi »

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 06:52:13 pm »
The first thing that comes to my mind is WOW Aramara! Incredibly good stuff here. Why haven't you written a novel yet?

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 12:15:55 am »
hehe, ummm... considering this thread has been the most i've ever written on a single subject... ever.

i don't know, i have quite a few stories that i've started, written maybe half a chapter and then abandoned. I had a friend look through some the other night, and she was really impressed, offered to edit what i had already. As with most creative endeavors, it's hard to pursue without outside encouragement, and that is hard to get when you keep everything you've written to yourself.

playing this game though has been a breakthrough for me. it allows me to enter into the role of these characters, which makes it all that much easier to write about them. not to mention the best supporting cast a fenki can ask for ;)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 04:59:31 pm »
The light has sunk into the earth:
The image of wounding the bright

-The Book of Changes

The rogue emptied his bladder on the sewer wall. Had he been paying more careful attention, or perhaps a little less intoxicated, he would have noticed the splashing of frantically rushed footsteps approaching from the septic waters behind him. But as fate would have it, he and his rogue companions had spent the day celebrating the lifting of a shipment of terrevan berry wine by drinking all of it. His dulled senses and duller mind were fixated on the physical relief of urination and the raucous jokes he and his companions had told, not on the mixed echoes of whimpers, moans and hisses reverberating through the subterranean tunnels. It was because of this that the last thing to enter into the rogue's mind was the hoarse, tear stained cry of a young fenki, "I AM BETTER THAN HER!" before the deadly curve of her steel falchion sliced neatly through his skull.

The morning was crisp when Icerra awoke, dew in the grass and the light mist of fog still hung in the air. The Crystal was just beginning its wax, it's energy yet to burn off the early morning moisture. The young fenki yawned and uncurled from the tight ball of sleep, rolled in the grass and lay outstretched watching the dim light of morning trickle through the canopy of leaves above. Closing her eyes, she focused her senses on the noises and odors of the now familiar city. On the hill above, the tavern was preparing breakfast.

Icerra's stomach rumbled at the scent of egg and meat omelets on the woodfire stove, and she quickly sprang to her feet and took off out of the small courtyard and up the stairs towards Kada El's. Allelia greeted her warmly at the door and fixed her a plate. Icerra ate it down quick and tossed the barmaid a coin and returned to the waking town.

She found a perch on the roof above the courtyard in which she slept, one of her usual spots, and watched the people bustling through the plaza below. A familiar face near the fountain caught her eye; it was Kelan, the birdwatching elf she met at Kada's, who Miomai later scared off and told her he was trying to steal her fur. Her typical fenki curiosity got the best of her and she had to confront him. With agile grace and steady feet she jumped from rooftop to fence, from fence to the ground below and sprinted across the open plaza to face him.

Icerra ran up to him and shouted, "Hey!"

The elf stopped short, startled by the sudden approach, "Hi Icerra."

Icerra looked at Kelan from beneath her oversized helm, trying to size him up in case he really did mean to do her harm. The elf was small and pathetic, she thought, what harm could he possibly do? "You want to talk to me?"

Kelan looked around nervously, "Is Miomai here?"

The mention of the clamod's name agitated Icerra. Miomai scared him off with her daggers drawn last time they met. What did this fool want with that corpse? "Miomai? nah. You lookin' fer her?"

The elf breathed a sigh of relief, "Good, she is not very polite to me. I dont want to see her!"

Icerra tilted her head back, "Yeah, I bet. She told me why she ain't polite"

This peaked the elf's interest, "She told you? Eh, wat did she say?"

Icerra took a big step forward and placed an armored paw on Kelan's chest, giving him a shove, "She said you want my fur. That's what you want from me?" Her voice grew demanding as she confronted the dermorian on the truth.

Kelan took a step back and shook his head shocked, "No, i want to talk to you about last time in the tavern"

Icerra looked at Kelan sideways with skepticism, "What about it?"

About the bet you two had about me.

The bet hadn't been about him in particular. The bet had been over who could "get a man" as Miomai had so eloquently put it. But Icerra had smarts, and she wasn't about to give away such information. The kore fenki with deep blue eyes hidden in the shadows of an oversized helm lifted her chin, "Who said anything about a bet?"

Kelan began to grow upset, "Miomai said it. I should kiss your boots. She said it!"

Icerra couldn't help but laugh hysterically. It was true. Miomai had summoned Kelan to the tavern to see if he would kiss her boot. The hilarity of the moment wasn't lost on the fenki and she broke her threatening composure, "HAHA! Yeah, so why didn't you kiss her boot?"

Kelan was confused " Why do you laugh? I dont like this"

She continued to laugh, unsympathetic to Kelan's feelings, "Because it's funny!"

Kelan frowned in anger "I didnt kiss her boots. And I never kiss her boots!"

Icerra continued to chuckle and took notice of how upset the dermorian had grown in the course of conversation. Cruel as she was, she teased onward, "You kiss anybody's boot?"

Kelan looked as if he was about to cry. With watery eyes he looked at the fenki before him, standing victorious in ill-fitted armor, " No, I think I thought wrong about you"

Icerra tilted her head back and stared down at Kelan from beneath her helm, her laughter suddenly gone, her fierce composure regained, "Whadchoo think about me?"

"I told Miomai that I would like you better then her . And now she hates me. But now I think you are not better than she is." Kelan looked to the ground and turned to go away.

No better than her? No better than Miomai? Icerra stomped her foot on the ground, paws outsteched claws showing, a deep seeded rage long buried broke ground, blossoming fully in anger and hate. She screamed after the elf in full pitch, "I AM BETTER THAN HER!!!!"

Icerra fumed. Kelan stopped in his retreat, turned on his heel and drove the point further, "Hm, but you like to hurt others the same like Miomai does!"

Icerra grabbed a falchion from off her hip and pointed it steadily at Kelan, "You better get out here before I hurt YOU!"

Kelan lowered his head " I will do, but I hoped you were a good one!"

Icerra hissed at the pathetic elf and took off for the sewers, looking for something to kill.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:04:50 pm by Aramara Meibi »

miomo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 11:07:10 am »
It is fun to watch how the effects of ones actions spread out like waves on a pond, touching lives and changing them. In terms of causing chaos, Miomai could hardly be happier (if she knew).
Miomai is currently sane.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 06:40:59 pm »
she knows now! (sorta)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »
* Mariana Xiechai dips her head in respect to your amazing writing talents.
Glad I finally got around to reading it!
[It gave me a reason to procrastinate some more... <_<]

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 10:49:32 am »
O.O you read all... what am I up to now? 8 entries? in one sitting? impressive. I'm very glad you liked it.  :)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 10:55:23 am »
* Mariana Xiechai may or may not read at a rate similar to a gerbil hyped up on caffiene running round and round in it's little spinny wheel <_<

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCzsEgUcWfU

*Aramara may or may not have been referring to the observation that in the current days of facebook and twitter, most folks lack the patience to read anything over 140 characters :P

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 12:58:02 pm »
It's true, it's true, and so very sad...
Also...
KEVIN! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

miomo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 03:13:03 pm »
This is Mariana we're talking about, who can hardly write a single line of RP in only 140 characters.

And while talking about reading speed, Miomai reads like a cat recovering from pentobarb.
Miomai is currently sane.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 02:02:49 pm »
found little spare moments at work to play around with the internets, made a word cloud out of this series so far.

http://www.wordle.net/show/wrdl/4076052/Enter_Icerra