Author Topic: A Little Confrontation  (Read 2393 times)

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
Re: A Little Confrontation
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »
 :devil:
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Delving into the flame
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 10:19:55 am »
Erythros held an eager hand out towards the flame, out towards his Whisper. He could see it in his minds eye: inky ebbing and flowing of that wonderful light. It told him what it wanted him to do in soft, luring tones, and he felt the deepest urge to follow. It was far more than being compelled. It was far more than a simple willingness. There was a force behind this voice, a force that was nearly impossible to resist. All he could think about was to kill, to kill, to obliterate and attack whatever that Whisper told him to go after. And now it was giving him, humble Erythros, a very personal mission. The very idea of it filled him with glee as well as shame.

Shame because even now his own thoughts mocked him:
Think what she would believe if she saw you now. Your eyes gone red and your face lined with sweat. Think what she would think of your thoughts, of the way you lap so eagerly at the opportunity to cause harm to another. She would abhor you. She would scorn you. She would relinquish you utterly, and completely deny that she ever knew you.

Erythros shook his head forcibly as the last of the Whisper's presence leaked back out of his mind, leaving nothing but the vivid images that would allow him to follow precisely its tediously treacherous trap. Apparently this time it was something to do with a guild. Surprising; typically the Whisper was far more secretive than that. To take on a large organization was nearly unheard of, it preferred to work one life at a time. But, perhaps it had more faith in him than even he thought.

He blinked as his vision returned to normal. He squinted his eyes slightly in the dim lighting of the sewers and slowly rose to his feet, bracing his staff against the slippery, moss-riddled floor. When he ascended the ladder that lead to the world above, the crystal-shine assailed his senses, and he blocked it out with his hand. His gaze shifted sharply to the ground, towards a small patch of wild grass filled with an assortment of flora. He spotted a brilliant looking starphire where it poked itself out just past the weeds. Erythros knelt down and plucked it free, twirling it between his fingers and smelling its sweetness to chase the remnants of the dank scent of the sewers from his nostrils.

He had upset his Whisper the other day. He knew he had. It had not tried to speak with him at all since the incident with Mariana and the bumbling Ylian, so he was in truth quite startled when it overwhelmed his senses suddenly and filled him with visions of purpose. Though he would not question it. His calling was assured, and even though he had faltered, it appeared that he was forgiven, at least for now.

I'll give this flower to Mariana, he thought, and the inclination was entirely unbidden. He didn't think twice about it, really. Simply decided she might like a flower.

He purchased a small bit of parchment and ink from Jayose; knowing that no one could track down such a trivial transaction and trace it to him. With his palm pressed to the middle of the paper as he braced himself against a wall, he scribbled the note that the whisper had bidden him to scribe.

That finished, Erythros rolled up the scroll in his hands and then stuffed it neatly into a small container, ready to be delivered unto it's target. A Priestess, if he recalled correctly from their infrequent encounters. Always happy and smiling. Ever effervescent and amiable. It was rather a pity to consider that soon, she would not be nearly so happy. Perhaps the light heart-ed lover of life would soon discover that death's kiss was considerably more potent. More...passionate.

Erythros wandered through the plaza with confident strides, knowing his purpose. He passed the letter to a ylian for him to deliver, slipping him considerable coin to keep him quiet and hiding his features beneath his hood so that not even he would know from whom the letter was sent. With this first part of his mission complete, the dermorian walked silently over the threshold of the tavern door and down into the basement to contemplate. He saw Mariana and he felt his heart beat faster.

She was staring into the hearth as she usually was, seeming drawn to the light and life of the fire. He rubbed the smooth stem of the flower and approached her quietly, offering his gift wordlessly at first. He smiled at her warmly, trying to radiate as much friendliness as he could in the expression, trying to match the same kindness that he was always floored by when she spoke to him.

Mariana's eyes fell to the flower, and she reaches towards it. She took it delicately between her gauntlet-ed fingers and somehow managed not to crush it. She stared at it for a moment, as if numbed by the randomness of the gift, and Erythros felt his heart swell further as her expression softened and she smiled tentatively.

“I...thank you, Erythros,” she said quietly. She cradled the blue petals and gently touched them so that they depressed downwards and sluggishly popped back up again. “How kind of you.”

He leaned against the table slightly and smiled back at her. Every part of  him longed to have her trust. He knew he didn't deserve it. Knew, in fact, that she would be far better off if she trusted her instincts in this matter and veered far away from him whenever they encountered one another. But he could not bring himself to be selfless enough to push her away. At least, not yet. They had grown ever closer over the past few weeks, with a rapidness that startled him. She had taken a fist of volcano to the concrete walls around his emotions. He'd been so dispassionate before, but now, around her, he felt himself having the capacity to feel again.

“You're quite welcome,” he replied. He sat down and let his hand knead the aching muscles in his legs, the tendons weary from traversing the sewers. “I thought you might like it.”

Mariana searched his face, as though she could sense the tiredness in him. She gently placed the flower in a fold of her travelsack where it would not be destroyed by the jostling of her movements or pressed against the other contents of her bag.

“I saw you at that bit of dueling in front of the arena the other day,” she said casually. “I didn't know you were a duelist.”

“I wasn't participating, I don't partake of dueling, no,” he replied. He watched her eyes as she spoke, watched the subtle hints of the ruminations that were going on behind them: the ever-present furrow in her brow, the way her lips twitched when she connected the dots, the telling glimmer of a puzzle solved.

She nodded and tilted her head to the side slightly. “I have trouble picturing you dueling. Simply because I can't see you angry enough to raise your blade to harm another.”

Erythros felt that warmth again, and it nearly overpowered his senses for a moment, stronger than any whisper.

She trusts me, she trusts me, gods above she trusts me...

He laughed quietly, trying not to show the effect her words were having upon him. “Perhaps I should try my hand at it sometime,” he remarked.

“Indeed? That’s be something I'd like to see.” She laughed softly; a warm, rich sound.

He grinned and shook his head with a positively adamant air. “No, it wouldn't. I don't think my dueling skills would be something anyone would like to see.”

Mariana simply shrugged and leaned back in her chair, into a more relaxed position. “There is more to a person than mere strength. There is also character, and that, my friend, you have in spades.”

Erythros closed his eyes for a brief moment. The truth behind it all raged inside of him, rebelling against her generous words. He looked back up at her slowly and spoke uncertainly to her, his voice dipping to merely a quiet murmur. “Why is it that you are so kind to me, Mariana?”

~~

Despite all of the uncertainty this elf left her with, for some reason, she could no longer resist the impulse that lay beneath the current of instability. She wanted to comfort him. She could feel the way his eyes saw nothing but emptiness. At first, she thought he reacted with bitterness. But now, as she'd grown to know him better, there was this incredible sadness about him. She felt badly for him. She felt as though she had to somehow make it better.

What's the matter, Mariana? Can't even admit to yourself that you like the guy? Her conscience mocked her.

“Well...simple. I...I mean, why wouldn't I be? You're respectable enough. You're personality is...refreshing.”

Erythros didn't seem to buy her admittedly lame explanation. He leaned back and observed her speculatively. She twitched in the silence and fidgeted in her seat, until finally she decided to try and flip the situation around.

“Well you could ask the same question of yourself regarding me,” she said with an almost flippant air. “You're kind enough to me without any real reason to be. See? Hospitality. That's how it goes.”

Erythros slowly slid his elbows off the table from where he'd come to rest them. From somewhere above them upon the landing, Mariana heard Dannae speaking softly to someone, a courier perhaps, and the soft brushing noise that follows the passing of a letter. She frowned for a moment as she heard urgent whispering, but her attention was abruptly distracted by the words coming out of Erythros' mouth.

He was leaning casually in his chair, and his hands were folded in his lap. He kept his eyes fixed on Mariana unabashedly. “I find you interesting because you are kind beyond reason, and loving even when you have not been loved. You are joyful, despite a lifetime of sadness, and despite your pain, you still show love and kindness to those who do not deserve it, including myself.”

Mariana felt her  mouth drop slightly. She could imagine the way her face probably looked at this moment: bug-eyed bewilderment, a completely stupefied expression on it. Now, insults she could take. Insults were easy, didn't matter what they were. You could fight back with quick quips and sharp jabs. But this was entirely different. She found this odd sort of paranoia rising up inside of her and slamming into her, telling her he's mocking you somehow, Mari. Teasing you. He doesn't really mean that. He's trying to insult you.

The fenki shook herself and stammered out a hesitant and uncertain reponse. She looked down at the mug of cider in her paws and traced the handle awkwardly, fiddling with the foam that clung to the rim of the drink.

“I...thank you,” she muttered. “For the...um...praise.” She slowly looked back up at him, watching his face, trying to find a sign of sarcasm or irony upon it. She could find none; the only thing present was that soft reassuring smile and those gentle eyes. “Why do you not believe you deserve my kindness?” She blurted. “Ever since I met you you've been nothing but good to me. Or to anyone else, for that matter.”

She caught it: the hint of guilt that flickered for the barest of breaths upon his face. It was so instant that she nearly missed it, but it was there nonetheless. Rather than fill her with fear, it made her all the more curious. There was something going on she didn't know, and didn't understand. She swore to herself then that she would help him with it. It was as though he were trapped inside a small cage. Perhaps she could melt the lock off of it for him.

“You first showed it to me when you did not know me,” he said. “And even now, you still show it, far beyond anything I have showed you in return.”

Mariana shook her head. “No, you've helped me actually,” she confessed. “You put me at ease in a way. You're calm and steady, and that's a relief.” She was lying slightly, it was true. But she did find herself drawn to him for reasons she could not explain.

“I'm glad I could help in some small way,” he replied, still watching her with those searching eyes. She stared at them for a few moments, and her decision clicked into place as she observed the frustratingly emerald pigment. She'd been set on finding out herself, but perhaps she could merely inquire about it outright. It would save time, and she could immediately begin searching for a way to solve whatever the problem was.

“May I ask you something?”

He nodded his head. “Anything,” he responded.

“Your eyes...” She began, trying to keep her tone gentle and without any urgency. “They sometimes...shift color. I was wondering why that is?”

His expression shifted again. It was rapid and fleeting. If she'd looked away even for a moment, she would have missed it before he covered it once more.

“I would answer any question you would ask me. I would only ask that you not inquire about this.”

Mariana nodded outwardly. “If that is your wish, I will abide by it, for now. But know that you can trust me.”

Inwardly she was already going over other possible venues through which she could discover her answer. She could go to Jayose and ask him if he had any books in which similar phenomenon were described. She could find Roberet or perhaps that one klyros...what was his name, Travosh? He might know something, possibly. If he wasn't going to tell her himself, she'd find out some other way. It wasn't about whether or not she was going to make the discovery. It was simply about how quickly she could manage to do so.

She was startled out of her deliberations when she looked back at the dermorian's face. His eyes were misting over as he looked at her, and then more so as he looked down and away. There was shame in those eyes now. It filled her with a strange sort of pain to see it. She wanted to reassure him and tell him that it was alright, she forgave him. There was always room to be forgiven. Whatever it was, she'd help him through it.

“I will not deny you an answer,” he said, his tone softer than usual. “I will only ask that you please, please, please. Do not seek into this.”

Mariana moved her paw over slowly, as though forcing it through wet cement. It hovered over his hand, which was resting flatly upon the table. She steeled herself as if she were about to engage a difficult struggle and allowed it to settle briefly over his hand, touching his skin.

Memories assailed her, but one stood out in prominent, stark contrast: her fingers snapping, one by one, pop pop popping as they were broken. “You shouldn't have dropped that mug,” Kredrian was saying to her, “That was a very fine mug, and now look at it, all shattered. How would you like it if I shattered you?”

“I understand, my friend,” she told Erythros, proud that her voice sounded steady. The memory sent phantom pain to her nerves and her fingers twitched more when he rested his other hand atop them. She flinched, and he removed his hand with a soft apology. “I will not ask it of you, if it causes you such pain.”

She slowly withdrew her paw and flexed the fingers individually before looking back up at him, cringing at the sympathy that was in his eyes.

“I should be getting some rest,” she said quietly. She rose from her seat and grabbed her mug, using the remaining cider to put out the dull glowing embers of the fire in the hearth. “You should as well, it's been a long evening.”

Erythros nodded in response.

“Rest well, Mariana,” he said.

She nodded once and moved over to the stairs, clutching the handle of the mug hard enough that she was surprised the ceramic piece did not break within her grip.

But don't think this is over, elf.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:04:07 am by Mariana Xiechai »

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 10:21:23 am »
Sorry this one took so long to write; I confess one of my shotcomings as far as writing is I enjoy writing the more "action-y" bits but the ooshy gushy blahblabla....not so much  ;D

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 12:51:18 pm »
I know that feel before I retired my keyboard  ;)

but its always good to have a little non-action every once in awhile, gives your story something for people who don't like the action.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 01:29:35 pm »
you've taken what is on the surface a simple and mundane conversation, and dilated it with the emotions and inner dialogue, complex reasoning taking place within each moment, behind each small action. You've created enough tension and suspense within the context of a brief exchange of words to keep at least this reader intrigued and entertained. That's saying a lot too, considering I already know the plot of this story. But now I get to see it through the eyes of others involved.

all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 11:01:40 am »
I'll admit the difference between RP and writing that I actually don't like is the inability to display complex thoughts. When you're in a conversation often you don't say all that's going on your head (sometimes for the best) and often that's actually far more interesting than what makes it past the filter  :P

I do tend to write more in head than out of head because it helps me connect to the character more, but I need to cut back on it so that I can make this story move it's hiny faster  ;D

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 02:55:14 pm »
I agree. Something that I've been struggling with as I work to improve my RP is that in RP I'm limited to describing outward actions, all the really good juicy stuff I'm forced to keep to myself. I find difficulty in describing outward actions, any attempts to have one of my characters (i wonder which one) act in any elaborate way, I always feel comes off either very rigid or overly forced and cartoonish. It may not help that in real life I live entirely inside my head and on the surface I have the demeanor and personality of a shy rock. Hence, writing about my characters gives me a chance to explore their inner dialogue, and I kinda revel in it. Break this rock open and I might turn out to be a geode

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2011, 03:57:20 pm »
I agree. Something that I've been struggling with as I work to improve my RP is that in RP I'm limited to describing outward actions, all the really good juicy stuff I'm forced to keep to myself. I find difficulty in describing outward actions, any attempts to have one of my characters (i wonder which one) act in any elaborate way, I always feel comes off either very rigid or overly forced and cartoonish. It may not help that in real life I live entirely inside my head and on the surface I have the demeanor and personality of a shy rock. Hence, writing about my characters gives me a chance to explore their inner dialogue, and I kinda revel in it. Break this rock open and I might turn out to be a geode

Do what I did, create a character whom will say almost anything in his head and hang the consequences.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »
Do what I did, create a character whom will say almost anything in his head and hang the consequences.

never had a problem with dialogue in RP and Ara might be one of the most frank and direct characters currently in the game, at least I put effort in playing her that way. What I was speaking of was describing the physical actions of my characters, their gestures, body language and so on.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2011, 05:10:08 pm »

Because, clearly, that's worked out so well for you, Batman.  ;)
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 05:23:14 pm »
Seems to have.

And yeah, sometimes its hard to properly use /me and describe physical things, but i think it gets easier with practice. What irks me the most is people who use *(action)* when a /me would be superior in EVERY WAY. It just angers me. >.<

(You know who you are dammit. >.>)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
The first Letter
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 04:40:39 pm »
Dannae held the letter between trembling hands. Her eyes darted over the words frantically, fitfully, while her mind attempted to grasp the what and why of the situation. She could feel the chilling tendrils of panic riding up her spine. She could feel hear heart skip a beat in a painful throb and then start again as the reality of the words scribed in half-dried ink sunk into her head.

I know your secret.
You must reveal the truth publicly, or the three named will all die in seven days.
I may choose to forget this if you choose one name and shout it for all to hear outside the tavern within the hour.

Choose wisely.

Ixi, Erythros, Zalya

The nolthrir woman let her eyes dart back up to the messenger that had delivered the threat to her. He seemed simple and unassuming enough, nothing out of the ordinary about him. He actually smiled at her, and was in that expression she realized that in all likelihood he truly had no idea about the contents of the letter he'd just given her. He wished her a nice day and strode casually and amiably out of the tavern.

Dannae stared back down at the parchment, hot tears in her eyes and a knot forming in her throat.

“Why is this happening,” she breathed, sliding into a chair with the letter still clutched between her fingers. “What kind of sick joke is someone playing?”

Nothing answered her rhetorical question. She reached up and gripped the symbol of Xiosia that hung around her neck and muttered soft words of prayer as she read the letter over again, and again, trying to make sense of it and mulling over what this “truth” could possibly be. Nothing came to her mind, nothing at all that would warrant such death threats. With an internal hopelessness she realized that there was no way she would figure out what this unknown villain wanted. And that meant that they either all had to die, or just one.

Or is that it? She thought, running a hand through her long black locks of hair. She clucked her tongue against the roof of her mouth. If I shout a name, will that person be..spared?

There was only one name that stood out if she made that decision. It was a selfish one, perhaps, but one she had to make. After all, she barely even knew this Erythros. Ironic that even now he appeared to be on the lower level of Kada's; she could hear him talking to Mariana now, their voices somewhat low and strained with emotion. Normally she might have been curious enough to listen. But as of this moment, nothing but terror and sorrow permeated her thoughts.

The fear quickly morphed into wrath the more she thought about her predicament. She'd done nothing to deserve this, and as far as she knew, neither had the people whose names were scribed upon the letter. She stood up forcefully. Her chair toppled over and hit the ground with an audible thunk. The letter crinkled in her hands as she angrily wadded it into a tight ball, her face forming an outraged scowl.

“I don't KNOW what this truth is!” She snarled, as though the one seeking out this answer from her could hear her from the shadows. “How am I supposed to choose?” She added, voice growing soft and breaking upon the last word of the sentence.

Her feet carried her almost mechanically out of the tavern. She let her legs pump as she ran for the exit, her hand still clenched tightly around the wrinkled letter. Simply to keep her tortured thoughts from keeping up with her, she might have kept running, had she not run straight into Travosh almost instantly.

She staggered to a stop before she bowled into him, thankfully. She stood panting for a moment, her legs shaking and her eyes watering with emotion.

“Travosh!” She exclaimed.

“Dannae,” Travosh replied calmly, as though the were simply reaffirming that they both in fact had names.

“Something has happened!” Dannae managed to say, her voice somewhat strained. “A...a stranger gave me this.” Her arms moved to cradle the note between her hands, her delicate fingers working to maneuver it so that she could smooth out the creases and make the writing legible again. After a fair bit of fretting she managed to suitably solve the issue and offered it to Travosh with a wide-eyed expression.

The klyros took it in is own clawed hands and studied with with growing concern, his white pupil-less eyes quickly skimming its contents. He let out a hissing sound as he reached the end of the writing and looked back up at Dannae quickly. The Xiosian priestess was watching him with a hopeful expression, obviously pleading with him, wanting him to tell her what to do. He passed the letter back to her and reached up to scratch his chin, thinking over the situation before giving voice to some advice.

“We have seven days to work with. Have you noticed anyone strange around you lately?” He inquired, keeping his eyes locked on the frazzled nolthrir. He said this mostly to calm her, knowing that if she flew into a full-out fit things would only degenerate from there.

Dannae shook her head, freeing some more strands of her hair so that she managed to make herself look even more out of sorts. “I have to yell a name,” she admonished, the words sounding heavy and leaden in her own ears. “Maybe...at least one of them will be safe.”

Ixi. She added mentally

Travosh latched onto that detail, lowering his voice as he spoke his question. “In order for you to yell a name...someone would need to be around to hear it, correct?” His eyes roved instinctively towards the alleyways around the tavern as he spoke this fact.

Dannae's face brightened with some hope, and she nodded obligingly, agreeing with Travosh's observation. She too took a moment to look about her once the words sunk in. “Yes, perhaps close by.”

The klyros offered the incriminating note back to Dannae, observing her for a moment as though to reassure himself that she still had her head firmly on her shoulders. Satisfied that she wasn't at least totally hysterical, he gave an affirmative nod.

“And if a few people where to do a little searching...”

“I honestly don't know what they would want!” Dannae cut him off, gripping the letter once more in her fist. The letter indicated that she had done something grievous to warrant this attention, that was true. She needed to know if people would judge her, possibly even fear her. They might become angry with her that she could not confess this truth. But she would shout it on the rooftops if she had even the smallest inclination to what it was. Unfortunately, still nothing came to mind.

“I believe you,” Travosh replied reassuringly. “The targets could be by random chance, though I think talking to Erythros could be a good start, as he is listed among those who might die.” He shifted the conversation quickly to keep Dannae's mind on track and focused on how to solve the issue quickly.

A cold shiver ran down Dannae's spine. She hugged herself and shook her head, muttering things in a soft voice. “I'm so scared, why do these things always happen to me? I should warn those listed on the note...gods, I hope this is all nothing but a sick joke.”

“Have you made any enemies in the past?” Travosh continued, as though she hadn't spoken. Best to keep her focused then let her start brooding. It would do no good.

She shook her head again in reply. “I don't know,” she murmured.

Travosh nodded his head decisively. “I'm going to take a walk around the perimeter then and see what I can find,” he stated. “Stay around here, I'll be back soon.” He turned around with a soft rustle of red way robes and made his way down the stairs towards the Plaza.

Dannae watched him go, sending up more prayers to Xiosia as she stood there in front of Kada El's. “Thank you Travosh, I didn't know what to do,” she whispered, her words perhaps too soft for him to even pick up. She leaned back against the rough wooden boards of the tavern wall, buried her face in her hands, and wept.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:44:03 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 04:41:30 pm »
Just a quickie one from one of the RP's Dannae sent me to prove I'm not dead...well I am. Mostly. Just busy. Sorry for the slowness  :-[

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 05:09:58 pm »
Ah yes the letter incident... fun times

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Running
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 12:51:28 pm »
Erythros stared across the table, his hands gripped beneath it and clenched to keep them from shaking. Beads of perspiration lined his palms and were starting to form a steady trickle down the back of his neck. She was there, present as any other time, always willing to listen to him no matter what he had to say. Right now, her keen eyes were watching his face with uncertainty, with bald and open concern. She could see that something was wrong. The fenki was peering right past his eyes and down into his mind.

Mariana placed a gauntlet-ed paw on the table's surface and leaned forward slightly. Her shoulder shifted with the movement, giving off the screech of metal against metal. He could tell that she'd picked up on the tension in the air like a well-tracked scent. Her pupils were contracted slightly, and her tail was twitching back and forth where it hung near the floor in a steady and even way.

“I won't insult you by asking if anything is wrong,” she stated simply. He was as open as an old tome right now, and he knew it. Mariana was no idiot. He should not have come here, not now, not with the Priestess right upstairs. “Instead, tell me what is bothering you, my friend.”

You fool! Erythros battered himself. You should not have exposed yourself so clearly. Writing your name upon the note was not enough, you should have hidden yourself from view...

Of course he needed to hear which name the nolthrir selected. So that he could carry out the whisper's glorious will. That was right, wasn't it? That was what he lived for, what he yearned for. That and nothing else. He knew this as he knew how to breathe, how to eat and drink. It was as second nature as clenching and relaxing his own hands.

Those hands remained beneath the table now, the knuckles turning white as the blood-flow was restricted from them. He focused on the feel of his boots against the worn wooden floor. Concentrated on the sensation of having the leather soles move over the ragged, somewhat splintered wood, hoping one of the loose pieces would pierce through the thick fabric and into his skin. That pain would be better than the inner turmoil he was now facing.

“This is wrong,” he whispered, more to himself than to her.

“What is?” Mariana replied, her ears easily picking up on the reluctantly uttered words.

Erythros looked back up to Mariana, holding her gaze for a brief moment, then looked away as though the sight of her pained him. “All of...This. I should never have...I cannot...” He dug his nails into the skin on his hands, so hard he could feel it leave a line across his fingers. The brightness in his eyes dimmed slightly, became harder, more detached, falling into a defensive mechanism that he ran to for his own disturbed form of salvation. Please don't dig deeper, Mariana. Please, don't try to help me. Don't try...

“Why is this happening? What kind of sick joke is someone playing?”

Erythros cringed inwardly, strangely enraged as well as shamed as the priestess's hysterical words reached them below. He glanced up briefly and noted that Mariana was too busy with him to really pay attention, which he was more than thankful for. For at least a few more brief moments, they could remain like this, like friends, perhaps as more. Perhaps...

You have a job to do, lover.

He gritted his teeth and the coldness that was spreading in his chest grew frigid as ice.

Mariana raised one of her brows, her eyes glinting with an emotion he could not translate. “What, talking to your friend is wrong?” She gestured at the food in front of her, to the pie and warm drinks she'd spread out before him in hopes he would eat some of it. “Sharing a meal is wrong?” She looked at Erythros curiously. “I do not think I understand.”

He forced his eyes to rove back up. He willed them to look upon her with certainty, to speak to her as though he were one hundred percent assured of his position so that she would not question his words and would not pursue the why behind them. “Talking to my friend in the way that I have spoken to you...Feeling the way I do, and seeing you the way I do. It is all wrong...”

He reached instinctively towards the table, towards a fresh loaf of bread that rested atop one of Allelia's badly abused plates. His fingertips grazed the crunchy top of the loaf when his eyes flashed and the voice slammed into him again, forcing him onward, prodding him with a ferocity that was more painful than he could ever remember it being before.

Not done yet! Not done yet! Finish it, lover! Break her! Cast her aside, tell her to run out on you and never return. Mine! You're mine! MINE!

He jerked his hand back as his eyes tinted red, and he glared down at the table.

Mariana's attention was still riveted on his face, and he knew without a doubt that she was observing his every action, his every expression. She could no doubt see the lines of strain that were radiating across his features. There was no doubt in his mind that even now, though he'd voiced nothing, she was aware that he was in agony. That knowledge made him both grateful and resentful. No more, Mariana. Leave me, I deserve to be left to rot.

“I do not understand,” Mariana replied to him. She leaned forward more, her movements ever belayed by the creaking of that damned metallic armor. “I don't see a problem with the way you see me. We are friends.” Some uncertainty slipped into her tone, and it made his heart quiver to hear it. “We are friends...aren't we?”

Erythros shifted his legs beneath the table, first one way, then the other, trying to let some of his tension and apprehension flow out of him with the mundane motion. “I wanted that, Mariana,” he said, voice harsh in his own ears. “But it is impossible, between you and me...”

He jumped slightly as she slapped a paw down on the table, and was somewhat startled by the smirk that grew on her face. “Well it's too late for that!” She exclaimed, missing his meaning by a mile or two at least. “We already are friends!” She beamed enthusiasm and geniality at him.

Some mirth warmed his chest at that. In so many ways Mariana was almost childlike. Strange, that with her past, she seemed so ready to leap into friendship. She truly did not understand what he meant...she was clueless. He thanked the Whisper silently for that.

A bitter sigh escaped his lips, and he clasped his hands down hard on his knees. “We may be friends...but you must not seek it any further than that,” he replied to her. How had it gotten this far? With the offering of a mere flower, with hours spent simply chatting over water and cider. How had he allowed this fenki to get this close? He'd endangered himself, his devotion, his whisper. He looked back up at her and focused on her with an affirmative nod, forcing his chin to bob in the motion mechanically. “Friends,” he repeated with a dark tone to his voice. A heavy, weighted tone.

The fingers on Mariana's right paw twitched. She reached over and let her claws scratch along that scar, that terrible scar that ran around it and left it bare of fur. That the tic had taken over in her anxiety seemed lost to her, and she smiled despite the fact that she'd already just given herself away. It was a sad, unstable smile. One that was forced, and one that wounded him more than if she'd simply burst into tears. “Erythros,” she said gently. “Even if I wanted that...I don't think I could seek it out.”

Her words struck him with brute force, and he resisted the urge to feel his chest and search for a gaping hole. He nodded again, jaw clenched tight, molars grinding one over the other. “Good.” He said, slowly, deliberately.

Again, the fingers on her paw twitched, and she raised her arm horizontally. She was unsure of what to do, and her hesitation bit harder than any angry velnishi claw ever had. “It...It's alright, I'm sorry.” Her cold metal fingertips grazed his shoulder, and he cringed outwardly. “Don't...don't touch me,” he hissed out, the words flung into the air past gritted teeth. Her paw drew away from him again and she folded those trembling fingers into a fist just before it disappeared from his sight beneath the table.

The telling smash of a chair hitting the floor echoed in the silence that ensued, and Erythros' face lost all emotion for a moment as he heard heated words uttered from above them: “I don't know what this truth is, and how am I supposed to choose?” Feet pounded against the wooden floor and he let his eyes flick upwards for the barest of moments, just in time to see the nolthrir fleeing into the night with his letter clutched in her grasp.

“I should go,” Erythros rasped, and he stood to his feet, collecting his staff in a pale and quaking hand. Mariana stood as well, and from the gleaming obstinate look in those gold-flecked eyes, he knew that this was not going to be easy.

The enkidukai moved gracefully around him, planting herself like a titanium wall between him and the stairs...and freedom from this claustrophobic and terrifying situation. Her arm moved again, this time with a force, and gripped his shoulder in an iron vice. Her lips quivered slightly and he could see the fur along her bare neck prickle at the contact. The flash of pain that skittered across her brow was a serrated knife to his chest. “No. Stay.” She demanded.

He locked eyes with her. He felt the heat crawling up his spine and latching onto the back of his brain again. He felt his higher senses of thinking dull, and only aggression pounded through his veins with every beat of his blackened heart. “Let me go, Mariana. Do not follow.” He tried to take a step back, to extricate himself from her grip, but she only tightened it and made her stance more solid. “I don't need your help.” He ground out. “Let me go.”

His words injured her, that much was obvious as crystal shine on a cloudless day. But she remained stubborn as ever, the steady beating of a gentle rain, the stubborn throbbing of a hearth fire in wintertime. “I think you're lying, Erythros. I can see it. You do need help. And I'm going to to my best to help you. I care about you. Your friendship is dear to me.”

Feet shifting in a smooth motion, he rocked back on his heels, trying again to break her grasp. She finally released him, pulling her paw back as though she'd been burned. With quick and jerky steps she moved to the base of the stairs and planted herself again between him and the exit. “Fine, but you aren't leaving.”

Standing between us, dear. Look at what she's doing to our beautiful relationship! Are you going to let that happen? Knock her aside like the cur that she is. Cast her aside and run to my embrace.

The rage was a tangible thing now. It was racking its bloody claws along his spine. He knew his eyes were tainted by it, shifted by it. He took a step forward so that he stood before Mariana, and raised his hand to hover directly by her bare, exposed neck. “Yes, I am,” he replied to her.

Fear. It glimmered in stark reality at his proximity, infecting her, overtaking her. But she didn't respond to it. She rolled her shoulders and crossed her arms over her chest, despite the panic he knew she was experiencing. “No. I'm sorry, my friend, but I cannot allow that.”

Erythros moved his other hand to hover at her throat, and her nostrils flared with the motion. Her tail swished back and forth with unspent aggression and her ears lowered and flattened hard upon her scalp. “Move, Mariana. Now.”

Her lips quivered slightly. “No,” she said, her voice rising at the end as though it were a question and not a statement. His hands hovered only an inch from her neck now, and she refused to even look at them or acknowledge their presence. “I want to help you, I...”

SHUT HER UP!

His hands clamped down of their own accord. The soft fur on her neck felt odd against his fingers. He buried them deeply in it, cutting off her sentence. He didn't choke her, because he knew he didn't need to by the sharp tremor his touch sent rocketing down her body. Her eyes shrunk to slits and she let out an almost tormented whimper, taking an immediate and stumbling step away from him. He watched her rub at her neck with her paws and the horror that she regarded him with made him want to throw up. He turned towards the stairs and ran up them, frantic steps leaving a thump thump thump to announce his escape.

That's right, you swine. Go back to your hole where you belong. Never emerge again. You've a job to do, and she's too good for you.

She cried after him, but he ignored it, fleeing to the sewers past the Priestess and the Klyros outside the door.

“IXI VENO!” The former cried out, and his ears pricked at the words, trained to inscribe them upon his soul and carry them home. His fleeing form was engulfed by the darkness as he plunged down below the city.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:38:09 am by Mariana Xiechai »