Author Topic: The Great Planeshift Story Challenge! Rules and Comments Thread  (Read 1353 times)

miomo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Planeshift Story Challenge! Rules and Comments Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 05:51:57 pm »
Sorry folks, but I believe I have fixed it. This is new desktop publishing software for me, and I think it works on my computer because I already have the fonts installed. I changed how it published the PDF, and now I can display the document on my phone, so I suspect you can read it too.

Thanks for letting me know.
Miomai is currently sane.

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 06:04:05 pm »
YEP Miomo, there's an actual story there now in the pdf....... magic!  ::|

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 06:49:06 pm »
that's what you get for writing in invisible ink.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 07:11:30 pm »
 ;D Invisible Ink? Miomai you devious little fenki you.

miomo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 07:52:07 pm »
Actually I was using the 21st century equivalent of invisible ink: WOM, or Write Only Memory.
Miomai is currently sane.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 12:53:24 pm »
Due to the number of votes received so far, I'm extending the voting deadline until the 12th of November

That's a whole extra week for voting, people! Send those ballots in so your favorite story can win!
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 06:12:45 pm »
OK, the votes are in the process of being tallied up and the winners should be posted later on tonight!

Thanks again, everyone who wrote and voted!
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 06:26:44 pm »
Thanks again, everyone who wrote and voted!

yer welcome... but why do i get the feeling that those are the same people?

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 11:21:24 am »
Now that voting is done and the winners have been posted, it's time for me to make my comments. Yes, yes, I know you've chewed your fingernails down to the middle knuckle of each finger in anticipation of what i have to say. Well, chew no more fellow PSers and/or forum lurkers, my personal opinions are to be disclosed forthwith.

First, for my submission, I can't see past all the glaring spelling and grammar errors, the brutally offensive tense changes where I didn't correctly transpose RP logs into prose. I feel my writing started off strong and grew weaker and weaker throughout. Maybe I shouldn't have written too much, it's just at the time there was so much happening in game with Icerra that I needed to include, as her character was developing rapidly. How I won 'Best Plot' I have no clue, since my story had no coherent plot, was written in anachronistic order and even included a scene from an alternate future timeline. That leaves me to believe that you are all insane. Winning 'Best Action Scene' I can only take half credit for, the other half goes to Kelan, as that scene was actually RPed ingame. That's enough about me, let's get to the other authors.

Jilata, your story was completely heartwrenching and heartwarming. I like how it was written in the groffel's viewpoint, I thought that was very creative. It had me thinking about what my cats go through when I'm not home, although in reality I'm sure they pretty much don't care, and would only notice once they go several days without food if I were to never return.

Rhateru, whoever you are, whereever you are, there needs to be more of you. Love your optimism, and I'm proud that you've made a guest star appearance in my 'Enter Icerra' series.

Miom*, thanks for the insight into Miomai's madness and her sudden and unexpected change into a clearminded, rational being. I think your story has a much bigger impact on those who know the character well and have been witness to that change. Somehow you have a knack for exploring the darkest corners of the psyche and for turning solutions into bigger problems. I can't wait to see how things further develop with your characters.

Same goes to you Mariana. I'd only had a few encounters with Rhianon before this contest, and I had no idea have how grueling and gruesome a past she had. That was another dark journey through a troubled and demented mind.

And Teshia... you dare to project that far ahead eh? Pretty gutsy. I thought your story was heartwarming as well, actually. I'm glad to see Tesh and Car made it last, and I like that you'd fully developed their childrens' personalities in the story. I regret not RPing much with their children as cubs. It'll be interesting to see how things really turn out in comparison.

I think that's everyone... Let me say there was one category winner (besides myself) that I must disagree with, and that is Darkest Character. I think that that goes hands down to Dakkru in ALL of the stories. That Goddess sure has been busy lately.

Anyways, congrats and thanks and congrats and thanks to all who participated, whether in writing or voting or both, special thanks to Caraick for hosting and running the contest, thanks to the developers for creating this world for these characters to live, and thanks to all the players. Keep doing what yer doing. See you in game.

now please remove yer bloody finger stubs from yer mouth and please go see a doctor.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 03:25:21 pm »
I suppose I can post my responses to the stories as well now...since nobody will likely read it anyway....<.< >.>  ;D

Aramara: Sometimes crazy off the wall stories are the best, which is why you won best plot. Being unpredictable is awesome-sauce. Also, you're your worst critic isn't just a saying, trust me, it's true. You're probably better at writing then you give yourself credit

Rhateru: I lurve you. :D No, but seriously. Your story got a good giggle out of me and I appreciate that greatly. Many thanks. *raises her coffee mug in salute*

Jilata: Your story reminded me of working at the veterinarian. I dunno why, precisely...probably because that's how I'd imagine the patients were feeling if they had the ability to speak. Altogether I really enjoyed your story, had a sort of homeward bound feel to it that I that was cool.

Miom*: You do not give yourself enough credit, sir. I really thought the way you represented Miomai's mania in your writing was both believable and understandable. And understandably creepy character. Logically insane. What was I saying? Oh yes. I enjoyed your story very much.

Teshia: I agree with Aramara, into the future?! BACK TO THE FUTURE! Wait, no, wrong story. Anyway, I liked the individuality you were able to portray in your children in just a few short passages, and I found myself very interested in the plight of Zeltir. What happened to him to get him to that point? He seems lifeless, but it was he in the end that honored his mother's memory the most with his display. Veeeeeery interesting.

I have spoken! I really don't know what I have spoken. I should get back to studying now. DEAR GOD, NO! NOT THE WILLIAMSON ETHER SYNTHESIS! PLEASE, I DON'T WANT TO LEARN ANYMORE ABOUT PHENOLS! NOOOOOOooooooooooooo

Rhateru

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 03:54:32 pm »
* Rhateru grins widely, "Waayow!"

Ah ain't never thunk Ah'd git an award an' a half! An' mah story's jus' a little paragraph next to all of yers an' 'specially that one that even went over the page count. Sure looks like yeeou all put a lot of time into 'em, with all kinds of imagery an' deep characters and great endings an', uh... they were real real real nas!

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 06:41:32 pm »
*tries not to get caught reading the responses* :P

Really... I enjoyed every story, but can't really say much about it. I am not that good with words sometimes ;)

I thought explain how my story was created. You caught that feeling I wanted to transfer and I am glad I was able to transfer it to you. :)
About a week before I started writing, I saw at dog for a short moment before I entered the train back home from work.  The dog reminded me of my old dog which I grew up with and which died about 3 years ago. It was a great shock for me. On the second glance, it wasn't as similar as it had been on the first one. Still I had that memory of the loss clearly coming back.
When I actually started writing, it was raining heavily. I think I started with rain cause of that. I decided not to write about Jilata and in the end wrote about a groffel. As I wrote somehow that meeting with the dog the week before mixed in there and the story turned out like that, even though I planned something happy before.

I hope next time I will be able to write a happy story ;)