Author Topic: A Life Devoted  (Read 2739 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
A Life Devoted
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:40:44 am »
A Life Devoted
Image is from this album cover

Part One

“Unamorel Gellantara?” the Librarian asked as he raised his eyes over the rims of his glasses, from the card held firmly between the tips of his forefinger and thumb to the sandy eyed Ylian girl who stood on the other side of the heavy maple desk at which he sat. Day in and day out he sat there, as students such as she came in for their research and studies. She was just one of countless others, their faces had now become a blur, a steady stream over the course of fifty years of his life, performing this very task hundreds of times a day. They would trickle in and out, through day and night, showing him their student identification cards before they would disappear into the endless rows of deep, high shelves, overflowing with volumes and texts, for hours on end to reappear later with a small stack of books to be checked out. He’d stamp the date on the inside of the books, write their titles and authors on his list, and stamp his list. “These will be due back in five days,” he’d tell each faceless, voiceless body, without even bothering to look at them. Fifty years to this day, he thought as he handed the card back to the girl after she affirmed with a tight-lipped, soprano “mhmm.” Where has the time gone?

Unamorel plucked her identification card from his fingers and ignored the sour look on the Klyros’s face, as she and many others had done innumerable times before, never bothering to say more than one word or utterance at any given encounter with the clerk. She had other things on her mind, like that report Professor Dagarkin had just assigned on the use of velnishi pineal glands in contemporary alchemy. That lousy old dwarf, she grumbled inwardly as she roved the rows of books, searching for anything she could find on the topic, of course he’d announce such an assignment when the Annual Grande Masquerade Ball is less than a week away! I don’t even have a costume yet! Ugh!!! Why can’t they think of some sort of numbered catalog system to organize these books!?

“Shhhhh!” came the librarian’s hush from somewhere remotely behind her. What!? How can he...? erghh, stupid Azure Way...

After much searching she finally found a book that covered the topic, The Ineffable Psychoactive Effects of the Reptilian Endocrine System, Dr. Xandak Gladhomin, Knowledge Seekers Guild Press, 5th Edition. The book was much more voluminous than should be allowed a text on such an obscure subject, bound in the skin of some poor dead riverling. Unamorel lifted it from the shelf with a disgusted sigh and flipped it open to scan through its pages and find the chapter on velnishis. As she opened the front cover a small pamphlet slid out of the book and landed at her feet.

What’s this? She stooped down to pick it up, holding it before her as she straightened. Now, Unamorel was only in her second year of attending Main City University, and already she was unhappy. She had never in her life been so far from her home in Hydlaa. She missed her family, her pet yulbar, her friends. Her parents, being alchemists both, had her studying this discipline of which she had no interest, and being stuck in school, with her nose in a book day in and day out when she would rather be socializing, she had no interest in that either. Actually, she had yet to find any subject or career field that could hold her attention for very long; everything seemed dull, boring, too laborious, too academic for her tastes. But standing amongst those dusty old shelves filled with ancient tomes of knowledge, she found her answer and held it trembling in her hand. Her curiosity was sparked pretty much by the title of the pamphlet alone:

Cryptozoology: Living Creatures of the Death Realm
Brother Jamnin Tarmikos, Ferryman, Dakkru’s Enlightened and Devout

Many would be shocked to learn that there are actual lifeforms that reside solely in the Death Realm, unique and completely independent from those well known in the Land of Yliakum. How can Life exist within Death? That is one of the Great Truths that are being explored by the Ferrymen and Psychopomps of Dakkru’s Enlightened and Devout. Great men, women, and gemma have sacrificed the time given to them in Life and dedicated it to understand the very Nature of Death. Their findings and insights have proven invaluable in understanding the very Nature of Existence itself!
The creatures that reside here exhibit all the basic life functions that those animated objects that we call the Living of Yliakum do. They undergo metabolism, maintain homeostasis, possess a capacity to grow, respond to stimuli, reproduce, and through generational changes, adapt to their environment. What sort of living environment is the Death Realm? How can Death sustain Life?
Creatures of the Death Realm share another trait with those of the Living. They Die. Is Death then too a fundamental part of the definition of Life? What happens to the living creatures that die within the Death Realm? Do they reappear and recycle in a far removed location? Or do they pass on, just as we pass on to Death? If Death is without Life, then what is without Death?
Come join us in our Quest for Truth of this Eternally Vast Gift given to us by the Dark Goddess Dakkru as we explore these mysteries and more. Ask your local Kali today how you can become part of Dakkru’s Enlightened and Devout.

The pamphlet was of simple press, but without a crease or tear. It came with a tiny emblem aligned at the bottom, three spheres caught up in a single knot. Unamorel dropped the book on reptilian biology, which is a shame, for in it is contained a bit of ancient knowledge, older than the Gods themselves, for which she would spend her whole life searching and never find. It would remain for her a missing piece of the puzzle of Mystery, the Deep Pool of Darkness. It would have completed the picture, opened a new portal for her to step through. She would have unlocked the Door for a lot of people.

She never did write that paper, nor return to Professor Dagarkin’s lecture. In fact, she was never seen to set foot on Main City University’s campus ever again. Neither was the Librarian. That very night, a new and exotic strain of micro-organism seeped through the cracks of the earth and found their way into his nasal cavity, from where they gained access to and quickly devoured his brain. It occurred silently, out of nowhere, in a single breath. His wife slept through the whole thing.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:48:13 pm by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A Life Devoted
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 04:59:14 pm »
so it goes.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:30:55 pm »
This was very interesting, and I won't lie, macabre as it was the end made me giggle  ;D

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »
I always giggle when a klyros dies  ;D

(sorry Seazu)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 04:48:42 pm »
But I like the klyros!  :'(

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 05:03:49 pm »
<_< Course you do, Fenki. Had one taste of 'em, now you can't get enough?
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »
* Mariana Xiechai hits Caraick upside the head with a nine iron. "Bad menki. NO!"

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 09:22:17 pm »
You denial only confirms it even more, Fenki.  :devil:
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 10:47:36 pm »
I'm lost. Mari ate a Klyros? I hear they taste like kikiri.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:31 am »
Rather a certain klyros assaulted me at the masque <.<

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 01:18:57 am »
i've heard too much already

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 03:51:00 am »
* weltall adds aramara to his black list

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 11:19:27 am »
I'm lost. Mari ate a Klyros? I hear they taste like kikiri.

They do. I would know.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 01:40:05 pm »
*Travosh carefully exits the area while simultaneously dressing up Weltall as a stand-in of himself.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 06:30:54 pm »
Part Two

It was just over three cycles before Unamorel met the man who wrote that pamphlet. After she had found it and quit her studies, it took her several weeks to find any information of the organization Dakkru’s Enlightened and Devout. Her first clue was a mark, a small engraving in the stone masonry of a municipal works building just off site of campus. It was the same as the logo printed at the bottom of the pamphlet, three spheres entangled in a trefoil knot., and she recognized it immediately. This let her know that they were in the area, and she kept her eyes open. Just three blocks down from the mark, she came across it again. This time it was painstakingly rendered out of cast billon bronze, down to the finest detail, each individual strand that made up the chord of the knot, hanging as a marker on a green-painted basement office door emblazoned with the acronym DEaD.

Three knocks later and she was being greeted by a young, short-bearded dwarf with thick glasses that magnified his eyes so large they completely filled the frames. He blinked at her a few times behind the lenses without inquiring her business. She coughed to break the awkward silence and held out the pamphlet for him to see. “Your symbol on the door matches the one on this pamphlet. I wanted to see if I could find some information on it,” she stated, with a slight lift of inflection tacked on subliminally at the end, to announce at her discomfort with speaking to the bug eyed dwarf.

He quickly snatched the pamphlet right out of her hand with grubby fingers, blinked at her twice, and slammed the door shut on her face, just as she lifted a finger to object to his treatment of her. “Well I never!” she harumphed and stamped her foot. What sort of place is this? How do they get away with treating people like that!?

She turned, and just as she was walking up the steps back to street level, she heard the door creak open again. She spun and was faced with a tall slender Dermorian woman, with long, straight, brown hair and wearing a lengthy black gown, with spindly silver embroidery thick at the cuffs and gradually fading up the sleeve like jeweled arangma webs spun along her arms. Her hands were held together in front of her but remained hidden within the baggy folds of the sleeves. “Hello,” she spoke up the steps to Unamorel, who promptly cleared her throat and replied.

“Yes, I found a pamphlet and...”

The sparkling Dermorian beamed and cut her off sharply, “Yes! You found a pamphlet! Do come in. Come in,” she turned aside and gestured with a smooth wave of her draped hand. As Unamorel walked past, the graceful elf added, “Please excuse Brother Aegrochk, he has taken a vow of silence, all the Brothers here at the abbey have, actually.” The Dermorian overtook Unamorel in a few swift steps and led her down the narrow hallway.

To her left and right Unamorel peeked into a series of identical workshops, each inhabited by a dwarf identical to the one who had greeted her at the door. They sat on high stools at workbenches and drafting tables, hunched over shining plates of metal, fastidiously engraving them with tiny, precise tools, a unique combination of glyphs brimming with arcane energies beside them.

“These are the Brothers Goia,” the Dermorian explained with a showy wave outward with her hands, as she briskly kept the pace down the long corridor, “They are all actually brothers, born of the same mother. They’ve dedicated themselves, their entire lives, to the art of printing. What you see them doing is painstakingly copying original manuscripts written by the masters of our order, etching them onto copper plates. A special ink is washed over the plates, fills the etched grooves, and then pressed into paper. Those glyphs you see? They actually create lenses, by dilating the rays of light that bounce off the manuscript and into their eyes so they can see every minute detail in the original. Oh, and the ink they use is made from Poison Carkarass blood. Oh! and not one of them can rise from this position until they kill their father, who developed this technique...” they reached the end of the hallway and a nondescript door, painted the same color as the walls, grey. She reached for the doorknob, winked an eye at Unamorel, and added, “And they don’t even know who he is.” She generally seemed excited about getting to share all of this information.

The door opened into a dark room, dimly lit by high windows along the ceiling which marked street level and several candelabras set on stacks of books and artifacts. The room was cramped by its occupancy of boxes and crates which filled the space. “This is my office,” the Dermorian said in a gleeful whisper, “come on in.”

Embedded in the center of the room was a hunky desk, which the lanky Dermorian had to climb over a few things to get behind. It looked like a routine she had become deftly familiar with, a lithe, noodle-like agility as she wriggled and squirmed to avoid precarious stacks, while steadily balancing on others. Her flight landed her into a chair, and she plomped her elbows onto the cleared portion of the desktop, grinning up at Unamorel where she stood, absolutely overjoyed to have someone to talk to even slightly interested in what she knew.

The girl’s name was Marscini, Unamorel found out, amongst a wide variety of other things. Marscini gobbled on and on about the Sect’s practice of ascension through murder, her recent ascension to the rank of Shade which landed her this position of assistant of the Kali of the temple above, and management over the printing department of the coven. “Oh, that’s just a title,” she boasted with her hands slipped smoothly behind her head, “those guys out there, they’re non stop, they live for what they do! They don’t need a manager. Mostly I do personal research for the Kali,” she gestured with her eyes the variable stacks of obscure texts and treasures, “and I get to learn all about this stuff!” She said it while biting her lower lip, an expression of lust, the motor of passion. Unamorel had never been passionate about anything in her life, but she read it on the Dermorian's face, and she felt a small flame ignite within.

“Here, this is what she’s got me looking at now.” Marscini reached for a book atop one of the many stacks on her desk. It was a tome of illustrations, detailed hand renderings of cadavers, corpses, skeletons, and variable parts of bodies exhumed from burial wells. “That’s a copy,” she said leaning over her desk to place the book in Unamorel’s hands.  “Brother Aegrock made the plates,” she informed her with a quiver.

Marscini became Unamorel’s first teacher, and her first kill. It did not take long for Unamorel to realize she had equaled the Dermorian, and what she lacked in eagerness she surpassed her in ruthlesness. She did it with joy and with menace. It came in a way Unamorel felt was pungently poignant and appropriate for Marscini. She brewed a tea, a specific blend of herbs who’s oils when mixed in the digestive tract, act like an embalming liquid, systematically shutting down her vital systems one by one. It took Marscini two weeks to die.