Author Topic: A Life Devoted  (Read 2740 times)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A Life Devoted
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 06:35:39 pm »
There, to appease all you vestigially winged salamanders, in a gesture of peace and solidarity, I killed a Demorian.

Felix Nova Annum!

(I apologize, it's been a decade since high school and my latin is rusty. There's a reason the language is dead.)
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 04:08:14 pm »
I still think you should be writing a novel, Aramara! Or at the very least, short stories for fanzines. I'll do the artwork if you ever want to collaborate.  :innocent:

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 05:23:34 pm »
I'd be honored Dannae. Writing something deemed publishable would be a dream come true, of course, but I feel like I still have much to learn. Right now I'm systematically studying every word ever uttered or written by Joseph Campbell. Looking back I can see the archetypes, tropes, and symbols he discusses in Ara's story, and even in Icerra's madness, but this series is my attempt to invoke those symbols intentionally.

I've tried my hand at writing at various points of my life, some short stories here or there, but mostly a whole lot of false starts, incomplete ideas that got half way to nowhere. It's roleplaying with you guys that's given me the courage and inspiration to create these characters and see their story through to completion. Roleplay has taught me the importance of narrative emergence through character development and conflict, so all my thanks goes to you guys.

* Aramara Meibi shuts her mouth before she says too much about the collaborative writing project she's taking part in and should be completed and revealed here on the forums Soon(tm).

oops.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 09:11:49 pm »
Part Three

Like silken veils, the curtain of steam flowed upwards, carried by the warmth of the porridge in the simple wooden bowl. Kali Cylysthe became lost in thought as she watched the flickering candlelight break into a gamut of soft pink, yellow, and blue hues as it passed through the array of microscopic prisms. Like all members of her faith, she had given up the things most precious, most vital to her as she grew closer to her Goddess. It was long ago she gave up the decadence of rich foods and fine wines, the flourish of color, aromatic herbs, oils, and incense, the sweet melodies of song. It was long ago she had shrugged off those vibrancies and donned the black veil of her faith. Not only her wardrobe, but the color had gone from her skin, her hair, her eyes, but it did not diminish her beauty. Like all members of her faith, death was becoming of her, it completed her.

"It completes us all."

"Hmm?" She lifted her eyes from the bowl to her dinner guest and then to the young altar girl who had just served them their bland meal. She bowed her head to the girl, still rosy cheeked with youth and fresh blood, and dismissed her solemnly.

"Death... It completes us all... you were just saying...."

"Oh... yes, yes... my apologies, I guess my mind just wandered off." She offered a reassuring smile and raised her spoon over her bowl. "To sustenance," she said amusedly.

"To sustenance," her guest repeated, unsure of the sarcastic humor written on her face, on her voice.

"Cylysthe... we've been friends and colleagues now for many years, and I'd be remiss if I were not to notice that something is troubling you. Now, tell me, what reason did I travel two levels to come see you for? Certainly it was not the porridge."

Cylysthe's thin wisp of a mouth curled into a smile, and a single sharp exhale through her nose was her laugh. She lowered her spoon into her bowl without having taken a bite. Kali Ahmad could read her like a book. He was a plump little Diaboli, with dark, chocolate skin and shortly cropped grey hair, and as elderly as she. They had grown in rank together over the course of their lives, and were as close as friends could be, but their positions as temple leaders had kept them separate over the years. Still, he was right in his observation, and Kali Cylysthe could not feel but relieved that she would not have to skirt the issue until the end of his visit.

"Yes... down to business, shall we? It's this new girl, Unamorel. Already she has achieved the status of Shade... Yet it seems... how should I say... premature?" The high priestess struggled with her thoughts momentarily as her peer lifted a brow and brought a loosely balled fist towards his mouth.

"You think she's moving too fast?"

"I think... she's gained so much, but she has yet to lose anything. Marscini, on the other hand, has lost everything. She's completely broken. That eagerness she had to feed on knowledge is gone, her vitality is gone. She's in prime condition to be groomed for Kali. Unamorel... I don't know what drives her. She guards herself, she keeps her passions hidden. Whatever it is that keeps her moving... I can't tell."

"I see... I can see how this troubles you... but... what exactly do you wish for me to do? Shall I have a talk with the girl? If she won't confide in you, what makes you think she'll confide in me?" Kali Ahmad smiled in his good humored way as he addressed himself, "I mean, what would a young girl tell a portly old devil such as I?"

His humor was returned with a hint of a smile, but Cylysthe's voice continued to grow somber, "It's not that Brother... I'm getting old... waking each morning grows increasingly difficult... each breath more and more laborious... I know my time with Dakkru draws near. I must use what life I have left to train Marscini in taking my place. There are no others here to guide Unamorel, and I lack what it will take. The Brothers Goia are too dedicated to their craft to take on a student, and besides, they've taken that blasted oath."

She lifted her eyes pleadingly to her guest, "But your temple... you've got plenty of acolytes who can take her under their wing, plenty with a spirit that can match and break hers." She reached a hand across the table to rest on his. He started to draw his hand back reflexively, out of many long years trained to resist such vital temptation, to smother the spark that existed naturally between them under doctrine and dedication, but stopped himself and suffered her touch. It's true, he thought, our time is short, Dakkru, let me have this one moment, and you may take my rest.

In a realm once removed, the Dark Goddess heard this prayer. The logic of the Goddes was seen by many as cold and calculating, as cruel, vengeful and without remorse, but in truth offered the greatest love and respite for those who suffer in life. In the realm of Yliakum, the Realm of the Living, a cold wind blew, and the flower of Kali Ahmad's doom began to unfurl.

"Of course... I will take the child back with me... she shall trouble you no more."

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:21:14 am by Aramara Meibi »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 06:01:21 pm »
Part 4

The queue for the lift was long and slow, filled with vacationers and pilgrims to the grand cities of the upper levels, merchants with their exotic wares crafted from the Nolthrir of the Great Sea and the Stonehammer clans of the deep labyrinthian mines. As the crystal neared its solstice and the days grew short, many migrated upwards towards the light, away from the ice and snow which blanketed the depths of Yliakum in winter.

Light flurries already were falling as Kali Ahmad and his newly acquired acolyte Unamorel inched their way forward along the crowded road. The High Priest repeatedly tried in vain to breach Unamorel in conversation, but the girl mostly remained tight lipped, her face set in grim determination. Determined for what?  the Diaboli wondered, but retained his jovial demeanor despite the falling snow and her cold shoulder.

"How long have you been away from home?" the Diaboli priest pressed on after a gutteral clear of his throat. Unamorel glanced at him and returned her gaze to the meandering line shifting its way towards the lift station.

"It's been two cycles." Her answer was short, succinct. The girl had learned not to offer too much, not to open up, but Kali Ahmad would need her to in order to find her breaking point. It would be a long process, sure, but one he had gone through with many acolytes before. In order for anyone to serve Dakkru to the fullest, they must be willing to let go and leave behind all that they care about, their loves, their passions, and become fully devoted only to the will of the Dark Goddess. Ahmad could tell Cylysthe was right about Unamorel; she was nowhere near that point of devotion. She had much to learn about the ways of Dakkru and could not possibly understand what such devotion would mean. She was being driven now by her own desires, and he needed to unearth those desires, expose them to the light, and crush them before her.

"Ah... it must be hard being away from your family like that. Your parents I'm sure care for you very much. They worry about you. Tell me about your parents Unamorel." He was past asking questions, and turned now to giving orders, cementing his position as her superior.

The demand was met with a sideways glare, held for a frigid moment, long enough to send a chill shivering along the High Priest's spine. Or was it the cold wind that got to me? the Diaboli wondered, and debuffed the chill with a shrug and a chuckle. It wasn't enough to melt her glacial wall, but enough to chip away at it, and the girl relented.

"They're alchemists both," she offered briefly and braced herself for the next swing of his ice pick.

"Ah alchemy, a fine art. I understand that is what you were studying before joining our ranks. It didn't suit you I presume? It must have been hard not living up to their expectations of you. But I can't blame you, I was something of a rebellious lad myself, although that's something that runs deep in Diaboli blood. How have your parents taken the news of you quitting your studies?"

The question held a keen edge, for the truth was Unamorel had not informed her parents of her recent life adjustment. Ahmad was aware of this, but he was testing for guilt, testing the strength of bond between daughter and parents. If there was a tie there, an entanglement of love, devotion, it would have to be severed along with the rest. He watched her countenance closely, for any betrayal of pain or regret, but her face was of stone, a cold marble.

"I haven't told them," she stated, "and I wish never to speak to them again."

Ah, revelation at last. Kali Ahmad smiled inwardly. Unamorel had meant for her answer to be a mask, but it betrayed something. The Diaboli had probed for love and affection but instead struck bitterness, anger, hate.

"Fair enough," was his reply, and relinquished his inquisition. He had something to work with now, a start, but he felt no need to press on at the moment. He had to establish some level of trust and comfort between them if he was going to break her thoroughly. Besides, life afforded him ample time to do so. He was a patient man, and the girl wasn't going anywhere soon. He'd wait until they'd reached the temple before the real work could begin. He let Unamorel simmer with her thoughts in silence as they trudged slowly through ice and snow towards the lift, as he himself planned for their sessions ahead.

.-.-.*:+:*[]|||[]*:+:*[]|||[]*:+:*.-.-.

The wind whipped and battered the passengers as the lift inched its way up the cliff face to the level above. It was crowded onboard, with cargo, trade goods, caged kikiri, and a variety of pack animals loaded in the center, leaving little room for the merchants and travelers to mill around the outer rim. The people were huddled together, bundled in large coats, maulbernaut and tefusang furs to distinguish between the well to do and the lower classes. Hired practitioners of the arcane Red Way magics made a circuit from group to group, casting their spells of warmth for the right price, a percentage of their earnings paid to the winch operators, who then greased the palms of the proper authorities and racketeers. And so the flow of tria paralleled the ascension of the lift.

Kali Ahmad and Unamorel had foregone the luxuries of warmth the other passengers were enjoying. Theirs was a self imposed poverty, as demanded by their faith. The wrapped themselves in their simple robes, their only protection from the cold. The other passengers had noted their strange behavior and odd topics of conversation and had subconsciously isolated the two away from the majority of the crowd, shifting away with fearful, hate-filled glances, hushing their own conversations anytime the two drew near. Unamorel returned the glares in spite, but Ahmad simply laughed them off, being used to the such treatment from a skittish and unenlightened public. He chuckled as he watched them cling timidly to life giving warmth, as he relaxed against the outer railing, embracing the chill and the empty space beyond.

"Someday they'll have to face the truth," he told Unamorel as they stood apart from the herd, "and when they do, the Goddess won't make it easy on them. They'd be much better off accepting the inevitable now, and dedicating their lives to Her service. Life is a gift given to us to prepare us for Death, and they squander it in the pursuit of wealth and luxury. But none of that lasts, all things succumb in the end. It's easier on the soul if it has nothing to lose. It's only knowledge and understanding that we take into Her realm, nothing else."

Unamorel shrunk into her robe, holding herself tight, teeth chattering like a swarm of clackers. She was miserable in the cold, and Ahmad could tell. He laughed lightheartedly at her, knowing full well that misery was a crucial step in letting go.

"Have you yet been to the Death Realm?" he asked, to be answered with a blue-lipped, shivering shake of her head.

"In due time then, my child. Dakkru will guide you there when you are ready."

In a timely fashion one could only attribute to the forces of coincidence or serendipity, a thunderous crack could be heard echoing down the cliff face just as Unamorel's frigid mind struggled to form a reply. It was followed by a low rumble, which grew in intensity to a cacophonous roar. A rain of ice and snow, followed by pebbles, stones, and rocks pelted the bronze top of the lift.

For time uncountable, the cliff face which defined the levels suffered from nature's constant weathering effects. Acids born aloft in rain and the droplets of clouds ate away at the rock face, creating minute fissures in which water and moisture collected. In the winter months, as the temperatures fell, the water in these fissures froze and expanded, acting as a wedge and turning fissures into cracks, cracks into clefts, and clefts into crevices. In this current ice storm, the effect reached its climax, the columns along the cliff face grew unstable, tumbled, and fell.

"Avalanche!" came the cry of one of the operators over the howling wind and booming noise, "Everyone quick into the-" but his order was too late, cut off as a boulder the size of a well fed consumer came ripping through the bronze canopy, crashing through the stacked goods and plowing a hole straight through the planked wooden floor. The entire lift lurched and swayed, goods and passengers alike tumbled over the railings and through the newly formed hole. Screams of absolute terror sounded throughout the void. A sharp, twanging snap could be heard as the guide wires broke under the sudden strain, weakened by the icy cold.

And then silence, the briefest moment of calm as the lift hung suspended in quantum flux and zero momentum as gravity took its deadly hold. Before she could grasp what was happening, Unamorel felt the floor fall out from beneath her feet. Instinctively she grabbed for the railing, her bare, ungloved skin freezing instantaneously to the metal surface upon contact. The pull of the falling platform jerked her arm out of its socket, ripped the flesh from her palm, and she was drifting up and away from the wreckage, her lithe body caught in an updraft.

She tumbled helplessly through the air, not aware of her own terrified screams. For the past few months since finding that pamphlet, she had blindly let fate guide her, determined to see the end of her path, but at this moment her path was clear. Her end was rushing straight up to meet her, with no chance of deviation in her course. A certain peace passed over her as she reached terminal velocity, but it lasted only a few seconds before her body landed with an unceremonious thud on the frozen, ice covered earth.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:05:21 pm by Aramara Meibi »

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 12:56:31 pm »
I must say Aramara, I love your ability to illustrate your story so well with words. I always get such an interesting picture in my head when I read your writing. Lovely entry, as always.  \\o//

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »
thanks mari  :love: painting pictures is what i do.

now if only i could write with the same sustained fury you do.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 12:48:47 pm »
Part 5

The official records show that 63 individuals perished in the avalanche. Of that number, only one is recorded never to have returned from the Death Realm. The mangled body of Kali Ahmad was the only one found amongst the twisted wreckage, after the sudden blizzard had cleared and a salvage mission could begin. His temple was informed, and the body dumped in the nearest burial well without pageantry or ceremony. He had no family, no kin to bequeath his belongings. In fact, he had no belongings to bequeath. He simply left nothing behind but his cold, corporeal remains.

..._-**<*<[:-:]-[:-:]-[:-:]>*>**-_...

Unamorel rose to her feet in darkness. She was now to be considered a full initiate in her Sect. She had now killed and been killed; she was now both deliverer and delivered. But she took no consolation in this. Unlike her time spent learning Dakkru's ways in the Living Realm, here in the Land of the Dead she found herself alone, without a guide.

She stumbled blindly forward, for there was no light here. She could feel a firmness beneath her feet, a slight movement of air like baby's breath crawl over her skin, faint whispers of languished spirits caressed her hearing, a cold damp mist filled her lungs, but her eyes were rendered useless in this environ.

With no landmarks for her to gauge direction or distance, she wandered aimlessly through the dark desert. The timid whispers progressed into full blown voices in her head, the restless dead lamenting over their lives. The dead carry with them only their story, which they tell endlessly throughout the eternal din. They carry with them lament or exaltation, depending on their own self image at the time of death. Images too, appeared to Unamorel, but they did not come from without, but were the products of her own mind.  If she had read through that book of pineal glands, she would have understood why. The lives of the dead, their memories began to mix with her own until she could no longer distinguish between them.

Without the cycle of the crystal, without fatigue, hunger or thirst, she had no concept of the passage of time, had no idea how long she had trekked until she noticed the barest semblance of change. The ground she had been walking on had seemed to be formed from compact layers of a fine powder, but now began to lose stability. Her feet sunk deeper and deeper with each step until she realized that the ground was growing saturated, with what sort of liquid she was less than anxious to find out.

On the verge of turning about and finding a different, drier path, something caught her eye. The thought that anything could catch her eye was an astonishment to her, enough for her to yelp with joy, as she had been lost in pitch for so long. She clasped her hands over her mouth, the sound of her own voice coming as a shock for having gone for so long without speaking. After a moment of trepidation and heavy breathing, she felt brave enough to test her voice again, and called out to the small speck of red light, a dim lantern hung in the distance.

"Hello! Is anyone there?"

There was no reply, not even an echo, for there were no walls, no geological features for her voice to reverberate off of, nothing but a vast, flat expanse. Frustration over the lack of response quickly overcame her longing for company. She turned away from the far off candle, but stopped. Out the corner of her eye she perceived the tiniest of motions, a wavering. Looking back, peering deep into the gloom she confirmed, the light was approaching, growing brighter, growing near.

As she watched with breath held and heart pulsing rhythmically in her chest in anticipation, Unamorel noticed something peculiar about the light. It moved with a swaying rhythm of its own, one familiar to her from her time spent on Land's End, near the shores of the Great Sea. As the light drew closer she confirmed, it was a lantern hung from a pole, attached to the stern of a small boat. She could see the light reflecting off ripples  as it glided across the water's surface. She realized then she was standing on the shore of a vast body of water which stretched into the endless gloom.

There was a figure on the boat, a driver who was pushing along by driving a pole into the murk. At first Unamorel thought it was just the light from the lantern reflecting in their eyes, but as the boat steadily drew closer and details were revealed, she could see more clearly, the eyes of the driver were flames in empty sockets. Bony paws from under ragged robes clutched the pole which drove the boat through the water. She could hear a dry cackling emit from the bent and hooded figure. She couldn't be sure, but she even thought she heard a name amongst the cackling, a hissing whisper. Was it her own?

Fear had her turn from the water's edge but as she did she was faced with a blinding light, as a wave of energy surged around her. A shriek came now from behind her, from the figure on the boat. She turned in time to see the horrid creature vanish in a prismatic burst of color. Now, senseless and numb, she fell and sat shaking as water lapped around her feet. She heard damp footsteps as a figure approached from behind, the source of the flash. They carried with them a Crystal Way staff which emitted a cold white light which blinded her as she turned to look upon them, so that all she could make of them was the bottom of their robes and black leather boots. A voice, decidedly male, cursed.

"Damn. She got away."

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:30 pm »
Part 6

Jamnin lowered his Crystal Way staff to the fine dust which covered the Abysmal Plain, the vast flat stretches that formed the lowest levels of the Death Realm. He knew, from his own research, that this dust was in fact composed of detritus, the smallest remnants of decayed organic matter which fell from the upper levels in an attenuated rain, which he himself had termed Abysmal Snow. Currently he was following a set of tracks, meandering randomly through the drift, a lost soul. He was on the hunt, but not for the creature he was now following. But, he knew the tracks would lead him to his quarry, for he was indeed tracking the prey of his prey.

He heard a distant shouting and knew he must be drawing close. The texture of the ground began to change, becoming more of a damp mud than dry dust. Must be a cold seep nearby, he thought to himself, and if this lost soul is shouting, then SHE must be nearby too. He quickened his pace, he wouldn't let her get away from him this time. Holding his wand before him, he could dimly see the outline of the figure he had been tracking standing at the water's edge, and beyond that a red light, Her lantern, it HAS to be her. Tatewari.

As her light drew nearer so did he. He felt his window of opportunity draw tight, felt the lich reaching out for its victim. Jamnin lifted his staff high and let forth a powerful burst of light energies, just as the lone figure on the beach-head turned to run. There was a chilling shriek as the lich vanished in a prismatic burst of color. Jamnin slowed his pace to a stop as he approached the now fallen figure on the shore, decidedly female and trembling. The small craft with red lantern, now without passenger, came to rest at the tepid water's edge.

"Damn. She got away."

The crumpled figure at his feet shook, and Jamnin now looked down upon her. She was young, but it was easy to see the Death Realm had had its effects on her. Kneeling down next to her, he gently lifted her chin towards him, "Let me get a good look at you." Her eyes and cheeks were deeply sunken, her pale, almost translucent skin drawn tight around her skull. Her hair was thin and wispy. "Can you stand?" he asked, placing his hand beneath the pit of her arm.

She rose without too much struggle, her eyes were as wide as the Great Sea, her lips quivered as she tried to speak but only stammered out some barely audible, unintelligible syllables. As she stood, Jamnin was able to get a good look at the threadbare rags which adorned her, and he noticed the trefoil crest of his very own guild embroidered on the breast of the grey robes. "You are Dakkru's Devout? Your name, can you remember it?"

"My... my name?" Her voice was raspy, dry.

He shook his head, "No... I wonder how long you've been in this realm... it must have been some time, but don't you worry, I too am of Dakkru's order... Brother Jamnin is my name... come with me, there's a temple and an exit nearby, we'll see if we can't get you out of here and back into a more lively realm."

"J...Jamnin..."

"Yes, that's right, come now."

Although she was able to stand, she was weak, feeble, and he put his arm around her for support as they began their trek to Dakkru's temple. Her body had been diminished to a mere skeleton. He could feel her bones through the thin threads of her tattered cloak, through her taught skin.

As they skirted the edge of the waters, he began to point out features only visible in the light emitted by his Crystal Way staff. The two came upon a rocky outcropping, topped by what seemed a tangled, bushy growth. Long, thin, spiraled forms twisted amongst each other in a snarl. "Watch up there," he pointed out and dimmed the light from his staff, "quiet... be still as possible."

The emaciated girl's eyes grew wide as from the ends of the spiraled forms emerged what seemed to be blood red blossoms. Large, feathery plumes slowly appeared and unfurled, swaying slightly in the stagnant air.

"They look as plants, don't they?" he asked and could feel her nod in wonder. "Ah... but they are not... plants are incapable of growing here in the Death Realm, for there is no source of natural light, such as the Azure Sun. No, these are indeed a very strange type of worm, unlike anything found in Yliakum. What appear to be stalks are actually shells, and what appear to be flowers are indeed their mouths... they feed on the tiny particles of decayed matter which drift throughout the atmosphere here. Fascinating, don't you think?"

He looked down on her to gauge her response, and she met his glance if only briefly. Her eyes drifted downwards, her lips pursed, she looked as if she were puzzled over something, a thought that remained submerged in her forgotten memory, struggling hard to surface.

"Relax. Don't worry about it too much... studying the life forms of the Death Realm... well let's just say it's my life devotion. I get excited about it. Come now, let's get going and get you home."

He took a few steps forward but the girl remained. He turned and lifted his staff, illuminating her in its cool glow. Her waif body stood draped loosely in her ragged robes, her ratty and disheveled hair falling in tangles over her face, wide sandy eyes flickering back and forth, Jamnin could not help but feel a burning ignite within, a passion and longing to hold this nameless girl. But, as his Goddess demanded, he quickly snuffed the fire of passion out, turned his focus and devotion back to Her service.

"No... stop... wait," her raspy, unsteady voice pleaded.

"What is it?" he asked, his voice controlled, low, and smooth.

A quivering, gracile hand reached into the inner folds of her tattered robes, paused before withdrawing a simple parchment. She beheld it, her eyes scanning its lines rapidly over and over before she croaked out, "Jamnin..." and held the parchment out to him.

Curious, he respectfully reached out to take it. The ink remained fresh and dark, regardless of its age. He knew well, in fact, of how old it was, for he was the one who wrote it. It was one of his earliest publications, commissioned as a recruiting pamphlet back when he was of rank Ferryman. He smiled reminiscently as he perused the title, Cryptozoology: Living Creatures of the Death Realm. There was a lift in his heart, which he had just struggled to harden and smother, and he was barely able to whisper, "I'm thinking now our meeting wasn't such a chance encounter miss..."

"Unamorel... my name is Unamorel."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:02:42 pm by Aramara Meibi »

Mogweh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 08:55:31 am »
I'm really enjoying this.

Thanks

oh and well done killing off a Klyros, that is never wrong.
Mogweh has left the building...

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:29 am »
Beautiful, your writing is. Write a book, you should. Much fame and fortune you would gain.
*Yoda nods and wiggles his pointed green ears, tapping the floor with his little wooden staff.
No, but seriously, write a story. (Like a novel.) I know I'd buy it!

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27:03 pm »
* Aramara Meibi walks with uncertain steps into the lobby of the local publishing house. "Yes I have an appointment with.." she timidly speaks to the secretary at the front desk, "Yes miss Aramara he's expecting you. His office is on the fifth floor, just take the elevator on your left." She nods, and walks passed the elevator and opts for the stairs. She's trying to keep her figure and well, elevators are just a waste of energy and human potential, really. Yes, they were a marvel invention back in the early 1900's which, along with innovations in steel production, allowed for the building of skyscrapers, the definition of wealth and prowess in a modern and postmodern world. But, her morals get the best of her, and she suffers the five flights of stairs easily, without the burden of a heavy heart.

She finds his office easily; it is framed by large glass doors with acid etched lettering "The Local Publishing House, LLC. Editor in Chief" and overlooks Poydras Street, which, at this time of day is clogged with traffic, both motor and pedestrian.

He motions for her to sit and she obliges, tucking her tail around her waist as she sinks into the large leather upholstered chair across from him. "What can I do you for, miss Aramara?"

"Yes, I would like a 30k advance on a novel."

"Hmm, do you have a manuscript?"

She hands him over a large stack of papers. They are all blank save the first page, which has on it typed in sans serif font five simple words, "There once was a frog."

"Hmm, promising, but what guarantee do you have that this will be a success? 30k is quite an investment you know."

"Well..." she begins, "Mariana says she'll buy a copy."

He laughs with a booming voice and stands, leaning across his large desk to shake her hand. She follows suite, but a little less sure. "I've heard all I need to hear!" He presses a button on his desk and buzzes the front desk secretary, "Teshia, you wench, bring me my checkbook, and two cubans, heck, make it three and a bottle of MacCutheon. We have a book deal to celebrate!"

:P

Just..uhhh.. keep reading, and keep playing, that'll keep me happy.

I'm glad you enjoy it.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012, 03:19:28 pm »
Teshia, you wench, bring me my checkbook, and two cubans, heck, make it three and a bottle of MacCutheon.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
(She's going to kill you in your sleep you know.  :P)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »
Part 7

The fires on the hearth were slowly dying. As the warmth it provided to the temple receded, Sister Ramah Maringuin felt the chill twilight air through her thin grey robes. The days were lengthening and growing warmer now with the coming of Spring. Her day had been spent cultivating the temple garden, planting seeds and sprouts in the newly thawed soil. The morning glories were blossoming early this year, and she now had a basket of harvested flowers which she would dry and boil down into a tea. The entheogenic properties of the flower would allow her to open her mind in prayer and contact the spirit world. Receiving and interpreting the divine messages of dreams was her duty as Inguma of the temple.

She spread the gathered blue petals over the stones of the hearth and reached for a nearby brass poker to stir the flames and give them new life. It was a effortless action, without the requirement of deep study in Red Way, to simply add chaos to the system. As the chemical reaction of combustion consumed the entropic energy locked in the chemical bonds of organic compounds in the wood, light and heat were released, leaving behind inert ashes. But as she stirred the coals, mixing in fresh oxygen and fuel into the system, the flames rekindled and grew, flicking their orange tongues into the increasing dark.

She, of course, could not be completely aware of this process. She had no knowledge of the Red Way, but she had studied the Brown Way, and knew intimately the energies of life contained even in wood considered dead. Her soul harmonized with the spirits of the wood, internally she bowed in reverence to their sacrifice they willingly gave to warm her body, cook her food, provide light and life, their ashes would fertilize her gardens and be born again. Life itself was combustion, death the chain which kept the reaction going. This much she knew.

The harvested blossoms were now drying on the hearth when Ramah heard a familiar sound emanating from the resurrection chapel. Grabbing a nearby torch she rushed through past Dakkru's shrine and altar, into the adjoining antechamber where those returning from the Death Realm appeared. There she was surprised to find two figures, not unusual, but far less common than the singular traveler. They were garbed in the grey robes of her order, one held the other cradled in their arms. "Welcome back to the land of the living," she said, the common greeting for such occasions.

"Quick, Sister Ramah, she needs attention." She recognized the voice as the Kali of this temple, Brother Jamnin. In the flickering firelight of her torch, Ramah could barely make out the figure in Brother Jamnin's arms. A lithe girl, comparative to herself in age, yet, the very image of death. Her hair was a tangled nest of matted dust and snarls, her robes threadbare tatters, her skin was a pallor grey, stretched tightly over bones, as if all flesh and muscle had faded away. Even in the brief moments that Jamnis stood there holding her, Ramah watched in astonished terror as she aged rapidly before her very eyes. Dakkru was extracting her toll.

"By the Gods... how long was she down there?" she asked as she stepped forward to help Jamnis with the burden of carrying her.

"I can't say for sure... She says her name is Unamorel, which, if I recall was the name of the girl Kali Ahmad was sent for when Dakkru called him home."

"But... that was over three cycles ago! How'd you ever find her?"

"Interestingly enough, " he explained as they carried her down the hall to a dormitory room, "I cam upon her as I was tracking down Tatewari, the witch had her in her sights... I nearly had her this time Ramah... I nearly did."

They placed the gaunt girl on the bed, although, by this time she bore the marks of a woman approaching her middle ages. "I've only heard of this effect before... never seen it in action," she mused.

"It's the price we pay... any length of time spent in the Death Realm drains you of your life..."

Ramah looked upon her High Priest as he tended over Unamorel. He himself seemed drained; she knew it was the effects of traversing the Death Realm. She never spent much time in the Death Realm, her role was to serve the the Lady in the Dark in the Realm of the Living, providing guidance and clairvoyance to those suffering. But, she knew the Kali had spent much of his time with his research in Dakkru's Realm, his latest subject of study was the ancient witch Tatewari, who had made her home there, kidnapping young souls lost in its depths and performing arcane rites upon them. He had been tasked with her capture and removal.
She wondered how his time devoted to his study had aged him. Even this latest foray had lasted twenty turns of the crystal. It was then Ramah realized she had actually counted the days since his departure. She felt an affection for him, as any must admire those who perform well in their duties, something she had not yet learned to subdue. He was visually older than her by more than several cycles; she was Nolthrir and aged at a slower rate than Ylians, but now she had to wonder at his true age.

Ramah's eyes were on Jamnin, but his were on Unamorel. "She's going to need to eat when she recovers. Go see what food there is in the kitchen, Sister, something light, easy to stomach. Bring us a pitcher of water as well," he said without lifting his eyes from the waif. Ramah bowed her head and submitted to his order, quitting the dormitory and making her way to the mess hall. On her way she passed the hearth and remembered what she was doing before the Kali's arrival. Rushing over, she found the blossoms, the fruit of her labor, charred from the heat of the stone. It was a loss she would have to accept.

-:[*.*.\\<-:->//.*.*]:-:[*.*.\\<-:->//.*.*]:-:[*.*.\\<-:->//.*.*]:-

Ramah studied her face in the looking glass. It was as if her own reflection were looking back at her, judging her. She ran slender fingers along the lines and creases that were now forming around her eyes, age was beginning to show from beneath her Nolthrir grace. Was it the cycles spent away from her natural aquatic environment which had produced these stress marks? Gods, it has been ages since I've even thought of home.

She splashed her face with cool water, again and again to hydrate her skin. The weather had been particularly mild during the spring months, without the seasonal rains which typically came to the Barn. The dry spell continued through the sweltering months of Summer, a full on drought had settled in, which meant long days tending to her garden in the dry heat.

After dabbing her face dry with a handcloth, Ramah straightened and looked at herself again in the mirror, giving her reflected image a reassuring nod, reminding herself that it was struggle and hardship which dignified a person. She took the bucket of water out of the washroom  to the garden, the summer squashes and melons, the late summer herbs, she thought, could use a cool drink amidst this heat wave.

On her way out she passed through the dormitory and the room in which rested Unamorel. The Ylian had slipped into a comatose state upon her arrival and had remained that way up until only a few days ago. She now was suffering a condition of delirium, awake, but aware of something other than her actual surroundings.

The door was ajar, and Ramah slowed her step to peek a look within, not surprised to find Jamnin at her bedside. The Kali had taken a personal interest in her recovery, overseeing every step of her care. Ramah had never seen him so devoted to such a single purpose; he even went so far as to neglect his search for the elusive Tatewari. The whole situation left Ramah with an uneasy feeling, a tightening in her chest, for many conflicting if not mutually exclusive reasons.

Just as she turned to continue down the hall, he called to her, "Sister Ramah? Is that you? Please come in, I want you to hear this."

Her heart simultaneously jumped into her throat and sank into her stomach, and she was left ephemerally paralyzed. Standing motionless, awkwardly holding the bucket of water, a million plus one thoughts coursed through her mind before she was able to choke out, "Yes... Kali... it is I." She set the bucket down outside the door and entered, head bowed, eyes lowered.

Ramah expected to find Unamorel in her typical unhinged state, babbling incoherently, but instead she was sitting upright, calm, lucid, if only slightly unnerved. Her eyes were set wide in her still dark and sunken sockets; they flickered rapidly back and forth as they looked upwards at her. Ramah could feel her tracing the lines on her face and in a subconscious response she touched her fingers lightly to her face, following the ridge of her cheekbone.

"You must be Ramah... Jamnin was just speaking about you..."

Ramah turned quickly to Jamnin in forced denial of Unamorel's full presence. "She's awake?" she asked the obvious, still unable to accept it as reality.

Jamnin looked up at her from where he sat, an inquisitive yet amused smirk worn on his face, "Yes Sister... as you can see, she is awake, alert. Please... just introduce yourself."

Ramah blushed, a flush of blue overcoming her cheeks, her hand now covering half her face as she looked back fully upon Unamorel, "Oh, yes... I am Ramah... Unamorel, I already know... well, you know... I'm glad to see you're awake."

Unamorel met her with a blank, wide-eyed stare, no pleasant smile, nothing to indicate she even heard. Synchronously they both turned towards Jamnin, trying to gauge the appropriate response, which left him chuckling nervously at the sudden palpable awkwardness left suspended in the room.

Jamnin coughed into his fist and cleared his throat, "Uhumm..hmm.. Unamorel, would you excuse us please..." He stood and motioned back towards the door. Ramah gave him a questioning look but stepped back out into the hall and he followed.

"Brother I don't understand, I..."

He cut her off, "Unamorel has just told me something, something she remembers of her time in the Death Realm, her encounter with Tatewari... maybe it will take some time for her to trust you now... I want you to take her as your disciple, teach her everything you know of our ways, our rituals and prayers. I'm counting on you Ramah, to be her guide now while I'm gone."

Her chest tightened as Ramah realised where this little speech was headed. "Gone? but..."

Again he interjected, his poise confident and unfaltering unlike hers, "It's important that I go now, and act on theis information. It could mean the very success of my mission and Ramah..." he stopped to give her a smile which weakened her knees, "then I will be back, for good. Until then, the temple is in your hands."
"You don't mean..."

"Yes, I want you to do the honors."

He took her by the hand and led her down the hall, through the antechamber and into the altar. There, on a garnished silver platter, he took up the ceremonial dagger, cast in black bronze with delicate filigree and placed it in her trembling hands.

Her emotions conflicted with her sense of duty as Jamnin knelt before the altar, lifting his chin to expose his neck to her. Her heart wrenched as it always did when he announced his trips into the Death Realm, but never had he allowed anyone to send him there. Ramah swallowed her tears and gathered herself straight, hardening her heart in a cold sense of devotion. She placed the dagger to his throat and whispered, "May Dakkru take your soul."

When she entered back into Unamorel's room, her hands were still stained red with his blood. Her new acolyte was standing in front of a bodylength mirror, running her gracile hands over the smooth fabric of a new gown Jamnin had laid out for her. The silver haired Ylian turned to face the Nolthrir, not reacting to the sight of blood but meeting her eyes and smiling, "Now... where do we begin?"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:49:52 pm by Aramara Meibi »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 11:47:43 pm »
Part 8

The fires were glowing red on the horizon, across the great savannah that broadly stretched between the foothills of the Eastern Mountains and the burning remains of their homes. Gathered in circles around small campfires of their own, the scattered remnants of the Enkidukai people watched as their homeworld burned. The end loomed over their heads, reflected in their eyes. Little was spoken during their arduous trek towards the mountains, where one last remaining hope held firm. The dying words of a great prophet foretold of a new home. It was all the Enkidukai had left.

Amongst them, in the outer circles of the Akkaio Clan, a fenki shaman named Tatewari was frantically keeping herself occupied foraging the hills for herbs. Through the low brush she foraged, systematically testing various leaves for a tingling on her tongue, a certain resonance in her mind. Most of the flora in these parts were unknown to her, but she was determined. While most of her people could only think of the homes and lives they were leaving behind, the hope and fear which came with the promise of a new home, Tatewari was obsessed with unlocking the secret behind that prophecy. Wherever the prophecy would take the Enkidukai, her people would need new guides, new seers to lead them. The secrets of the Great Prophet Gharruk had died along with him.

When she had gathered more bundles than she could carry, she returned to her camp. Her clan was small, comprised of a few families. She and her brother were all that remained of her own. Most lay on blankets around the dwindling campfire, tossing in their fitful sleep. Small cubs clung to their mothers, crying into the glowing night, not being able to comprehend what was happening. None of them could, really. Who could fathom a race of demons descending on a fireball from the sky and burning everything that you knew, that you held dear, your whole world? Who could fathom an entire civilization clinging desperately to one Menki's vision of salvation?

Alone in her quest, she set about grinding her gathered herbs, preparing them to be boiled down over the fire. She knew that it was certain combinations of plant parts that would unlock her mind, open up channels of communication to the greater spirits. This stem may be inert when consumed alone, but when paired with this root, or this bark, or this flower, the mind of the shaman would be prepared for the divine message. Her visions had always been small, a coming rain, a successful hunt, the cause of a sickness, but nothing on the scale of Gharruk.

To her great sorrow, her dreams that night were empty. She failed again to unlock the mystery, and the key to her failure was still unknown. Was she missing a key ingredient? Did she not prepare the components correctly? Were her prayers imprecise? Was she praying to the wrong spirits?

She awoke to her brother shaking her by the shoulder, "Tatewari, come on, we need to go. Everyone is moving, come on!"

In the distance the sound of firebombs was growing closer; the enemy was drawing near. The camp had been dismantled; the fire had been smothered.

"Come on!" he pulled her to her feet, dragging her behind him as they ran to catch up with the rest of the refugees. "The Elders say they've found something deep in the mountains! The Staff of Gharruk lead them there. Hurry, everyone's going!"

He pulled her along hurriedly until they caught up to their clan. The Enkidukai people scattered amongst the hills merged into a narrow trail that wound and snaked into the mountains. They trekked along perilous cliff faces, into treacherous ravines, having to abandon their pack animals behind them, unburden their loads until all they had left were the clothes on their backs and whatever small bundles they could carry. The way was harsh and the weak, sick, and the elderly had to be left behind as well. "We'll come back for you," empty promises were made that no one believed to be true.

When they crested the final ridge, the Enkidukai could not believe their collective eyes. There before them, embedded deep into a valley nested by the surrounding peaks, sat a heavenly portal the likes of which had never been seen before on this world. It was oval in shape, and glowed the color of the stars. It's edges radiated golden light; it's interior was an impenetrable surface of coruscating refulgence. It hummed with pure arcane energies, too powerful to comprehend.

The staff of Gharruk began to resonate in harmony with the gate, and the Elders urged the Enkidukai forward. There was, of course, great hesitation amongst the people, but the sky overhead grew clouded with smoke, which reflected the fires from below with an ominous red glow. The choice was made clear, either inevitable destruction, or possible salvation.

Tatewari was amongst the last to enter the portal. As she neared the magical gate, a voice like shadow and steel emanated from its shimmering surface. A cold, dark whisper called to her, "I know what you seek child. I am the truth. I am your guide. Follow my voice. Follow me and all will be revealed."

The call was overwhelming, and Tatewari was taken in by the voice. Her brother entered the portal before her, but it was not he who she followed. She obeyed the voice, and so, when the rest of the Enkidukai people first emerged in the world of Yliakum in the damp darkness of the Labyrinths, Tatewari emerged in a plane once removed, a realm where light has never shown.

[]:=:[]///\/^\/\\\[]:=:[]///\/^\/\\\[]:=:[]///\/^\/\\\[]:=:[]

Ramah finished steeping the brew. With a copper ladle she portioned it out into two wooden cups. She took one for herself and offered the other to Unamorel. Together they sat near the hearth as a thunderstorm raged outside the temple. It had been too long since they had last heard from Brother Jamnin, too long since they had received a message from the Ancestors or their Goddess. Other Thanatos of other sects may prefer offering a sacrifice, bleeding or starving themselves, or depriving themselves of sleep in order to receive the divine message, but this is the way Ramah was taught, a holdout from a much older tradition, and this was the way she had trained Unamorel.

Upon drinking the brew, the two of them began to chant a prayer in unison, letting the mantra clear their minds and open a channel for their spirit to leave the body. Unamorel had yet to be accustomed to the morning glory tea and began to wretch, her vomit mixing into the ashes of the fire. Ramah tried to help the novice, but was soon joining her, for the brew had this effect on even the most experienced.

When their stomachs emptied and the heaving stopped, the two collapsed onto the marble floor and fell into a deep sleep. Their bodies remained motionless but their spirits slipped beyond the physical plane and journeyed through the infinite spiraling web of creation.

Outside the storm continued, the rain falling in torrential sheets, but gradually slowed to a light trickle. Lightning flashed within the bank of clouds, rolling down from the edges of the dome, across the fields of the Barn and towards the depths of the lower levels. As the thunder grew distant, the two priestesses began to stir and wake. A pitcher of cool water had been prepared for them and set nearby by one of the lower acolytes of the temple during their dreaming. They shared the water, drinking from the pitcher thirstily before Unamorel asked, "What was your dream Sister?"

"It was the same. I dreamt again of Tatewari, the great fires of Phon'larr'jit, the Dying Times, and the Exodus. She was like us Sister. A dreamer too. She was called to the Death Realm through the portal...

"Which is what I don't understand. Why have the ancestors asked Brother Jamnin to remove her from the realm if she is a servant of Dakkru?"

"We cannot fully comprehend the Goddess, Sister. We can only serve her. It is not for us to question, not for us to understand."

"Yes, Sister. Yes, I understand."

"And what did you dream, Unamorel?"

"My dream was madness. It was full of fire, and death. But from the fire a painted fenki child emerged, and behind her a shadow. I don't know how to make sense of it. Perhaps it is Tatewari, but the message is not clear. There was no guidance, no task to be done."

"I see. I shall take these visions and pray on them. Perhaps, Sister, not all has been revealed to you yet. You are merely being prepared to know what to do when the time comes. I will send a note with one of the Ferrymen to Brother Jamnin about what we have seen. He will know what to do."

As they lifted themselves from the floor near the hearth, a chime sounded from the altar room.

"Someone has returned." Ramah conferred to Unamorel, "Go Sister, I'll let you handle this one. I will be in my study if you need me."
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:00:38 am by Aramara Meibi »