Author Topic: Bjornsted  (Read 462 times)

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
Bjornsted
« on: May 02, 2012, 08:26:59 am »
[This post will serve as a codex, introducing you to terms and giving you some background information on the story that will proceed in the posts to follow. In the story that follows, which may take some time to read, you will encounter info regarding characters that you may meet in the game. This is all OOC info for the enjoyment and pleasure of those that read it. As such, do not act on information you do not have, unless you are strictly told it in game. Divination does not count, nor will in any way will I aknowledge you have it if I know I or someone who does know it has not given it to you. Thank you.]

*Within this first post you will find a simple introduction of sorts, rather than actual writing. Paornen and Raoult's background is simply that; a kicker to introduce you to the story. As you read through the chapters, should they become too long to read for you or simply uninteresting, feel free to leave feedback. I am a pliable and willing player, your thoughts are appreciated.*

Forward: Throughout my years playing PlaneShift, the game has changed considerably. From running around finding crystals to roleplaying world take overs or the fall of Vigesimi, the game has also changed me. I find myself not asmuch in a competition, as I once was - dueling, roleplaying, or engaging- to become the best. Instead, I find myself humbled by the lore and diversity present in this game, the quality of the players, and the dedication of the development team and player-base.
For these characters, the Bjornsted family, I have spent some time building them in my head and on paper, for I wish them to be developed further than I could dream. So they start small, this backstory being their only decided trait-giver, and as the years in PS go by, they will develop further, as real as I can make them. This being said, bear with me as I write; I am not an author, I am no muse. I have never posted a log nor hide or hair of a character for myself, instead contented to let them fade into the history of Yliakum, but, for now, enjoy the tale of what makes them what they are.

Contents
Introduction, Forward, Family Tree - Post 1
Chapter 1: Dalroth parts 1-3 first page.
Chapter 2: Imari
Chapter 3: Paornen
Chapter 4: Unbroken, they remain.
Chapter 5: Aedrich
Chapter 6: Paor
Chapter 7: Insolence
Chapter 8: Wulfar
and more!

Introduction:
The name Bjornsted is old, tracing back through 7 generations of the family that it is generated from. It began from a stocky clamod Menki by the name of Bjorn, a hunter and farmer in the plains near Ojaveda. He raised a sizeable family, 3 daughters and 5 sons, 2 of which adopted his name, Bjorn. Ojavedans soon began referring to the noted farmer's sons, daughters, and property as "Bjorn's stead." Soon, Bjorn's oldest son, Bjorn the Younger, inherited his father's hard-fought property, and adopted the name for his family. These particular Enki were not famous for anything, instead blazing in their father and grandfather's footsteps as Ojavedan farmers. This line, and trade, continued for 5 of the 7 generations, until Dalroth Bjornsted, son of Bjorn IV, son of Bjorn III, son of Bjorn II, son of Bjorn the Younger, son of Bjorn, was born. As such, I will present to you the family tree, so you may better understand.

Bjorn The Elder
                                                                             |
                                                                             |
                                                 Bjorn the Younger -- Fretha Dermond
                                                                             |
                                                                             |
                                                          3 Generations of Bjornsteds
                                                             |                              |
                                                             |                              |
                                  Dalroth Bjornsted -- Imari Tursid      Raoult Bjornsted -- Paornen Turivatha
                                  |                                                                              |
                                  |                                                                              |
                  Wulfar and Aedrich Bjornsted                                 Paor Bjornsted

And so, our story shall soon begin - but I will humour you with one more short piece.

Raoult and Paornen, a short background:
Raoult Bjornsted, brother of Dalroth, was a well-spoken Enkidukai, not one to pander or insult. However, due in part to inheriting half of the now-sizeable Bjornsted farm and fortune, he had a weakness for dice, and cards. At the tender age of 12 cycles he began to gamble - first in pieces, a few tria a week, and then in a provential flood, pterosaur, crops, and land falling to greed and in time, desperation. Soon he owed a sizeable debt to not only the friends he once played with, but the Vigesimi as well. At this point, he was 25 cycles, and posessed no more than the clothes on his back and several deeds for his arrest.
It soon fell upon Raoult to travel to Gugrontid, making his way around the outskirts of Hydlaa and the authorities, and finding solace in the city of stone. There he met Paornen, a well-to do fenki, and in a few cycles marries her, without telling her of his debt. Born to them was a pretty little clamod kit, whom they named Paor, after her mother. Soon enough, Raoult's debt began to catch up with him, and many men, both Ojavedan and Hydlaa citizens alike, came to collect, payed by the corrupted political leaders to fill their coffers with the indebted Enki's tria. Raoult survived a few cycles more, through sheer force of will and cleverness, but when Paornen fell to an assassin's blade, it was too much for him. He turned himself in, the Octarchy sentencing him to death for outstanding, unpayable debt, and crimes against servants of the Octarch. Paornen's girl is sent to her Uncle's in Ojaveda, Dalroth, who still lives on the family land. There, for many cycles, she is raised as a sister to the twins born a few cycles earlier, Wulfar and Aedrich.

But our story shall begin with Dalroth, as his is a longer, more desperate tale in and of itself.

*Warning: There will be content in this story that is not suitable for an immature audience. Due to the nature of this forum, I will keep it toned down as much as I can, but in this story truth must be told, and those of a weak constitution or who are easily agitated may not be apt to read.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:40:34 pm by Cairn »
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
Re: Bjornsted
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:28:08 am »
Chapter 1, part 1: Dalroth

Chapter 1: Dalroth

Light streamed in, a cascade of colors awash in the brilliance of the Azure sun, and motes of dust crept in with it. The motes danced and twirled, although the air itself was almost completely still, hot, humid and life-sucking. The light hit Dalroth’s closed eyes, and he awoke, eyelids fluttering a few times, then opening. He took a few brief moments to admire the small specks of dirt, iridescent light gleaming in the imperfections of the dust mote’s compact form. But this moment did not last long, and quickly the Enkidukai rose from his tousled bed, with a grace natural to his species. Dalroth ran a finger through his hand as he stretched; the muscles and tendons in his body popping and stretching with his swift, concise movements. 

He was a tall menki, almost unnaturally so. Most his compatriots save his brother Raoult stood several handsbreaths shorter than him, and he liked it that way. His body was etched with years of hard labor, the farm his father had deigned to give him as his birthright wearing and tearing at the proud menki. 49 cycles of the Azure sun had passed since his mother had brought him into this world, a wet, mewling Clamod kit. Time had not been kind to Dalroth, and though he was well-muscled, this selfsame muscle belied his aching joints, screaming bones, and mottled fur, sun-stained and matted. The menki’s body criss-crossed with silvery scars, wicked, jagged lines that spited any healer to fix them, for they ran deeper than they appeared, with a vengeance that mocked the pride in the menki’s eyes. His eyes were an unsettling grey, with his pupils almost entirely white from the sun and age, giving these eyes a stark contrast to his inky fur. In this fur lay years of fumes, from smoke, liqueur, and the stench of fear. His ears were sharp, still, and although cut and ragged could still hear what his wife would mutter behind his back, and the screams of the boys. The clamod was true to his kin, his fur a black, long coat, although spotted throughout with silver and white, some from age, some from stress, some from gods knows what. His tail was similar, with a white band meandering around it and ending at the tip. The clothes he wore were simple, for his wife had made them. He trusted no one else to clothe him, and her hands were gently when he let her touch him. Animal skin was his choice of clothing, hides of tefusang cured, dried, and pounded until they were suitable for use. After this, his wife would form and sew them into simple shirts and vests for Dalroth, complete with twine to give the jerkins a way to close. His pants were even simpler, ragged, unformed rat skins beaten and cured, then tied around his waist with a strip of their cousin’s flesh.  His bare paws were hard and calloused, with the claws on both feet and paws almost ground to nubs from the hard earth he chose to work on for a living.

When Dalroth was finished stretching, he let out a low cooing noise, an aura of satisfaction crossing his black muzzle. The noise was high, but not unpleasant, and sounded like a bird song cut short. A voice from the room next door
answered in reply, feminine and soft; Dalroth’s wife. 

“You’re awake, Da? Come to your chair, the boys have caught some roltok for you.”

Dalroth grunted in reply, the noise rumbling on the low clay walls and roof of his house. The dried dirt was cracked, both inside and out, but it had served as the Bjornsted house for decades, and as far as Dalroth was concerned, would continue to do so for a while longer.

The big menki moved, slowly, to the next room over, ducking his head to get through the low-hanging clay archway that separated the simple rooms. His eyes blinked as they adjusted to the light that streamed through the windows in that room, simple squares carved out of the clay and fitted with a wood frame and some crystalline, thin substance in between the frame. The light was much stronger than that in his room, and after a few seconds, Dalroth was able to remove the hand he had placed in front of his eyes, and gather his surroundings. He looked around; the first to come to view was his wife.

She was a demure creature, was the fenki. Her eyes were big and blue, and possessed an innocence that Dalroth had lusted after, when he first met her. Before the cycles had caught up with her, she had been a real beauty, he thought; graceful, felinious, and with a body to kill for. Men had, as it were. Instead, the cycles began wreaking the natural order of things upon the woman. Her blikau fur was damp from sweat, and while she bustled about the house in her simple cloth dress, it was evident that what natural grace she had was wasted upon her sons and husband. Her ears were pierced on the outward-facing bottoms near the top of her skull, two hoops of pure gold in the right, and one in the left. These, Dalroth figured, were more valuable than the house they lived in. Her tail, once a long, sweeping figure of pride, had been cut near the tip, leaving it shorter than it ought to be. Instead, the spots were faded and there it swished – balancing, but no longer enticing.  She maintained her figure well, at least, the lean Enkian statute remaining true of her. Despite her demurest look, there was an air of toughness about her, from the way she walked – head up, shoulders spread, and a sly keen to her eyes- , to the way she talked; gentle, gruff, yet with a commanding tone. Dalroth himself had trouble with her sometimes, when she saw fit to argue with the much larger Menki. But he knew how the arguments would always end.

“I feel no hunger. Send Aedrich to help me to my chair, and bring me some of the stored ale, from Brado.” Dalroth grunted out, as he moved slowly to his chair. His wife watched hesitantly, and she let out a loud call as his eyes narrowed upon her.

“Aedrich! Fetch Da some ale. Third barrel on the bottom of the pantry! Then come, and quick, he needs help to his chair.” She swore to herself, and moved testily away from the menki as he drew nearer to her, the fire, and a large wicker chair that sat by it.

The chair was a monstrosity in size, fitted so that it could accommodate Dalroth’s stature. Formed from a dried wood, four pillar-like legs jutted from a slightly downwardly-curved seat, which was coated with animal hides of rats, ulbernauts, and trepors alike. The hides were rotting, although cured well and pounded to form a tough, lasting seat. Yellow spots tinted the hides as well, and in some places holes were wearing through. Two imposing arm rests were formed from the arms of an ulbernaut, the points only somewhat filed away so that only the truly horribly unwitting would impale themselves, if flung hard enough. They were a pale ivory, glinting dully in the firelight as it flickered. It was here that Dalroth directed his attention, the pile of animal skins and the warmth of the fire looking cozier and cozier as the seconds ticked away.

The fire was stoked high, fueled in part by the tremendous amount of wood in it, and by the occasional touch from the Red Way that Dalroth’s wife fed into it when it stooped lower. It was hot outside, enough to be sweltering for a normal man, let alone an Enki with its thick fur. But Dalroth would not allow it to fall, not even during the night, and he hadn’t for the past 7 years or so. An unnatural chill had come into his bones and try as he might, he could not get rid of it. The big menki looked at the fire for a second, admiring its intensity. It was built into the side of his house, reinforced clay and brick mortared together to create a giant pit dug slightly into the ground, which on ¾ was surrounded by brick, then domed upwards over the 5-foot high and 6-foot wide opening into a chimney that laced into the roof and outwards. On cloudless, windless days, a pillar of smoke could be observed from Ojaveda coming from the Bjornsted household, if one were to look.

“Aedrich. I hear you, you bastard. Run faster with those little feet and perhaps I shall spare you today.” Dalroth whipped out, and the words hissed from his teeth in a mixture of exasperation, and perhaps pain. His words caused his wife to start, and it seemed as if she shrunk it to herself, fear lacing her brow as she edged far enough away from the big menki to make a break for it. Dignifiedly, yet with fear, she walked quickly to the door on the side of the big clay house, opening it. She looked back at Dalroth, simple fear still evident on her face, and closed the door softly. The big Menki cursed under his breath while he watched her leave, and then stiffly leaned up against the wall, resting his tremendous weight on the cracked clay.

Soon enough a young clamod head poked around a doorway to Dalroth’s right, not far from the one his wife had just exited. This door in particular led to the pantry and root cellar, a large underground room that Dalroth’s great grandfather had hollowed out for use. In this cellar was kept many of the Bjornsted possessions, and for Dalroth, that was mainly liqueur. Other items that his wife and children kept in the cellar were herbs, seasonings, and some dried meats should the winters be harsh. Useless things, in the old Menki’s opinion, but he would allow them these things anyways.  Dalroth’s favorite liqueur had been brought up, an ale that Brado had tended to him in exchange for some crops, mainly barley, to ferment his ale with. It was a fair exchange, he had said, and both menki were accepting of it. The young menki edged closer, body unwavering in its fearlessness, but eyes betraying the emotion deep in the young one’s psyche.

He was a young menki, was the clamod closing towards his father, and named Aedrich. Only 14 cycles and already he was taking after Dalroth; he was a hand and a half taller than his twin brother, Wulfar. His father had pride, what little he could summon left to him, in that fact. He stood already as tall as his mother, if not perhaps taller, and had the build his father did. Dalroth reasoned he would be bigger than him, and perhaps then he could be put to use around the farm better than he was, ensuring his father rested in complete comfort. Aedrich’s eyes were an unhinging grey as his fathers were, but the pupil was unstained by sunshine or hardship, and was a deep, deep black. His muscles bulged at the leather his mother had made for him, much of the labor left on the farm falling to his sturdy back. His claws were abnormally long, the tips edging out of their curved sockets, even when sheathed, and had a habit of ripping at things they ought not to. His head was narrow and predatory and his eyes were hooded and hawk-like in their watching of situations around him. These eyes were now focused on his father, as if debating whether to bring the bigger menki his drink, or perhaps run for good.

“Aedrich! One more –second- and I may choose to end you, today!” Dalroth snapped out, pushing off the wall and moving at a quicker pace towards the young menki. Aedrich nodded, defeat making its way insidiously into his posture. He scampered forwards, head down and eyes bowed away from his own father. When he proffered the drink to Dalroth, the old Menki leaned down with a seemingly soft smile and reached his left hand out to tilt the younger clamod’s face up
towards his own. He locked his eyes onto his son’s, and with a soft, almost indiscernible whisper, murmured;

“Pray to the Gods you never disappoint me again, Aedrich. Even then, they may not save you from your blackened soul.”

And with this, he whipped the back of his rough hand across the younger menki’s face viciously, the tips of his claws raking into the fur and skin of the boy. 

Aedrich let out a soft whimper as he was hit, stumbling and releasing the drink he held, which Dalroth grasped as it fell. The blow knocked Aedrich backwards, and he fell to the side, the whimper the only sound he dared make. He did not even take time to examine his face, scrabbling to his feet, his claws leaving soft imprints in the mud and clay that served as the floor. Dalroth watched as the young boy struggled to stand, and let out a hoarse laugh.

“Help me to my chair. Quicker than you brought ale.” Dalroth snorted out, extending his paw to the young boy and hoisting him up with swift, merciless heave. Aedrich obliged quickly, wrapping his left arm around Dalroth, body trembling with fear but his eyes retaining the same, jaded look of nothingness. The two lumbered heavily towards the imposing chair, and when Dalroth reached it, he slumped his body with abandonment into its embrace, shoving his son away with a push as he did so. Aedrich stumbled and nearly fell once more, but knowing what would come next if he was too close to the unpredictable Enki lent strength and speed to his paws. Aedrich, shamelessly and propelled by memories, sprinted towards the door his mother had exited.

As the young enki fled, he felt a sharp, burning pain on his back. A line of silver seared into his vision as his eyes closed, and he felt what seemed like a tongue of fire rake his back.  Black and white dots filed his vision and he crumpled to the ground, writhing in agony. Dalroth let out a soft, slow laugh, revealing the dagger he'd had in his sleeve, ready to lash out at the boy. Its handle was a charred bone, and the blade was wickedly sharp steel, a blood groove tracing through the middle. It was long, too, as long as some skinning knives yet not quite a short sword. The blade had a slight curve to it, and was polished until Aedrich could see the blood from his back in its reflection.

Aedrich's eyes opened once, and the vision of Dalroth sitting in his chair as he wiped the blood from his blade and then put it in the fire was too much for him. By the time he felt the blade sear the wound on his back closed, he began slipping, thankfully, into a restless oblivion.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:15:25 am by Cairn »

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 06:01:10 pm »
Chapter 1: Dalroth, pt. two

Two days passed since Dalroth had seen Aedrich. Neither hide nor hair of his own son was present around the house after he'd slashed him the last time, and in all fairness, Dalroth did not care. He had no use for the boy other than grunt work. Most of these days he had spent sitting in his chair warming his cold bones, or sleeping until the sunlight woke him, like clockwork. His wife had also stayed far, and had taken Paor with her, leaving the only meaningful interaction for Dalroth with his son Wulfar. Wulfar was diligent, thought Dalroth, but did not talk much. A noble quality to the big menki, and despite his distaste for his children in general, Wulfar intrigued him in a twisted way.

On the 2nd day, Dalroth again found himself in his chair, mid-afternoon creeping into evening with no sign of Aedrich or his wife. He knew they were close by, they dared not leave him. Vicious would be his revenge, and swift if they dared even speak of the horrors he wrought upon them. His eyes soon began to flicker closed, and while the firelight darted back and forth, causing crazed shadows to dance in the evening dwimmerlight cast upon his wall, dreams crept into his decrepit mind, insidious thoughts etching out crevices in his pockmarked psyche. They began as soon as his eyelids were fully shut, and they were the same as every time. More reality than dream, every time he slept brought back flashes from his past, vivid, and real.

And so it began!; Dalroth, much younger, and with less strain from the cycles of hard toil, walked through Hydlaa. He appeared to be pressing on 30 cycles, the prime of life still upon him. He was wicked looking, white alabaster henna tattoos dyed deep into his fur. These tattoos coiled up his arms and across his bare back, depicting harsh scenes. The first lay on his back, and showed the emblem of a circle, through which was pitted a diamond half in and half out. Coiled around his left arm extending from the circle were two serpents, bodies twisting around each other and finally the head of the first biting into the neck of the second. On his right arm was a veritable flurry of patterns, tribal and nomadic shapes from ancient Enki lifestyles almost biting and ripping in visual intensity at each other. Both ears were pierced, with Cabachon ruby studs glittering fiercely against the warm shine of the Azure Sun. He painted an imposing picture physically, his long black fur lusciously falling from his massive, musclebound body. His legs were long and his footpads were huge, easily the size of some of the heads of his own species. Hung against Dalroth's side was only a single dagger, sheathed in the cured hide of an ulbernaut. Metal studs fastened a clip over the dagger's ash-black bone handle, and on occasion while he walked, Dalroth's hands would stray to his right and stroak, with a sense of morbid satisfaction, the handle of his dagger. In this time, Dalroth did not care for covering his torso, allowing his tattoos and body to be seen by any and all. Only his legs were covered, with simple, free-flowing and somewhat baggy pants made from animal hairs woven tightly together. All in all, Dalroth posed a near-barbaric sight, but the cold and calculating gleam on his predatory face bespoke of a sinister intelligence.

This day, he hunted for a Dermorian man. The man went by the name of Uthran, and, Dalroth thought, perhaps would not be so easy to find. Uthran belonged to a house of particular wealth in Hydlaa, for he worked as a servant for the Tursid household in the capacity of a merchant, although Dalroth knew this to be a facade for his actual purposes. The Tursids were a banking clan that had risen from Ojaveda, and then expanded their sights to Hydlaa because of the greater wealth that lay there. They owned a well-to do house in Eastern Hydlaa, some two stories high with 9 or more rooms. At least, that is what Dalroth's contact had told him. The large menki was wary - the Tursids were reputed to have dipped their paws in a host of other activities that perhaps ranged more on the less legal side of banking, and more on the side of strong arming businesses. If this were the truth, he would have his hands full with something other than poorly-trained security too afraid to face a giant. Uthran had been caught by Dalroth in Ojaveda working to strong-arm the Mikana trading clan, and had only escaped by the skin of his teeth, Dalroth's dagger a bit too slow to end the Dermorian's life that day. It was a mistake that would not happen again, and hopefully, Dalroth ascertained, may earn him some money in the long run.

Soon enough, the massive Clamod found himself near the Tursid property. The day was a mild one, small puffs of wind occasionally ruffling the fur on his scalp. He stopped a fair distance from the house itself, slipping to lean against the side of an empty house out of eye and earshot of his target. He had not seen any citizens with Tursid colors on them on his walk, but he did not judge that as any sign of safety. If Uthran was smart, as Dalroth figured him to be, he would have already told his household of the vengeful menki he crossed paths with. Dalroth leaned heavily against the wall, letting out slow, even breaths. His hands drifted a pocket that was sewn cleverly into the inside of his pants, making a cleverly hidden pouch for small objects should one choose to put them there. Eventually his sifting fingers found what they wished for; a small black stone, rife with enchantment runes. Dalroth traced his fingers over it carefully, murmuring something with the undertones of his voice. The black rock shone with a dull glow for a few ticks of the clock, then faded back into obscurity in Dalroth's hidden pocket.

The menki took a few moments to scan the empty street to his side, and then surveyed the buildings and rooftops nearby as well. No one seemed to be there, the occupants either occupied with their days or too dulled by the warmth of the crystalline sun to notice him or care for his purposes. Dalroth grinned at this, a look of simple pleasure crossing his features. Soon afterwards, he looked around the corner, spotting the street which led to the Tursid manor. He pulled a simple leather jerkin over his torso, hiding most of the tattoos and features of his body, and this made him look a bit less conspicuous; that is, as inconspicuous as a clamod of tremendous size looks in a diverse town like Hydlaa. He sauntered out across the street to the other side, then sticking enough to the shadows to hide his clear-cut features but not enough to give away his intent, he began to saunter down the street. His walk was a jaunty one, imbued with a swagger that implied that he was someone of repute, possibly. If one were to spot him, they may assume he was a high-ranking Enkian servant of one of the local families, or perhaps an Ojavedan merchant coming to peddle his wares door-to-door. Only the dull shine of the ashen dagger and his tremendous size would give away anything else. Dalroth made it a fair way down the street, and coming to the intersection the led to the Tursid's house, he paused to take a soft breath and a look at the massive house that was his goal.

The house stood solidly above the cobblestone pavement, rising like a simple bastion towards the dotted Hydlaa sky. The bottom level was made from a high quality timber, cured with some treatment to make it weather storms, age, and warp. It was shaped like a rectangle, boxy and square in form, but supported by broad wooden pillars that raised from far below the ground to the tip top of the second level. The design of the house was simple, solid, and imposing in its dominance of the other houses around it.  In the bottom level were two doors on the front, both wood as well, but the frames forged from a metal substance that Dalroth did not recognize. Bars of the metal slashed downwards through the door also, forming lines dotted across the cured wood that it supported. The doors were large, large enough to fit two of the menki easily going both directions. The handles were a curvature large enough for two hands, with a lock and latch in the middle that was activated by one's index finger while he rested his thumb and palm on the handle. Between these doors was nothing; no windows, peepholes, or any other way of entrance could be seen by the naked eye. Each door was spaced about 20 feet away from the nearest corner of the house, with about 200 feet in between the, Dalroth estimated. The second floor had a terrace running around it, a good 20 feet above the ground. The terrace was also wood, with beams rising in an angle from the first level to support the underside of it. A sturdy iron railing framed the terrace's outside, tall enough for a common Ylian to lean heavily on, but not so tall as to prevent a view from over the top. Twisted iron bars supported the smooth iron top of of the railing, which was seared to to the twisted bars by an advanced Red Way user. The bars are bolted into the wood, surging deep into the timber. The terrace was luscious and spacious, roomy enough to fit entire tables and chairs, or large parties of people on it. It wrapped around the entire house, but the only way to get onto it was via two doors on either side of the house that Dalroth could see, at least. These doors were of similar construction to the ones on the ground floor, but the terrace allowed light to stream in via intricately carved stain-glass style lattices. These windows were large, large enough that Dalroth could walk through them with ease, he estimated, were the apertures open instead of covered. Six of these windows were upper sides of the house, two on the elongated sides each, and then one on the shorter sides. The roof of the house had a sharp slant to it, with tiles of timber and tar protecting it from inclement weather. The roof had a large overhang to it, allowing it to shade the terrace and allow any water to drip onto the cobbles of Hydlaa instead of the fancy terrace that it protected.

Dalroth took this all in in a few seconds time, his eyes shifting over each detail and memorizing them. He had a knack for memory; if he closed his eyes he could easily see each of the things he had looked as if it were right in front of him again. After he had taken the time to plot out a plan, he moved towards the Tursid house with the same jaunty walk that he had employed earlier - that of a well-to-do menki - but this time, he strayed much further into the shadows of the neighboring houses, masking his features. He hunched slightly as well, in an attempt to give off confusion about his size and possibly make him appear smaller than he actually was. The journey was long, Dalroth making sure that any possible posted sentries would only glance at him once, and if they did, ascertain nothing of importance from him. He knew he would not be able to approach the house in total secrecy, unless the Gods were smiling at him without care for any others.

Finally, Dalroth reached a portion of area where there was no more cover. All of the other houses in Hydlaa were far enough away from the Tursid house that it left an open square of cobblestone which spread at least 50 feet across before reaching the doorway of the house. The Azure Sun was bright on this area, and there was no foliage or cover he could use to hide himself. The menki shrugged, and stepped out into the open, adopting a large, somewhat vacant smile on his face. After a few minutes, an enkidukai clad in chainmail that hung loosely from his shoulders walked stiffly from the house towards him, closing the door behind him. His chainmail was covered in part by a tunic that bore the clors of House Tursid, bright royal purple emblazoned with a blood-red Enkian claw. Dalroth smirked to himself at the absence of any other individuals to come greet him, then moved his eyes to the enki's hands, which carried a wicked looking pike. No matter, thought Dalroth, it's still just but one.

The enki stepped in close to Dalroth, squinting his eyes in the bright sunlight to identify the giant clamod.

"State your name, Enki." the guard spoke, tersely, his eyes leveling on the clamod's grinning face.

"Diffmun, sir. I bring your master Uthran's shipment." with his words, Dalroth thumbed in a general direction. "I put it over there. . ." he trailed off, and watched the guard for a reaction.

"I know of no shipment," the guard answered, and his eyes shifted with uncertainty towards the direction Dalroth had indicated. Upon seeing nothing, the guard leveled his pike slowly at the clamod, "Wait a minute. Uthran told me someone would be asking for him. . .Show me your shipment, so I can report back to him." The guard intoned, his pike steady at the larger Menki's throat. Dalroth shrugged nonchalantly in return, and turned, slowly, his hands raising in a non-threatening way.

"Over here, then." Dalroth told the guard, and stepped slowly towards one of the emptier-looking houses. He crossed the open cobble square with slow certainty, ensuring his posture and tone were not upsetting. Soon, the chain-clad guard had followed him into a deeper shadow near one of the corners of the house, almost out of eyesight of the Tursid manor. A few more steps, thought Dalroth, but the guard stopped there, a disgusted look crossing his face.

"You didn't bring anything. Uthran warned us abou-" the enki accused Dalroth, but his words are stopped quite short as the large clamod's open palm slams into his unguarded throat with brute force. The guard gurgled and dropped his pike, hands clutching at his throat. Before his hands even reached them, Dalroth's other hand slammed into the right temple of the guard, right below where his helmet covered. The guard reacted as planned, coughing blood and spinning to the ground, dazed and hardly able to breathe. Without a cease in his movement, Dalroth drew his dagger and slammed it into the guard's chest near his heart, and twisted with gut-wrenching force. The dagger bit deep into the guard, slicing past his chain mail as if it was not there. Skin shredded by the twist, large pools of blood began churning from the wound and rivulets of blood cae down the guards chin, along with mucus. Satisfied, Dalroth stood and watched the guard, enjoying the sharp, quick spasms of death end the hapless enki where he lay. Dalroth stooped when the spasms ended, disdainfully wiping his dagger across the cheek of the guard, leaving a smeer of blood. He finished y wiping his blade on the guard's tunic, leaving it shiny and clean once again. Dalroth eyed the pike, and with a swift kick sent it shimmying across coble to lodge itself in a tuft of grass.

Dalroth resumed walking to the house, this time with more purpose. Uthran had indeed told his servants of the fearsome Clamod, so he could not get inside without a struggle. Strangely, though, no more guards or servants met him as he approached the doors. Instead of knocking, calling, or even tugging at the door, Dalroth's claws came out, and he jumped to the wide foor frame, latching deep into the wood. After he spent a few seconds to gain his balance, the menki bunched his taut muscles underneath him, and leapt at one of the support beams for the terrace. Dalroth's claws scrabbled at the treated wood, and his arms wrapped around the wide beam, almost not long enough to provide support for him. His lengs dangled in open space; if one of the Tursids were to venture out of the door they could easily look up and swing a sword at the near-hapless menki. After a few moments of wild scrabbling, Dalroth finally found some leverage, and clenched his chest muscles, swinging his legs up to grasp the beam as well. This put him in a angled position, dangling precariously from the beam. He knew that he did not have much time in this position or he would be a dead Enki. So he fought hard, claws digging deep furrows into the wood as he shimmied up the beam. Soon, he was able to swing, slowly and carefully, a paw from the beam onto the edge of the terrace, some 20 feet above the ground. The door opened beneath him, but Dalroth did not have time to examine or care who or what came out of it. He heard the soft gasp of a female from beneath as he wrenched himself onto the terrace and swung gracefully over the iron railing.

Dalroth only took but a few seconds to regain his composure, swiftly moving towards one of the doors and relying instead on his memory to inform him of his surroundings. He heard muffled shouts, but upon reaching the door wrenched it open without resistance, a look of surprise and perverse pleasure reaching his face. He barged into the room that it opened onto, which was spacious and wide, occupied by two middle-sized beds, covered with fancy cloth and laced coverlets. No one was in the room, but he could hear paws pounding at the stairs nearby, and he scanned the room quickly, looking for something to use either as cover or weaponry. He gauged the strength of the bedposts, and stooped to grasp at the closest one. With a powerful twist and heave, Dalroth splintered the post from its berth on the cured-wood floor of the room, and tested its weight by slapping it against his other palm roughly. A satisfied look crossed his face, and as the pounding drew closer he scanned the room once again.

The walls of the room were a light hue of pink, almost white. The ceiling had the same style as the floor, slats of wood intertwining to create a solid base. Adorning the middle of the ceiling was a small candelabra on a hanger, which held 5 candles; four on the outside and a larger one in the middle. All of the candles appeared well used, wax having melted and re-formed in drips around the sides. On the walls of the room were artist's renditions of famous people, some caricatured, and others almost taking on a lifelike semblance. Dalroth could pick out the Octarch, his face stony and regal clothed in fine attire on one, and an elven musician famed in Hydlaa for his soppy ballads, a signature dashed quickly and haphazardly across the bottom of another. The two beds were scooted close together but not touching, and both had soft imprints, the one closer to the menki having an adult-sized print, and the further one looking to be more the size of a kit. Dalroth quickly put his hand to the closer one, feeling a very slight emanation of warmth; someone had recently been in the room. This meant they had evacuated it around the time he had finished killing the guard. They knew he would be there.

Dalroth had no more time to think, the pounding stopping as Uthran and anothe guard rushed into the room, the wooden door that opened into the hallway they came from slamming with a crash against the faint-hued walls. Dalroth took time to hoist the wooden leg he held in his hand properly, and ran towards the two. He was caught in midair and suspended before he could reach them, strong wafts of air emanating from Uthran as a glyph held in the man's hand became visible to the menki. Dalroth cursed to himself silently, he had not picked out the magic rune before instigating his attack. His muscles worked with huge amounts of strength to fight the coursing, churning wind that helpd him tight, but to no avail. Uthran's magics were too strong, and while held, the guard that had entered walked slowly to the large clamod's side. He, too, held a pike, and the last thing Dalroth saw before a sheet of blackness crosses his vision was the butt of the heftily-shafted spear descending on his head.

In his dream, as the shaft descended on his head, the 'real' Dalroth shivered and shook in his chair, a frown crossing his face in parting. Soon enough though, he relaxed, and his dream recommenced, feeling surreal and yet vividly alive.

When he awoke, head throbbing with the dull 'thud. . .thud . . . thud . . . " of his blood pounding at his skull, Dalroth found himself chained to a chair, in the statesroom of the Tursid house. His tail switched back and forth, the only appendage allowed movement by the restricting iron links that bound him. The room he was in was both long and wide, and Dalroth estimated took up much of the lower floor. In the middle directly in front of the chained menki was a grand table, an immense rectangular slab of stone supported by roughly hewn slabs of stone lined up underneath. At least a hundred chairs surrounded it, 49 to a side and one at each end, and each chair was well-made from a similiar timber to that of the house itself. Each one had a plush cushion on it, and an emblem of Tursid draped across upraised back. Dalroth's chair was not so adorned, instead, it was a stone slab placed on an old stump and bolted to it tightly, the back four iron bars crossed on top by another roughly hewn plank of wood. The effect of the chair was discomforting, and whenever Dalroth saught respite to lean his head back, the hard grain of the wood would splinter onto his neck, little slivers of wood worming their way into his flesh.

Dalroth looked up after a few minutes of awareness, and saw large, crystalline candelabras dangling from two midpoints in the ceiling. hundreds of candles adorned them, every one of them lit and flickering against their crystal backdrop. The effect created a multitude of dancing lights on the otherwise barren and foreboding stateroom walls, as they were unlit by any other device. Occasionally one of the candle's lights would hit a crystal facet just right, and make a small dancing rainbow for a few moments. The rainbows, although rare, caused Dalroth a rare opportunity to smile, and he did so, despite the chains holding him tight.

Soon, however, footsteps echoed in the grand hallway and a door opened to Dalroth's right, revealing Uthran, this time with no guards. The dermorian was a pallid, sickly looking man, but there was obvious power about him, some sort of aura that sent shivers through most men when they met him. The Tursid family had hired him for this effect, and he was their most infamous 'collector'. He walked as if sliding towards Dalroth, his stately black robe billowing around him. He stopped short of the menki, his eyes icily appraising the defenseless Dalroth.

"So, you have come for me." Uthran stated, simply.

As the imaginary words echo in the imaginary halls of Dalroth's head, the menki twists and turns in his chair, old joints creaking with the effort. Sweat breaks out on his brow.

Dalroth snarls at the magician's words, and does not reply. As swift as the snarl escapes his lips, his head is whipped back into the cruel wood, smashing with a resounding, unforgiving thud into the rough plank. The wind that whipped him there holds him steady, and the magician approaches again, this time drawing a small quill from his pouch. As he nears Dalroth, there is pure malice in his glare.

"You -cut- me, menki!" the magician says, a smirk coming up on his face, but never reaching his eyes. "For that, you will die a thousand deaths, /but/! Dakkru will not accept you." As the magician finished, a milky film came over his eyes. There was no reason or rhythm to the movements, but Uthran's arm lashed out, the quill burying itself deep into the muzzle flesh of Dalroth. The first time, the pain was excruciating to the Menki, a deep raw red gash on his nose that drip-drip-drips blood onto the floor, splashing around Uthran's feet in a dizzying dance. The second, and third time were equally painful, and the quill struck deeper and deeper as it went faster and faster, small gobs of flesh spinning to the floor to splash into the blood, which is soon joined by a river of tears and more of the precious red liquid. As time went and the magician's hand flashed back and forth, Dalroth's face became unrecognizable from blood and wounds, not only his nose, but portions of his ears, face, and jaw missing ripped flesh from the seemingly innocent quill's biting teeth. The quill itself was covered in the menki's blood, a dark red staining the feathery portion and splatters of the liquid covering Uthran's face. Still, the panting magician did not seem finished. He threw the quill to the side in mild disgust, watching the blood stream in in drops and rivulets from the torn face of the menki. He tried to stifle a smile at the sight, but could not.

"Oh, how I have waited for someone for this. You may survive; you are a rare specimen after all." the magician said, as his eyes wafted over Dalroth's almost unrecognizable face to his body.

Not only was Uthran renowned for uncompromising cruelty, but for inventiveness in it. The magician had come to the Tursids jobless, because in a fit of rage he had killed his last employer - an unlucky Kran who had skimped on a payment. Uthran had cast a strange spell, and had watched as parts were chipped away from the stone man's body, the Kra unable to defend itself in any way. The Tursids had payed a quiet sum of money to Hydlaa's Vigesimi, and the Kran's family had watched the magician step away from a chopping block to become a free man again. Something had snapped in this man, whether he had been born somehow wrong or the pitiless wiles of the world had etched away his soul could not be known, but what Uthran did to the Tursid prisoners was stuff of legend. One man had owed a debt to the Patriarch of the Tursid family, around 20,000 tria or so. When he could not pay, Uthran himself had gone to 'collect'. The man left his house the next morning a gibbering idiot, with fear left as his only emotion.

So when Uthran had spoken to Dalroth, the menki did not doubt it. Perhaps, he thought, seconds before a cold grip enveloped his insides, I have gone too far this time. Perhaps, I should not have come for money. And this is where the menki's thoughts faded, the whirling caucophony of pain and noise inside his head overwhelming what meager and paltry feelings he had left.

The sleeping menki's eyes are ripped open for a moment, but not in waking - instead in sheer terror. Soon enough though, they close again.

Dalroth awoke for a second time in the house of Tursid, but it was not to pain nor chains. Instead, a shuffling sound was heard and the chains that had bound his arms dropped to the floor. He blinked his eyes, and with no sign of memory of the event that had happened, begin to rise. It was a few moments before he noticed the pretty fenki beside him who was in the process of sawing the locks that bound his ankles with a small file. Pain, sheer, unadulterated pain rushed to his head and every joint in his body, causing him to crumble. The fenki let out a sharp breath as Dalroth's massive body slumped to the floor, but with determination in her eyes she snapped one link and in quick succession the one on the other leg followed. She stowed her knife quickly in the bodice of her sky-blue dress, which matched her gorgeous blue eyes.

"I wish you'd have killed him." the fenki spoke softly to the prone body of Dalroth, and moved to his side to examine it. Inky black, unnatural scars marred the male Enkidukai's face, and shreds of skin hung from open, throbbing wounds. One particular cut was so deep that the fenki could see the thin yellow layer of fat flapping under the skin before it led to the deep red of muscle tissue, then finally a small glimpse of pale white cheekbone. All over the rest of the menki's have clothed body were the same, pulsating black scars - as if dark magic somehow resided deeply into the tissues of the then-unconscious clamod. The fenki pursed her lips, then slapped Dalroth across the less-injured side of his face, hard. The menki awoke with a start, struggling to get up. Quickly, the fenki clamped one of her paws over his mouth;

"Shh! If you make a noise you will never make it alive." the fenki told Dalroth, and offered him a hand up. Dalroth grasped the hand with hesitation, the motion sending waves of unnatural pain through his body, which stiffens. Upon the stiffening, a spurt of blood leaps from one of the black scars, spraying the wood of the grand hall with more droplets of red, but not enough to be of worry. The fenki stiffened as well at this, but hoisted Dalroth with all her strength. Dalroth obliged and his legs almost buckled beneath his own weight, but with enough help he was soon assisted to his feet. Mutely, he allowed the fenki to maneuver him to a side door, through the hallway, and to the back of the Tursid house.

The fenki released Dalroth at the door, shaking her head, fear entering her pretty eyes. She motioned in quick, hard waves of her hand for Dalroth to go, and he limped a few feet before turning to her. Mutely, he staired at for a few moments. . . .

Dalroth finally awakes, a convulsing, serpentine shudder wracking his body until his eyes flutter open. Above him, stands his son.

"Da. You were dreaming, again. Mother told me to bring you some liqueur for when you wake." Wulfar states softly, strong fear wafting from his pores and into the nose of Dalroth.

Dalroth grunts, accepting the clay mug of liqueur from his son. Too shaken to do anything, he let the small clamod boy start and run to the other side of the house, cowering at the expected rage of his father. Dalroth downs the liqueur in one go, and with a snarl of rage throws the clay mug at Wulfar. Wulfar dodges it easily, and then runs out the door on the side of the house.

It does not matter to Dalroth. This dream was too vivid, too real. Every night this dream haunted him, Uthran's face mocking him. The pain left him for a few minutes when he delivered what he felt to be justice, but far too soon again it welled up in his body, causing the nerve-wracking nightmares in him once again. He needed the boys, needed to keep his wife in check and make sure no one knew, or perhaps the pain would be the end of him. Whenever he saw them, he felt like they were the offspring of his own sins, visited on him out of his own revenge on his wife for being a Tursid; Protecting Uthran even as she protected Dalroth! Uthran even now mocked him - somehow through Dalroth's horrible deeds he had found a way to bring himself back into the menki's life, in the form of children born of sin.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:43:48 pm by Cairn »

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:26:15 pm »
The description! I loved it. And I loved the characterization. I can already tell Da is turning into a wonderful antagonist...we'll just have to see how the eventual bitterness might leak into his kids.
* Mariana Xiechai dances around happily!
Moar please  :love:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:31:46 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:04:57 pm »
The description! I loved it. And I loved the characterization. I can already tell Da is turning into a wonderful antagonist...we'll just have to see how the eventual bitterness might leak into his kids.
* Mariana Xiechai dances around happily!
Moar please  :love:
Thank you. It may be quite a long read for each chapter, as I write I have been hitting the realization that there is so, so much I wish to put into it. Which is fun! As far as the characterization, in this next part of the chapter I shall even delve deeper in "Da" Dalroth, which may explain why he is the way he is. The characterization of Aedrich is one I am most interested in.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 07:32:48 pm »
Dalroth p.3: Children of Sin

Like demons the young clamods haunted his dreams, twin pillars of burning shame in the halls of his thoughts. His wife was the great arch they supported, a crumbling pillar of a once proud woman that had been bent and molded into something she was never meant to be. The shame at times crippled him, and then the anger gave him an unnatural strength.

Dalroth had meant to love her at first, when she had rescued him from Uthran. But meaning was lost to him, corrupted by his twisted experiments with the arcane ways. Voids of pain had ripped his soul apart, and fires of hatred had charred the remaining pieces into sickly ashes and remnants of a great enki. So when he returned to the Tursid manor and she spurned him, he had begun twisting her as well. The first child was a result of their first unholy, forced union, and resembled his father in every way – enormous, stoic, and with something rotten fouling his soul. The Dark Way was far too evident in this child, but his mother would not let Dalroth kill him, so they named it Aedrich, and Dalroth had decided he would take it back and at least give it a semblance of life on the family’s farm.

The second child she had allowed him. And this, he had allowed her, for from some part of his heart he felt the need to placate the harm he had passed upon her. 6 cycles of the Azure sun after Aedrich was birthed, the second child came, and they named him Wulfar. For some reason Dalroth could not look upon this one as easily, something about the pure nature of the consummation of the kit angered him. This was not a child he deserved, and yet he could not begrudge his wife her one joy.

This all passes through Dalroth’s mind while he sits in his great wicker chair, the dream of Uthran now just a distant memory. At the forced, painful memories, the great enki begins to stand, and with a wave of his hand stoked the fire that his wife had been diligently loading wood on. The timbers flicker, spark, and then with a great roar shoot up through the chimney, in a cacophony of searing flame and burning timber. Within a matter of seconds, all of the wood is reduced to ash, the pain in Dalroth’s mind burning out into the fire in front of him. The flames lap at his fur, but he never allows them close enough to burn him, instead allowing the great heat to wash into his cold, cold bones.

It has been this way for quite some time, Dalroth reminisces again. The two arts he had spent his life working with and dedicating perhaps his soul to, strove within him to calm and kill him. The vast void left by the dark way left his body cold, and the fires he could command with the red way would oftentimes be the only comfort.

20 cycles ago, I was a God.

The young clamod enki had just turned 29 cycles and the pursuit of magic had always been tantamount to him. But let his father doubt its power, Dalroth argued, he would find his place as a master of the arts soon enough. As soon as he had turned 5 he had loved magics, and so his father being a doting man, Bjornsted V had placed him under the tutelage of one of the best red way mage the level could provide. The man was Circle-ordained, and despite charging a pretty tria, taught well. Dalroth had spent 20 cycles under this man, learning the arts with a passion unmatched by most other students. The arcane studies were like a flame to him, and he the moth, but he did not know the outcome – he would burn. It was his 15th cycle into his studies, and he was 20 cycles old, soon to be 21. There, he met Trypsen, a blikau fenki who was a fellow student under the tutelage of the red way master.

Trypsen grew up in the slums of Ojaveda, raised by two near-penniless enki who scavenged to keep their daughter alive. They had passed away a few cycles before, and the master of the red way had grudgingly apprenticed Trypsen as a favor to the dying pair, swearing she would not live their life. She was a quick learner, like Dalroth, but a few cycles older. Upon entering her 17th cycle of apprenticeship, she had begun appearing fewer and far between at the training sessions, claiming that she had already mastered enough of the spells and that learning bored her. Dalroth saw her as a goddess, wreathed in knowledge. Soon he had begun to follow her when she left the master’s home, and found that she was going to a cave in the wilderness surrounding Ojaveda, a dark, cramped place.

The cave reeked of sorrow, as if something in torment lived there. Heedless of danger, both Trypsen and Dalroth continued to visit it, practicing the spells their master taught them in secret. Soon, though, it was apparent the malice in the cave was something twisted, and the minds of the two Enkidukai turned to darker thoughts. The red way spells, while powerful, no longer occupied their thoughts, and they wished for something darker, more twisted. Something that was more capable of pain, perhaps.  Trypsen ended her apprenticeship under the red way mage, claiming master status as bequeathed by him, and began a journey to seek out a new master, one who could teach her darker arts. Dalroth continued with his master until his 20th cycle, still seeking out Trypsen when his time allowed him, and learning the Dark way as the fenki could teach him.

After his 20 years was up and he was bequeathed master status as well, Dalroth began seeking Trypsen in earnest, after having broken contact with her 1 cycle prior. He searched all over 3 levels, still seeing no sign of his friend and mentor. As chance would have it, when ending his search in Hydlaa he was attacked by some thugs, and despite all of his rage and power, numbers overwhelmed in and he was taken by Dakkru to be in her realm.

There, in the great library of the dead he found his mentor, in utter worship of the Goddess of the realm, and versed deeply in the Dark Way. Trypsen had been mutilating herself, even on occasion allowing herself to die and be transported to the darkened place to learn more about the hallowed power she sought. Eventually, she began to find the way of the living tiresome and weary, and had allowed herself to slip into Dakkru’s embrace for over a cycle, the Goddess being a forgiving and loving deity for her worshipful child. As Dalroth had stumbled about the eerie maze, lost, tired, and alone, Trypsen had found him and brought him to the library. It was there the two resumed their learning of the arts, deep in the tutelage of Oriven Thamel, a wise seer in the Death Realm.

Until Dalroth’s 28th cycle the two continued in this, and were almost lovers of a sort, corrupt, tainted and pierced by what some would see as evil, but lovers nonetheless, finding a semblance of morbid peace in each other’s arms. Upon Dalroth’s 28th cycle though, he began feeling weary, his soul and body growing cold from the spells he practiced. He designed it time to return to the world he knew best, and with Dakkru’s curse and a foreboding chill on him, he returned to Hydlaa.

Gods are born with prices, memories began telling him. You are not born into a position of power, or at least handed in on a plate. You must always earn it, whether you are given the strength of 10 men or 100, you must still use it or it is wasted and unearned. There is a price you pay, Dalroth, a price you will always pay. She will come for you, you will see, she will come.

The big menki chides himself at that, but the shudder that passes over his bones is hard to ignore, so he stokes the fire more. There is almost nothing left to burn except magic, and finally Dalroth slumps into his chair, too afraid to move away from his place of comfort but too determined to end his suffering somehow.

Dalroth hears a creaking, now, and a cold wind begins to blow through the house, despite the flames of the fire.

“Aedrich! Wulfar! Paor! . . . “ Dalroth cries, but as the last name leaves his throat he grows rigid, the cold in his mucles and joints stiffening and paralyzing him with fear and chill. 

“Have you wept for me, once, Dalroth? Have you considered my teachings, perhaps? Or have you let all that we learned go towards your own twisted pleasure, like you always did. I was but your play toy, Dalroth. Just another woman to you, and I taught you everything you have ever known. You left my embrace, and a woman scorned is nothing to let fall lightly. I find this realm to be warm, but your heart, if you call it that, is still cold. There is nothing left in you Dalroth.’ A feminine voice echoes into the room, following the cold wind. It is warm, almost carefree, but something evil lurks in it, like the lull before a great storm of ice and wind. Dalroth cannot move, the eating cold seeping so deep into his bones that it is like a million small teeth gnawing hungrily at his insides. There is no other noise, just the crackling of the flames after that. Finally, the voice speaks again.

“No, I have decided. I will not let you fall by my hand. I have far more important things to move on to, this realm has need of me once more. Trypsen shall remain hidden in the shadows, and her tendrils will reach to the far ends of the levels and up to the crystal itself, Dalroth. But you will not be here to see it, I fear. Your eldest son shall kill you, I think. A fitting justice for a killer and deceiver.” By now, Dalroth knows it is Trypsen, and the fenki steps through the door.

She appears young, still, no more than an ageless 30 cycles. But Dalroth knows this is not true, she would be nigh 52 now. Her blikau fur shines in the firelight, impeccably groomed and wavy, as he remembered it to be. Her almond shaped eyes shine like great stars, a piercing green with white pupils, and are surrounded by beauteously thick, long lashes, dark and luscious. Her soft face is the way Dalroth always dreams it to be; petite and formed, yet something vicious lurks deep beneath the surface like the maw of a great creature in a calm blue lake. Her curvy body still tempts the older clamod with its gentle sway of the hip or formed chest. But beyond this, there is still terror, sheer, abrupt terror for Dalroth.

He knows there is no one who will save him, no one who would feign to hear his cry if he dared to cry out. No one would see him fit to help or heal, and not a soul would turn an ear to hear his dying words. He was worthless to the world, an old burned hulk that wandered the corridors of a clay house that did not feel like his home. The pursuit of power has burned him in the end, grasping at things that were not suited for a simple son of a farmer.

His last thoughts before the witch-fenki put him into a mercifully deep sleep, devoid of pain or even thought, are those of his sons; Aedrich, the beast that had long endured his father’s torturous devices, and Wulfar, more the son of his mother than Dalroth, a menki that could make his own life. It was good, he reasoned as blackness closed his eyes, that Aedrich would end him, and perhaps find purpose in himself with the death of his father. It was only fitting.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:45:50 pm by Cairn »

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:42:00 am »
Ok. Today, I will finish up editing and posting chapter 1 part 3, which should mark the end of Dalroth's chapter, if I'm contented with it.
Comments? Questions? There is a lot to tie in to Wulf's and Aedrich's RP, since they're in stark contrast to each other, but I find if you look hard enough you can find the answers you seek. If not, ask away!

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 04:38:51 pm »
*fwuah!

This ending of this chapter pissed me off to write, because it had to be so concise. There was an entire world and relationship I wanted to explore, but there's so much left to write! Augh. Anyways, I hope it helps piece together the clues given in the first two segments and give a littlelot more insight into the world of the sons.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:52:19 pm »
Won't lie, during the scene with Dalroth getting his face mutilated all I could think was "ow, ow, ow, owie, ow, ow..."

Good job with the imagery  \\o//

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:03:22 pm »
Thank you, writing in present/past tense has been hard. I have to go through and correct a lot of that. And imagery has even been hard the past few days for some reason, but meh, I appreciate the compliments :)

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:43:37 am »
The more I read through this, the more I realize that I need a bit more continuity, as well as finishing it. BUT!

We'll go ahead and re-write with an overarcing line that more people will get.

Fin.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 02:37:33 pm »
 :'( And I wanted to see what was gonna happen!

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 04:42:17 pm »
Oh, you will. Beliiiieeeve you me, you will! I just need to write a connect the dots, if you will.

Because essentually: Wulfar & Aedrich tie in with Trypsen ties in with Izarek ties in with Korst ties in with The Red Fenki ties in with.....well, you get the point. And as I'd like to both conclude and expand on the Red Fenki in a lot of ways, I think I'll point more in that direction. A lot of people were confused by the beginning, so the least I can do is some explaining, methinks.

.......impatient scoundrels...