Author Topic: steuben, the first step  (Read 693 times)

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
steuben, the first step
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:26:03 pm »
Steuben Viscosa swore the ancient oath of his trade. He stood with the few others before old masters of the organization. He said the words mangled by memory and time. He took a small crucible of molten metal from a coal furnace. The metal combined in recipe of iron that had drifted with time and place. He poured the molten metal into a ring mold ancient when it had first arrived in Yliakum. He quenched the mold. He opened the mold into his hand. The ring fell into his palm still slightly warm. He placed the mold back on the table and retook his place.

He placed the scalloped ring on the little finger of his right hand. He saw flashes of images. A world consumed by fire. A woman with long black hair dressed in a pale grey sweater and a pale green dress, unremarkable except for her solid sapphire blue eyes. Six people wandered and worked metal in villages scattered in the ashes.

He heard the words, "you cannot magic iron" from the old masters over the whisper of woman, "there is no more magic in metal."

"Master Viscosa," one of the old masters stood in front of him. "We are finished." Steuben looked around. The others that were with him were at the door. They looked back with a bit of concern on their faces. He shook his head to clear it.

“Yes, sorry." He said and walked to the door. The master watched him as he left.

"Hey, steub," one of the others said as he got into the hall. "What happened? Once you put on the ring you kind of zoned out."

Steuben opened his mouth to say something but paused. "Nothing, just got lost in the amount of work I’m going to have to do when I get home." They started to walk down the hall to the rooms they were staying with in.

"A master smith working a village forge, for village wages." Feleke shook her head. "Your work is genius more frequent than not. You could easily find work in the great workshops. "

"Who says they didn't offer." Steuben said. "Besides even the lords have to eat. And they can't if the plow is broken and the kettle drains into the fire."

"Yes, yes, I know the story."

It was a discussion they had had many times before. Neither had persuaded the other. They stopped in front of Steuben's room. "See you at the supper?" Feleke said.

Steuben nodded. "Yes, of course."

That night Steuben tossed and turned in his sleep. More images flashed through his dreams. Cities of crystal and chrome that gleamed in the night before they crumbled, burned, and dissolved in blinding white light. Seven people gathered around a cobbled together forge, one the woman from before. Steuben sat upright in his bed. The sheets were tangled around him, damp from sweat despite the cool night.

He left his room and walked to one of the balconies that overlooked the garden. He leaned against the railing and looked down at the ring on his finger. He was still looking at it when the master from earlier walked by.

"Had too much at the supper, Steuben?" He said.

Steuben looked up and turned around. He shook his head. "No, master Tuyrad just," he paused. "Just trouble sleeping."

Tuyrad frowned. "You’ve been unfocused since the ceremony. Tell me what happened when you put on your ring."

Steuben recounted what he saw in his dreams and the images. The master nodded the whole time.

"You're sure it was seven people around that forge?" Tuyrad said. "The woman and six others?"

Steuben closed his eyes as he focused on the memory of the image. "Yes, seven people."

Tuyrad's brow furrowed as he looked deep into Steuben’s eyes. The master turned away. He paced the few steps at the entrance to the balcony. "Of all times now. But when else would it be?" He muttered.

"What, what is it?" Steuben said.

"Go, see the librarian. He'll explain it. Best go now."

"But --"

"Knowing him he's probably waiting. Besides your sleep is shot for the rest of the night."

Steuben walked down the hall. The master watched him go a hint of regret in his eyes. Steuben walked through the darkened campus. The images still roiled in his mind. He stopped in front of the great door to the library. He pushed the door. It opened easily. He had heard that the library was never locked. It looked to be true. He walked into the lobby.

The door slowly drifted closed behind him. He had wondered about that when he first arrived, until he noticed the combination of the mechanism and the angle the door was hung at. The words of another master drifted through his mind. "Never trust magic. Use it. But, never trust it, especially when iron will do."

He stood in the lobby and wondered where to find the librarian. He heard the taping of a cane from within the stacks. He walked towards the sound. The words kept running through his mind. They kept him from focusing on the events of earlier that day. "What is magic?" He said aloud.

"Simply put," and old voice said through one of the shelves. "Magic is that which you do not understand."

Steuben walked around the stack to the other side.

"Like smithing when you first learned it." The voice continued. Steuben stopped in front of a stooped wizened lemur. "But, you did not come here for such a question did you, new maser Viscosa."

"No. Master Tuyrad sent me when I told him about the dream I had about seven people standing around a forge."

"Seven. Hmm. And among them a young woman, with long black hair and pale coloured clothes?"

"Yes, with eyes that were solid sapphire blue."

"Hmm. Show me your ring."

Steuben took it off and handed to the librarian. The librarian looked at it. He held it at eyelevel and let it drop. It hit the floor on a corner fell over and laid still. He picked it up, and handed it back to Steuben. He put it on a puzzled look on his face.

"I should have expected this, having seen your work." he turned to walk deeper into the library. "Come. There is something I must show you."

At the end of the row the librarian took a small pale blue crystal out of a pouch on his belt. He blew on it gently. It started to glow with a blue-white light. "We shall need this where we are going."

They walked through the library. They stopped at a door. "Tell me, what do you know of the origin of our order?" the librarian pushed the door open. Behind it was a spiral stair case.

"What has been passed through the stories. On a world beyond a portal deep in the stone labyrinths an unnamed goddess kept the knowledge of how to work iron in the minds of five people. With the ceremony of the ring she bound them to an oath that they would, among other things, use their knowledge and skills for the betterment of the community."

"Yes, among other things," said the librarian as they walked down the stairs. "An oath in a language old when the gods were new. She was one of the few that knew that language. She paid for that knowledge and her rebellion with her life."

At the bottom of the stairs they walked along a short hallway in to a room roughly hewn out of the living rock. On the floor was an uncontained perfect circle of quicksilver. "After all these years I never properly dressed the rock." The librarian gestured around. "I never really saw the need." He walked over to a wall sconce and lit the lamp. It cast a flickering yellow light in the room.

"How to you contain the quicksilver?" Steuben asked.

"It isn't quicksilver. That is a portal."

"What's on the other side?"

"Many more questions, and a few answers." The librarian stood at the edge. "Careful stepping through, the floors aren't aligned." He stepped off and walked into the portal. The surface rippled a little and quickly settled.

Steuben walked to the edge and looked down at the portal. The surface cast back a frosted reflection of him. He took a deep breath and held it. It stepped into the portal. The surface rippled slightly and fell flat and still again.

To be continued...
Feel free to comment.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:17:06 pm by steuben »
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: steuben, the first step
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:31 pm »

On the other side of the portal Steuben tumbled and rolled to a stop on the floor. The thick layer of dust slowly settled back down. The portal behind him was vertical rather than horizontal. He stood up and looked around the room. It looked like it had been carved whole out of the rock itself. At the opposite end of the room was a cold brazier. Above it was a statue of a young woman in front a darkened stained glass. Off to either side were two doorways. Everything was covered in a thick layer of dust.

"Sorry about that." The librarian said as Steuben looked around. "I had forgotten how much of a difference it was. But, welcome to her last shrine." He looked at the statue. A note of sadness coloured his voice. "A shrine to a goddess forgotten by mortals. Forgotten even by her brethren." He turned to go down one of the side passages.

Steuben followed him. His footsteps raised small clouds of dust. "How will we get back through the portal?"

"Now that you know, it will know when you go though."

"The portals are alive?"

"No." The librarian paused. "They have no mind, but they can think, after a fashion, and react." He spoke slowly as if trying to find words. "A good enough description for here and now." His speech back to normal.

They entered in to a room. The light from the crystal reflected off traceries of silvery metal in the crystal walls ceiling and floor. The librarian blew on the crystal until in flared brightly. He placed the crystal in the center of a small alcove. It tumbled slowly after he released it. The crystal glowed with the same pale blue light. Pulses of deep blue light followed the silver paths on and through the crystal walls.

"Place your right hand on the center of that wall." The librarian gestured to the wall on Steuben’s right.

When he placed his hand on the wall, a series of pulses converged on the center pf the floor. A young woman appeared there. She had long black hair dressed in a pale grey sweater and a pale green dress, unremarkable except for her solid sapphire blue eyes.

"This is the forgotten goddess that created the order." The librarian said.

Steuben stepped to the center of the room. He reached out to touch her. His hand slipped right through. The woman looked at him as if noticing him for the first time.

"I'm sorry if you where expecting something else. I am just a ... homunculus of light, is perhaps the best description. My name is Eliza."

"Was that what her name was?" Steuben said.

"No. It was..." She paused then frowned. "I don't know. Funny I should know that shouldn't I."

Steuben noticed that her words didn't flow together like they should.

Steuben saw that she wasn't wearing a ring on the little finger of either hand.
"Why don't you wear the ring?"

"Ring?" She looked down at the little finger of her left hand. "Ah yes. The oath that was sworn required an object to be created to seal it. It really could have been anything. I kind of thought it would be a nice piece of symbolic elegance to use a ring. Something simple and easy to carry with you as a reminder of the oath. But, the oath wasn't for me. It was for those I could find and their successors. The oath was to protect them from further action from the other gods. And to help the world rebuild from our actions."

She paused, as if waiting for further prompting.

"Why the concern when I said that there were six instead of the five from the story?" Asked Steuben

"Would that you had never known." Eliza said. "He is the secret that is kept from the order. Why the order exists."

"Perhaps more an example of why the order exists. He took the oath. For a while he followed it. But another god was jealous of what I had created. That god sought a way to pervert what had been created. To turn it to his own ends. He found a way to twist the oath. He succeeded with the sixth smith. But, as the oath was twisted so was the mind. He performed acts that were dark and terrible by any reckoning. In the end he was killed by one of the other five. But not before he had killed that god."

"Like you?"

"Not quite," the librarian said. "He was only killed... It is like the difference between going through the death realm and the true death."

"So, he was as freed from the oath?"

"No," Eliza said. "The oath still held him. It still held him. He tried to free himself of even its twisted form. But, he failed."

"What was the oath?"

"It was..." again she frowned. "I don't know that either. Neither the translation or the complete intent."

Steuben paced the floor a bit. "Why am I here?"

Eliza opened her mouth to speak. The librarian held up his hand. They both looked at him. "I'll answer that one. Over the... Over time the details have gotten corrupted. Since the oath and the recipe for iron in the ring were passed orally they have drifted from what they originally were. Not far, but enough. The entire effect is lost if either changes just a little. But occasionally either through chance or intuition someone will recreate both. Together they recreate what happened around that forge." He looked at the woman for a moment. "It ties you to the echo of a ghost. I’m sorry."
To be continued...
Feel free to comment.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:28:46 pm by steuben »

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: steuben, the first step
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 03:30:31 pm »
"For what?"

"The oath will drive you. It will push you towards its original goal. It will provide you with the tools and skills to do that. "

"What is that?"

"To rebuild that ruined world. Though I think it will be different here. Perhaps to build a new one. But at the core it will be what you've always been taught. Do your work as best you can. Do your work without favor. Do your work for the benefit of the community."

"And if I don't want to."

"I'm sorry we don't know the release to the oath. The only one who did died a long time ago and that knowledge with her."

Steuben turned away. "Why me?"

"Why anybody?" The librarian walked over and placed his hand on Steuben’s shoulder. "If the choice could have been offered would you have accepted?"

"I would like to think that I would have said yes."

"Your actions will still be yours despite the oath." Eliza said. The words flowed smoothly. The librarian turned in surprise. "The oath will only suggest and offer advice, if you listen to it."

The librarian walked back to the image. "Have found enough power to reach through to here?" He said.

Eliza tilted her head. "My amount of power is the same as usual." The words back to having a slight pause between them.

"No, I thought not." He said, disappointed.

Steuben began to walk out of the room. The librarian touched the wall. Eliza disappeared in a cloud of points of light. He took the crystal out of its alcove. The walls rapidly fade to darkness. Soon only the small crystal lit the room.

They walked back to the portal in silence. Before walking into the portal Steuben turned around. "Why?"

"Why not?" The librarian looked around. He stopped at the darkened stained glass and the statue. "The same question from a difficulty angle. Maybe, simply because." He looked back at Steuben. "Perhaps whatever writes the fates of gods and men has created a chance."

"A chance for what?"

The librarian shrugged. "For anything."

Steuben turned and walked back through the portal. The surface rippled and quickly returned to frosty smoothness.

“Or maybe correct a mistake made long ago.” The librarian walked into the portal.

In the darkness a coal began to glow a dull orange. Its light showed that only Steuben left any footprints.