Author Topic: Character Names  (Read 1957 times)

ekdor

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Character Names
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:49:38 pm »
I just signed up and downloaded Plane Shift. I look forward to trying it out and joining the community when I have time. But at the Character Creation section I hit what seems a rather limiting feature of the requirements. It's something that in my mind is contradictory so I will try to outline my arguments for clarification.

The issue is that my names keep returning either "first name is in use" or "Second name is in use"...

This is extremely limiting. Every character must have a unique name for both names! I understand the need to prevent replicated names but since you use a two name system why not limit it to "Your full name is in use", reflected when both names are actually in use an not when just one of them is in use.

Additionally if you want to maintain the RPG rule you might want to do this because after a while you will end up with characters with random letters and perhaps the need to add numbers. I'm not a player who likes random generated names at all so I keep typing which has led me here in frustration!

Food for thought! Cheers,.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Character Names
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:57 am »
The way the game mechanics are set up all characters need a unique first name. For example commands to send someone a private message, to invite someone into a group to invites someone int a guild etc are all based on the first name of a character. It is possible for characters to share a last name but this is only done in cases where players are role playing a family relationship ( like a father and son or brother and sister) and you need a Game master to change the last name to one that is already in use. Recently a bunch of old accounts were removed from the database so a bunch of names were freed up by removing those old accounts that hadn't been used in years.

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:26:12 am »
The way the game mechanics are set up all characters need a unique first name. For example commands to send someone a private message, to invite someone into a group to invites someone int a guild etc are all based on the first name of a character. It is possible for characters to share a last name but this is only done in cases where players are role playing a family relationship ( like a father and son or brother and sister) and you need a Game master to change the last name to one that is already in use. Recently a bunch of old accounts were removed from the database so a bunch of names were freed up by removing those old accounts that hadn't been used in years.

Maybe this would be worthwhile as a long-term Engine project....

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 12:42:20 am »
plus people would not like you sharing their surname, i would be one of them

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:13:58 am »
Additionally if you want to maintain the RPG rule you might want to do this because after a while you will end up with characters with random letters and perhaps the need to add numbers.

Lol, believe me, it'll be fine. Pop numbers will never reach that point.

Lhaa

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 12:18:38 pm »
plus people would not like you sharing their surname, i would be one of them

Tuper is an ugly surname anyway, nobody would choose it.

Rigwyn

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:29:14 pm »
There's a feature on the character creation screen that enables you to create a pronounceable, random name.
Another option it to take the name that its not allowing an add a syllable to it.

This game is still in beta so get used to things not being just right ;)