Author Topic: The Book Thread  (Read 2224 times)

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
The Book Thread
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:49:10 pm »
Let's talk literature.

What are your favourite books and why? Tell us why you've become attached to them and what attracts you in literature.
I'm a classics fan myself, with Heart of Darkness being on the top of my list. it somehow manages to capture the exact things I'm looking for, as I generally go for dark, realistic literature.

There's the Ice and Fire series by George R R Martin, which I must have gone through a dozen times now, as well as falling asleep to the audiobook versions. For those unfamiliar with the series; there's an upcoming TV adaptation produced by HBO scheduled to air in April.

I've recently begun to read Dante's Comedy, starting with the Inferno. I liked the prose translation I've read while not even getting most of what is being said (Dante's focus is on medieval Florentine politics of his time). Though I've been listening to some audio lectures on the subjects by The Teaching Company and they help a lot.
To stick with the Medieval tone, I would also suggest reading The Monk by Matthew Lewis, a bizarre book that takes the gothic style of writing and mocks it till it leaves you silent for a week when you've read the last chapter.

Steven Erikson's Malazan books are also a must get for the fantasy readers among us.

There's an annual bookfestival in Holland which I always visit, I get a whole bag full of books at an incredibly cheap price and go through those in a year.

Tell us about your taste.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:54:45 pm by Jekkar »
"A new day will come when those who rudely interrupt are swept away!" -Lereal

Elkarway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: The Book Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:35:14 pm »
The Picture of Dorian Gray.  I just love the way Wilde writes, and wnjoyed thinking about the symbolism for weeks after finishing it.  It's my favourite book, quite easily.

The Gambler by Dostoevsky.

Besides that, though I enjoyed The Prince and many Norse and Greek myths, my favourites would be the much less sophisticated but wonderful Drenai Tales.

Caym

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »
I thought Twilight was very well written and very immersive.
"Proclaiming I am thine trollop, 'tis not even a jest, 'tis but the truth." - Jekkar

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 02:55:08 pm »

To each our own tastes. I've tried to get into that series, my girlfriend originally proposed me to read them, claiming they were great, promising me I wouldn't regret it. The start was quite doable but as I read on it became more and more dragging and stale to me. Though I enjoy her company I must say I've never forgiven her for this.

Caym

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 02:59:51 pm »

To each our own tastes. I've tried to get into that series, my girlfriend originally proposed me to read them, claiming they were great, promising me I wouldn't regret it. The start was quite doable but as I read on it became more and more dragging and stale to me. Though I enjoy her company I must say I've never forgiven her for this.

One would indeed expect men to feel threatened by those books in that they can't possibly live up to the expectations created by them in terms of relationship commitment, romanticism and adventure.
"Proclaiming I am thine trollop, 'tis not even a jest, 'tis but the truth." - Jekkar

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 03:01:10 pm »

One would indeed expect men to feel threatened by those books in that they can't possibly live up to the expectations created by them in terms of relationship commitment, romanticism and adventure.

Agreed.

Caym

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 01:30:33 pm »
I would have expected roleplayers to be interested in literature. I guess PS players aren't as cultured as they want others to believe they are  ???

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »
Ice & Fire owns. RR Martin rocks the whole world.

Besides that as Fantasy is concerned, I've read LOTR, some of Robin Hobb's books, "Colour of Magic" (great, easy to read book) and some others, I think.

Lately I've been reading economy, history and finance books which I won't bother you with.

I'm getting Heart of Darkness once I find it.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »
I'm a bookworm. mostly science fiction, Asimov, Clarke, Dick... . I tried reading fantasy but anything except Tolkien seems to me lacking something, or deja-vu.

I've recently begun to read Dante's Comedy [...]

Don't worry, Dante's Comedy is really tough to understand even in original, because of the complex historical links :) . Anyway I still remember by heart the Charon encounter... After studying it in school for two or three years, finally you can even grasp the concepts on the fly, and the rhythm is simply magnificient. I'd like to see a translation...
Edit: I've found this, great!
http://etcweb.princeton.edu/dante/pdp/

Ah, and I've read Asimov's Foundation series... well, I stopped counting at the seventh, and Herbert's Dune series as well.

Elkarway

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:41:44 pm »
I loved the Hyperion series actually, the only sci fi that I've really enjoyed.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 05:18:05 pm »
Elric of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock.
Fahferd and the Grey Mouser, Fritz Leiber.
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.
The Chronicles of Amber, by Roger Zelazny.
The Keep by F. Paul Wilson.
The Lives of the Caesars, by Suetonius.
The Mysteries of Paris, by Eugene Sue.
Everything by H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne.
To name a few... and many, many more.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:05:43 pm »
I would have expected roleplayers to be interested in literature. I guess PS players aren't as cultured as they want others to believe they are  ???

Oh Planeshift's players don't even like RPing culture, because 'its racist'.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:52:52 pm »
Read James Joyce's Ulysses' ... You won't enjoy it. But if you can last the whole book, I have faith in your abilities :D

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 12:53:24 am »
I had a temp job once, answering the phone for the president of some company. He came into the office at about 11 am, then went to lunch, came back sometimes at 2 , stayed a half hour, then left. The rest of the workers worked their asses off , but my job was to answer his private phone (maybe a dozen times a day at most), and tell people he was not there. Two weeks!

So I read:
War and Peace
Brothers Karamazov
Uncle Tom's Cabin
The Magus
(John Fowles- magnificent, eerie book)
Daniel Martin (another Fowles novel, I was on a roll)
All of Shakespeare's comedies and sonnets
Metamorphosis
Plato's Symposium
Remembrance of Things Past
Ulysses
( and yes I liked it and yes it was kinda hard to understand until you get it then it's like mystical singing, and so sexual/sensual)
most of Tom Stoppard's plays
and ... well, who knows what else.

Best temp job of my life!
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 01:24:16 am »
the tale of peter rabbit  :-[