Author Topic: game fails to start after install (errors include iSoundManager, XOpenIM)  (Read 697 times)

estaga

• Traveller
    • View Profile
My computer died, so bought a new one, this one is HP Pavilion g4 2191se with i7, 6Gb RAM, and Intel HD 4000 graphics card. I'm running Arch Linux 64 bit. I downloaded Planeshift, ran pslaunch, it failed, so I ran pslaunch --repair, it "repaired" many files, so I ran it again with hope, but get the same basic error. I am running GNOME 3.6, so I have pulseaudio, alsa, openal, pulseaudio-alsa, alsa-oss all installed. Further, I went to the crystalspace website and installed all of the libraries there I could find in Arch, regardless of their required, recommended or optional status. Below is the error I'm getting. Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening and/or suggestions on things to try to get this to work?

NB. glxgears and openarena both work fine and give good performance. glxinfo reports direct rendering: Yes

Update: Found these topics and tried some of the suggestions there with no effect:
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=36965.msg420559#msg420559

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=37270.msg424164#msg424164

Thanks,
Estaga

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 ./pslaunch
Checking for updates to the updater: Using mirror http://194.116.72.94/update/ for updaterinfo.xml
WARNING: could not load plugin ‘iSoundManager’
ERROR: Couldn't load plugin with class ‘iSoundManager’!
Opening GLX2D
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
Creating Context
ERROR: XOpenIM() failed
Failed to open the X-Window!
Error opening Graphics2D context.
Opening GLX2D
Creating Context
Opening GLX2D
Creating Context
Mounting skin: /planeshift/art/pslaunch.zip
Segmentation fault
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:47:10 pm by estaga »

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: game fails to start after install (errors include iSoundManager, XOpenIM)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:51:10 pm »
I would say get a real graphics card as that would very likely solve the issue.... but as it's a laptop you can't.

so can't really help there sadly. :/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:53:18 pm by miadon »
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:13:00 pm »
I have not much clue about Linux issues ... and apart from the fact that intel GPUs are office chips, not gaming chips ... but try to disable fullscreen mode if it is enabled. Trying to switch to an unsupported desktop resolution used to be one of the common problems under Linux.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

estaga

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 02:40:43 am »
Full screen is off in both the psclient.cfg and pslaunch.cfg files, still no joy - same errors as noted in my original post.

Estaga

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 03:47:24 am »
From your bash excerpt, it seems you are only running pslaunch when the crash occurs. For me, pslaunch segfaults quite often.... Something is rotten in there :(

Did you try to run psclient directly? It may work. At least it works for me.

Just a wild shot, but easy to try :)
When I'm home again, I can compare to my responses...

Good luck!
Glad to meet you :)

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:17:48 pm »
XOpenIM is a function that deals with input methods and not output. So it might not be the drivers or gfx card that is to be blamed here. But sorry, I can't really offer good ideas why that function fails for you. Might want to check out your LANG and LC_* variables if they are valid. Also starting from outside of gnome is maybe worth a try (Yeah, sorry, I'm really no friend of gnome ;)).

estaga

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 09:55:35 am »
Trying to run psclient directly gets the following:

./psclient
Your configuration files are in... /home/jeff/.PlaneShift
ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.
crystalspace.window.x:  XOpenIM() failed
crystalspace.canvas.glx2d:  Failed to open the X-Window!
crystalspace.graphics3d.opengl:  Error opening Graphics2D context.
shader portal_default: ....10%....20%....30%....40%....50%....60%....70%....80%....90%....100%
shader lighting_default: ....10%....20%....30%....40%....50%....60%....70%....80%....90%....100%
shader z_only: ....10%....20%....30%....40%....50%....60%....70%....80%....90%....100%

planeshift.application.client:
  PlaneShift Arcane Chrysalis (0.5.9.3)
  This game uses Crystal Space Engine created by Jorrit and others
  2.1.0.3374 [Unix-x86(64)-GCC]
  Failed to init app!
AL lib: ALc.c:2325: exit(): closing 1 Device
AL lib: ALc.c:2247: alcCloseDevice(): destroying 1 Context(s)

I have tried setting LANG="C" before running and also unsetting that variable, neither caused a change - regardless of running pslaunch or psclient.

I also tried rm ~/.PlaneShift and ran both pslaunch and psclient again, same errors occurred.

I haven't tried this in something other than GNOME yet, but I'll do that soon, I've been meaning to install awesome or xmonad anyway.

Thanks for the ideas, please continue, I'll continue trying your suggestions.

Estaga

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 10:19:46 am »
Well, the CS forums are not really helpful either :/ http://www.crystalspace3d.org/forum/index.php?topic=2027.0

So sorry, if you are not from a country where you read right to left or you use a lot more than boring 26 glyphs and setup an input method on your own I really can only think of some gnome misconfiguration there. I would try starting PS without a DE at all...just a xterm should be enough. ;)

estaga

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »
ok, got awesome installed, and -- good news -- pslaunch runs! yay! So I can get to settings now and tweak them out a bit - but that is a bit random since I don't really know what most of them do anyway (besides turning sound on/off or something simple).

At any rate, pressing the play button allows me to get to the logon screen. I put in my creds an press the logon button and I get this:

psclient.bin: brw_queryobj.c:278: brw_begin_query: Assertion `!"Unrecognized query target in brw_begin_query()"' failed.

sometimes I make it to the character screen, and then I get it when I try to click on my character's name. Either way, I'm not making it into the game with this error.

I have tried (again) deleting the ~/.PlaneShift directory, I have tried pslaunch --repair and it replaced my psclient.cfg file (which I think made this problem surface sooner rather than later -- not sure about that comment though).

Any new thoughts (besides stop using GNOME ;-)  )

Estaga

estaga

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »
If it makes any difference, running the `locale' command gives me this output:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Estaga

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 05:15:39 am »
I was told that such issues are usual for OpenSource graphic drivers; they often lack the implementation of important features of the OpenGL rendering architecture. Proprietary drivers from the chipset manufacturers are usually more recommendable ... but intel is an exception. Their crap is never recommendable for games. Especially not under Linux.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 05:19:10 am »
"brw_queryobj.c" is part of Mesa/OpenGL. So this time there is a good chance it's the intel drivers that mess up. Make sure to try some of the fixes mentioned here in the forums for intel cards on linux. Sorry, I have no intel card but if I remember right at least this one is necessary. Also playing with the graphics settings in pslauch might help.

And just a wild guess for the locales..I really have no clue there. "locale -a" tells me it's "en_US.utf8"...no idea if locales are case sensitive. I still would blame gnome and some keyboard settings there though (Yeah..did I mention already I can't stand gnome ;)).

In general sorry again..I can't really offer a solution just some stupid suggestions. Hope something works there for you.

And just about LigH...as far as I know people got PS to work with intel cards on linux. I think it's the windows guys that are completely out of luck there.

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:23:24 am by Aiwendil »

estaga

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 07:44:27 am »
added the recommended Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_ARB_shader_objects = false to my planeshift.cfg, now it just segfaults, neither psclient nor pslaunch will start. Oh well. Guess I'll give up for a while, looks like the only real answer is buy different hardware.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll be back when I get a new computer.

Estaga

rogerdv

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 03:51:49 pm »
I have the same problem, but my video card is a gt9500, with Nvidia drivers.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 06:10:58 am »
Actually this thread is about two different problems..so which one did you run into?

If it's the "ERROR: XOpenIM() failed" problem....get away from gnome! Or good luck with trying to get the settings of gnome right.

If it's the "brw_begin_query: Assertion" problem...sorry, no clue. I really thought that's more a intel gfx chip problem..I guess the only suggestion I can give then is playing around with the gfx settings of PS and see if it helps.