Author Topic: Good graphic settings  (Read 843 times)

Alasia Burningstone

• Wayfarer
  • Blacksmith. I making armors.
    • View Profile
Good graphic settings
« on: December 14, 2012, 03:39:07 am »
Greetings strangers ;)

i have changed my settings an i am not sure now, which are good to play?
I havent lag problems.
Can you insert screenshots of your graphic settings?

Here my screesnot :)

Thank you very much.

I hope, i am not wrong here?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Good graphic settings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 03:48:07 am »
Dovoy' Alasia.

It doesn't make sense to recommend you any option without knowing your exact graphic chipset, and knowing your CPU, RAM, operating system and graphic driver version may also be useful.

If you e.g. have a desktop PC with a Quad Core CPU, 4 GB RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce GT(X) with at least 512 MB, you can probably use the maximum everywhere.

But if you have a laptop with intel integrated GPU, all we can do is pity you.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Alasia Burningstone

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:06:08 am »
Ah yes.
I have laptop with 2 graphic cards :)
Ingame is nvidia gforce gt 650M (2 gb ), CPU 2,3 quad and 8 gb ram.
Particles i cannot use on hight, because it jerky.

I thought, you know a good settings that are good for playing.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 04:22:19 am »
"Good settings" depend a lot on the hardware. "Mobile GPUs" for laptops have a very reduced design to save energy, so even if it is an Nvidia chipset, it only has a fraction of the rendering speed of a similar Desktop PC graphic card.

Make sure that the Nvidia card is actually used while playing the game. I am no expert for laptops (I have no use for them), but I remember to have read that there are sometimes issues selecting one or another GPU for a game. And if PlaneShift didn't use the Nvidia GPU but the other (probably intel Core i#?), you wouldn't enjoy it.

As far as I see, your selection seems to be pretty reasonable for your mobile GPU. But "lag" has a lot of different reasons. The graphic rendering speed is not the only possible reason. Slow harddisks to load parts of the world from are another usual issue; each time a model of an item or a character comes into the viewing range of your character, the game needs to load its appearance, its textures ... and that seems to block the whole game remarkably.

Try to run around the plaza fountain. If the frame appears constantly low but quite stable, especially looking towards the tall tower, the "bottleneck" is probably the rendering or culling (rejecting of certainly invisible areas). But if the framerate is usually good but suddenly locks up for a brief time, and the harddisk is active at the same time, the bottleneck is the loading of models.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:23:56 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Alasia Burningstone

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 04:32:28 am »
What is better for background loading? Models or world?

I know this all problems, my problem is to set to low settings for my graphic card :)
but i want play normally further.

Sometimes at high settings is all good, sometimes i see graphic bugs, and i dont know, is this because of my settings ore not?
I see holes in world and holes in models.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:00:03 am »
I know there are dependencies between the "Background loading" mode and other multi-threading options. I believe the mode "World" is not recommendable, may not be correctly implemented yet. "Models" should work rather reliably but might be the reason for small jerks while moving. "Off" will result in remarkably longer loading time when crossing map loading portals.
__

"Holes in the world" (usually "hyper-transparent" grass tufts, where you can see the end of the world around their leaves, or seams around elements like forest path segments) are not a problem of your setup or your graphic card, but a problem of the map using the game engine (means, the development team needs to change the map data somehow, but it's not quite simple).

"Holes in models" are another known issue: The "Armored Riverling" texture is plain wrong, and the other smaller issues (spots in armor, rings around fences and leaves) are related to the conversion of the textures into a 3D engine optimized format which is not really correct.

All that are problems to be solved by the team, not by the user.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile

Alasia Burningstone

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:59 am »
Thanksss

What about AA and AF, when i this maxed?
When i change area, it can be possible, that the game crashes ?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:22:21 pm by Alasia Burningstone »

WrennB

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 11:38:39 pm »
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=40189.msg450074#msg450074

Hello, and I want to apologize up front if I'm not following protocol or if I'm breaking any rules. I've read and re-read stuff on here, and I'm getting nowhere.

I, too, am having problems with my graphics settings. My real problem didn't arise until recently. I updated to Mac OS 10.7.5, and then every time I tried to play PlaneShift, I crashed. I finally deleted the entire PlaneShift folder that had resided in Macintosh HD -> Users -> My_Name -> Library (which was grayed out, like it was invisible) -> Application Support -> PlaneShift.

I no longer crashed, but I started having a graphics problem that I *thought* I'd already resolved. I made very careful notes on my pslaunch settings and tried my old settings. No dice. BTW -- I hadn't been completely satisfied with my graphics for some time, but I was told that my machine is too old and that I'd just have to deal with it. Either the player/characters look like this (See attached JPEG), or the tunnels are completely black, or I have no torch fire, or there are no magic effects. Actually, prior to this last episode, I could get three of the four, but never all four at the same time. Now I would just be satisfied to be able to see my character and find my way through the tunnels.

Here are my specs: I'm running a MacBook (Early 2008 MB403LL/A) with OS 10.7.5. I've got a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4 GB of RAM. It has an Intel GMA X3100 video card with 144 MB of VRAM. (I know it's an old piece of crap, but it's what I can afford.)

Again I apologize for not following any protocols or rules. I would sincerely apprecriate any help anyone might be able to give. If you like to e-mail (because I truly suck at this forum stuff. I can't even figure out how to start my own original post, so I just quoted this one.) that would be great. My email is jamie_wildman@comcast.net, which may be different than my forum account. Like I said, I had a heck of a time navigating the forums.

:surrender:

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 05:11:09 am »
General advices: Never publish your real name and your email address in prominent places. Advertizing mafia is a hell.

Now, back to the intel GMA X3100 ... try if it helps to disable GLSL.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

WrennB

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 02:30:36 pm »
Thank you so much. I didn't have any luck, at first. But then I totally uninstalled everything, re-installed (yet again) and used the bit of code you referred to, and I'm off and running. Thanks again.