Author Topic: wishlist questions  (Read 300 times)

Edicho

• Traveller
    • View Profile
wishlist questions
« on: July 18, 2010, 09:11:59 am »
I don't get it... so please explain. I just found (and yeah I know it's propably been there for ages etc) this point of wishlist rules:

# You want to suggest things that are in completed games and are just not here yet, or anything else in violation of the guidelines below

So, Question 1: Doesn't it just make wishlist forum section completely pointless? If we want to see something (and there's like 100% we've seen it somewhere, or it it in some other game out there) You'll just say Planeshift is not finished product and you'll feel fine (by you, I mean anyone who decided to create wishlist).

Let's get an example:
Request: I would like Planeshift to be more playable. (yeah yeah i know planeshift must be unique and while other mmos are playable PS must be unique at this point too ;) ). The levelling system is too much trouble for most players to bear.
And here we get our 3 points:
    * A new idea that could be used in the game mechanics
    * A variation on an old idea that could be applied (preferably in a unique way)
    * Comments on a current idea and how you think it could be changed

Well, when we want some better levelling system, we propably think planeshift levelling system sucks because we've seen better system somewhere else. 
So you can automatically ignore our post and mark it as violating board rules.
So what should we do? ask the other game developers to change their game status to beta so you can accept our request?

Thinking out completely new (because you like your unique-ness) system is pointless, because THERE ARE ALREADY well thought systems, but then you don't want to apply them, shielding youselves with BETA/SOON/VIOLATING BOARD RULES (pick your choice).

and also, why I'm here, why won't you move some bugs from old bugtracker to new bugtracker? I know it looks better where there are less bugs on the wallpaper but please... that's not the point of a bugtracker, if you're going to put a new bugcktracker system every now and then, why not to just add some new statuses like "works for me", "too lazy to fix" or something like that :P I'm a developer, and what you're doing is wrong.

Then Let's get back to our Question 1:
why do we have this forum section if you don't really going to change game to players' likeness?

I also won't say project need more and better developers because there's rule to that :
    * Saying we need "more" or we need "better" isn't enough, and threads asking for this will be deleted.

also asking for ideas that are doing their jobs well in other projects is useles:
    * Do not suggest things just because they're in another game.  (of course, why to learn from other's experiences, it's better to make our own mistakes and make it take more time)

And before you ask 'Why?' :
Reason 1: Because I don't know what wishlist is for, if all requests are going to be cancelled anyway.
Reason 2: Because I don't know what developers are thinking about the project and what they actually want to do with it in the future (because making it better doesn't seem like it).

Forgive me asking difficult questions, don't be opera - listen to users and apply to their voices

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: wishlist questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:19:38 am »
first of all: does your post have any background? just asking out of curiousity, but you make it sound like 90% of the wishes are closed with a "not wanted as it's already somewhere" else which doesn't seem to be the case ;)

If we want to see something (and there's like 100% we've seen it somewhere, or it it in some other game out there) You'll just say Planeshift is not finished product and you'll feel fine
I yet have to see such a comment, but no probably, nobody will shout at you - really. It's basically just to prevent some "make PS exactly like xyz, just free and open source and with the following 2 changes just I want, thanks".

Request: I would like Planeshift to be more playable. [...] The levelling system is too much trouble for most players to bear.
that's neither a request, nor a wish. it's a plain and simple complaint without any explanation -> such things (if you really have to post them at all), should go into the complaint department ;)

Well, when we want some better levelling system, we propably think planeshift levelling system sucks because we've seen better system somewhere else. 
So you can automatically ignore our post and mark it as violating board rules.
the point is not to copy a whole system of whichever game. if you liked a certain aspect of it, that could be a point that might be considered if it can be applied to the PS system, e.g. check Another suggestion to determine character stats

Thinking out completely new (because you like your unique-ness) system is pointless, because THERE ARE ALREADY well thought systems, but then you don't want to apply them, shielding youselves with BETA/SOON/VIOLATING BOARD RULES (pick your choice).
you cannot just "apply" a complete system of some other game...
1) you don't know enough details
2) it'd 99% violate some copyright laws
3) the aim is not to make PS just a copy/mixture of some other game(s)

and also, why I'm here, why won't you move some bugs from old bugtracker to new bugtracker?
the current bugtracker is used since years... is the old one even still alive? weren't the important ones moved over? are there even any *valid* bugs in there? if so, feel free to hint me to some ;)

why do we have this forum section if you don't really going to change game to players' likeness?
again: where did you get this from? quite some ideas from the wishlist went ingame ;)

also asking for ideas that are doing their jobs well in other projects is useles:
    * Do not suggest things just because they're in another game.
you should reread it: *emphasizes the just because*
if you want to get an idea ingame, make sure it's something that fits in the game after all.

Reason 1: Because I don't know what wishlist is for, if all requests are going to be cancelled anyway.
Reason 2: Because I don't know what developers are thinking about the project and what they actually want to do with it in the future (because making it better doesn't seem like it).
as for 1: I don't get it at all
as for 2: I still think you have a wrong impression of devs. "devs" in planeshift are just regular players. anyone - whether an "official dev" or not may submit patches or contributions of whatever kind at any point and if you'd browse the wishlist and our current bugtracker a bit more, you'd see that both are maintained and that user feedback is important and taken into account - at least from my point of view.