Author Topic: Remember when?  (Read 5021 times)

Waterman

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...is dead
    • View Profile
Re: Remember when?
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2012, 09:09:51 pm »
Really though, it's impressive and weird that these forums have been going for a decade now.
"Not coming back until I have a better attitude."

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2012, 11:49:11 am »
Going on the thread title ......

Remember when people actually used to play this game?

Been walking around last three days and its like a ghost town everywhere. This is NOT the PlaneShift I remember, thats for sure.

Quote from: Waterman
Really though, it's impressive and weird that these forums have been going for a decade now.

Completely impressive. For once I agree with you waterman.  :o
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Stronith

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »
I remember when you had to be careful not to die running down the stairs too fast.  ;D

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2012, 06:26:35 pm »
I remember when you had to be careful not to die running down the stairs too fast.  ;D
\\o//

I always had a mini panic whenever my characters ran down stairs, fell of the side of a hill, or fell off a ledge in Hydlaa... after the fall damage had been nerfed. ;) That made me paranoid for years after.

Going on the thread title ......

Remember when people actually used to play this game?

Been walking around last three days and its like a ghost town everywhere. This is NOT the PlaneShift I remember, thats for sure.
Yep, rather sad, but such is the progression of things.

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2012, 10:07:48 pm »
I remember when all the players were paranoid about a tria's wipe, so we thought we'd all be sneaky and put our funds into insane amounts of glyphs. Then we'd just cash out the glyphs later to get our tria's back.  ::) HA! Good times.
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2012, 02:48:37 am »

I remember when they threatened to wipe stats.. we weren't as sneaky back then.. we just left and played something else.  o_O   :oops:

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2012, 07:40:55 am »
lady z!  \\o//
i remember when the planeshift clients had roughly 50000 active peers
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2012, 02:03:51 pm »
It's a zorbels!
And I too remember those times, when PS had up to 200 players logged-in at the same time.
What happened?
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »
It's a zorbels!
And I too remember those times, when PS had up to 200 players logged-in at the same time.
What happened?

That is a loaded question that should not be tossed around lightly on this forum. However, I believe the most simple and neutral ;) answer would be to log into the game, play for awhile and see how long you feel like hanging around. Multiple that feeling by several years and voila, you have the current status.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2012, 03:30:48 pm »
I know what you mean, but it's not like the game became worse over the years. There have been balancing changes, new and better art, new features, fixes. People leaving the game has been something of all times, the problem is that there are less new players to compensate for the leavers. I think one of the main reasons PS attracts less people now is because of F2P MMO's. A few years ago they hardly existed, now they're everywhere. Why would anyone choose to play this game if you can play another commercial-quality game for free as well? It's harsh, but it is what it is.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2012, 03:48:01 pm »
I would say that minecraft flies in the face of that theory. The game has gotten a steeper learning curve due to new features and the average player now has way less patience for the struggle to make PS run. I think that loss of novelty plays a part in the matter but things like not having the hardware, or getting sick of crashing before you get in game play more of a role. Also, there is the typical frustration of many RPers that mechanics are not very helpful for RPing. When all is said and done, PS is a niche game.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2012, 04:47:57 pm »
Yes, but my argument is that those issues have always been there. PS has always had a steep learning curve, it has always been a heavy game considering its graphics, it has always crashed a lot and RP'ers have always been complaining about the RP mechanics. Also, minecraft does not fly in the face of my theory, since there is no game equivalent to Minecraft and the game is not even free-to-play.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:20 pm »
True, those same issues have been there in some form, but it does go through periods where it is worse or there more more of the same kinds of issues. Stacking the number of issues is enough to try people's patience. Also people grow weary after awhile. The fact that the issue was there didn't mean that people were going to tolerate it forever and as I said before, the average player now is not in the mood to struggle needlessly. It's a matter of convenience more than the fact that there are more free to play games. Time is a more precious commodity now. Why waste it trying to get PS to work on your system, or finding people that have a similar RP style when there are several more detailed games and less detailed games that work right after installation?

Further, the minecraft being the same is not the point I was getting at. There are several games out there that are more simple in graphics, mechanics, etc. and yet they are not only still very popular, they have more players than PS right now(even some simple MUDs). There are even buggy games which are still liked enough to where people keep struggling with them. However, PS is just unique enough that if you want to do a close comparison you can't compare it to other free to play MMOs either. No matter how you slice it, the reason for the drop lies on PS as a project and not other games.

I would easily play ADOM over PS and it's mechanics are geared towards gameplay I don't actually enjoy. However, the game has a charm that overcomes the heavy combat focus, the ascii graphics, and even the difficulty/learning curve(Which is much harder than PS). I'm afraid that PS's equivalent charm was always in the community more so than the game itself. When a large portion of the community gave up at the same time, PS's charm took a big hit. In turn, without the same charm it had to rely on the game itself and as you can see by the player count, that isn't enough now.

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2012, 09:42:12 pm »
When a large portion of the community gave up at the same time, PS's charm took a big hit. In turn, without the same charm it had to rely on the game itself and as you can see by the player count, that isn't enough now.

Easy fix! Get the leavers to come back!  \\o// The community is still here and charming, even if its not nearly as glories as it once was. But that can change if more people come back.
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2012, 10:24:07 pm »
My observations of PS do not stretch back to its glory days yet in the couple of years of game play here it has been possible to make some deductions of what may have happened to the player base.

My feeling is that back in the glory days PS was somewhat unique and the community thrived for that reason. Those of that era probably expected things to only get better in terms of enhancements that would aid in their RP. This did not seem to happen.

Instead of additions that would aid in RP; mechanics were added that supported grinding and more PvP styles of combat. This has left a game world that seems to reek in contradictions.

Just as an example only; and not meaning to make a value judgement on either approach; let's take combat.

To further RP and GMs' ability to support it; it would seem to me that a turn based combat system could have been evolved. At the very least a one hit combat ability that someone in RP combat could choose to make one swing using the game mechanics to calculate the outcome. Such an approach would have enhanced RP combat with the use of game mechanics.

Instead there is a PvP combat system that goes by so quick not a word can be uttered and logs need examination to see what exactly happened.

So using that as an example what has happened? There was a community which supported RP and development which did not grok what the community wanted. Meaning no offense; but after reviewing logs of Talad's RPing it floored me to find smiley faces in his dialogue. It is hard for me to imagine that he ever was an RPer in the sense of the what it means to the old school community.

Now there is the outer lure of this being an RP game world when in fact one finds it is something else completely.

Just for the record my style of play takes into account game mechanics; yet my preference would be that GMs would have the means to bring a more RPG style to the play. Things like the ability of the GMs to freeze time and provide turn sequences, etc..

It took me six months to grok what the community meant by RP and then another year and a half to realize that that is not what is being developed here. Sadly, neither is the style of game play that would be my preference.

Presently my game is that of a grinder; with the intent to max my main in those combat areas which she has been developing over the time here.

PS is not the RPG game that would have been my preference. It is not development that supports the RP style that the old school players want and the community is not the players that the dev team is developing the game mechanics for.

Could that explain the low player base?  :(

On a positive note, the dev team has given to the world a wonderful open source package which any of those diverging groups could pick up and turn into the game that each is really looking for. Until that happens, in my opinion, this debate of 'what happened to the player base' will roll on and on and on in these forums.

- Nova