Author Topic: Just a few pictures I drew when I was bored  (Read 13351 times)

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just a few pictures I drew when I was bored
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2013, 08:14:55 pm »
Hey Jilata! Of course I'm sure there can be many ways to portray any character and it's fun to compare different perspectives. In my picture, I meant for the setting to be quite dark for a more dramatic feel, not so much the character's mind set. Certainly not evil! There's also the possibility that some computers make the picture darker than intended. You should still be able to see some fur detail in even the darkest areas except maybe the lower part of the left arm. It also can be challenging to paint a completely black furred character and still give it form with shadow, highlight, and reflection without losing the impression that the real color is black.

My RP with Sacho often gave me the impression of him as a brooding character, which I also attempted to show through his examining look at the unknown liquid in the bottle and the presence of what were meant to be substances and weapons possibly discovered at a crime scene. I had more of the same feeling about the character through his part in the long running out-of-game RP story collaboration between Mariana, Miomo, Aramara, and some others where he was wrapped up with the task of looking after and helping a lady nolthrir recover from unknown poisons. A link was posted somewhere here. It was a fascinating story I enjoyed reading.

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2013, 09:07:43 am »

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 27, 2013, 02:25:54 am »
hey Jilata, I've just seen this:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/292/1/0/klyros_heads_by_tharisai-d5iairo.jpg
wow!

You found those drawings again? Liked to play with the idea :)

Hey Jilata! Of course I'm sure there can be many ways to portray any character and it's fun to compare different perspectives. In my picture, I meant for the setting to be quite dark for a more dramatic feel, not so much the character's mind set. Certainly not evil! [...]

Well, I've been thinking about that Dannae. Sure, it gives a dramatic feeling. But also the impression it gives is, that the character himself is evil or rather dark aligned. Especially with the mixture of alchemy tools and weapon, it looks like he is up to no good. Even if I know he isn't.
What I would change to get rid of that impression, I am not too sure about that. Maybe getting rid of the knife on the table. Or changing the weather outside from the stormy weather to a sunny one. With that you've got some light coming from the back, which can have some interesting changes.
Anyway. I still like your picture the way it is :)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 27, 2013, 03:07:54 am »
I didn't get a bad vibe from him at all. He seemed pleasant to me.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 27, 2013, 02:18:00 pm »
Well, my idea wasn't to make a happy scene or to show the character's alignments. Primarily I was focused on creating a dark, brooding scene with a bit of dramatic lighting which I also hoped Sacho would appreciate. As in real life, you can't judge a book by the cover or the character's traits by appearance alone. Even the nicest of characters can't escape bad weather or darkness.

I do understand, and appreciate your desire to make a picture that represents his character in a way you perceive and like to see him portrayed. You've done nicely there as to me he appears gentler and retrospective. As for the questionable proportions, it doesn't bother me so much. I do a lot of drawing and erasing at the sketching stage of my art until things look right to me. With enough patience, you can get good proportions by eye when using a reference.

I had a couple big cat references I referred to in my picture but didn't end up using them for proportion since the angle I wanted was made up. Mostly they helped me get a feel for how the fur grows and where the whiskers come out. Everything else just came out of my imagination on this one.

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2013, 02:22:47 am »
I guess that hits the nail on the head (if this saying exists in english), Dannae. I usually put the focus on the character, trying to show how I see that char, with alignment and everything else. If I draw surroundings, it is usually used to emphasize some parts of that. I guess I looked at the picture that way as well.

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2013, 04:08:33 am »
Boring work has some effect on creativity....

I tried to draw Oele a bit older. I think I got her how she might look like once she is 15 or so. She has grown and seems thinner than before and still hardly developed any feminine curves.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2013, 04:11:49 am »
Very nice  :D ... poor Oele looks sad  :'(

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2013, 05:44:01 am »
Unfortunately, the face turned out very flat. Shading may fix that a bit, but I believe the skull shape is just simplified, especially in the chin/cheek area.

But you could say it was meant this way, cartoonish on purpose.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2013, 01:48:58 am »
I didn't do any shading and I don't plan on doing any. It probably looks a bit like I did since I left all the light strokes I did first on the paper and added the strong strokes later.

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 16, 2013, 02:10:29 am »
Not exactly a drawing. But I did the pattern myself, so drawing was involved in the process....

Now Sulaika has a groffel of her own :)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 16, 2013, 03:51:43 am »
Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!  :love:

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2013, 06:41:46 am »
So that's why you wanted to see a groffel!  :love:

yourcharname

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:36 am »
holy moly that's cute, did you make it from felt?
also...would you happen to have made a pattern that's still floating around?

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2013, 01:09:39 pm »
Yes, it's made of felt. The height should be around 6 cm.

There is no existing pattern, but I thought of making one. I kept everything I need to make one. And you just gave me some more motivation to make one :)