Author Topic: New PlaneShift Release 0.5.6 !!  (Read 4649 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
New PlaneShift Release 0.5.6 !!
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:32:35 pm »
[news taken from main site]

The PlaneShift Team made it again! Another PlaneShift release is out: 0.5.6 !! We are very excited about this release because it's another step toward 0.6! A full distro package will be provided in the next days, in the meantime you can just use the updater. Here is a list of the main changes:

GUI:

* A huge amount of fixes and improvements to the windowing system (paws) and mouselook management
    * Improvements to weather support and fixed the option to disable weather in pslaunch.
    * Fixed some issues in the char selection/creation screens which could lead to bad graphics or crashes
    * Several fixes/optimizations/improvements to shaders and lights management.
    * First version (BETA!) of the HotBar/quickspell bar (you can open it by typing /show quickspell and remove it with /show quickspell off ) which allows you to drag and drop spells or items in the quickbar, then click on the icons to cast the spell or use the item
    * fixed a display issue which could show skills to be completely practically trained even if it wasn't so.
    * added a simple animation to pterosaur transportation load screens

Optimizations:

* major rewrite of several parts of the background loader, which now should be more stable and faster.
    * several optimizations, leak fixes and crash fixes

Quests and Factions:

* Major rework of the quests! In the past the quests were most likely one off and with little purpose. We decided to radically change the concept by creating chained series of quests with a purpose and where possible a story. So we looked at the quests we have in game and started to tie them together.
    * After char creation a friend's letter is now guiding you to the major NPCs, which will explain the associations and factions present in Hydlaa. Players can start to follow those trails and learn more about the associations/factions. This is the foundation of a complex social system based on jobs and affiliations that we continue to develop to create a more immersive roleplay experience.
    * Many new quests were added, and many reworked, reaching a grand total of 320 quests!! In particular a whole new set of Magic quests is present, allowing access to bracers, robes and wands items in the different Ways of magic! (for graphics associated to those items, see the art section)

Art:

* New Amdeneir tavern! Thanks Nikodemus and zweitholou for building it!
    * Added new female ynnwn wizard robe!
    * Made available all bracers through Way quests
    * Fixed many sounds for game areas, including gugrontid and the road to bronze doors
    * several improvements to sound management (including a startup crash when the sound system failed to init)
    * Improved sounds and graphical effects of many spells, including: crystal aura, invigoration, life infusion, relaxing sleep, flaming weapon, flame spire, and many more. Work is still under going to progressively improve/fix all of them.
    * Improved hydlaa grass, sky and trees

For GMs/Devs:

* expanded the scripting system in several ways for example quests can now use scripts also to give specific items, factions and money depending on variables passed to them allowing faster balancement changes in them. Additionally in mathscripts it's now possible to output messages.
    * Additional scripts used in crafting, which were before hardcoded in the sources, where now converted to math scripts. Making it easier for rules developers to change them.
    * complete rewrite of the adminmanager allowing a more generic targeting system and sane interface to gm and developers, also awarding anything to players uses a single functionality shared also in the manager of the events. expanded also killnpc to allow loading of new npc and runscript to allow more scripts to be run through it.
    * several expansions and expansions to npcclient to allow npc to do things not possible before like sitting, do emotes, teleport...

Others:

* pets will now follow automatically
    * added support to define what type of chats should be logged, in which file and with what prepended brackets (check chat - logs)
    * added support for a spell checker within the chat input using hunspell. It's disabled by default and it requires to be enabled by hand for now, and the dictionaries added in a dict folder inside your ps data folder. This feature is considered experimental and unstable (and could be not available on all platforms yet)
    * removed forceful removal in operating systems different than windows of the code which allowed the hardware mouse to be used

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
Re: New PlaneShift Release 0.5.6 !!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:05 pm »
Woohoo!! Nice job, guys, looking good so far!  :thumbup:
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:23:14 pm »
    * added support to define what type of chats should be logged, in which file and with what prepended brackets (check chat - logs)

Much thanks for bringing one of my long standing wishes to reality. No matter what the bad press may claim; the devs do listen!

Oh, all the other mods are great as well!   \\o//

- Nova

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 07:18:55 pm »
Its crashing when I try to connect to the server, is there any way to fix it?
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

Dracaeon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • KJ website
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 07:25:17 pm »
ROBES! \\o//  Also the Amden tavern.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 07:36:07 pm »
Finally, new items :)
Need to get my ATI fixed.................
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Qter

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:01:20 pm »
Yay! I was waiting for the spell checker so long! Thank you so much!  :thumbup:

Avathius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:46:52 pm »
Where do I download? I looked at the main download page and couldn't find it. And the stupid updater is crap.

Jebow

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:27:28 pm »
Yay! new version. However, on my linux system with openal, I get a constant clicking sound that never stops, as if I moused over or clicked on something in the game. any fix on that?

Jebow

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:18 pm »
nevermind, I figured out I could turn off interface sounds to stop the tapping noise.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:57:16 am »
@ Avathius:

An installer will probably be released "very soon".

And the updater should work, usually. At least after "Repair". If not, search our hundreds of threads posted already... then talk in #planeshift on the FreeNode IRC server. Many issues and solutions are already known.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:05 am »
The new quests are awesome!!!
Magic and magic items!! 
PS is moving on, ty dev team! \\o//

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 03:09:00 am »
Thanks so much for all the hard work, guys!  \\o// 
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:12 am »
WARNING! Bug report PS#4953

You can get stuck in the tower of the Amdeneir tavern. It is possible to climb the spiral stairs to the top through a roof, but you can't walk back down the same way.

I was able to get free though - by jumping onto this roof and to the left. So I went out through the wall and ended on the roof outside.

It is now also possible to leave the tower through the upper doors by right-clicking them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:09:06 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 04:52:51 am »
 :) Nice