Author Topic: In Game Rules Improvements!!  (Read 3405 times)

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: In Game Rules Improvements!!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »
Can it be that you just get very little practice since your skill is too high? Try some tougher opponents like maulberlords or elder gorweals.

Sikes

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 04:54:36 pm »
As a 'newbie' maybe i should not post here. but killing Guile (which takes me almost 20 minutes and always levels my crystal way and 1/2 azure way) doesn't give me enough PP to level either skill

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 06:07:29 pm »
Can it be that you just get very little practice since your skill is too high? Try some tougher opponents like maulberlords or elder gorweals.

I wouldn't mind that. But it should still say "You get some practice in axe" or something like that. But it doesn't say that. That means, I don't get any practice at all

Vankseal Serozan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 07:26:50 pm »
Nice improvements, sounds like skill progression has become more advanced and I look forward to seeing that play into things. Perhaps this will promote more skill specialization instead of being a jack of all weapons/trades so to speak. I look forward to new content and future balancing, keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 08:18:05 pm »
I wouldn't mind that. But it should still say "You get some practice in axe" or something like that. But it doesn't say that. That means, I don't get any practice at all

It can also mean that you get only a fraction of 1 practice point, and thus the system doesn't report it, until it accumulates to 1. At least you see the same story now with Progression Points (which have 200 exp points in 1 Progression Point). For many actions now you get less than 200 experience points, and thus only the fraction of the Progression Point, which is not reported. But when it adds up to 1 - it says that you got 1 Progression Point. Of course better to hear from the devs what's the case.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 03:02:00 am »
Went on a group hunt with a newer guildie tonight and it went pretty well. Once my shield levelled and my character was using two sabres the advancement did not seem as grave as my last posting. It is slower yet the group hunt was fun and we both advanced.

After further consideration, provided Magic gets finally balanced against straight combat, the change will probably be the best for PS and it's commitment to RP.

- Nova

Primordial

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 10:42:34 am »
These are very interesting changes. It's good to see big attempts to address balance and mechanics problems like this. At some point I'll have to get back in game - with the recent large changes I'm very interested.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 11:38:41 am »
Training "Musical Instrument" requires suddenly possibly 10x or 20x the PP per level. That means, I have to check by trial and error all the animals again which won't kill me before I get too few PP per kill to find it useful... and that's not really entertaining if a Consumer is already too dangerous for this character.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

sammyhundde

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 01:22:52 pm »
I try to reach the next lvl in ranged (52) but it is hard work. I shoot more than 1300 arrows now and i am only half the way to lvl up. On this way i will never reach a lvl to kill some stronger animal then a customer. Please check the changes that have been done on ranged.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 01:34:41 pm »
... and that's not really entertaining if a Consumer is already too dangerous for this character.

My observations have been that monsters that my character could kill before the changes can still be killed after... it just takes longer. Just like the characters, the mobs are not doing as much damage as they had done. So it will be generally safer than it had been before the change with mobs you had been comfortable with, in my opinion.

- Nova

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 04:50:42 am »
it should still say "You get some practice in axe" or something like that. But it doesn't say that.
I can confirm Jilata's observation: Sparring with some NPCs will result in a gain of practice, while fighting others won't help you to advance. I guess the threshold is related to the characters weapon skill ranks and the targets defense, such that you cannot simply pick one that has zero percent chance to block or dodge your blows. The more interesting question is: Will the amount of practice points gained per hit also depend on the target? This is somewhat difficult to recognize as a player, even if you make the stats window the size of your screen and watch the pixels of the progress bar. So can anyone confirm that? It would also make an explanation for sammyhundde's slow progress with bows.
I try to reach the next lvl in ranged (52) but it is hard work. I shoot more than 1300 arrows now and i am only half the way to lvl up.
Arrows are expensive in such amounts ;)

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 02:20:14 pm »
The more interesting question is: Will the amount of practice points gained per hit also depend on the target? This is somewhat difficult to recognize as a player, even if you make the stats window the size of your screen and watch the pixels of the progress bar. So can anyone confirm that?

That's why I proposed many times to add reporting of the practice point gain to the system messages. You get those reports for experience and progression points, so why not for practice? I don't see consistency in hiding them.

bilbous

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »
It is kind of redundant to report both experience and progression as they are just different denominations of the same thing. It is sort of like counting pennies and reporting both each one and every hundredth one.

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 11:22:46 am »
It is kind of redundant to report both experience and progression as they are just different denominations of the same thing. It is sort of like counting pennies and reporting both each one and every hundredth one.

What is the ratio? I've not seen it in a public document.

Oh, and while tweaks remain, it is nice to see gameplay issues being addressed. Compliments to the volunteers who make all this happen.

bilbous

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 11:51:27 am »
200 experience points = 1 progression point