Author Topic: Dev Q&A Jan 13th 2019  (Read 397 times)

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A Jan 13th 2019
« on: January 27, 2019, 03:58:37 pm »
Talad (Leader/Founder)
Eonwind (Rules)
Zunna (Rules/Settings)
Mordaan (Settings)
Venalan (Settings Lead)
Uadjet (GM Lead)
Emaline (GM Team)
Zweith (Prospect? Art?)

Uadjet says: Hi, and welcome to the Developer Q&A!
Uadjet says: Here you can hear about what the developers are working on and ask them questions.
Silak says: I can hear you fine Carahaij
Zweith says: I can give an update on what has been going on develpment wise
{Developer Q&A is now starting at the East Hydlaa Courthouse! Ask in gossip or send uadjet a tell if you need a teleport to the meeting.}
Mordaan says: I like starting with updates...it provides a conversation starter at least.
Silak says: Cheers on the rum
Zweith says: Ok, for guilds, everything is pretty much working in ue4 now
Uadjet says: Thought you could use it, the weather between Hydlaa and Ojaveda being so bad.
Zweith says: they are being tested currently
Zweith says: current;y Talad is streaming work on decals
Zweith says: it looks like we can pretty easily include decals on armor and clothing, and tattoos on faces, with options on size and color, in ue4
Zweith says: this is already roughly working on a test shield
>Thoss Yonbur takes a seat.
Zweith says: this will also be useful for adding more variety to cities and buildings, with puddles and posters available to be placed on surfaces visuall
Zweith says: Also, I have finished fixing road and sidewalk changes in the slums of amdeneir, and made progress on the upper quarter
Mordaan says: Will this mean we can finally have actual signs? Like "Arena this way -->"
Silak says: Graffiti forever ;-)
Damola ponders "Might even make it possible to customize clothing."
Zweith says: Yes Mordaan, this will be easy to include now
Uadjet says: Yeah, clothing too!
Chaon says: great!!
Mordaan says: Lots of possibilities there.
Chewaaud says: Tunics as well?
Damola smiles "Finally ladies can have their individual dresses."
Chaon says: so somewhat customizeable skinning?
Zweith says: it's a first step on customizing, but it will be nice to start having variety.
Stalfos ponders stealth clothing
Damola adds "Well once its ready and released."
Zweith says: also, some decals may be earned for completing quests, like religious emblems or combat schools in the arena
Gonger says: Stalfos, it will be fun to see you go stealth mode with that big chest. Or Chew with his bed.
Stalfos says: I will look like the chest
Damola giggles "That gives Uadjet more variety on quest rewards after he gave us a lot of stuff already."
Chewaaud says: I would like to have a bigger bed
Damola says: gm rewards that means
Uadjet says: Yes, plenty of opportunities for event mementos.
Damola says: event rewards yes
Zweith says: also, 2 new shields have been completed that can be crafted, the sunshine and shadow squadron games. These will be available in the current client, before the ue4 release
Venalan says: hi all
Venalan says: -should- be available in the current client
Damola says: Zweith, so these new shields are server side as I bet you do not plan another update of the old client?
Venalan says: :)
Zweith says: Ah, great venalan
Venalan says: there will have to be an art update to include the new assests
Venalan says: but no client code changes
Damola nods "I see."
Chaon says: Good
Uadjet says: Ooh, art updates are okay?
Venalan says: yeah
Uadjet fires up his To Do list.
Chaon says: lol
Zweith says: I think that's all the updates I have, but if anyone else has more?
Venalan says: so there will a new effect for GMs, and a new bench, a quiver
Venalan says: Uadjet, and others, new art items can be added into the old and new clients relativly easily. This version might just need to have lower quality items
Eonwindd says: Zunna has finished writing the 5 quests for Hammer & Maces academy
Eonwindd says: So after the testing stage it will be possible to release the 2nd Weapon Academy
Venalan says: I'm in the process of helping with that. It shouldnt be too much longer
Venalan says: Uadjet has given me another skills quest which will be out soon
Venalan says: so he is doing a smashing job writing all these
Chaon says: We are thankful for all the effort going into these quests.
Stalfos says: Very much so
Uadjet says: Thanks! The latest one will bring the total of new quests up to 8, which boost 7 skills. Still have some to go. I admit I did the ones I thought would be easiest first while I was learning the process.
Damola says: Thanks very much for all the quest writing
Chaon says: Bravo and encore Uadjet
Eonwindd says: Well after the update, if you have no questions for us, I have a question for you about skills progression.
Chaon says: Is it about removing caps someday?
Eonwindd says: there are no caps
Eonwindd says: excepet 200 and 400, and won't be removed for sure
>You spawned Leather Cap to your inventory.
Chaon says: that's not a mathmatical posibility right now?
Eonwindd says: not at all and it will never be as long as a minimum of balance is taken into account
Chaon says: Interestng
Uadjet says: Without a cap on stats we could have players doing...well, doing the kind of damage I do when I hit things. There's no way to balance that.
Eonwindd says: Just to explain a bit the answer, we are still in the process of completing the gameplay for all skills up to 100
Chaon says: I see. It's a question for later on then maybe.
Eonwindd says: we are not yet fully supporting a gameplay for skills well over 100 for every skill
Uadjet says: Jewelry Making has high level tasks though. As does Metallurgy.
Chaon says: With the port it's hard to put resources into completion. I understand.
Eonwindd says: and we're not yet offering challenges for maxed out or nearly maxed out characters. Imagine if we would remove any caps.
Chaon says: Those are great reasons for keeping caps for now.
Eonwindd says: There would be no way to offer slight challenges. Also one of the long term goal is to support groups made of low ranked and high ranked characters
Eonwindd says: This is not even possible without caps.
Chaon says: A
Gonger says: Well, luckily good RP does not depend on any skill levels.
Chaon says: Current progessions are linear right?
Silak says: no caps ... so that "godzilla" can fly thru the air feet first ... ;-)
Eonwindd says: yes but ideally one could use game mechanics to support roleplay
Chaon says: I like that concept of rolepay through game mechanics.
Chaon says: Sorry for going technical I was curious
Eonwindd says: No problem.
Eonwindd says: First question is: how many game hours (excluding roleplay) do you feel like are the right amount of time to raise a skill from rank 1 to 10?
Chaon says: It should be quick
Mordaan says: 1 to 10 should be pretty easy. 45 minutes maybe?
Stalfos says: 30 mins perhaps
Chaon says: so new players feel progress and can buy in
Stalfos says: Not so with repairing
Mordaan says: Though it depends on the kind of task and the resources needed...and the time it takes to get those resources
Eonwindd says: excluding time to get resources too (it cannot be computed I'm afraid)
Chaon says: well we can measure it
Gonger says: Yeah, first levels should be pretty fast, with level 10 already clearly harder than level 1, to make it clear that it will not go on just as easy.
Chaon says: it might take playing through some a / b testing
Thoss says: I'd say depends on how easy it is to get resources... I just finished the leathermaking quest... and have been chasing rats for days
Eonwindd says: resource gathering is excluded
Thoss says: Easy resources... slower progression... sparce resources... faster progression... early on.
Uadjet says: I think it's currently 23 minutes of actual skill usage to go from 0 to 10
Chaon says: on all skills?
Mordaan says: sounds good to me. :)
Damola would be surprised when it is just 23 minutes to raise magic way from 0 to 10
Damola says: Hi Emaline, so nice to see you.
Uadjet says: Yeah, some skills have much more down time than others.
Chaon says: 23 minutes of casting for a new character is difficult
Chaon says: limited mana
Carahaij says: well not all skills are equal
Eonwindd says: Second question is: how many game hours (excluding roleplay and resource gathering time) do you feel like are the right amount of time to raise a skill from rank 1 to 100?
Carahaij says: Magic for example is really tedious to begin with, but considering most meaningfull scale is from 1 to 100 i don't think its too bad
Stalfos says: 0 minutes for me to get crystal 20
Damola nods "I am not even sure whether all skills should have same speed to level, cause well mashing from fruit into pulp might just be easier to learn than casting spells."
Chaon says: good thought Damola
Emaline says: One would think realistically it would take time to learn spells and fully master them and memorize and concentrate and such.
Chaon says: there is no memorize, concentrate, or meditate method right now
Stalfos says: enemies can ruin your concentration
Emaline says: You might have to remember what two glyphs make what spells.
Damola smiles "Currently also playing Neverwinter Nights where spells can indeed be interrupted by attacks."
Eonwindd says: Hours, please :)
Chaon says: one skill right
Thoss says: 6
Chaon says: I wish I could plot this on a graph
Chaon says: It's hard to give an answer
Stalfos says: How's your drawing skill?
Chaon says: great when I'm using excel
Emaline says: Maybe you could post a topic about it on the forums Eonwindd? get everyones thoughts and perspectives.
Mordaan says: Just as a starting point, let's say you played 8 hours a day. A month, maybe? That would be about 250 hours.
Emaline says: I mean he's asking because he wants your input. Does it need to be changed?
Eonwindd says: that would be the next step
Damola says: Proably not as long as with magic currently. It takes *ages*.
Stalfos says: Repairs skills need to be faster, not to mention that repairing from 1 to 50 takes longer but no extra practice
Chaon says: The thought of natural progression by just using a skill is great but the progression curve has to be different for each based on the difference in requirements
Uadjet says: Repair skills are a nightmare to train, I admit.
Chaon says: Eonwindd some of this stuff may just have to be played through by testers
Uadjet says: But does anyone else have input on how many hours of gameplay it should take to raise a skill to a level like 50, 100, or 200?
Eonwindd says: ok, well I was going to ask about how many hours to get to 200. I guess it's not to easy to answer
Chaon says: for just one skill
Eonwindd says: yes
Eonwindd says: but if you feel like it sould take 200h to get 4 skills to X, go ahead and tell. I will do the math :)
Chaon says: In real life it takes 10000 hours to master a skill
Thoss says: What is the target? Average Player, or 8 hour a day player?
Chaon says: Average player please
Damola says: It would be good if players who cannot or do not play all day can max skills sufficiently fast as well
Chaon says: offline training
Emaline says: Quests.
Thoss says: If I play 1 hour a day, I might grind a skill for twenty minutes, then do rp and explore etc
Eonwindd says: I ask about hours exactly because it doesn't require to guess an 8h/day or 4h/day etc.
Emaline says: But also wanting to max a skill would encourage them to play more ;)
Chewaaud says: Repair skill is a true nightmare.
Silak says: Does it make any sense to factor in the level one has in similar skills to how fast you advance in a new skill ?
Chaon says: Good observation Silak
Stalfos says: Not so good if you want to try something different, switch your main magic way etc
Chaon says: well blacksmithing and jewelry making
Silak says: I was mostly thinking of a weapon change
Stalfos says: metallurgy and jewellery
Chaon says: related skills
Silak says: But that could be expanded with further analysis
Stalfos says: Yeah blacksmithing required by armour, shield, blade, mace making and so slows down each other
Eonwindd says: Well, for now we were not planning to make things harder for people with some skill already maxed out.
Thoss says: 20m would be 3 days per hour of grinding a specific skill... 10 hours of working a specific skill would then take a month. and no way average plays every day, call it two...
Carahaij says: imho the issue with training repairing and such isn't really it taking ages but rather the sheer amount of times you just change weapons and wait 20 secs and nothing else
Thoss says: does two months to level a skill to say 50 sound too much or not enough?
Stalfos says: Too much
Damola says: sounds like too much for me
Chaon says: How many hours a day does a casual player play?
Chewaaud laughs "Two months for skill at 50"
Eonwindd says: Depends on the player but I would say between 1 and 4
Thoss says: so if too long... then getting to 50 needs to take less than 10 hours of skill practice
Sacho says: I would guess a casual player would be between 1 to 3 hours, about three times a week.
Emaline says: A casual player would not care about maxing stats.
Chaon says: they might
Chaon says: they might stay for a long time
Emaline says: Then they would understand it will take them longer
Chaon says: there needs to be a sense of progression
Chaon says: without the sense of grinding work
Damola pretty much gave up with maxing stats with her current playing times and playing in events
Chaon says: how many hours a day do you play Damola?
Emaline says: overall she's been connected for almost 2500 hours.
Damola says: I currently mostly play on weekends, 4 hours maybe during GM event on saturdays, and 2-3 hours sundays
Carahaij says: honestly i dont think it's issue you cant be powerhouse of doom too easily, it shouldn't be too much of an issue that skill takes a lot to level
Chaon says: We want that 1 hour to 4 hour a day player
Damola says: I have been online way more often in previous times, but I bet as for leveling things, I just got bored, cause it takes so long once Damola advanced about 50 or 100 on a skill or magic way
Eonwindd says: a causal player may still have fun trying this and that even without getting any skill maxed out
Carahaij says: like rather than cutting the numbers again it would be better to think ways to make it more interactive, more engaging etc. things that matter
Damola says: and progression with stats is also slow, at least if you don't kill mobs usually as it does not fit your character very well
Chaon says: Uadjet is trying too get me drunk
Chewaaud tastes the hot buttered rum and thinks of having a keg of that stuff
Stalfos says: If casting spells was faster than enchanting that would be more fun
Damola ponders "Maybe GM events can not only give items, but also sometimes give skill or even stat advancement or PP"
Damola says: Just insanely much, but just to reward the RP during GM events.
Chewaaud says: Not stats, but maybe skills.
Silak says: Cheers on more rum \o/
Emaline says: well there are other ways to skill up now as well. quests and often GM events reward a few points here and there as well...granted it would take longer to max out if you were counting on events alone.
Damola says: No alone, but I think as a char participates in an event that char gains experience of some kind
Uadjet says: I do give skill levels when the event seems to call for it. I've been told PP are unnecessesary so many times I don't do it often anymore.
Damola says: currently this is often not reflected. Rarely Uadjet gave out some skill levels
Carahaij says: actually now that i remember i got a good idea that could be more engaging, simple really but it could stir some things up
Chewaaud says: PP are no issue. tria are no isse
Chewaaud says: PP are no issue. tria are no issue
Damola says: Okay, then maybe Damola is unusual, cause not gaining lots of PP by killing mobs (just 12943 spare PP currently which took ages to get through dusting gems)
Uadjet says: Heck, even I've got 1644793 pp and I don't train or quest as a GM!
Carahaij says: Maybe when people team up with higer ranking players, there could be like, 20% faster learning for the lower level players, or something. it doesnt need to be excactly this but generally idea of grouping up gives more xp
Stalfos says: You should be playing musical instrument while here
Emaline says: Depends on the mobs how much PP they give.
Chaon says: Interesting idea Carahaij
Chewaaud says: More group activity would be nice, yes.
Stalfos says: I don't think all mobs should plummet to 100, so eventually maulberlords give same as rats
Damola says: Maybe I should have Damola kill tons of grendols with ray of faith OOCly
Chaon says: Hey I've slaughtered herds of nauts for pps
Stalfos says: Cos IC you really like Grendols?
Emaline says: I think that's what a lot of people end up doing who want to level quickly
Damola says: nope, but Damola also has no business where Grendols are and usual only defends herself when needed
Stalfos says: Death Realm?
Emaline says: ICly it does not make a lot of sense for someone who burns and makes slop to suddenly the next day be making 300/300q cakes.
Damola says: also dungeons, but that is also a place where Damola just goes if she must
Silak says: Might the tribes process be more active in UE4 ?
Emaline says: Yes. NPC paths will work much better in UE4.
Chaon says: Eonwinnd I'm sorry if we've made a mess of your question.
Mordaan says: No more 90 degree turns? ;)
Silak says: That would help engagement a good deal
Damola says: well yes, are there any other news by the way?
Carahaij says: oh well im going sleep good night all
Chaon says: gnight
Damola says: Goodnight Carahaij
Eonwindd says: ok
Eonwindd says: well I think it's time to wrap up, it's well over end time :)
Uadjet says: Great work being done on Amdeneir.
Damola says: Okay.
Chewaaud says: Thank you guys.
Uadjet says: That deserves to be noted.
Damola says: Thanks for the news and yes, also the work done on Amdeneir
Eonwindd says: it really is
Chaon says: You guys are awesome
Uadjet says: I love the preview pirctures
Silak says: Good meeting \o/
Stalfos says: Very nice pics
Zweith says: Thanks everyone!
Eonwindd says: and on the characters as well
Thoss says: Thanks for the meeting!
Eonwindd says: the animation possibilities with UE4 are really exciting
>You're no longer in the healing rain.
Chaon says: yeah, I hope the server can stand up to 500 to 1000 online
Silak says: hehehe
Chewaaud packs his pack and walks off
Chaon says: it's going to be crazy when it launches
Chewaaud says: Bye all.
Eonwindd says: that depends on bandwidth
Stalfos says: I don't think the crafting tables can handle that
Chaon says: the interest in the project is driving new people already
Chaon says: so when we go live it will be nuts
Emaline says: Sidenote: if anyone wants to do a player event and needs help or assistiance Uadjet and I are more than willing to assist as little or much as you need.
Eonwindd says: in case of so many players (we hope for that) we should try to expand a bit the bandwidth/server
Uadjet says: I think having a Discord presence helps. Players can log in and get little bits of info on development. It shows the game is being actively worked on, which is always nice.
Chaon says: I've used discord before... Really glad we have it
Silak says: Yes stalls news is a downer
Silak says: * stale
Eonwindd says: Thanks to the GMs as well for their awesome work running events and helping out players and answering petitions!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:22:54 pm by Uadjet »