Author Topic: Death Realm......flight of fancy  (Read 529 times)

Imshi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Death Realm......flight of fancy
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:29:23 am »
A lot of players seem to want to fly, or levitate, in game. I must admit I\'m one of them. Obviously this would create serious game imbalance[levitate to a suitable height, equip missile weapon when available, and convert Ubernaut to porcupine], but there is presently one area that perfectly lends itself to it. The Death Realm may have been developed initially as a deterent but I hope will eventually offer much more. It is one of the most beautiful and atmospheric environments I\'ve come across. It feels almost disrespectful to charge through, sprinting back to spawn point of choice, perhaps pausing to guide someone.
The \"natural laws\" existing in the realm of life need not apply there. The inconvenience factor is small once you know it a little. Everybody goes there once in a while, quite often personally, not always through choice.
If implemented flight [levitation] could be an innate ability or artifact related, a quest could result in a ring/belt/cloak with the desired effect. Imagine mage duels above the inky chasms, especially as more ranged spells are introduced.
As to why.......[ can\'t just say \"I want\" ]......the place deserves it. \"Death is not the end\".
"I am in spectacular shape and my trousers fit quite nicely."

Levrus Dahrenn

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 11:25:42 am »
The Death Realm will grow and evolve to incredible proportions in the future :) It\'s an entire other realm, and will be home to both NPCs and players, should they choose to stay there. There will be quests, sacrifices, perhaps even riddles. There are big things planned.

But flight seems really out of place...
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Araye

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Enlightened
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 11:53:14 am »
I don\'t get this out of place thing.  If your character can fly, then it can.  You make that decision when you choose your character.  Who says they fly faster than another can run?  Only advantage would be that they could avoid fall damage.  But you don\'t have to let them fly for long as I\'m sure they would lose stamina quickly and they don\'t have to fly fast.  

If there was a tactical advantage to having flying characters, then one would make sure they had one or two in their party too.  It would add to the rp experience.

Differences are what make the game interesting.  It not being fair?  Life isn\'t fair.  Get over it.  Do you really think everyone will run out and make flying characters?  I don\'t think so.  I know I wouldn\'t, I like rp\'ing elves.

Araye

defender43

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 01:37:02 pm »
The Death Realm is no happy place. Demonic faces stare at you wherever you go. Dark, rickety catawalks are your only guide to the exit. Beneath, beside, and above you, nothing exists. It is only a pitch black void. You must watch your step, or you will fall into it, an abyss without end. No end, above, beneath, beside. You cannot \'live\' there. It is the netherworld. The land of the dead.

Flying is something you would do in a \"Heaven-realm\". DR is the opposite. It is a \"hell-realm\". Therefore, it would be very, very out-of-place.
\"Impossible is in the eye of the beholder.\" -- Laredo Silverspring.
\"Huh?\" -- Crimsonn Draycko.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 04:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Imshi
A lot of players seem to want to fly, or levitate, in game. I must admit I\'m one of them. Obviously this would create serious game imbalance[levitate to a suitable height, equip missile weapon when available, and convert Ubernaut to porcupine], but there is presently one area that perfectly lends itself to it.

It takes forever to kill an ubernaut using magic, and you can already stay out of reach simply by running away, or hiding behind an object.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Imshi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 05:03:05 am »
Thanks for the response. Delighted to discover that massive expansion for the Death Realm is planned. I agree that it is not, of itself, a happy place yet why should that preclude flight. In the Christian ethos winged angels are not Biblical but a medieval interpretation. Demons are also depicted with wings from the same sources. Those of you with long term knowledge of, and involvement with, the project must have a well formed picture of it\'s ultimate nature. I would still be interested to learn why flight would not be suitable.
Taking a tangent, I\'ve been thinking about a \"roving eye\" spell [ invisible camera projection sent forth to safely scout out/spy on areas ]. Not suitable for discussion here, I know, so I\'ll search and maybe post in the stealth/thievery section. This would give me something of what I would like to experience.
"I am in spectacular shape and my trousers fit quite nicely."

Levrus Dahrenn