Author Topic: Dev Q&A August 11th 2019  (Read 570 times)

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A August 11th 2019
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:42:46 pm »
Talad(Leader/Founder)
Eonwind(Rules)
Zunna (Rules/Settings)
Mordaan (Settings)
Venalan (Settings Lead)
Uadjet(GM Lead)
Emaline (GM Team)
Zweith (Art)

Uadjet says: Hello, and welcome to the Developer Q&A! Here you'll hear what the team is working on and you'll have a chance to ask the Devs or GMs any questions you have.
Uadjet says: On the stage today is Zweitholou, also know as Zwei or 'He whose name does not auto-complete on tab for some reason'.
Adamo tests and nods "Confirmed."
Uadjet says: He's the one doing all of the amazing art I talk about all of the time.
Zweitholou says: Haha, I didn't plan for it to do that
Uadjet says: Ah, and Mordaan as well, our friendly neighborhood Settings Developer.
Uadjet says: And I'm Uadjet, the GM who does the Saturday events and pokes my head in occasionally to make sure you lot haven't turned the game into Lord of the Flies (with Magic).
Uadjet says: If you have any questions, please line up at the podium just in front of the stage.
Adamo grins "I recently found something left over by the GM cleaning that might prove useful in the future."
Adamo looks at the knife and raises an eyebrow.
Uadjet says: Adamo? You have a question?
Adamo says: Well, I'd like to ask whether it would be something to implement some kind of other clothing than all the armor and the magical robes. Something like regular wear on a market or so.
Adamo grins "Of course this chain mail armor seems to look quite good on me."
Uadjet says: Each race/gender combo has it's own default look, which is regular clothing, there just isn't any variety in that. Well, Klyros just get loincloths and Kran are nekkid, but most have clothing in their default skin.
Adamo says: Well but with out any armor, Adamo just looks like this.
Uadjet says: If you're looking for variation in regular clothing that's really a question for Art. I do recall there being some talk about using Shaders to at least vary color, but I don't know enough to say how workable that is.
Adamo says: Which may be fitting in summer, but not in winter.
Adamo says: Well maybe it would be something after the Unreal port is out.
Silak says: Forgot the male ynwwn
Mordaan says: Nothing new will happen before we switch over to UE. Then we'll see what kind of new clothing options might be developed.
Adamo nods "I see."
Zweitholou says: I can chime in here. We will be looking at a way of changing the colors with a slider or similar for clothing to add more options, and beyond that we should eventually add other common place outfits. The tint change is dependant on unreal, but other clothing could be loaded into the current engine in the meantime.
Adamo looks to the knife "That does not belong in a court house, seriously" and takes it
Zweitholou says: However, it takes time to make the clothing, which is time that could be spent on the port right now.
Adamo shrugs "Apparently it does belong here."
Mordaan says: Ultimately we need artists to work on these things.
Uadjet says: Adamo tampers with evidence. Not good. ;)
Adamo nods to Zweitholou who should not be autocompleted "I see."
Adamo makes "Pah. Evidence. Who knows how long that knife has been here already."
Zweitholou says: I did recently make some clothing to get used to the new release of blender, which might could be implemented if I clean it up more.
>Item: Knife with item stats ID 548, item ID 168911954, and EID:37007, is at region guildsimple, position (-1.92, -1.41, 5.47) angle: 0 in sector: guildsimple, instance: 345, has flags: 'transient'
Adamo says: Nice.
>Uadjet greets Kaerli Stronwylle.
Zweitholou says: A hood, a cap, a mask, and a cape.
Adamo nods
Uadjet says: Any other questions?
>Yorlak Brainbare greets Kaerli Stronwylle.
Zweitholou says: If I find time here and there I might can also do a dress and decorative medieval headpiece
>Gonger Xaraha greets Kaerli Stronwylle.
Uadjet says: Rywanda?
Rywanda says: hello, its about crossbow, when they can be crafted or buy?
Adamo says: Great, Zwei!
>Rywanda greets Kaerli Stronwylle.
Uadjet says: Oh, I didn't think about crafting crossbows. Hmm. I don't know if there are any plans for that, but if not I could add it to my list of things to do. I remember where the ornate crossbows come from, but I can't recall where the regular ones can be found at the moment.
Uadjet says: No, not him.
Rywanda says: oh ok
Rywanda says: thx
Uadjet says: I'm working on spears and polearms at the moment, but if I finish on that I can try giving crossbows a shot. For now, I do know that ornate crossbows are dropped in game, and can be enchanted.
Uadjet says: Kaerli?
Kaerli says: Speaking of crafting...where does Ynnwn-compatible enchanted jewelery sit on The Big List?
Uadjet says: Good question. I'm not sure what materials would be most appropraite for that (exotic alloys? rare woods?) but it should be possible. Settings or Rules would have the say on how those would be made. Adding them in after that shouldn't be too hard.
Uadjet says: I don't know where they are on the list, though.
Kaerli says: OK. just making sure that that didn't get forgotten about :)
Uadjet says: I could bring an NPC into the market on occasion. A wood carver, maybe could transfer enchantments.
Kaerli says: yeah, that could work
Uadjet says: Ooh, found an image of black walnut wood that looks amazing.
Uadjet says: So yeah, I could do something temporary like that until a more permanent solution can be worked into the game for crafting.
Adamo says: Nice and AFAIK there is black walnut in game already, so would be fitting.
Uadjet says: Yeah, that's why I googled it. We have apple trees too. And lime trees that are just renamed potted plants. ;)
Uadjet says: Gonger?
Gonger says: Greetings.
Adamo makes "Oh, I did not know the part about potted plants."
Gonger says: Any idea about the next live stream?
Zweitholou says: I'm not sure when the next one will be. I might try doing a few on the art side as well.
Uadjet says: Ooh, that would be nice.
Adamo says: That would be nice.
Adamo says: Seeing how it looks in Unreal client walking around in Amdeneir would be awesome.
Adamo says: Zwei you said there won't be any changes to PlaneShift anymore before Unreal port comes out. But quests could still be updated or added to or items as well as long as they do not require new graphics. Is there nothing planned to add some small new stuff before the big Unreal thing comes out?
Adamo says: Oh couse quests and so could also be done by Uadjet and others, so it would not delay the work on graphics or the necessary coding work
Mordaan says: Yeah, quests is one of the few things that can still be added. That's all engine side.
Adamo nods "I see."
Adamo says: Just playing with this char since a short while and… I found quests for new chars seems to have been added to quite a lot since I last played through them years ago.
Uadjet says: Quests can be done for sure, and items that don't require new art. Any new art would require a downloaded update, and I'm not sure if doing one before the switch would be a good idea. Depends on how long it'll be, I suppose.
Uadjet says: Kaerli?
Mordaan says: Yeah, what's the quest count these days? I don't think that's any kind of spoiler. Over 400?
Kaerli says: Oh, BTW: if you're taking suggestions about weapons to add for UE Uadjet: a rapier would be a nice addition to the PS sword collection :)
Uadjet says: Oh yeah. Definitely over.
Adamo says: If that is the case, then this char already completed one tenth of the quests.
Uadjet says: And not just the total count, as players can now do over 400 quests on one character.
Mordaan says: :)
Adamo says: Ah, more than 400 then. Quite something.
Uadjet says: That reminds me to poke people about a new achievement.
Mordaan says: I don't remember what my main char had. At least 325 maybe.
Uadjet says: There are an amazing number of quests.
Uadjet says: And a rapier would be fun. Lighter than a sabre. Not sure when I'd get to it though.
Adamo giggles "There could be an achievement for all chars that were played in pre-unreal release :)"
Uadjet says: But back to quests, I have a few waiting to be loaded and tested. The total is two leatherworking quests, four lockpicking quests, a body development quest, and four armor skill quests that I'm still working on. They're quick though, so I'm hoping to get them done today.
Uadjet says: And yeah, Adamo, that's a totally valid achiement. We already have them for different engine version.
Mordaan says: Good work, Uadjet
Adamo says: And a > 400 quest award
Adamo says: Nice work, Uadjet.
Zweitholou says: Yeah, nicely done on all the Quests Uadjet
Mordaan says: Hmm, I wonder it that would mean another ring, like the Ring of the Past.
Uadjet says: I was hoping to get a little more done in the last two weeks, but real life intruded a bit.
Uadjet says: Ooh, a ring!
Uadjet says: Or some other little token. That would be perfect.
Uadjet says: I didn't get any of the art done for quarterstaves/spears/polearms, but I did get a lot of spreadsheet work completed.
Mordaan says: Yeah, a ring has been done. Maybe an amulet of the past. :)
Uadjet says: I've got the basic stats for each of the component items for those things done, including descriptions, weights, and so forth.
Uadjet says: It wasn't too bad. Just have to figure out what happens to each item if quenched to the three different heating levels, and then what happens for each of those if it's quenched or hammered.
Uadjet says: Got all that done.
Uadjet says: I'm just waiting on the combines and the steps after that until I have the items made in Blender, as I'm sure I'll look at some spear and think it needs something extra.
Zweitholou says: Maybe I can do a streaming series making the amulet of the past from scratch :)
Mordaan says: Still a long way from done, though. I imagine after that will come books and accompanying quests to get them?
Uadjet says: Yeah. The books I have no idea how to do as there is no template on the GM pages.
Uadjet says: But the... 500 or so lines of transforms I have should make that a bit easier.
Mordaan says: Well, the books are generated from what's in the spreadsheets. So the spreadsheet stuff is the main work. It's just a matter of formatting it correctly.
Uadjet says: They're all done in the format | Shape | Doodad | (into) Whatchamacallit| (using) Preparation Table | (with a) Snorkle |, which I think should be useful.
Mordaan says: Just gotta get it from the spreadsheet into the engine. Eonwindd should be able to help with that.
Mordaan says: If you can track him down. :)
Uadjet says: Oh, have to fill out the y/n columns for Gives Practice and Quality Change, but those won't take long at all.
Adamo says: I have another little Q. My new character is registered directly with an email address made for him. But my first character uses my RL mail address. Is it possible to change the mail address a char was registered with? Or does it create a kind of a new crater due to an eclipse with azure energy or so?
Uadjet says: It's possible, we just have to track down Talad to do it.
Adamo nods "Okay… that makes it a little less likely to happen anytime soon."
Uadjet says: You can file a petition on that account, giving the new email address that you want to use.
Adamo says: Well, but I keep that in mind. It is not urgent anyway.
Adamo says: Okay, will do
Uadjet says: If it's a privacy thing, other players can't see that address and the GMs/Devs would never use that info. We really don't even look at email addresses, as it's very rare we email players.
Adamo nods "Yes. SO I can use a different mail address when giving other players and email address they could send a groffel too when the char is not logged in… so does not really matter all that much."
Adamo says: *and => an
Uadjet says: Absolutely.
Mordaan says: My email address is so old, the domain disappeared and eventually came back!
Adamo says: :)
Uadjet says: I think that's it from my update. 11 new quests on the way, once I get the armor ones done. And next meeting should have plenty of graphics progress. Any other updates? Any other questions?
Adamo says: Luckily I am in full control of the mail server and domains.
Adamo wonders what Zwei worked on.
Adamo says: aside from the clothing parts.
Gonger says: I will be on holiday in a couple of weeks, so the Unofficial PR Team will be back in action. All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Uadjet says: I'll see if I can get a few new weapon screenshots for you.
Uadjet says: Should have some spears 'done' by then, I hope.
Zweitholou says: Getting familiar with the new blender and making those clothing items are all i have this time, was busy irl for the last few weeks. However, I should have a bigger update in 2 weeks now that I'm back in the saddle.
Uadjet says: Doing the quarterstaves first, as they're going to be easier. Found some good tutorials for wood and metal materials too, so I won't have to fumble around in GIMP with the textures.
Adamo nods "Okay. Thank you a lot for your work. I appreciate it. The work you did in Amdeneir is awesome."
Zweitholou says: Thanks! I enjoy doing it and having other people enjoy it.
Zweitholou says: Uadjet, I'll be happy to help with any questions you come across art wise.
Uadjet says: Thanks!
Uadjet says: Well, if nobody else has anything to add...
Uadjet pauses and looks around the room.
Uadjet is still pausing.
Uadjet says: Then I think we can bring the meeting to a close. Hopefully by next meeting we'll have more updates for you all.
Adamo nods "The hour is over, yes."
Uadjet says: Thank you for coming to the meeting, and see you all later!
Adamo says: Thank you very much Zwei and Uadjet. And also to Mordaan for being here with us to regularily.
Mordaan says: It's the only time I join planeshift these days. :P
Uadjet says: Yes, there were meetings in teh past when only GMs showed up, so it's awesome having devs here.
Adamo says: still you are here.
Mordaan says: Thanks for coming! Bye!
Adamo says: See you.
Adamo says: With this or with another char.
Gonger says: Thanks for the great work.

{And I left that info dump about the knife in here on purpose. It may not be the most interesting glimpse behind the curtain, but I thought someone might find it interesting what information we get when the use /info on an item. We get more info on players and a ton of info on NPCs.}

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Q&A August 11th 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 02:09:33 pm »
Thanks for doing those transcripts, Uadjet.
Love,
Damola