Author Topic: [Community] What should an NPC know the answer too. Community KA additions.  (Read 2090 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
I was questing the other day and needed to find Grimal. He wasn't in his usual spot, so I asked the NPC's close to him "Where's Grimal?"  just to see if this would work. I mean hey, they've been standing together for the last 10 years or so, so they should at least know who he is, right? Sure enough, I got a blanket answer to the effect of "I know a lot of things, but not everything." or something like that... 

While it might not be practical and reliable for an NPC to be able to tell you where another NPC went or is headed to, a better blanket answer would be one that at least acknowledges the NPC.

Here's an example:

"Where's Grimal?"

[NPC checks to see if Grimal is reachable with target command]
if not:   "Grimal? I'm not sure. He was here earlier today. Try back later.
if so:    "My buddeh Grimal? Can't be far, he was here a second ago."  /shout "Yo Grimal!"

Just a thought.

--edit---

Oh, you know what would be awesome? Imagine the above scenario. Next,  NPC1 /shouts for NPC2. If NPC2 is within /shout range, he yells back something like "I'll be there in a minute!" and then runs to NPC1!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:09:33 pm by Rigwyn »

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
I believe complex interactions like this were planned with NPC movement, but it was with the last series of devs before I joined. This would only be possible with a series of code additions so I would not expect it to happen any time soon. But, I imagine it could be an expansion of the NPC tribe system or part of some AI additions.

However having NPCs able to answer about people that they stand next to day after day, sure, that can be added.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
I believe complex interactions like this were planned with NPC movement, but it was with the last series of devs before I joined. This would only be possible with a series of code additions so I would not expect it to happen any time soon. But, I imagine it could be an expansion of the NPC tribe system or part of some AI additions.

However having NPCs able to answer about people that they stand next to day after day, sure, that can be added.

Technically it's already possible to run an NPC behavior starting from a KA response, like having the NPC to go back home. The question is how to make it plausible and not endlessly exploitable (like having players commanding NPCs at their whim :) ).

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Cooks should know "about food association". Players will know this term only after their introduction quests. So they may answer with some hints where to find other members.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Trankin does not understand when I ask him "about Mirra". But according to a certain quest, he should.

And he tells me that there are two races of dwarves in Yliakum.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
there was 2 races, stonebreakers and hammerwielders, but inter-marriage has made them one with 2 clans. ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:12:44 pm by cdmoreland »

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
@ Ligh, good idea I'll add it to the list of things to add.

@ Minks I spent ages looking for that response you mentioned but finally found it, it was in a section of KAscripts I hadn't noticed before. I'll get that fixed for the next mirror.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Minks' suggestion, and your reply Venalan-
Everyone who has a relationship to a named character (npc or just settings) might want to at least know their name.  I asked several "are you married?" or "who is your husband (wife)"= they all claim they know a lot of things, but not that..."

The meat market lady... the emporium couple, the leather workers, Bevon...
but I understand too, that it's a thin line between knowing your son-wife-husband-uncle-mother-adopted child's name and offering too many spoilers...
RR
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Gosh, I am already long enough active to know almost all important NPC names...

the emporium couple
Rinna & Boralis Voladrand

the leather workers
Gayla & Jeyarp Grotemey

The meat market lady...
:o There is a "meat market"?! I have to start asking NPCs again...  :-[

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Rolara Hammersong I believe.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Thanks for the "help" you guys... I know all the npc names, just didn't want to give spoilers  :surrender:  sigh  :surrender:

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
There is no quest with rewards, so there is no spoiler in explaining possibly missing Knowledge Areas, Roled. :)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
more KA suggestions please
Benack Yasoj should know who Celila YAsoj is, and vice versa
and Chired Idellal should not say she's not a trainer I think
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:10:57 am by Roled »

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
All trainers now know what they train and will be released in the next update.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem