Author Topic: Should derived stats pe protected from the curse?  (Read 271 times)

bilbous

Should derived stats pe protected from the curse?
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:57 am »
It strikes me as unfair that low level characters can lose abilities under Dakkru's curse. A beginner mage will commonly lose all their mana points due to the base stats being reduced too much. I do not have a problem with those stats being reduced generally but think it would be better if the mana pool was halved instead of being eliminated completely.

Take Gnuton Fossy for example. Uncursed he has 55 mana in his pool. With the curse he has 0.

Does this sound like how it should be? not to me.

My thoughts on this are not clear, it just seems wrong to me.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Should derived stats pe protected from the curse?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:13:50 pm »
I think the very same question has been asked earlier, but i don't remember if there was any consensus. I don't see the reason for the mana offset in the first place, as we don't have that with health or either stamina type. Maybe if the offset is ditched the mana points per attribute can take "nicer" values. *shrug*

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
Jees, I sure hope it wasn't me that brought this up before. It very well could have been.

Perhaps adding enchanted dust to your diet could give a permanent floor to your mana level.

I personally think that nobody should have 0 mana in such an enchanting world.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 05:07:10 pm »
Folks, its a curse and generally speaking, curses suck.

If they take the suck out of the curse, then you'll need to call it something else. 

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 05:40:12 pm »
Tell me Rigwyn, how does a mage character deserve a worse curse than a fighter character? Are there any combat skills that become completely useless due to stat diminishment? Does armor fall off a character because he no longer has the strength to wear it? Are there weapons that become unusable as a class because a characters hit points are too low?

I have to admit, I haven't noticed such things due to not playing low level characters too often, but if you lose your mana you are no longer a mage.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:33 pm »

Meh.. the universe is not "fair", rather, "fair" is a man made concept used for tactical purposes.

ie.

Hey, he has a crayon and I don't. That's not "fair"... therefore, somebody owes me a goddamn crayon!

Without the "fairness" argument, I could not bully my way into demanding that crayon.

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 11:52:13 pm »
I did think that game balance was something desirable. Perhaps I'm missing the forest....

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 12:52:31 am »
Nah, I'm just being a pain in the ass, that's all.

TheAuthor

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 06:07:52 am »
Could the effects on strength be limited? Last time I had to wait (sit) for 30 minutes because I couldn't walk the 5m to Harnquist.

bilbous

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 07:18:12 am »
you can sell a bunch of stuff to the death guardian in the death realm to get you down to 1/2 encumbrance so that doesn't happen. Or you can ask passersby for a spell or potion to get you back on your feet. Worst comes to worst you can jettison something.

jowifi

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 05:55:10 pm »
Worst comes to worst you can jettison something.

And since  (last I checked) dropped stuff remains guarded, you don't really have to worry about someone stealing it while you put stuff  in storage to lighten your load.  There have been times I've had to make a couple trips to get everything stored and I've never had a problem with stuff being taken.

Edit:  I just did a quick test and stuff becomes unguarded if you get too far away from it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:32:13 pm by jowifi »