Author Topic: Regonizing new players  (Read 319 times)

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
Regonizing new players
« on: December 14, 2016, 03:55:44 am »
 One thing crossed my mind when someone posted youtube review of PS in forums: How about making a label in online list that tells who are the newest players? This way, it's easier for older players to see who are new and who might need help to be introducted to the world of PS. I have seen same feature in other RP game and i think it works well.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Regonizing new players
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:48:13 am »
Not every newly created character belongs to an inexperienced player...

A good indicator to ^re-cog-nize^ a new player used to be the character description; they often contain only the default char-generation statistics until the player learns to customize their characters' descriptions, including the OOC tab. And some rather old characters have typical exceptions from the default content. But to discover them, you would have to meet the character in the world. Labeling them as new in e.g. the "/who" list ... leaves some doubts for me.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 06:44:13 am »
Also let's try to preserve the new players privacy. Some may not like to be marked as "newbie" with a great sign on their head.
I think the idea behind the request is noble, but maybe the best solution is still to try to take an eye on new characters around and meet them with a RP greetings.
Also the tutorial area has been opened to senior players to allow them to greet an help newcomers.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 08:11:55 am »
Yes, you do have valid points i was concerned about aswell, but i have seen the very same feature deployed in other games and it seemed to work perfectly fine...well game communities are different. also LigH, i wasn't meaning that the label is with all new chars, rather with new profiles.But if you think it's best not to have this, then so be it.

Now that i  remember, the same game had feature which tells when players enters the game first time, that would be actually better feature and shouldn't be too privacy breaking, any thoughts about it?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:58:44 am »
I thought PS used to have a system like this with name color that changed over time.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 06:13:04 pm »
The lack of armor on new characters might be a starting point.  :P

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 08:08:31 pm »
Well there is some folks who don't use armor on daily basis because, well, not everyone is a fighter (unless things have chanced)

Aeghiss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Hopefully my English grammar is flawless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 05:21:24 pm »
Well there is some folks who don't use armor on daily basis because, well, not everyone is a fighter (unless things have chanced)
As a male Ynnwn I always wear leather armor... Else I'm half naked. ^^"
Aeghiss Rubinhertz, Ynnwn student at the University of Yliakum.
Melodria Palir, Enkidukai would-be Graalahkam-maarhe.