Author Topic: about content of death realm  (Read 683 times)

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
about content of death realm
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:08:27 pm »
First of, i know this has been discussed many times before and that the Death Realm isn't supposed to be a nice place that gives people stuff, but like, maybe adding some more pwerfull and horrifying monsters there? The current mobs over there feel a bit lame.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: about content of death realm
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 02:16:27 pm »
Honestly, I think the DR is one of the few places in game that needs an honest to goodness expansion. Maybe it will be better if there is more elbow room and places that the mobs look like they fit in with.

Tobara

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 03:40:36 pm »
It also needs more hidden nooks and crannies for RP. Maybe an abandoned campsite? With some bones scattered about for effect...

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:06:25 am »
If I may say so, there are some hidden nooks and crannies. Any renovation of the place however must keep in mind that anyone, especially new to the game, having found themselves in the death realm are probably devastated enough as it is wothout having to fight their way back to the land of the living.

That said, I have often fallen down (often more or less intentionally, trying to reach some nook or cranny  ;D) only to find myself crashing against some black void. It would have been nice, and more in line with the place's character, had I been devoured by some hideous hell-spawn or seared in boiling lava instead. Just an idea...  :devil:

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 12:31:16 pm »
Personally, i would prefer it wouldn't be lava, but sole hellish black liquid would be awesome.(thought then again, lag). Also Mig, the point of DR isn't to be user friendly but a punishment. In my opinion, death should be overseen, current dwath is too friendly.

Tidebringer

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • A wanderer at heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 12:52:47 am »
From what I remember, the Death Realm is supposed to be vast, dark, and... strange. Part of the strangeness comes from weird shifts in gravity which happen from time to time or in certain areas. Personally, I think that would be really fun to have.

Perhaps having some tricky passages that take you in a loop if you go one way but not the other, though this would be trickier and potentially a bit too frustrating. Along the same strain, maybe having hallways that seem to extend on and on for one direction, but really don't? These wouldn't be lore, though, as I recall.

I'd like to see layers to the Death Realm, too. Deeper, darker levels that you can get to, perhaps by making use of the weird gravity shifts or of stairways or ladders or portals and such.

Now, this is a bit more off topic but going to connect back to a layered Death Realm. A character can't enter the Death Realm for the first 15 hours, but what if there's some enthusiastic Dark Way mage wanting to join the Dark Circle, or some devout Dakkruist who wishes to gaze upon the Dark Crystal and read the scriptures in the Citadel's library?

Not at all sure how doable this would be, and as such it is solely a concept. What if when a character went to the Death Realm was not based on hours in game, but rather it was a percentage chance that increased every time they died?

There would be multiple spawn points in the Death Realm, perhaps one or two in each layer, and the upper layer(s) would be for those who have died either for the first time or barely at all. The upper layer(s) would be much closer to the exit(s), so that the souls newer to the Death Realm had a better chance of getting out.

The lower levels would be reserved for those who die more often, making it so that if you die more, you risk ending up in darker, deeper, likely more dangerous and stranger layers of the Death Realm. Perhaps each layer would get slightly larger going down, and there could be shortcuts one might be able to find to help get them to the exit faster.

Naturally the layers would only go so deep, and the lowest would be the bottom of the Death Realm. This bottom could have a slight variety of terrain, perhaps including a large lake of some dark, mayhaps dangerous liquid; a shoreline of this lake; some barren plains; and who knows what else?

Like I said, just a concept, and I don't expect this anytime soon. :beta:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:01:12 am by Tidebringer »
Buy some goods, sell some bads, at the Weekly Hydlaa Market!
You might know me as Fesara Fuhay: Herbalist, Scribe, and Aspiring Healer ;)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 10:49:24 am »
[
[Blurb]

So basically Dante's Inferno? Playing with the duality of Yliakum as a stalactite would be a nice idea, and for the Death Realm it's inverted - a stalactite you have to climb, and the more you die (read, the more Dakkru wants you), the lower down you start. It's not bad, even if currently it's undoable because of the manpower needed.

If this were a procedurally generated game, I guess you could be asked what your character fears the most when you create them, and along their life you can change their fears, so that when you die you go to your own personal "hell" as if to say, before facing Dakkru and praying to her so that she'll let you exit her realm.

While the whole portal back to the living world at the end of a labyrinth is not a bad idea, I think it's cheap and easy. I suppose to prove that you're devout, fearful of the gods, and/or at least you respect them, you could be faced with a Servant of Dakkru that would ask you for quests, or riddles, and if you failed you'd die and go back to the start. But, it's just an idea.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 12:09:03 pm »
I think making the death realm a hellscape is a bit too cliche just like Diaboli being devils. Technically both are born out of unique lore.

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 07:58:48 am »
Dakkruist here.

DR shouldn`t be nice but shouldn`t be imbalanced either (for all of you old tankgods out there).
Some quests, like the door puzzles in caves, will do. Something like changing gravity could be nice, though may be not that easy to implement technically speaking.
There also was an idea of s set of different maps in the DR, where the player would be teleported.
Speaking of procedural generation, an exit that spawns in different places in every map each time a player enters DR, would be hardcore enough.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 06:47:54 pm »
A simple change could be handling natural deaths in a different way to suicides: Anyone voluntarily dying should not be treated in the same way. Dakru heals whoever dies of wounds etc, but anyone using /die deserves closer scrutiny.

Perhaps spawning at a different, "inner circle" place for Dakru's devout, but then being required to do a quest, e.g solve a riddle, in order to prove their allegiance before being allowed to return to the normal pathways of the dead, and eventually the world of the living.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:02:10 pm »
For me, this just presents more questions:

Should one's experience in the death realm be subjective? If it's subjective, meaning it's different for each person, or for each circumstance that leads to death, then you may have a consistency problem when a group of people are down there for various reasons.

What's the reason for moving the exit around or making it harder to leave?
- is it to discourage ooc behaviour? ( ie. using the dr as a shortcut or dr sickness as a training boost )
- is it to bring the dr more inline with the ic description of the dr?
- will this negatively impact fairly new players ( new enough to go to dr )
- does implementing these challenges actually solve the problems that are intended to be addressed?
- do the proposed changes make the game more fun for those playing it? ( * notice the last 4 words here. "Fun for those making the changes" is not the same as "Fun for those playing the game" )

Personally, I think it would be nice to see an underworld that's as large and strange as the upper world, though that might not be practical given the tiny player base - especially, since there are no automatic maps like most other games.

Mazes and puzzles are nice, but do you really want to force a player to participate in some ooc puzzle just to move from the death realm to the upper world? That sounds more frustrating than fun to me and kind of unnatural or ooc.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:31 pm »
A simple change could be handling natural deaths in a different way to suicides: Anyone voluntarily dying should not be treated in the same way. Dakru heals whoever dies of wounds etc, but anyone using /die deserves closer scrutiny.

Where do suicides by ulbernaut or paragliding fail fall?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Nebulus

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 11:31:35 am »
Considering the whole of the Diaboli race supposedly migrated to the DR to live out the rest of their existence,I always thought that eventually there would be like a town,or settlement down at the bottom. With some of their pet giant snake friends slithering around here and there.

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 12:51:56 pm »

Where do suicides by ulbernaut or paragliding fail fall?

In the tragic accident category?

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 05:44:03 pm »
Nice idea about the Diaboli town.
DONT TREAD ON ME