Author Topic: Entering the Death Realm  (Read 390 times)

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
Entering the Death Realm
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:13:36 pm »
One thing i have been wondering is entering the death realm. Obvious way to accomplish this is to, well, kill yourself obviously. But when thinking about it, killing oneself is really demanding task and not everyone can accomplish that. But there's numerous reasons folks might want to enter DR (both IC and OOC), so i was left wondering if there's a way to enter the realm of death without actually dying or killing themselves? Like, creating magical portal to get there or something. I can't remember details of the lore enough and too lazy to check so i'm not sure if lore answered this question or not.

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Re: Entering the Death Realm
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 03:28:33 am »
The event of dying is the portal.

From a story perspective, think of something like the tale of Ali Baba.  Then, think of what that story would be like if Ali Baba had a Hole in his pocket — a portable Hole.
The difficulties and the distance between the DR and most everywhere else is like a large plot of edible crops:  more difficult to maintain and to harvest, but it will last you longer and with larger meals during the cold winter months. 
Often, people will seek to lessen distances so as to avoid tedium or to increase product at the end of the journey.  When designing “games”, you seek to provide opportunity to explore and to experience — not to diminish them.  Imagine what the Oregon Trail would be like if you used the PDX cheatcode every time.

That's the simple stuff.  If you want a more thorough, game-designer's analysis of your concern and how to address it in relations with users, I can be hired at a daily rate. X-/

P.S. i meant the tone of this reply to be jocular, not demeaning! :flowers:
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 03:46:30 pm »
canned that's a doylist answer.

my watsonian answer:
in my own head-canon there are ways to get to the death realm without dying. but, they have costs greater than death.

i think some of previous generations of lore there may have been mention of such but i don't immediately recall. the other thing to keep in mind is that the game isn't complete yet(tm). so there probably will be something... with suitable levels of effort to make the journey.

may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:51 am »
I agree, making a short cut is bad for the story as it lessens what the death realm is.

Read the dark way books. They contain information on how to summon, invoke and evoke the dead,shadows and demons. Why die if you can just get a minion to do your bidding?

Likewise, if dark way is ooc for your character then collaborate with a dark way mage or dakkruist.

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:00:15 am »
I agree, making a short cut is bad for the story as it lessens what the death realm is.
The idea wasn't to be shortcut, rather, actually way more harder way to enter death realm.