Author Topic: ridiculously armored mobs  (Read 1413 times)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: ridiculously armored mobs
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 09:21:48 am »
I don't see why folks have to get all up in arms about stuff. This is not finalized we're working on it and we know the armor is too tough.

What would be nice to see is rigorous testing of the mobs with more scientific approach than "I can't kill stuff, this is lame" So please, add commentary with some information that will help us fix the issue.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:28:45 am by Xillix Queen of Fools »

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 09:30:28 am »
no u
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:38 am »
A dagger is a very lethal weapon for killing anything. The point of the skill is that you know how to use it effectively to kill your prey.

anything? let's examine that.
a whale?
well that is a bit big.
how about a walrus, which is about the same scale as a consumer? really think you would take on a walrus with a dagger, or even two of them regardless of how skilled you are?

may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 11:07:17 am »
Depends how fast you are to thrust the Dagger into the walrus' brain ;) All monsters are to my knowledge killable with magic. But another thing is weapons. Max Axe (150), max stats, Q250 SBAs does not work on Neoten Consumers or Maulberlords. It also has little to microscopic effect Queen Tloke, Vilenaut and Imago Consumer. This was 2 days ago so if it's already been readjusted, nvm :)
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Barike

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 12:06:49 pm »
A dagger is a very lethal weapon for killing anything. The point of the skill is that you know how to use it effectively to kill your prey.

anything? let's examine that.
a whale?
well that is a bit big.
how about a walrus, which is about the same scale as a consumer? really think you would take on a walrus with a dagger, or even two of them regardless of how skilled you are?

Yes, let us examine that. A dagger would be able to kill a whale thank you very much! Daggers as implemented in PlaneShift are not the 4 inch blades that we have today and call daggers. Daggers from the medieval time period that PS is loosely based off of were over a foot long if not up to 20 inches. How would that not kill a whale when you have flickable speed and have spent months to years training? A dagger that is kept sharp can cut through just as much stuff as a sword, granted you don't have the long arm range, but so what?

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 12:44:39 pm »
I love how instead of helping to get some metrics to fix the actual problem, you get side-tracked by a discussion of whether you can kill a freakin whale with a dagger...

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 02:42:26 pm »
I love how instead of helping to get some metrics to fix the actual problem, you get side-tracked by a discussion of whether you can kill a freakin whale with a dagger...

;D

I don't see why folks have to get all up in arms about stuff. This is not finalized we're working on it and we know the armor is too tough.

What would be nice to see is rigorous testing of the mobs with more scientific approach than "I can't kill stuff, this is lame" So please, add commentary with some information that will help us fix the issue.

I don't know what you mean, But the rogues near the Arena has their armor too high, we can't hit each other at all.
EDIT: Also, if you want people to attack monsters in groups, a boss monster would be a good idea ^_^
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:47:52 pm by Falcon Avian »

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:08 pm »

I highly appreciate a challenging deer to hunt.
We need some mobs with spelll resistance.

I am looking forward to the day that antimagic or other ways to reduce spell damage are implemented and the effect of different weapon classes on certain armor (/fur/carapace) types gets more important and transparent. This will make fighting mobs much more interesting.

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 06:21:48 pm »

it srs bsns zillix

srsly, next time you're confronted a buy a whale you'll be glad you read this thread :|
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 09:35:31 pm »
you can't kill a whale with a frookn dagger. even if you did get a foot long blade into it, there would be minimal damage done and you would probably drown if you kept at it. you'd need harpoons. many harpoons.

Zon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Roving Raiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »
I don't know what you mean, But the rogues near the Arena has their armor too high, we can't hit each other at all.
EDIT: Also, if you want people to attack monsters in groups, a boss monster would be a good idea ^_^

1 million HP. 20 damage each swing :) I would love that

EStripus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 11:43:53 am »
@ Weltall and Xillix: I apologize that this thread has strayed from my original point. I was simply trying to point out that those of us with high weapon training levels 70+ are not able to do any damage to the mobs that we had priorly been able to kill with good strategy/dodging techniques.  My thread was not intended to discuss the RL effectiveness of a weapon that has already been deemed (by developers) to be a legitimate lethal weapon against IG mobs. I was also hoping for the devs to see that it is unfriendly to gamers that had spent a lot of time and tria to make a character highly proficient with a weapon to have it appear that the weapon category has become obsolete.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:51:30 am by EStripus »
Don't godmod me and we'll get along fine.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
We need specifics.

What are your relevant skills?
-armor
-weapon
-weapon quality

Where is the mob?
-/pos of mob
-what area

How does combat with this mob go?
-logs from system

How is the loot?
-seems fair y/n?

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 12:36:27 pm »
I did not die yet when fighting a mob yet although I killed a lot of mobs with names including "vile", "lord", "maulber" and "ulber". However I changed tactics from using weapons only to using a combination of weapons and magic. Now that relaxing sleep is working (again), you can even kill some of those mobs using magic without wasting potions. I admit that my character's skills are quite high, but maybe changing tactics might work for lower level characters, too.

Additionally, it is possible to kill stronger mobs when using a good timing and aggressive stance (is also good training for duelling).

I remember that when I started playing, people grouped to go for an "Ulber hunt". It was more fun than grinding the same mob alone all over. Of course there are always a lot of drinks at tavern after a stressing hunt ;)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 12:47:50 pm »
This thread is now getting locked in favor of more practical methods of granting feedback listed here: http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=36866.0