Author Topic: Get out there and RP more!  (Read 7175 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Get out there and RP more!
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:58:57 pm »

As you can see from the screenshots above, this was a nice crowd gathered at Kada's one night. We were drinking and talking (all RP of course) and had a really nice time. There is still lots of good RP out there, you just gotta not be afraid to branch out and RP with new people. I didn't know most of the people in the group but I had a really fun time RPing with them. And this wasn't a prearranged get together either. It started with Telnavi laughing talking, and sharing her liquor samples and one by one people came and joined the table. After awhile, there were 10 people standing around talking and having a good time.

Don't be afraid to branch out and interact with new people. You never know what good RP you might find. And remember there's more to RP than RPing with the person your character loves and the person your character hates.  ;) There are many shades of friendliness and not every conflict involves chasing someone down.  :)

Oh and never underestimate a good RP conversation piece... or maybe it was just because liquor loosens people up.  ;D

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Get out there and RP more!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:12:30 pm »
I haven't had a good rp in a while... :( I got so bored I decided to grind until I find one...

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Lhaa

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:44:10 pm »
Well... it's easy to believe ten people gathered along quickly. When there is no decent RP at all going on, with any spark of it people is attracted like flies to the... yeah. ;)
Most of those heading into the tavern with weapons drawn may have never seen it before. I'm sure that day gossip experimented a revolution: "What, there are freaks in the tavern talking weird?" - "Oh yep, I saw that once." - "And you liked?" - "No I ran away yelling 'Gay coward... Accept my challenge like a man!'"
If you do this every day chances are they''ll get bored and go back to doing whatever-the-heck quest they have pending for the next super-duper-dinosauric-uber-mount, because not having it makes you a noob. You should know better. ;)
And in the end, it's no fun if nobody dies.

PS: Murder, kidnapping, torture and explicit suffering are PG13. But Truth or Dare is X-rated. XD

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »
Seems a fair chunk of us RPers have been bogged down.

I do hope to get more ingame time soon. My current great project, for the benefit of you all, is almost finished.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 11:20:38 pm »

As you can see from the screenshots above, this was a nice crowd gathered at Kada's one night. We were drinking and talking (all RP of course) and had a really nice time. There is still lots of good RP out there, you just gotta not be afraid to branch out and RP with new people. I didn't know most of the people in the group but I had a really fun time RPing with them. And this wasn't a prearranged get together either. It started with Telnavi laughing talking, and sharing her liquor samples and one by one people came and joined the table. After awhile, there were 10 people standing around talking and having a good time.

Don't be afraid to branch out and interact with new people. You never know what good RP you might find. And remember there's more to RP than RPing with the person your character loves and the person your character hates.  ;) There are many shades of friendliness and not every conflict involves chasing someone down.  :)

Oh and never underestimate a good RP conversation piece... or maybe it was just because liquor loosens people up.  ;D

yay! I will!

Well... it's easy to believe ten people gathered along quickly. When there is no decent RP at all going on, with any spark of it people is attracted like flies to the... yeah. ;)
Most of those heading into the tavern with weapons drawn may have never seen it before. I'm sure that day gossip experimented a revolution: "What, there are freaks in the tavern talking weird?" - "Oh yep, I saw that once." - "And you liked?" - "No I ran away yelling 'Gay coward... Accept my challenge like a man!'"
If you do this every day chances are they''ll get bored and go back to doing whatever-the-heck quest they have pending for the next super-duper-dinosauric-uber-mount, because not having it makes you a noob. You should know better. ;)

PS: Murder, kidnapping, torture and explicit suffering are PG13. But Truth or Dare is X-rated. XD

right-o ol' chap

Seems a fair chunk of us RPers have been bogged down.

I do hope to get more ingame time soon. My current great project, for the benefit of you all, is almost finished.

lol?

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 02:37:32 am »

why is it everything i've seen you say is so negative?, your like vakachek but smarter and less annoying
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Lhaa

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 02:55:24 am »
your like vakachek but smarter and less annoying

Mean.
That was a really low blow, even if the name is misspelled.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 02:58:38 am »
He did say you're smart and not as annoying...

Aiwendil

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 09:32:42 am »

Don't be afraid to branch out and interact with new people. You never know what good RP you might find. And remember there's more to RP than RPing with the person your character loves and the person your character hates.  Wink There are many shades of friendliness and not every conflict involves chasing someone down.
Sorry, Illysia...I don't get it. Still a lot RP out there? Where? Obviously even you think it's worth posting that people can have fun, gathering in a small group in Kada El's for some conversation. Not to long ago nobody would have even thought about posting something like this...you always could have that in Kada El's in the evening. Just go there and you could be sure to meet someone to RP with. But I don't have to tell you...you know this pretty well. Also I don't understand why people keep on saying that it is important to get in contact with new people. This is also something that was always like this and I don't know anyone who doesn't do this. People usually refuse to play with others they know already and expect to mess up, not with players they have no clue about. Having fun with others doesn't depend on them starting each line with "/me" or good English. It depends more on reasonable characters and the ability to make a difference between IC and OOC. (Sure, this is not entirely true...if you know a guild will take everything in guild channel IC and reacts to a help call of a member there by sending the whole guild to aid it's also understandable that people avoid members of that guild even if they don't know them. But that's nothing against the player but against the better known players around him/her.) So sorry, but in the end I can only take this post as a proof that there isn't any RP going on in PS...or if there is any RP then it's an exception.

Oh and never underestimate a good RP conversation piece... or maybe it was just because liquor loosens people up.
The idea behind the RCD...it was not to teach others Roleplaying even if I have no problem in doing so (Okay, I have a little problem there as I think I am not the right one to teach others...I'm not really a good Roleplayer). The RCD was there to give Roleplayers a last safe harbor where we ensure that disruptions are kept at a minimum. Sure, we had to do the OSP event each month, but that was not as important for me. The daily RP there was what made the RCD fun for me. The RCD was founded at a time where it was already clear that RP is about to disappear from PS...so in a way my (and others) last desperate efforts to prevent this. Obviously it failed epically.

I haven't had a good rp in a while... Sad I got so bored I decided to grind until I find one...
Awww..I wish I could have a piece of your optimism...do you really think you will ever stop grinding again?

Come on, you know how Americans are...you show them a nipple and they are blinded. ;) That Europeans take the violence issue more serious isn't important...

I do hope to get more in-game time soon. My current great project, for the benefit of you all, is almost finished.
Sorry Akkaido, as long as your current project isn't some book written by Akkaido to be published in game or something alike it won't help RP a bit...sure, not saying it doesn't benefit the players, but it won't do anything for RP. No offline-buddylist, gui modification, improvement to game mechanics, mounts, NPC-voice chat, new maps, new items or new monsters will help Roleplay in PS. Not saying it doesn't help the game...only that it's not what is going to improve the amount and quality of roleplay. Fine we had a peak of more than 100 players when mounts were introduced. And how long did it last? Two weeks? Three? Did the mounts make any player stay and roleplay now? The only way to help roleplay in my view is taking part in it. Also GM events in their limited form are not helping. They are merely a distraction for players who don't want to get involved in anything deeper and to get some shinies. GM events are not prepared in game. All they are is a story that take place without any previous hints in game that this will happen. They are not a in game reaction to a conference of Enkidukai claiming to get rid of the unlawful activities in Ojaveda or a marriage proposal resulting from years of roleplaying finding a suited husband. None of the characters played by GMs in an event have a background formed by interacting in game and none of those chars have any bonds to the current other chars. It's just not possible to do this with the requirement that every GM event must be approved by settings and should require as less improvisation as possible. And please don't get me wrong...GMs are important for the game. They just should stop claiming their events are great examples of RP and that they improve RP in the game. Joining the GM team for sure doesn't do anything good for RP...in fact quite the opposite, it takes another player away from roleplay. (And have fun contradicting me by saying that GMs still play ordinary chars...but please have a look before how often this happens and if you don't just login because you know that something is going on that requires your char.)

why is it everything i've seen you say is so negative?
Because you don't play long enough to know the more positive posts? Because there isn't much positive to say in the last year? Because some people had to go through all the crap of a leader of a organization hunting down criminals to get the bounty jumping all around in Kada El's and challenging everyone to a duel right next to the guards.

So in the end my opinion is that if you want a game with decent roleplay better look for it somewhere else. You won't find it in Planeshift. Here you don't even get the settings infos needed for roleplaying as they are the most precious that is to be protected from the evil players. What you will find here is game that surely improves by adding more monsters, professions and items. But that's not what makes it a good roleplay game. And watching the development over the last years it doesn't look for me as it is intended to be game for roleplaying. Roleplaying is tolerated..nothing more. Wanted are people who think that the only way to have a real IC experience is playing in first camera mode and only do what the game mechanics allow you. PS has no place for creativity...at least not for players. If you are creative join settings and write stuff that will never be seen in public just for the amusement of the other settings members.

Dracaeon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • KJ website
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 01:23:06 pm »
 :'( :'( :'( I feel sad now.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 01:53:54 pm »
Just got back from hospital - and this thread is soo sad!  I rarely have problems with finding good RP.. or even starting it myself.  I just love it!
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 02:18:31 pm »
I know some RP'rs are still out there playing even though many of us still have different schedules. I also know that there are alot of people that can't play anymore due to irl issues or technical issues, but those of us who can still play need to start organizing some events or something, because not many people are in game anymore and perhaps if we do that other RP's for our characters can be sparked by events, or we can even find new people who catch interest in RPing. I try and RP as much as possible, I even find myself RPing when completely alone  ;D. I hope that people can get back into the game soon and that we can have some conflict, love, or friendship between characters, because the amount of RP in game right now is sad, and I have huge trouble finding people who aren't training or are afk. I hope now that there is a new trailer for the game new players will come. I'm open to teach new players how to RP by putting them in uncomfortable IC situations [With the assistance of some OOC brackets and tips of course.] I believe that sticking to our characters and being able to find new people will spur more rp.

(Okay, I have a little problem there as I think I am not the right one to teach others...I'm not really a good Roleplayer).

Um...are you kidding? Your a great RPer imo, so that excuse should go out of the window.  ;)

Glad to hear stuff like this is still happening. I remember this is the way most RP started up. I hardly ever see anybody in Kada-El's anymore, but this proves that finding one person, even if you don't know them, that you can have a jolly good time, and more can too.

I haven't had a good rp in a while... :( I got so bored I decided to grind until I find one...

Most of the time try not to find a rp. Start a rp. Like Illysia said don't be afraid to branch out and interact with new people.

Just got back from hospital - and this thread is soo sad!  I rarely have problems with finding good RP.. or even starting it myself.  I just love it!

Glad to hear that. I do have trouble finding RP, but I've begun to start it out myself like you said. The love of rp I'm sure many of us have is why I believe that it has not died or gone away.  :D

-sig by sarras

Lhaa

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 02:28:20 pm »
Quote from: Aiwendil
Not to long ago nobody would have even thought about posting something like this
Obviously you must post it nowadays. If there's nothing going on at all, it's understandable that a meeting in Kada El's is quite an event. Even more with ten people around, in fact I'm surprised there were so many people online at the same time up to use the chatbox. This is just the last (last? maybe not... ;) ) step of the downhill; it was first posting every event as if it was a big deal of RP, now it's already posting just that there is RP. I guess the next step is posting about how somebody managed to talk IC about an OOC quest or the greatness of those who can even sheath their weapons in town as if it was a great achievement. Everything is better than nothing. ;)

Quote from: Aiwendil
Obviously it failed epically.
The RCO failed simply because nobody cared. Well, they did, at least enough to say they do, then mostly do nothing about it. Very few people were up to help us and to be honest, we shouldn't be surprised about that. It's much easier to sit and wait for others to give you the fun than providing it yourself, even if it's not so fun for you then. In the end it was our mistake to believe something as big could be done in PS. If simple PL guilds fail all the time (let alone RP ones...), something like the RCO with its structure and needs was meant to fail from the start.

Quote from: Akkaido Kivikar
for the benefit of you all
For sure not mine. Or did you mean for Talad's benefit? I thought so.
But if you have doubts about your contributions just feel free to ask Xillix and UtM about it, since it's obvious neither you or Xoel (wait, did I relate those names? no idea why...) will listen to me. ;)

He did say you're smart and not as annoying...
He compared me to Vackachehk. That's not accurate, insulting, and finally, foolish.
But I took it with a smile. Just another sign of how easily things are forgotten and how few of the people that knows me is still around. ;)

Just got back from hospital
That's good news. ^_^'
Hope your recovery is going fine as expected!

Quote from: Geoni
I'm open to teach new players how to RP
Ok, to be a bit constructive, you will likely be the only one. Get them out of gossip before they think that's the main tab.
Newbies won't ever learn how to RP as long as that channel is all they know. Main is not necessary anymore and if when I joined I could have got everything I wanted from everywhere else I probably would have never even checked main, thus never got interested about those freaks talking stupidity in emotes. ;)

Finally, Aiwendil, I'm just amazed at your patience explaining what we already said so many times and never managed to get through. Too bad I can't feel like spending so much time in it. At least in this side it feels like it's already too late. Whether it is too late for me or the whole community is something I wouldn't dare answer to. But my posts will have to do with shorter, pungent words most of the time. o/

Edit: Fixed misplaced quotes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:47:48 pm by Lhaa »

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 03:23:34 pm »
Now, I'll admit, I'm not on PS a whole lot any more, and when I am it's pretty much to stay in touch with the people I used to RP with. I miss PS, but when I log back in, I end up either hiding or grinding, and exchanging OOC tells meanwhile. Thus, I am part of the problem. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it - RP communities die, people move on; I've been dealing with that for the eight or so years of roleplaying I have under my belt. So maybe I'm not the best person to give her two cents, but I'll give them anyway.

When I first joined, I noticed the RP seemed to go in cycles of there being a whole bunch of it, everyone being relatively open to meeting new people and RPing with them (and the quality varying wildly from good RP to epic tavern fights where everyone has inexplicably glowing body parts and lorebreaking spells and abilities - when I've been on it's been so deloate, RP-wise, that I even miss those. Ugh.), and then the RP getting cliquey (*cough* I am guilty of getting cliquey, too.) and people coming here and complaining that it's dead. Even though it wasn't really; it can just be hard to get into the cliques. That's a whole other dead horse to beat, though.

Somewhere along the line, the cycle got broken, RP didn't quite die but is just hanging on by a thread, the clique I had has mostly quit and I'm on other games and writing and stuff, I'm rambling obnoxiously, aren't I?--And now I poke my head in to find people going "HEY LOOK I ROLEPLAYED!!!" instead of "BAWW RP IS DEAD!!!"

So, what do we do to "revive" RP? Precisely what the title says. "Get out there and roleplay". Go to the tavern. Start a player-run event. Give your character goals they'll need the help of others to fulfill. Make some goodie-two-shoes-noble-hero types to get after the dark-and-spooky-mass-murderer-types. Or vice versa, if we're lacking in the latter. I don't even know the situation these days; it's sounding like we have neither. And throw in some normal folk for balance's sake. Dust off an old character; with all the new players they'll be something fresh for those and maybe they'll bring a few oldbies back in. But whatever you do, don't stop roleplaying like most people evidently have.

P.S. - *Smacks Aiwendil* You're a great roleplayer, now shut up and RP.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 03:25:40 pm by Candy »
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 03:33:39 pm »
i've never had trouble with this.

rather, i think the problem is that people are trying to find rp. you don't find rp. you roleplay. it's actually a verb, not a noun. the noun is roleplayING. it's something you do, not find.

i don't find camp. i camp.

i don't find ski. i ski.

i don't find wash dishes. i wash the dishes.

duh