Author Topic: Model Texture Problem for v5.9.1 on OSX 10.6.8  (Read 688 times)

Dralion1221

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Model Texture Problem for v5.9.1 on OSX 10.6.8
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:54:23 pm »
Don't mind me, it's only been a year since I've last touched Planeshift.  :whistling:

Alright alright, so I've kinda missed Planeshift. Want to give it another shot just for fun really. Miss all the roleplaying.

Of course I don't get in that easily. Downloaded a fresh client off the site and onto my Macbook. Just letting you know I very recently just updated it to 10.6. Everything is going pretty smoothly until I come to character creation. I started clicking on the different races and all the models appear, but without textures! I have gone through the pslaunch and lowered most of the settings, but that seemed to make it worsen as only a few parts of the models were visible. Higher settings make the models visible but they are completely smooth and are some random colors (blue, green, pink). I read in the readme file about some computers having problems with texture compressions but when I went to edit the file, it seems to be locked on readme only so I can't edit it. Not sure if it has to do with my problem though.

I have GMA X3100 so that shouldn't be the problem.

I appreciate all the help that can be given as I am eager to restart my adventures in Planeshift :) Tinwei is coming back of course! Oh and hi to any old friends and acquaintances out there and greetings to everyone new!

Dralion1221

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Re: Model Texture Problem for v5.9.1 on OSX 10.6.8
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:58:32 am »
Hmm, perhaps I should've posted this in the topic about bugs before entering the game? I noticed not many of the support people use Mac so I guessed it's hard to solve something like this.

Here's what I meant when I said the models would load but not the textures. I realize that could be a bit of an unclear statement. Linked to save space.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/Dragonheart1221/Untitled2.png
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/Dragonheart1221/Untitled.png

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:59:40 am »
No panic. Noses are pushed on this topic... Looks like a shader issue, so I believe people with some graphic hardware experience may offer good advices. I don't have much of that; switching to the "rlcompat" renderer might look a bit better, but probably won't be a final solution. I have a suspicion that your graphic driver might not support DXTC texture compression, due to the lack of textures, but the colors instead of lighting levels give an impression that there is even more about it, possibly not well supported OpenGL 2.0 features.

BTW: \\o// Wibble!
__

Oh, textures appear well on the podium walls. So it's rather the model-specific lighting shader.
__

You could try disabling GLSL.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 11:40:15 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Moja Aere

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • TheOne Guild Info
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:00:10 pm »
I'm on OS X 10.6.8 too and I hadn't this kind of issue creating my character.
Really I have no clue about the reason BUT if I can help just checkin' settings and/or configuration (macbooks' or client's), well, just tell me and I'll check as soon as I can!

Dralion1221

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

Tried this and it crashed the client before it could finish loading. Deleted the line and reopened the client...may have made it worse?

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy20/Dragonheart1221/Untitled3.png

Perhaps this will help? It's a big chart that compares graphic drivers and computer software combinations against various features of OpenGL. Someone with knowledge about how PS uses the OpenGL could take a look at it and compare the X3100 drivers. I apologize if I think wrong.
https://developer.apple.com/graphicsimaging/opengl/capabilities/GLInfo_1068.html

And thanks for the wibbles LigH, didn't mean to sound kinda pushy. Just eager to get back into the game :)

@Moja, are your graphic drivers different or the same? Might narrow the problem down unless this happens to be a very specific issue to my computer. Also mine is just a plain MacBook that's two years old. Hope that's not a factor though, not really willing to go buy a new computer heh.

Moja Aere

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • TheOne Guild Info
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:54 pm »
@Moja, are your graphic drivers different or the same?
well, they're different: I've GeForce 9400M (in the chart that you linked, yours are in lilac lines, mine in green ones... but I think I don't know what that means... hope someone else will :) !)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 03:48:34 pm »
The colors are just separating the manufacturers (green = Nvidia, "mauve" = intel).

"mauve" is related to a skit by Loriot about a private bomb shelter, available in different colors, one was "mauve" = a pale lilac

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:00 am »

Tried this and it crashed the client before it could finish loading. Deleted the line and reopened the client...may have made it worse?

it may be a good idea to clear the shadercache after changing that setting - from my experience not doing so and changing that setting may cause crashes/corrupt the cached shaders

Dralion1221

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 06:56:20 pm »
it may be a good idea to clear the shadercache after changing that setting - from my experience not doing so and changing that setting may cause crashes/corrupt the cached shaders

Oh I see, now everything loads fine (albeit with some lag but I'll live with that). Thanks for the help guys :)