Author Topic: v 0.5.9 Unplayable  (Read 1710 times)

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: v 0.5.9 Unplayable
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 02:09:00 am »
Don't give up on all of us. There are people willing to help. Just maybe not with a Mac...

@ Jawir: Thank you for your suggestion which I have tried. Unfortunately with no success though (besides having all in italien  ::) )

Sorry, I forgotten that little detail!  :P :P

iriss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 06:49:54 am »
If you have 0.5.8 and 0.5.9 installed, you may try to copy the art/meshes.zip , mataerials.zip world.zip from your 0.5.9 to your 0.5.8 install, and run 0.5.8 to see if that is better or not. Then try viceversa with 0.5.9. This can tell you if it's the new psclient application to be the problem or if it's the new art.

I copied the 0.5.8 zip's to 0.5.9 with no change.
Doing so vica versa crashes 0.5.8
The problem might be in the client then? Or shaders? Haven't they been changed from one version to the other?

@ Jawir: No problem, now I know where you come from ;-)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:51:32 am by iriss »
Have loads of fun with Planeshift!

Ithwaynn

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 07:16:52 am »
Maybe I'm asking a dumb question here but have you repaired the disk and disk permissions recently? Sure all your software and drivers are up to the date?

iriss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 03:34:15 pm »
Yes, all software is uptodate and no changes were made to my OSX Settings. All still remaines the same as before.

Ithwaynn

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 07:06:29 pm »

What you mean by "no change" there? I assume you mean the same performance problems arise. If this is the case means it's not the new art itself to give you problems, but potentially other changes to Planeshift client (example shaders definitions) or CS itself.

Now keeping 0.5.8 art into 0.5.9 :

1) Check how much free ram you  have when PS is running. I see you have 4Gb total, but I need to know how much is free.
2) Check if the lag happens only on large maps, or also on small ones (like a guildhouse). Or try to find any other recurring pattern, example: lag only when many chars are on screen, or many objects, or large maps, or reflections, ...
3) try to copy data/shaders and/or data/shader-snippets from 0.5.8 to 0.5.9 . If it doesn't crash (may be completely incompatible) check which perfs you have with that, and we may be able to identify what's the problem.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:09:35 pm by Talad »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 10:05:13 am »
Maps which should have only little rendering delay are certainly the underground areas (sewers, dungeon, arena tunnel) where you have only a very limited visible area, a low number of visible polygons. But the minimal complex map is already the "podium" in the character selection. If even that part is incredibly slow for you, then it seems that your graphic drivers are not hardware accellerated, as if your OpenGL drivers only work in some software emulation mode. If that is true, then you will probably need help from really experienced Apple users who know how to analyze your situation and know optimal drivers.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 01:41:23 pm »
Oh, Talad has given me another idea! Beside the free ram amount check also, in your activity monitor, if psclient process seems to freeze when you experience the issue.
A frozen process appears in red in your activity monitor.

iriss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »

What you mean by "no change" there? I assume you mean the same performance problems arise. If this is the case means it's not the new art itself to give you problems, but potentially other changes to Planeshift client (example shaders definitions) or CS itself.

Now keeping 0.5.8 art into 0.5.9 :

1) Check how much free ram you  have when PS is running. I see you have 4Gb total, but I need to know how much is free.
2) Check if the lag happens only on large maps, or also on small ones (like a guildhouse). Or try to find any other recurring pattern, example: lag only when many chars are on screen, or many objects, or large maps, or reflections, ...
3) try to copy data/shaders and/or data/shader-snippets from 0.5.8 to 0.5.9 . If it doesn't crash (may be completely incompatible) check which perfs you have with that, and we may be able to identify what's the problem.

I copied the 0.5.8 zip's to 0.5.9 with no change, meaning same bad performance when copying the art.

RAM:
Currently PS 0.5.9 takes between 1,7 GB and 2 GB of RAM depending where on the Map I am. Meaning that when in Hydlaa, I have about 1 GB of free RAM left. The rest is taken by 760 GB other active system usage and 240 GB of wired and inactive.
Hydlaa is the worst to go to - meaning greatest lag besides Ojaveda.
All this makes me wonder how v 0.5.8 was running quite smooth on my initial 2 GB RAM before I upgraded to 4 GB. Btw. v0.5.8 is taking the same amount of RAM when I measured it just now, only that it has less lag. 

Copy data/shaders and/or data/shader-snippets from 0.5.8 to 0.5.9:
0.5.8 shaders are not compatible with 0.5.9 since PS crashes without even starting.

Oh, Talad has given me another idea! Beside the free ram amount check also, in your activity monitor, if psclient process seems to freeze when you experience the issue.
A frozen process appears in red in your activity monitor.

No, PS does not freeze, it just eats RAM!   :o

Ithwaynn

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 12:56:01 pm »
Ok, if PS eats ram, you have a choice!  :sorcerer:
Close all the useless process, even a web browser if open while playing. I noticed that firefox, most of the time keeps aorund 200 MB of ram, and this depends on how many tabs you open. Then, if you use an antivirus, like "clam", you'll notice the daemon clamd uses around 108 MB of ram. After all this "killing", open your terminal and type the command "purge". This will free all the wired ram, and this is a good amount, it depends on how much activities you did before playing. Keep in mind that "purge" will frees the ram used to cache data, so after some time you'll see again wired ram, but now, if you just played with PS, it's only PS related data, and this is used by the os to speed up the process to gather data: it will use the ram instead your hard disk.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 02:31:26 pm »
If already the "podium" turns in a slideshow speed, I doubt the RAM is the reason.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

iriss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 11:51:07 am »
If already the "podium" turns in a slideshow speed, I doubt the RAM is the reason.

I am glad you say so, I was a bit worried. But since 0.5.8 runs normal without any lag, or only a little near Harnquist, I don't think that RAM is the poblem, also.

Ithwaynn

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 03:29:52 pm »
Could this be due to the new glsl piece or whatever its called? The library that replaces openGL?

For at least one player, I know reverting to openGL helped.

iriss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 03:44:39 pm »
 Well, i also think this might be the problem. However if I add "Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_ARB_shader_objects = false" to the planeshift.cfg
 File, PS does not even start up. Is ther any other way to revert back to openGL?

Ithwaynn

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 04:43:07 pm »
An error log of PS with "Video.OpenGL.UseExtension.GL_ARB_shader_objects = false" could be interesting...

Oh..and just to rule it out...I hope you added that line without the quotes. ;)

And actually PS changed to be more openGL conform...not less. GLSL is the shading language of openGL. Before that PlaneShift used Cg shaders which are a nvidia invention. So openGL was not replaced at all.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »
for me once I updated to the newest Mac OS I can't play with enable VBO box checked. Having that box checked is crash before the game gets loaded. If you have that box checked you might want to uncheck it and try again.

As to the question of falling through the world try turning off grass and or turning on background loading world. Turning on background loading world solved the falling off the map issue for me.