Author Topic: Graphics problems (and npc and targeting problems) differ for different accounts  (Read 402 times)

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
I am on a Mac Book Pro, dual Intel core, 4GB, with a NVIVIA GeForce 8600M GT (ROM revision 3212).

Several crashes, shader glitches and out-of-bounds loops (which eventually prevented me from logging back in until a GM relocated me) all varied and progressively got worse until now the problems seem stable. However (and this seems the unique thing) when I log one character and then log out and log in another character, then problems differ, and they do this consistently.

With the first character the world look ok except I am a ghostly yellow and blue nothing and all the npc are gone, and no players can be seen, as well as items like bottles on shelfs in the arena. (However I can communicate with players.) I cannot target anything except for myself. Also the shape of my character reacts like an out of bounds are leaving the pointer image everywhere as I mouse over that spot.

With the second character (using a different account), the world has the problem of not have any graphics except for the initial screen shot which gets covered by the pointer or npc figures as I mouse or move. I can see weapons in my hands clearly. My body as well as npc are just dark forms, but the npcs are there and I can target them (but I cannot target myself). I do not know about other players because none were near.

Please let me know if you want copies of console info (lots). Also I completely removed all PS files and stuff from my system (including the stubborn font which required a re-boot before it could be deleted). I then downloaded a fresh version and installed it. I changed the read/write access as had been suggested by some and ran the launcher, got updates, then ran the program. The many same crashes as observed by others occurred, but the point here is that using this same program and logging in (not simultaneously, but sequentially alternating), I got quite different results as explained above.  I cannot find any reason for the difference from my system so suspect that maybe some user-unique information stored on the server might contribute to the differences and perhaps to the shader problems as well.

It is my hope that this little piece of information may give some idea to a developer in their work to fix things. I await the opportunity to once again play. Thanks.

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
An update:  We decided to try going through the death realm.
Qata now can see npc and players and target them.
Zytor can see all but cannot target himself, only npc (have not been near a player to try that yet)
Graphics seem to be similar now. I added the #4 suggestion in the readme file. However, it did noy work as suggested. I added it at the end of the psclient.cfg file in the application folder. If I take it out, all goes black.
I forgot to mention before that my Mac OS x is version 10.6.2

I still suspect something on the server contributing to the problem which could be account dependent.