Author Topic: concern about repairing weapons  (Read 2777 times)

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
concern about repairing weapons
« on: December 17, 2009, 07:05:47 pm »
I have lowered the value of a pair of axes and a pair of sabers by repairing them. It seems there may be some bug involved. The axes were 299/300 and repaired to 296/296. The sabers were 290/291 repaired to 284/284.  I am level 50 in weapon repair.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:51:25 pm by neko kyouran »

katu

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Settings Developer
    • View Profile
    • ghozm.org

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: WARNING: DO NOT REPAIR WEAPONS
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 01:45:47 am »
it's how it's supposed to work :)

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 03:09:13 am »
weltall, i have level 5 (4 maybe i forgot) repair and my weapons' values only go down one per repair. he's level 50 and his are going down 7.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 06:53:02 am »
it's all depending on the quality of the weapon.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:18 am »
Of course a repaired weapon shall not reach the current maximum quality again. But it should not get worse than the current actual quality either... or should it? Is that an expression of the idea that a grind stone scratches the blade always to some worse quality, so a (nearly) perfect blade can never be repaired to any quality beyond a threshold using repair kits -- or that repair kits are simply the wrong tool if you want to repair a blade to perfection?

Wow, PlaneShift is *that* realistic! :o

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:08:48 am »
When you take a sharpening stone to a blade, you do wind up losing a little bit of metal in the process.  However, what he's talking about is that the Q loss when repairing is STILL too high (esp. at high skill levels).

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 11:26:12 am »
that has been fixed for an entire release

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »
I have lowered the value of a pair of axes and a pair of sabers by repairing them. It seems there may be some bug involved. The axes were 299/300 and repaired to 296/296. The sabers were 290/291 repaired to 284/284.  I am level 50 in weapon repair.
That sounds about right. The idea is that a repair does wear the weapon down. It should make the economy more involving people who are good in repair and/or people crafting new weapons. Now that you know a repair will cost you that much quality, you will learn not to repair until your actual quality is way below that value. In total, depending on your skills, you should be able to use the weapon quite some time, but then you will buy a new one.
Things may still need tweaking, but should be OK in general. Do not repair high quality weapons if you do not have the skill to repair them, you will ruin them. If you have skill, do not repair if not needed.

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 04:41:54 pm »
It's how it's supposed to work ????
Now let me ponder this.

Why would one spend the amount of time it takes to practice and learn weapon repair? …and the time to do the repair on special weapons as well? Further why would one use the magical or special weapons if they know they cannot repair them to a better quality once worn? Are the special hard to find weapons just for collectors? It would seem that if one has the skill (of repair) they should be able to use that to an advantage of keeping special weapons longer or being able to profit from offering repair services. How much might someone pay to have their Dark Fine Saber restored after having its advantage for a special duel? Would not they wish to use it again? (These are not crafted weapons and not cheep, reguardless of what Harnquist pays!) And to repair only when worn a lot, ...well what good might be a 20/20 Dark Fine Saber? No, I really think a fine weapon should be keep as close to its maximum for as long as one can, then replaced with another.

And what of armor repair? Is it now as ineffective as weapon repair?

Repairing things does seem a very small part of this world, but it is the small things that really put life into this existence. (Is not there some thought that every skill is just as important to that character's development and role in this world?)

more thoughts:
One skilled in repair should expect that the maximum quality would go down over time, and just as well they should expect that the actual quality would always go up with repair. A novice repairer might find less improvement and longer time is required or even nothing but experience. A master should be able to gain from their skill.

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 05:03:41 pm »
Yep, repairs destroy armor as well. I am just not going to do any more repairs until this gets fixed. Too bad as I had some interesting RP ideas using repairs.

Bovek Pelequn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: concern about repairing weapons
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 07:11:54 pm »
1% loss isn't nearly "destroyed".  Weapons have lasted nearly forever up to now, and that has been an issue for crafters and balance-minded players for a long time.  Now they don't last forever, and here come the rest of you.

Search some and you'll see the forums will bear this out...those effected haven't been the least bit silent on this point.

Yes, we're starting in on some balance stuff, and it won't all come overnight, so as we transition, there may be some tuning to be done.

:beta:

-stf-

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:03:41 pm »
1% loss isn't nearly "destroyed".  Weapons have lasted nearly forever up to now, and that has been an issue for crafters and balance-minded players for a long time.  Now they don't last forever, and here come the rest of you.
Little wrong calculation: Q295/297 weapon got repaired to Q288!!! It's not 1% but 2,3%. But another question is, how it can be repaired to lower quality, than it has before repair? That is damage, not repair. While repairing, the resulting quality should be somewhere between 295 and 297 in this case (while calculating 75% of 2 damage in quality is 1,5 and maybe rounded down 1, then resulting quality should be 296 or 296,5 while using real numbers).

bilbous

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 02:13:36 am »
what you seem to be looking for is a polish sub-skill with which you could buff out nicks and scratches after every use, indeed that is how to train repair without cheating, you get a pack full of cheap weapons and scratch them up with a partner or against mobs. This might make a good future addition, apprentices could train polishing until their master deems them ready for something more substantial.

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 06:33:13 am »
I guess what I am looking for (or expecting) in repairs is something that makes sense and is fair.

It is fair that both quality number go down over USE of the weapon or armor, the first more than the second. But the first number should never go down because of a repair. The first number should always show some repair, of course limited by the second number. The second number really determines the life of the weapon or armor, and yes should be reasonable with all other elements of the game. However what has now been done is extremely unfair, much more so than it was before.

Why all this interest toward favoring crafting? Be fair to all aspects or trades. Do you know how long was spent practicing repairs to get to some decent levels? Have you done this in-game or just at the drawing board? Do you know how long it takes to repair a magical weapon? Do you know how discouraging it is to spend all that time, while believing your developing a cool skill, to find out it is just more effective to sell the old stuff and buy new?

And, what seems to be some whimsical attitude to how things should work, is there any understanding about fine weaponry? Example: One who has a valuable sword (like a samurai) demonstrates their knowledge and respect for the arts by keeping it in prime condition. If it becomes 299/300 or 49/50, they spend time to repair it best they can. (and that means it goes back to 300/300 or 50/50) At some point it may wear to 298/299 the repair being only to 299. At some point it may get to 280/298, well maybe then it only gets repaired to 290/298 or maybe 294/294. These are just examples, you should grasp the idea here.

I would guess few did repairs due to the cost, mainly in time. I learned it to repair magical items. I would guess that now likely no one will do repairs as it is just not worth the effort, just buy new.

I like my weapons to be in top condition. When after much use and several repairs they get to 250/250, I enjoy giving them to a noob and buying new ones. Some only get to 280/280.

And if fairness seems a goal, why not have the special weapons last as long as crafted or else have the ability to craft special weapons. In any case though, all should be able to be decently repaired. Otherwise just remove repairs from the game (same for armor repair).